PDA

View Full Version : 6-sided open-ended die

Saber Cherry
October 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Is this a correct description?

"What is a 6-sided open-ended die? Hmm. Good question! I think it is a die with 6 sides, labeled 0 through 5. It is worth the face value if you roll a 0 through 4, but if you roll a 5, it is worth 5 plus the value of the next roll. Fives can be chained forever, but high rolls become inverse-exponentially rarer."

I've always wondered. People talk about rolling sixes, but if the die was labeled 1,2,3,4,5,6 then it would have discontinuities - you could only roll 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9... note that the six is missing. So I assume it is labeled 0,1,2,3,4,5.

-Cherry

Saber Cherry
October 29th, 2003, 07:34 PM
A quick "Yes" or "No, it's like this:" would be helpful, by the way=) I'm sure somebody knows...

-Cherry

Mephisto
October 29th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Don't know it for DomII but in Shadowrun it's 1,2,3,4,5,7,... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

atul
October 29th, 2003, 07:42 PM
At least in games I've played (pen&paper rpgs) 'open ended' is the usual dice (in this case, 1-6), with highest result (6) giving you a new throw (add to previous result) and lowest result (1) giving you also a new throw (subtract from previous result). Of course, it has a lot to do with commonness of dices labeled 1-6 and rareness of those with numbers from 0 to 5, so in a computer game it might be done differently. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Which makes me think, is the doms system 'open ended' (meaning, negative results possible also) or just 'high open ended' (only 6s (or 5s) result in an additional throw)? If I remember correctly, all the calculations are for the latter, so I'd guess it would be it.

Saber Cherry
October 29th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Dominions I/II is just "High-end open". But as it is a computer game, unreliant on physical dice, I don't see any reason to include an odd discontinuity like in Shadowrun... and there's no way to test it, since all rolls from which you can see the results are based on 2 dice (e.g. a protection die and a damage die).

atul
October 29th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Weren't most battle dices rolled with 2d6? Like ATT+2d6 vs DEF+2d6? Or does my memory fail me? In that case there wouldn't be any discontinuity regardless of numbers used, just a statistical weight on the middle values. Remember, there is no spoo... er... 'discontinuity in that scenario'.

And such things as neat order and common sense have nothing to say when it comes to the hardened habit of an old rpg'er to use dices with numbers from 1 up. Never have thought there would be anything strange with Shadowrun system, but put it that way... yes, the distinction between 'moderately hard' and 'hard' is irrelevant. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Saber Cherry
October 29th, 2003, 08:09 PM
I know some rolls are 2d6, but I thought those were mainly single rolls (like rolls for MR, which have no counter-roll). So, beats me=)

Johan K
October 29th, 2003, 08:52 PM
The dominions d6 is open enden upwards with sixes giving you a new roll. So 1,2,3,4,5,7,8....

Saber Cherry
October 29th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Strange. You silly pen-and-paper gamers=) Thanks for the info.

Chris Byler
October 29th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
I know some rolls are 2d6, but I thought those were mainly single rolls (like rolls for MR, which have no counter-roll). So, beats me=) <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Actually, MR does have a counter roll (at least in Dom I): caster rolls Spell Base Penetration (usually 11) + (power in spell's primary path / 2) + item bonuses + 2d6*, and target rolls MR + dominion bonus (if a god or prophet) +/- magic scale bonus/penalty + item bonuses + 2d6*. (d6* is the open-ended d6). IIRC, caster wins ties.

As you can see this means that most spells will usually not be resisted by average humans (MR 10), even when cast by a relatively low-powered caster.

Of course, I don't know if any of this has changed in Dom II. But I do know that when my God casts Blindness, enemies rarely resist - and he's only level 4 in Fire.

Saber Cherry
October 29th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Spells were too hard to resist in Dominions, IMO... even if your troops had super-human resistance.

Jasper
October 30th, 2003, 12:14 AM
It's awfully hard to judge the MR issue without knowing how much of a bonus the various penetration items give. This is one of the hidden but key aspects of Dominions I would dearly like to know!

Psitticine
October 30th, 2003, 12:32 AM
I don't have formula for MR rolls right here, but I'll post it tonight or tomorrow. It is essentially the same as Chris' Dom I description except that defenders who have power in the spell's magic path get a bonus to their defense.

I believe the penetration bonuses are listed in the items now. There are for most of them, at least, and I don't remember trying to chase down any missing ones when editing the items list.

Saber Cherry
October 30th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Oh, if you or Chris know whether the attack/defense/damage/protection rolls are 1d6* or 2d6*, that would be helpful as well. I hate disseminating falsities.

Psitticine
October 30th, 2003, 01:45 AM
They're all based on 2d6. The exact mechanics behind the combat system, right down to the Last detail, are in the manual. It was a primary focus to get the precise meaning and functionality of those stats clear.

Chris Byler
October 30th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Psitticine:
They're all based on 2d6. The exact mechanics behind the combat system, right down to the Last detail, are in the manual. It was a primary focus to get the precise meaning and functionality of those stats clear. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I want that manual! And it comes with the full Version of the game, too? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

It looks like Dom I's obscure mechanics may be a thing of the past. I like that - it lets players focus on how to take advantage of the mechanics rather than how to figure out what they are.

Psitticine
October 31st, 2003, 03:16 AM
Yup, comes with a bonus CD that includes a copy of the game and everything. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Pocus
October 31st, 2003, 09:06 AM
Psi, if you can confirm that these items (spell focus, rune smasher, ring of wizardry, ring of sorcery, the green eye) have their spell penetration clearly marked it would be cool!

Thanks in advance.

nb : I must have forgotten some, in the artefact class, but you get the idea.