PDA

View Full Version : How to destroy a spacestation?

Devi-Lee
September 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM
So is this mission in the demo just for laughs and it's not meant to be completed?

Alpha Kodiak
September 25th, 2003, 03:34 PM
The secret to taking out a starbase is in the weapons you employ and how you use them. It really isn't hard, but it takes a while.

1. Equip your ship with either long range torpedoes or toxic injectors.

2. If you have torps (range 180), figure out what the max range of the base weapons is (usually 140). Sit outside of their weapon range and keep pounding. It will take a while since you will basically have to peal off all of the shields and armor, but it will die eventually. If you have toxic injectors, your max range and their max range will probably be the same, but you can move. Slip into range, launch, then slip out of range and watch their shots detonate harmlessly before reaching your ship. Toxic injectors work through the shields and armor, so you will not see any damage to the base, but when all of its crew is dead, the base will die. This process is slightly quicker than the torps, but still takes a while, so be patient.

3. Pick up the goodies and find a place to sell them.

That's all there is to it. Make sure you have cleared the area of any hostile ships or other defenses before you start on the base, because you are a sitting duck while you are working over the base.

Devi-Lee
September 25th, 2003, 03:56 PM
THNX that did it! A couple of shots with lvl 10 virus torpedoes and it was destroyed. BUT I didn't get any message that a mission was completed. Upon returning back to base I can't continue in the storyline because the mission isn't complete. WTF? What can I do.

[ September 25, 2003, 15:12: Message edited by: Devi-Lee ]

Alpha Kodiak
September 25th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Hmmm... I have been working with the latest release beta, so I haven't tried the release demo. I did complete the first beta demo, so at that point the mission completed properly (I killed it with toxic injectors, too). How is the mission listed in the mission log (completed, failed, or ongoing)?

Devi-Lee
September 25th, 2003, 04:59 PM
"In progress" I reloaded a previous savegame and destroyed it again but nothing changed. I just can't get mission complete message. I even went back to homebase and then back to the system of the enemy base... guess what it wasn't there anymore. Maybe a patch is in order?

Alpha Kodiak
September 25th, 2003, 06:58 PM
When I have a chance, I will load up the release demo and run through it to see what happens. Unfortunately, that may take some time. Has anyone else passed this point of the demo?

EDIT: The other thing you may want to do is send a copy of the save to Malfador, along with a description of the situation. If there is a bug, that might help him find it.

[ September 25, 2003, 18:00: Message edited by: Alpha Kodiak ]

Phoenix-D
September 25th, 2003, 10:09 PM
I blew the starbase using hit and run tactics, lots of shield restorers, CSMs, and APBs. No bug afterwards.

Devi-Lee
September 26th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Can someone please help me? I've bought the biggest cruiser there is in the demo, and yet I still can't destroy the spacestation. I'm firing away trying always to hit the same side of it but eventually my shields fail and it pummels me to death. Please help.

Suicide Junkie
September 26th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Well, it does outmass you by a very large factor, and has no engines, but weapons and shields instead.

If you really want to try anyways, hit and run is probably a good idea; once your shields start to collapse, leave and recharge. Then return to finish the job.

You can also hide behind a nearby planet or asteroid in order to avoid much of the return fire.

Trev
September 27th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Is this spacestation you're talking about very different to the one at the start that gives you your orders?

I killed that with basic light weapons on the starter ship. This is quite a tactical game.

Hotfoot
September 29th, 2003, 04:26 AM
When I went to go blow up that station, I used its nearby planet. Not for cover, though...I'd use it to repair.

See, even though you're bLasting the heck out of their space station in orbit, the people on the planet below still figure your money is good, so they'll patch you up (after all, those darn space pirates are everyone's problem...why, we heard that there were some space pirates attacking our station! Go give 'em hell, you Terran Scum!), which of course allows me to continually strafe the station in my brand new Mark III Cruiser that I bought special for the occasion. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Phoenix-D
September 29th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Actually, you don't even need the planet. You can use the station itself. (at least for the Terran one, not sure you can dock with the others)

DeadZone
September 29th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
Actually, you don't even need the planet. You can use the station itself. (at least for the Terran one, not sure you can dock with the others)<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Ive been able to dock with all stations

DeadZone
September 29th, 2003, 08:57 AM
How to destroy a spacestation? <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Get the biggest ship, the best weapons, and pound that b!&%h until it dies

Sry couldnt resist

One thing tho, spin and let your side and rear shields/armor take a beating too you will Last alot longer

rothas
September 29th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I reconfigured my Cruser Mark III with 2 80Kt sheilds (lv 12) up front and two cap missle lanchers and just sat there and shot it to peices. I recharged the sheilds as necessary.

[ September 29, 2003, 14:07: Message edited by: rothas ]

narf poit chez BOOM
September 30th, 2003, 08:19 AM
hi, welcome to the forums.

cheese?

Captain
October 1st, 2003, 07:07 AM
The first time I destroyed the alien space station I use the biggest shield generator (~5k) and armor (~3k) I could find, and lots of emergency shield capacitors. I also had four point defense cannons to stop over half the incoming missles. I stripped off all side and rear armor and shields to save weight. The second time, I sat at out of rage and just fired the long range missles.

Freeport Station is very easy to take out since it doesn't fire on you at first. Get to within 20 range, and a full salvo takes out an entire side's shields and armor. Second salvo is all internal damage.

I would think the full game would have upgraded space stations compared to the demo.

Iansidious
October 1st, 2003, 11:39 PM
The starbase problem is the same with me and a friend.I blew him into shrapnel using tachyon cannons and using the hit and run method.When I went back to freeport my contact doesn't respond.I remember my contact said something about destroying the Amonkrie fleets I've been doing this for some time.I guess I need more time.[love the game http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif ]

Baron Munchausen
October 2nd, 2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Devi-Lee:
Can someone please help me? I've bought the biggest cruiser there is in the demo, and yet I still can't destroy the spacestation. I'm firing away trying always to hit the same side of it but eventually my shields fail and it pummels me to death. Please help.<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">The AI in Starfury is vulnerable in exactly the same way as the AI in Space Empires. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif It can't vary its designs at all, and it can't vary its strategy at all. You can load up on shields and shield regenerators, and the best weapons you can find. Then 'hit and run' will generally work because you can sit out of range and regenerate faster than the starbase. I'd prefer using a battleship to take on a starbase myself http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif but I guess that's not available in the demo. Sniping is another option once you get the longest range weapon available (a missile of some sort) -- IF the starbase doesn't also have them. Terran starbases are a real ***** because they always have the very latest CSM. Then hit and run might be your only option. I guess that depends on how many PDC you can cram into your ship and still have decent weapons and shields.

Suicide Junkie
October 2nd, 2003, 02:25 AM
The starbase problem is the same with me and a friend.I blew him into shrapnel using tachyon cannons and using the hit and run method.When I went back to freeport my contact doesn't respond<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Check your mission list...
Did you succeed or fail yet?

If so, where were you supposed to meet your contact afterwards?
It is freeport station quite often, but it may be different in this case.

Iansidious
October 3rd, 2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Suicide Junkie:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">The starbase problem is the same with me and a friend.I blew him into shrapnel using tachyon cannons and using the hit and run method.When I went back to freeport my contact doesn't respond<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Check your mission list...
Did you succeed or fail yet?

If so, where were you supposed to meet your contact afterwards?
It is freeport station quite often, but it may be different in this case.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">SJ,my mission list says in progress and I have to report back to freeport spacestation when done but he's not there.Thanks

Suicide Junkie
October 3rd, 2003, 03:33 AM
If the mission is still in progress, then its probably just not time to report back yet. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

I suspect you may need to hunt down the Last of the enemy ships before the mission succeeds.

Iansidious
October 3rd, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Suicide Junkie:
If the mission is still in progress, then its probably just not time to report back yet. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

I suspect you may need to hunt down the Last of the enemy ships before the mission succeeds.<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Thanks!OHHH one more thing. So who are you going to call? SUICIDE JUNKIE!

CW
October 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by DeadZone:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
Actually, you don't even need the planet. You can use the station itself. (at least for the Terran one, not sure you can dock with the others)<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Ive been able to dock with all stations</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Are you sure? What about the one in the pirate system?

Baron Munchausen
October 7th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by CW:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by DeadZone:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
Actually, you don't even need the planet. You can use the station itself. (at least for the Terran one, not sure you can dock with the others)<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Ive been able to dock with all stations</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Are you sure? What about the one in the pirate system?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I've never been able to dock with a pirate starbase. They don't seem to have any features to access. Which is weird. Don't pirates need supplies and information like everyone else?

Verigen
October 8th, 2003, 04:11 PM
I just sat there with point defense cannons and shield/armor repair thingys. Went down very easily.