PDA

View Full Version : Mission Design!! Help!!!

Drake113
October 31st, 2003, 11:39 PM
Ok, I'm trying to make some new missions for my mod. The first one, you have to collect 7 fighters to proceed. So, I'm using Status Component On Player Ship as the trigger, and I've set up the fighter in the Main_Components.txt file have an Event ID of 1. My event in the Main_Events.txt file looks like this:

Event Name := Event Commander Aries 1 Finish
Event Group ID := 0
Event Enabled := False
Event Permanent := False
Event Triggered Only On Map :=
Trigger Conditionals := AND
Number of Triggers := 1
Trigger 1 Type := Status Component On Player Ship
Trigger 1 Param 1 := 1
Trigger 1 Param 2 := 7
Number of Results := 2
Result 1 Type := Mission Completed
Result 1 Param 1 := Mission Commander Aries 1
Result 2 Type := Event Enable
Result 2 Param 1 := Event Commander Aries 2 Start
Result 2 Param 2 := TRUE

Yet every time I get the 7 fighters, the game crashes with a Stack Overflow Error. It only happens if the mission is enabled, and if I set it to a different trigger (Player Changes Credits, for example) everything works fine. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Phoenix-D
November 1st, 2003, 12:39 AM
Try using an actual component, instead of cargo, and see what happens.

Drake113
November 1st, 2003, 02:12 AM
Nope, that didn't work. Good theory, though. Anyone else have any ideas?

Drake113
November 1st, 2003, 02:20 AM
Ok, I think I figured out a workaround. If I add a second condition ("Player Changes Credits"), it works. Weird.

Drake113
November 3rd, 2003, 08:40 PM
Argghh! Now I've got a new problem. Ok, you pick up your fighters, and the next mission you have to go deliver some diplomats. I basically swiped the code for this from Job Abbidon Operations 2 from Main_Jobs.txt, Campaign 2. The pick up and drop off works fine, but for some reason, it also drops off the fighters.
Apparently, when I set an event ID for a component in Main_Components.txt, delivery missions automatically deliver that component ALONG with whatever else you're supposed to deliver.
Any ideas? Anyone?

Phoenix-D
November 3rd, 2003, 09:56 PM
I'd send that one as a bug to MM..unless you've set the event ID in the delivery mission?

Rollo
November 4th, 2003, 02:54 AM
I have also had some problems with event IDs. It seems that ships, cargo, etc. are assigned event IDs, when generated/used for jobs.
I also found out that you can use non-numerical values for the ID. So, when I changed my own event IDs to m1, m2, m3 instead of 1, 2, 3 it worked just fine.

I assume the reason that the fighters are being unloaded is that the diplomats are assigned event ID=1 and mission completion means that all comps with ID=1 (diplomats and fighters in that case) are then unloaded.

For the fighters, try set them not to 1, but to f1 (or whatever).

Hope that helps,
Rollo

Drake113
November 4th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Actually, that didn't work... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon9.gif
Main_Events.txt chokes on using a non-integer value for an event ID when the mission gets loaded.
BUT
You did point me in the right direction! By setting the Fighter's Event ID to something higher (50), it works like a charm. I don't know why I didn't try that earlier. But thanks for your input-- I probably never would have thought to look at entering alternate values on my own, and I probably would have ended up scrapping a mission. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Rollo
November 4th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Drake113:
...Main_Events.txt chokes on using a non-integer value for an event ID when the mission gets loaded...<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">hmm, odd... Non-integer work fine for me. I am using IDs m1, m2 and m3 for some events.

Glad I could help, though. Looking forward to your mod http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif .

Drake113
November 4th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Well, I'm guessing that my problems may stem from not having patched the game... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Don't know how I screwed that up, but if it can be screwed up, trust me to do it.
On the bright side, I did finally sit down and reat the history.txt file for 1.08- Really like the fact that individual campaigns can have their own image and xfile directories... That's going to make things a lot easier.