PDA

View Full Version : Battle Simulator ?

iRichard
October 30th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I'm quite surprised to see that nobody pointed out the lack (???) of battle simulator.

I don't own Dom1 but IMHO it is the only missing feature of the Dom1 demo. (understand : the only significant diff between game and demo for a casual "pretender")

I will own Dom2 and I hope this won't be THE missing feature.

Have a good time spreading your dominions...

[ October 30, 2003, 21:49: Message edited by: iRichard ]

Saber Cherry
October 30th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Um, yeah, so far it's not scheduled for inclusion. But it is on the Master List of things people want.

-Cherry

Gandalf Parker
October 31st, 2003, 01:53 AM
It didnt really serve the purposes for the advanced players. They just learned how to add a few lines to a .MAP file so two races had the units they wanted, then played a game on it.
Not much slower and much more controllable, not to mention more realiztic

iRichard
October 31st, 2003, 10:52 AM
Gandalf, I don't think that new or casual players (I don't like that word : newbies) have time to use complicated trick to learn how to defeat indep without using too much ressource/gold or to kill their god...

I don't think Illwinter/Sharpnel say : we improved UI and GFX, welcome to you new players !!

and add :

Oh, BTW, we forgot to included the "school of tactical fighting", sorry, ask vet for any information you desire.

PhilD
October 31st, 2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
It didnt really serve the purposes for the advanced players. They just learned how to add a few lines to a .MAP file so two races had the units they wanted, then played a game on it.
Not much slower and much more controllable, not to mention more realiztic <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Still, including the simulator in the game would make life much simpler for most people (not everyone is as happy as you are changing their files, Gandalf).

And, letting one set all relevant variables (using an "advanced" button) would help, too. Would it really be that hard? I mean, the battle engine must access all that data to resolve battles, so it should be a minor pain to code...

MythicalMino
October 31st, 2003, 03:19 PM
it seems that i read somewhere that they dropped the idea for a number of reasons...one being it was too buggy....

I could be wrong (and I probably am), but i could swear I read that somewhere

Endoperez
November 1st, 2003, 02:18 AM
This might not be that important anymore, depending from what we can do with the map editor. If we are able to add units/commanders, or even if we can add a spesific code to a certain province from the mad editor, much more people will be able to do it easily. Besides, a fan-made map editor could do this if one is ever done.

Mortifer
November 1st, 2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
Not much slower and much more controllable, not to mention more realiztic <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">I don't agree Gandalf. If the mod tools will be out, and we will mod like crazy....we will make total new units with different abilities etc...a battle sim would be very helpful.

However there are lot more imprtant things to do first...mod tools, upgrading the strat AI, maybe diplomacy..er hopefully... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Gandalf Parker
November 1st, 2003, 04:04 PM
I dont want to make anyone feel like they are left out or latecomers. But I feel a need to at least mention that this subject was discussed to death in the newsGroups over Dom 1. Many of the "improvements" in the game are due to those discussions along with many things getting a lower priority

The BattleSim did get alot of use but if fell short because of all the things you couldnt do with it that you could do in the game. The desires for adding all of those things eventually brought it up to the point of... might as well do it in the game.

Originally posted by Endoperez:
This might not be that important anymore, depending from what we can do with the map editor. If we are able to add units/commanders, or even if we can add a spesific code to a certain province from the mad editor, much more people will be able to do it easily. Besides, a fan-made map editor could do this if one is ever done. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">THAT is a wonderful insite that the map editor might fill the bill. Or a 3rd party tool which would be really simple to write. Someone could make a tiny 3-province map just for testing (two castles and a place to meet). Give both nations the units you want to test then play that map. This would allow you to set scripts, set formations, set spells, even give particular magic items.