PDA

View Full Version : Dominions II In-Game Typos

Edi
October 31st, 2003, 07:30 AM
I thought that typos really don't need to be mentioned in the threads that deal with real bugs, so why not gather them here? If the thread is stickied, it'll be easy for IW to check for updates, and they can fix them if they've got the time or inclination.

I will confess here that I'm something of a grammar nazi in the sense that typos annoy me supremely out of proportion to their actual impact (such as the Dom-PPP typo that causes enemy forces to consist mainly of "commander of Ulms" when it should say "commanders of Ulm").

Of course, other than that, lack of typos gives the impression of a more polished product, so fixing them is a good idea in this sense.

I will also add that none of the typos I've seen (haven't yet actually seen the DomII demo, so Dom-PPP is what I'm basing this on here) are big ones, but mainly small, relatively unimportant ones and perfectly understandable given that English is not the native language of the IW people. Some of them (like my example from Dom-PPP) also result from game mechanics, unless every unit gets programmed with both singular and plural forms with checks for when which is used, which just seems like far too much trouble for absolutely no gain.

Anyway, that's for the thread introduction, now start listing them. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Edi

[ March 24, 2004, 04:44: Message edited by: Zen ]

geo981010
October 31st, 2003, 08:07 AM
1) The Diseased affliction description says your troop will "loose" hit points each turn, where it should be "lose"

2) Nature Magic Description says "A Mage of this paths...". Probably should be "A Mage of this path ..." or maybe "A mage of these paths ..."

Calanor
October 31st, 2003, 08:52 AM
Pythium has access to a hero with the title ehem "hero". While this Hero's actual name seems to be randomly chosen, his desc will begin with "Hierogallus is an old Serpent Lord...". Oops..! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

HJ
October 31st, 2003, 10:38 AM
From another thread (sorry St. Patrik for putting them there):
- Demon description should say "spells that target undead" instead of "spells that targets undead".
- When scouting provinces, military report says that "the army is composed mainly of hastatus", while for all other units the plural is used. So, princeps (I think this is wrong in the unit description as well, it's called principe or something) - principes, hastatus - hastati, triarius - triarii.

[ October 31, 2003, 08:38: Message edited by: HJ ]

st.patrik
October 31st, 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by HJ:
From another thread (sorry St. Patrik for putting them there):
- Demon description should say "spells that target undead" instead of "spells that targets undead".
- When scouting provinces, military report says that "the army is composed mainly of hastatus", while for all other units the plural is used. So, princeps (I think this is wrong in the unit description as well, it's called principe or something) - principes, hastatus - hastati, triarius - triarii. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">It's all good. It's probably easier for the devs if they're separated out like this.

I'm sure I saw a couple (of typos) - I'll keep my eyes open.

HJ
November 1st, 2003, 06:03 AM
In the description of the spell "Royal power" with C'tissan Desert tombs theme, it says that "the effect is identical to Unholy Power". I'm guessing that the Unholy Power spell is the Ermorian Version of the C'tissan spell Power of the Grave. Since the unholy spells apparently have different names for C'tis and Ermor, the description should be "the effect is identical to Power of the Grave".

Calanor
November 1st, 2003, 08:23 AM
I guess you could call the following a "typo":

The info given to the player when you right-click on items in the forge displays the unmodified cost for making that item. Now, if you happen to be a Master Smith or wield a Dwarven Hammer and so forth, the displayed cost won't correspond to the actual cost. That can be somewhat confusing.

Chris Byler
November 1st, 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by HJ:
In the description of the spell "Royal power" with C'tissan Desert tombs theme, it says that "the effect is identical to Unholy Power". I'm guessing that the Unholy Power spell is the Ermorian Version of the C'tissan spell Power of the Grave. Since the unholy spells apparently have different names for C'tis and Ermor, the description should be "the effect is identical to Power of the Grave". <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Also, Desert Tombs has two different unholy spells with the same name; one of them has incomplete spell effect description (it doesn't list all the normal stats of range, area of effect, precision and fatigue).

An unrelated typo: the description for female pretenders calls them "a Pretender Godess". That should be "Goddess".

Calanor
November 1st, 2003, 11:27 PM
Female Pretenders seem to have to frequently put up with being taken for a male. Titles such as "God of the Invincible Power" and "He Who is at the Center" are some examples.

Calanor
November 2nd, 2003, 05:47 PM
Normally, if a unit has an affliction that affects one of its stats, this is mentioned when you right-click on that stat (e.g. the loss of an eye is mentioned when you right-click on Precision, along with the -3 penalty involved). However, Feeblemind is not mentioned by any of the stats it affects, even though it is considered when the game calculates the current stat levels.

[ November 02, 2003, 15:48: Message edited by: Calanor ]

Calanor
November 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM
The Master Alchemist's description reads (typo's in boldface):

"The Master Alchemist is an alchemist of such great power that he has taken the role of a Pretender God. The Great Scholar is a master of magic alchemy and is often adept in several of the magic Paths."

November 3rd, 2003, 10:40 AM
Not sure, but I suggest the following change in the "events".

“A triton prince has come to you in search of the fabled Orb of Atlantis. He and his retinue was so impressed by your wondrous palaces that he swore his allegiance to you”. Replace was with were.
“An old tower surrounded by wisps of mist was found on a high mountaintop. The owner of the tower agreed to help you for a meagre fifty pounds of gold and a couple of virgins”. Replace meagre by meager.
“Gold deposits have been found and a new mine is being built. Tax revenues have been premanently increased by 30 pounds of gold”. Replace premanently by permanently.
“An annatural plague has swept the province killing thousands”. Not sure but annatural should be replaced by unnatural I believe.
“Great treasures was found!”. Replace was by were, or write A great treasure was found.
“A grand festival was held in your honour”. Replace by honor.
A wave of religious zeal / A group of zealots. Replace comitted by committed.
“Realizing the power of the beatiful and ever growing nature”. Beautiful.
“The temperature has dropped considerably and blizzards devastates the land”. Devastate.
“A sect of dark cultists have appeared in your province”. Remove have.
“A group of visiting heroes have decided to rid this province from your unfair rulership”. I’d say Visiting heroes have, or A group of visiting heroes decided.
“Trolls living under bridges have killed and eaten travellers crossing the bridges”. Travelers.
“Heavy snowfalls has blocked important mountain roads”. Have.
“Rain has been pouring down and the entire province is severly flooded”. Severely.
“People here are very unruly and have destroyed valuable equipment that is neccessary for us”.
In different Messages: replace defence by defense.
In different Messages: “Tax losses was xxx pounds of gold”. Should be loss, or were.

Johan K
November 3rd, 2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Calanor:
Female Pretenders seem to have to frequently put up with being taken for a male. Titles such as "God of the Invincible Power" and "He Who is at the Center" are some examples. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Which goddess does this happen for?

Edit: Never mind, found it.

[ November 03, 2003, 11:23: Message edited by: Johan K ]

Leif_-
November 3rd, 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Sunray_be:

?A grand festival was held in your honour?. Replace by honor.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">"Honour" is the correct British-English spelling. Since Illwinter is a Swedish company, I'd expect that they're using that rather than American-English spelling. (Not to split hairs - it's just that I personally prefer the "ou" spelling, and I don't want to see it changed. :-P )

Ed Kolis
November 3rd, 2003, 06:54 PM
In the description of the "Bind Heliophagii" spell, there is one instance where the plural (Heliophagii) is used where the singular should be used (Heliophagus). (Sorry I forget where, I don't have the game with me now http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif )

HJ
November 3rd, 2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
In the description of the "Bind Heliophagii" spell, there is one instance where the plural (Heliophagii) is used where the singular should be used (Heliophagus). (Sorry I forget where, I don't have the game with me now http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif ) <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Actually, it should be "Heliophagi" instead of "Heliophagii", as the singular is Heliophagus and not Heliophagius.

HJ
November 4th, 2003, 08:27 AM
A few more:

- in the description of Blood Boil spell, it should say "one of the few blood magic spells that don't require" instead of "one of the few blood magic spells that doesn't require"

- in Moloch's description, it says that he has fire 2, while in fact he has fire 3 when you go to the magic screen

- Blood of Humans theme is not listed in race description of Abysia

HJ
November 4th, 2003, 09:51 PM
The description of the Amulet of the Fish starts with "This gives". I think the intention was to say "This amulet gives".

Yes, I'm really savouring the details of the game, and I read every description. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

georgevtucker
November 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM
[cut]

[ November 10, 2003, 18:25: Message edited by: georgevtucker ]

Phoenix-D
November 8th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by HJ:
A few more:

- in the description of Blood Boil spell, it should say "one of the few blood magic spells that don't require" instead of "one of the few blood magic spells that doesn't require"
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Umm, you sure you don't have that backwards? From your quote, doesn't reads correctly..

"One of the few blood magic spells that do not require"

vs

"One of the fhew blood magic spells that does not require"

Second is correct.

HJ
November 8th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by HJ:
A few more:

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Umm, you sure you don't have that backwards? From your quote, doesn't reads correctly..

vs

Second is correct. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">"Spells that do not require" is a complete phrase, I believe, and that's why I think it shouldn't be "doesn't". The "do not require" part describes the group that this particular spell is part of, not the spell itself.

I guess that we should ask someone like georgevtucker to be sure. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Phoenix-D
November 8th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by HJ:
Spells that do not require" is a complete phrase, I believe, and that's why I think it shouldn't be "doesn't". The "do not require" part describes the group that this particular spell is part of, not the spell itself.

I guess that we should ask someone like georgevtucker to be sure. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Right, but it doesn't say spells that do not require. It says "One of the few" first, which changes the word after a bit..right or wrong, do -sounds- wrong to me.

Pocus
November 8th, 2003, 09:38 PM
god title : patron of abitrators.

a 'r' is missing. Arbiter

Taqwus
November 9th, 2003, 06:21 AM
-- From skimming the strings in the Linux binary:

(notes below biased by American English habits...)

Wispering Legion: should probably be Whispering. Check list of mercenary bands.

Celestial Apostats: Should this be "Apostates"?

"The spell wasn't targetet at a forest and had no effect." appears; either 'strings' is messing up or s/targetet/targeted/.

"The spell did not find a suitable target fortification and was effectless", probably s/effectless/ineffectual/.

"The fortification in this province was temporary breached by the spell": s/temporary/temporarily/.

"Mighty storms blew the %s off target. The spell struck an emtpy location". s/emtpy/empty/. Also appears in "The was no suitable target for the %s. The spell struck an emtpy location", which needs s/the/there/ for the first sentence as well. Well, s/emtpy/empty/g.

Grammar: Gems and girls, being countable, should appear in "huge numbers", not "huge amounts". This appears with the wish-fulfillment text.

"The entire earth trembeled" -- s/trembeled/trembled/. Armageddon wish.

"Vanheim have leaders that can sail..." s/have/has/. Tip text.

"Ambidexterous soldiers do not suffer from as much attack..." Matter of taste, but consider s/suffer from as much/suffer as much from/, or even s/do not suffer from as much/incur lower/.

"Only a few items grants the wearer..." s/grants/grant/. Right afterwards, "Other forces the owner" s/other forces/others force/.

"%s's summoning was sucessfull, but"... s/successfull(\w)/successful$1/g well, if \w is word-boundary anyway.

PvK
November 9th, 2003, 07:11 PM
I think the between-turns tip about Soulless and how they are equipped based on their living form, has a typo where the word "were" should be "where". I only had a few seconds to look at it though, so maybe I was reading it wrong.

Also, the tip about visiting the illwinter web site to look for patches should read "to see if there are any" rather than "to see if there is any".

PvK

[ November 09, 2003, 18:10: Message edited by: PvK ]

Psitticine
November 10th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by HJ:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by HJ:
A few more:

vs

Second is correct. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">"Spells that do not require" is a complete phrase, I believe, and that's why I think it shouldn't be "doesn't". The "do not require" part describes the group that this particular spell is part of, not the spell itself.

I guess that we should ask someone like georgevtucker to be sure. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">It should be "One of the few Blood magic spells that does not require . . ."

A singular subject ("one") requires a singular verb ("does").

HJ
November 10th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Psitticine:
It should be "One of the few Blood magic spells that does not require . . ."

A singular subject ("one") requires a singular verb ("does"). <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Unless you view it as a part of the group, and you're describing the group with the subsequent phrase, then it would require a plural verb. It depends on what "that" refers to. I think it refers to describing the spell group, and that it's not a part of the predicate, but rather a descriptive attribute of the noun "spells", as there is another part of the sentence following that phrase. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
Doesn't really matter, of course.

[ November 10, 2003, 02:32: Message edited by: HJ ]

Pocus
November 10th, 2003, 12:57 PM
there is no range indicated in the spell description of quickening.

HJ
November 11th, 2003, 07:35 AM
In race description of Tien Chi under Dominion it says "Conscription (defense increseases in provinces with order)" - should be "increases".

st.patrik
November 14th, 2003, 05:24 AM
In case this hasn't been pointed out, there's a magic site called 'wispering woods' - should be 'whispering woods'

st.patrik
November 17th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Apologies if this has been pointed out already.

I saw a magic site called 'Volcanoe'. Should read 'Volcano' methinks.

HJ
November 18th, 2003, 03:43 AM
One of the celestial summoning spells of Tien Chi is lacking description.

November 18th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Just a minor typo edit, you probably have already seen.

In the Dominions 2 Manual. Page 72.

Under Shark Attack on the left hand side, under:

Range: 1

it says

/includegraphics(Air.tff)

Taqwus
November 18th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Enemy-dominion candles are red, not black (the latter being what it says in the manual).
It's tangential, but the Shrapnel Games catalog that came with Dom II had a mispelling of Napoleon (think it was "Naploeon") in one part of the Austerlitz listing.

November 19th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Do you need more manual typos?

Or have you caught them? I have a few more of the "image" typos in my manual; if you haven't already addressed that and are only looking for in game items.

Johan K
November 20th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Nah, I don't need the image typos. It's a bit late for that, the manuals are already printed after all.

Psitticine
November 20th, 2003, 04:40 AM
The way the game is selling (based on what Tim has posted), I wouldn't be surprised if there is a reprint on the manual some day. It might be good to collect any typos there for future use.

Taqwus
November 20th, 2003, 06:25 PM
In the "what do nations get for province defense" manual table, the word "Eunuch" appears as "Enuch" once.
The Banefire Lord is named Antrax in his unit name, but Anthrax in the description.

Taqwus
November 20th, 2003, 06:36 PM
One might argue that the omission of "Enter Site", "Corrupt Commander", "Seduce Commander" is a typo in the manual's list of commander orders. "Enter Site", at least, can be pretty important.

Taqwus
November 21st, 2003, 07:30 PM
With the addition of themes, the "Black Laurel" description should be made more specific. Only Ashen Empire Ermor can revive Lictors, I think; Soul Gate does not appear to. So the description could be narrowed to only refer to Ermor (Ashen Empire).

November 23rd, 2003, 08:32 AM
In the Barbarian Kings Theme for T'ien Ch'i, Celestial Masters have a Leadership of 15 on the highlight; but in actuality when you build them they have 20 Leadership.

Argitoth
November 23rd, 2003, 11:16 PM
T'ien C'hi = Book
T'ien Ch'i = Game

I also noticed in the manual, many times there were missing commas, for example

"This, this and this." It shoudl really be:
"This, this, and this."

[ November 23, 2003, 21:17: Message edited by: Argitoth ]

Chris Byler
November 24th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Zen:
In the Barbarian Kings Theme for T'ien Ch'i, Celestial Masters have a Leadership of 15 on the highlight; but in actuality when you build them they have 20 Leadership. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Did the one you checked get his random in fire? Each level of fire magic adds 5 to normal leadership. CM actually have 10 base leadership, +5 for their fixed point of fire. If they get a random in fire, that makes it 20. (If a S&A CM gets both his randoms in fire, that makes it 25, but that's only 1 chance in 64.)

Experience also increases leadership. I think commanders with 10 base leadership get +5 per star (at least for the first couple of stars - it might go up after that?)

HJ
November 24th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Pazuzu is refered as "Pazazu" once in his description text.

PvK
November 24th, 2003, 02:47 AM
"Parts of our army was lured in the wild forest and never seen again."

- should be:

"Parts of our army were lured into the wild forest and never seen again."

PvK

HJ
November 26th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Limne the Queen of the Lake is refered to as "Rinna" once in her description text. And she can summon allies, but the description doesn't say which ones (for everybody else I've seen so far it does say specifically).

[ November 26, 2003, 06:05: Message edited by: HJ ]

Orlanth
December 2nd, 2003, 12:29 AM
"Pikeneers" isn't really a word - should it be pikemen?

HJ
December 2nd, 2003, 02:26 AM
The eater of the dead message reads: "...and if it continus to grow...." - should be "continues".

Saber Cherry
December 2nd, 2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Orlanth:
"Pikeneers" isn't really a word - should it be pikemen? <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">No, you silly MoM player=) "Pikeneers" is cute! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Chris Byler
December 2nd, 2003, 04:07 PM
I've gotten the divine title "Lord of youthful vitality and violence", which seems like it should have more capital letters.

Ed Kolis
December 4th, 2003, 12:46 AM
When a castle is sieged, commanders' order descriptions (at bottom of screen when you hover the mouse over an order) in that province get screwed up - "preach" says something about recalling the god, "empowerment" says something about destroying the lab, and "break siege" says something about a dark lord!

HJ
December 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Hoburg champion's description says they are armed with maces, while in hact they have short swords. THe sprite looks as if it actually has a mace, so I don't know what the intention was.

Orlanth
December 10th, 2003, 12:50 AM
divine title "Patron of Abitrators" -> Arbitrators

R'lyeh summon "Thing of many eyes" -> capital letters

December 12th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Unexpected Event

"An annatural plague has swept the province, killing thousands. In the decaying corpses magic death gems were found. Rumors of the mythical Crown of Darkness has circulated the province ever since"

Should be unnatural .

January 14th, 2004, 10:52 AM
A few things that are missing from at least my manual.

Magic Items

Elf Bane
Stone Sphere

Maybe if IW gets another Print Run for manuals they can do some of the typo adjustments http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif Or maybe just bag that whole section and spells and put them as PDF's http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Johan K
January 14th, 2004, 12:44 PM
They are present in my manual

Elf bane, p 41
Stone sphere, p 46

tka
January 16th, 2004, 08:19 PM
King of Banefires' name is Antrax but in the description he is refered as Anthrax.

Targa
January 22nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
When besieging a castle, you get a message something like:

"We are tearing down the walls but need more time before sucess". (not sure of the exact wording, but I do recall that "success" is misspelled).

Werrd
January 28th, 2004, 01:07 AM
When you attempt to pillage a province and fail, you get a message like "Bitterwind tried to pillage Grey Mirks. 130 people were killed before they put managed to put up defences and repell the pillagers."

The first put should be removed, and repel has an extra l I believe.

February 16th, 2004, 09:39 PM
On the Myrmidon and Myrmidon COmmander unit.

It says "Myrmidons wheild short sword and shields"

Should be:

Myrmidons wield ...

On the Supply Bonus Icon when popped up it says "Supply Bonuss"

Should be:

Supply Bonus

ZJ
February 27th, 2004, 10:57 AM
legionaries is misspelled as "legionaires" everywhere.

fahdiz
March 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ZJ:
legionaries is misspelled as "legionaires" everywhere. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Actually "legionnaire" is the correct word, meaning "a member of a legion". "Legionary" actually means "of, relating to, or constituting a legion" - it is an adjective, not a noun - so Illwinter is quite correct to use "legionnaire".

[ March 02, 2004, 15:02: Message edited by: fahdiz ]

March 13th, 2004, 09:31 AM
On Flaming Weapons: Melee is mispelled.

PhilD
March 13th, 2004, 09:40 AM
I don't know if this has already been mentioned... (is there a way to search a single thread? didn't seem so)

Acashic Record uses a singular even if 2 or more sites were found ("2 magic sites was found in XXX")

Minrhael
March 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Couldn't find these listed yet thru search:

All from casting Wrath of God:

Thus Minrhael *or* Pythium has claimed .... should be of

punish those that regret*s* should be regret, or it's the other way around, can't read my writing now http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

light*n*ing from the sky is missing the middle n.

PvK
March 25th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Incomplete information about "chest wound" affliction: it says Encumbrance +5, which is true, but it doesn't mention it also gives -1 to Strength, which it seems to do.

PvK

Jack Simth
March 25th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by PhilD:
(is there a way to search a single thread? didn't seem so)
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">If you use the "Printer-friendly view of this topic" link at the bottom of the page, you get the entire topic in one page, and can use your browser's search function.

Nonno Cicala
April 13th, 2004, 11:57 PM
In Pythium short-description I read "Pythium uses Legionaires" while in Ermor's one i read "Ermor uses Legionnaires", I suppose if one is correct the other isn't. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
(v 2.11)

[ April 13, 2004, 22:59: Message edited by: Nonno Cicala ]

HotNifeThruButr
April 19th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Legionnaires is correct.

Stab West
April 19th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Dagon, The Renegade Sage have left us and are seeking employment with other nations.
Should be: Dagon, The Renegade Sage has left us and is seeking employment with other nations.

Also the spell description for Smite Demon has a typo divine bold should be divine bolt.

Xendarq
April 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Anytime you siege a castle and - it says something like "We have started to destroy the castle walls but we need more time to succed "

"succed" should be "succeed"

Molog
May 5th, 2004, 10:48 PM
In the description of the mad priest, "more the" should be "more than".

HJ
May 18th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Limne the Queen of the Lake is still refered to as "Rinna" in her description text.

Norfleet
May 22nd, 2004, 11:54 PM
Gender case is mixed when somebody is dominion killed: "And her lifeforce died with his dominion".

Molog
May 27th, 2004, 10:32 PM
With the centaur chariot it says that the chariot is drawn by one enslaved centaur, but later it mentions that the centaurs use spears.

PvK
May 29th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Generic alchemists' (monster 551) description has a typo apparently with the "percent" character on Windows. It shows with the word "50bonus" where it should say "50 percent bonus".

PvK

HJ
June 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Marshmaster's description text reads "...they also follows Paths of..."; should be "follow".

HJ
June 8th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Now that elemental armor has been changed, the text should reflect that, and go from "immune" to "resistant".

PvK
June 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM
"Hectors's Heavy Horsemen" (Merc unit name on Merc screen) should be "Hector's Heavy Horsemen".

PvK

ioticus
June 15th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I honestly can't believe I'm STILL finding grammatical errors in this game. I found another one having to do with Bogus the Troll but I forgot to write it down and forget what is was. Is English not Illwinter's primary language?

Gandalf Parker
June 15th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by splooger:
I honestly can't believe I'm STILL finding grammatical errors in this game. I found another one having to do with Bogus the Troll but I forgot to write it down and forget what is was. Is English not Illwinter's primary language? <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">No its not. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Its also not the primary language, or even the language at all, for the beta testers. There a few English checkers that help alot in that area But feel free to keep posting any grammatical errors you find.

[ June 15, 2004, 19:29: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]

Korva
June 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I'm just getting into this (insanely addictive) game, but I've noticed that Mother Oak and Gift of Health refer to my female Pretenders as male. What about other ritual spells?

June 15th, 2004, 09:44 PM
This is just a Marker for the Dev's with a summary of the Posts below.

PATCH 2.12 --> From Here on Out

Molog
July 2nd, 2004, 04:27 AM
In the message you get when you cast Utterdark there is an ",and" too much at the end of the message.

Molog
July 7th, 2004, 11:29 PM
In the message you get when you cast astral corruption, the Last sentence is not finished.

msew
July 12th, 2004, 09:47 AM
typo in god description:

"the undecievable god"

i before e except after c!

tka
August 27th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Special site 'Archaic Fortress' is spelled as 'Arkaic' at the Fort Statistics screen.

Description of Growth/Death -scale says: "Many a calf is stillborn, ...".

Should it say: "Many calves are stillborn, ..." ?

archaeolept
August 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM
nah, "many a calf is stillborn" is good, somewhat archaic, english.

Ozymandias
August 30th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I got male adjectives with Well of Misery for a female pretender.

Edi
August 31st, 2004, 10:57 AM
WAYMARKER POST

PATCH 2.13 --&gt; here on out

Edi
September 7th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Not serious typos as such but I have discovered the following ones.

Additional effects associated with various weapons:

Unconsiousness --&gt; Unconsciousness.
Area1 holyfire --&gt; Area Holyfire

Various effects are spelled inconsistently, with all of the words capitalized in some, only some words capitalized in others and no words capitalized at all in others (e.g. crusherknack, Extra chest wound, Fire Bonds). If mod commands are case sensitive, this might be an issue in making mods when weapons are added (assuming special effects can be added to weapons in the first place). A good fix would be to just capitalize all words except prepositions and "and" in the relevant places.

Edi

deccan
September 15th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Atlantean scout has no description text.

Alneyan
September 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
The Witch is said to require both a Laboratory and a Temple, but only the Laboratory is actually needed. The Witch in question was recruited in a Hidden Forest, and has one Earth and one Nature.

Speaking of the Atlantian Scout, this unit is also the standard scout for R'lyeh. Is it intended to be so?

Alneyan
September 16th, 2004, 07:34 AM
The description of the Moloch says he will "make its inhabitants slaughter one other". It should be "one another".

Edi
September 16th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Alneyan said:
Speaking of the Atlantian Scout, this unit is also the standard scout for R'lyeh. Is it intended to be so?

I think so. R'lyeh uses enslaved Atlantian troops, like the slave troopers and meteorite guards, so why not Atlantian scouts? Saves the trouble of making a separate scout unit for them. After all, most nations have the same scout unit, monster #426, it's just been defined into their unit selections. I suppose the reason the Atlantian scout doesn't have a description text is that R'lyeh and Atlantis are supposed to be mortal enemies and it'd be difficult to come up with a short description that was nation-specific and accommodated both nations at the same time. I suppose I could try and write one and forward that to Illwinter to see if they think it's good enough to be included in the game.

Edi

deccan
September 21st, 2004, 09:39 AM
Ok, this annoyed me. The "Power of the Eye" scenario says:

"The player who takes control over the Desert Eye or the Void Gate wins."

This is a lie! I just started playing the scenario SP as Ulm, and I happened to start near the Desert Eye, so I just built a big army, hired lots of mercs and crashed into there and managed to successfully storm the place on turn 20 or thereabouts. And I didn't win! Victory condition is 2 points and I found out that each site is worth 1 victory point, so you need both sites!

Kristoffer O
September 23rd, 2004, 04:32 AM
Hmm. Thats bad I suppose. I do not even remember what was intended anymore. Only one should do fine.

Beorne
September 27th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Very little typo:
The hoburg commander is described to have a mace but it is depicted (and has) a shortsword.

Alneyan
October 2nd, 2004, 07:52 PM
The Capricorn does not have a description. I have only seen this unit in Gandalf's random maps however, and so do not know how to recruit it (or can it be actually recruited somewhere? I have yet to see it through "normal" means).

Graeme Dice
October 2nd, 2004, 08:08 PM
Alneyan said:
The Capricorn does not have a description. I have only seen this unit in Gandalf's random maps however, and so do not know how to recruit it (or can it be actually recruited somewhere? I have yet to see it through "normal" means).

This is one of the new units that looks like it fits with an underwater Pangaea/Atlantis theme, complete with Icthysatyrs and such.

Karacan
October 6th, 2004, 10:54 AM
When a unit is mistformed in battle (due to the spell), the mistform icon's description says somewhere "ben" instead of "been".

Cainehill
October 24th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Wish's Armageddon (I'm guessing that's what it was) has a typo, when it says "The entire earth trembled in the most powerful earthquake every seen." The word "every" should be the word "ever".

SafeKeeper
October 24th, 2004, 09:45 PM
“A group of visiting heroes have decided to rid this province from your unfair rulership”. I’d say Visiting heroes have, or A group of visiting heroes decided.

You overlooked "rid from". It should be "rid of".

“Heavy snowfalls has blocked important mountain roads”. Have.

I beg to differ. It's "snowfalls" that should be changed to "snowfall".

“A grand festival was held in your honour”. Replace by honor.

[AND]

In different Messages: replace defence by defense.

[AND]

“An old tower surrounded by wisps of mist was found on a high mountaintop. The owner of the tower agreed to help you for a meagre fifty pounds of gold and a couple of virgins”. Replace meagre by meager.

[AND]

“Trolls living under bridges have killed and eaten travellers crossing the bridges”. Travelers.

Nope. Ever heard of this island Kingdom called Britain, friend?

Oh, and my additions:
In English, nationalities etc. are ALWAYS capitalized ("Swede" instead of "swede", for example). Thus, nationalities, nations, etc. have to start with a capital letter even if in the middle of a sentence.

Its also not the primary language, or even the language at all, for the beta testers. There a few English checkers that help alot in that area But feel free to keep posting any grammatical errors you find.

If the testers are Swedish, they know English. Trust me on that. Oh, and it's supposed to be "it's", not "its" in that context.

By the way, I can't believe people don't even capitalize letters in a thread on typoes and grammatical errors...

SafeKeeper
October 25th, 2004, 08:54 PM
"Que" is supposed to be "queue".

Edi
November 12th, 2004, 05:48 PM
New typo: Underwater magic site, Air 3, Imprizoned Zephyr should be Imprisoned Zephyr. Nasty for mapmakers if they want to place one and assume sites are spelled correctly.

Edi

Edi
November 13th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Another typo: Hoburg Champion description text refers to being armed with a mace, when they are armed with a short sword.

Edi

ioticus
November 15th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Capital is misspelled (capitial) under the description of Immortal.

Alneyan
November 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM
A season is often (always?) used to describe a turn, while a turn Lasts only one month. A season Lasts three turns in the game: Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer for example.

Kristoffer O
November 28th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Turns was mostly thought of as seasons (three months) in dom1. In dom2 we changed it to months. Ther might be residual references to seasons in certain descriptions. If you find any you can post about it here. We havn't given it much thought, but as it can be confusing to neebies it is probably best if it is fixed.

Alneyan
November 28th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I didn't recall that about Dom 1. Hmm... So, in Dom 2:

* In the Pretender descriptions, the Daughter of the Land is said to bring two water gems per season.
* Magic items: the Clam of Pearls is said to bring one astral pearl per season. The Blood Stone produces "a small amount of magic Earth gems each year"; the "small" part might be confusing, as it still produces one gem per turn, as the other similar items.
* Spells: Eternal Pyre is said to produce 20 fire gems each season, while it does so every turn.

These are the ones I can recall on top of my head; there may be a few other descriptions where seasons are used to describe turns.

PvK
November 30th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Spell description says it summons Anthrax. Actual character, and his unit description, spell it Antrax.

deccan
December 4th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Apparently the magic site "Sacred Glen" bLasts undead, but it doesn't say so in the description. I akashiced the province it had only "Sacred Glen" and "Grove of Evergreens" in it.

ioticus
December 5th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Under the definition of sacred troops, extremely is misspelled "extremly."

Edi
December 6th, 2004, 04:49 AM
The sites that attack undead and/or demons do not advertise this fact. That list is as follows;
Holy fire (vs undead and demons, 10 an attack): Pool of Sanctity, The Ward, Sacred Glen
Holy power (vs undead only, 10 an attack): Gateward Valley, The Rainbow Shroud

There are also some other unadvertised little facts, like The Hall of Flayed Skins giving out curses to units...

However, there are several spelling errors in the various global enchantment announcements. I just don't remember offhand which ones they were.

Edi

Alneyan
December 6th, 2004, 08:05 AM
In the description of the two Axes of Leadership, Picus is said to be a specialist in Blood magic, and Procas in Death magic. But it is Picus's Axe that requires Death magic, and Procas's Blood magic.

The Soul Contract is said to bring one Devil every season, while it is one every month (turn); I overlooked that one in my previous list.

Alneyan
December 16th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I am so mean. The patch is barely out I am coming back to complain about typos. *Ducks for cover*

So, Capricons are said to "loose some of their powers when they leave the sea", while it should be lose (unless they actually unleash their powers on the land, instead of merely losing them temporarily). The same goes for the Sirens. Speaking of them, their description says that "The siren is gifted with... lure men into the sea with their songs", while it should be either "Sirens are" or "With her songs".

The Hippocampus does not have any description (when summoned by the Triton Kings). Lastly, the Mermidons are said to be unable to leave the sea because of their armour, but can do so; once on the land, they will nonetheless keep their armour.

Nagot Gick Fel
December 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Alneyan said:
Lastly, the Mermidons are said to be unable to leave the sea because of their armour, but can do so; once on the land, they will nonetheless keep their armour.

Mermidons couldn't leave the sea in the original Version. This was deemed a weakness Oceania didn't really need, so they were upgraded from aquatic to amphibian, it's just the blurb text wasn't updated to reflect this change.

Kristoffer O
December 16th, 2004, 08:43 PM
&gt; I am so mean. The patch is barely out I am coming back to complain about typos. *Ducks for cover*

Mean? How would we get rid of all these typos unless you pointed them out. The lacking hippo descr means that there are some other uw critters in dom3 that lacks descriptions. Thanks!

Alneyan
December 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM
The mean comment was simply referring to not waiting at least a day (after the patch is out) before complaining. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

A Last comment I am not sure about: is the plural form of Hippocampus supposed to be Hippocampii? (It is the spelling in the Triton King description) Similar words I can think of ending by -us have a plural form ending by -i, so that should be Hippocampi.

I am not sure of that though, since I have not been able to make sure Hippocampus follows the same pattern as stimulus, succubus and their little family.

Edit: I should have looked that word up earlier. Hippocampus has a plural form ending by -i, so Hippocampi.

Alneyan
January 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
A minor thing, but here it goes: when an aquatic unit ends its turn in a land province, the following message is given: "XXX the YYY drowned in [province]". The same is the same as for land units drowning in the sea, but does not make much sense when applied to an aquatic unit drowning on the land. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Edi
March 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM
The pretender titles have some typos in them. The word "Minister" is systematically misspelled "Minster".

Edi

ioticus
April 5th, 2005, 11:30 PM
The desription of the heroic trait "adept researcher" spells extraordinary incorrectly as "extrordinary."

Alneyan
April 20th, 2005, 04:58 AM
There is a "Lychantropos' Amulet" in the game, while it should be a Lycanthropos' Amulet, if the noun is based on lycanthrope . If Lychantropos is actually a proper noun, an extra S might be included in the Amulet name, as in "Picus's Axe of Rulership".

Alneyan
April 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM
Another cosmetic thing: one of the game hints states that "you may resume the construction of a fort if you are interrupted". I believe it requires some clarification: in my experience, you can only resume the construction of a fort if you have cancelled it, but haven't lost the province in the meantime.

Losing a province will effectively cancel all progress made on a fort (unless I am grossly mistaken here), while some players may expect to be able to continue building their fort at no extra cost. Or perhaps it is just my interpretation of "interruption" as in "lose the province temporarily due to enemy forces".

Molog
July 30th, 2005, 08:10 PM
In the desccription of poor amphibian 'aft.' should be 'att.'

ioticus
August 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Under the description of Mistform, exceptionally is misspelled as "exeptionally."

ioticus
September 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM
The caption should say "...he finds most interesting."

Frostmourne27
January 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
The Mictlan short description says "...but their infantry uses archaic weapons." This is incorrect, infantry is plural and so this should in fact say "but their infantry use archaic eapons."

Wick
January 4th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Frostmourne27 said:
The Mictlan short description says "...but their infantry uses archaic weapons." This is incorrect, infantry is plural and so this should in fact say "but their infantry use archaic eapons."

I disagree. Infantry is no more the plural of soldier then pool is the plural of water droplet. The infantry is a single thing, regardless of the many infantrymen in it. (Also, "eapon" should have a "w" ;-)

Endoperez
January 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
However, Google tells me "infantry use" is much more common than "infatry uses". I'm not sure what grammar says about it, though.

Cainehill
January 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM
As Wick says - Infantry is singular, denoting a particular branch of a military. Infantrymen would be denoting multiple individual members of the infantry, while infantries would be for multiple branches, most particularly for different nations / armed forces : "The eight allied nations performed joint field exercises, but their infantries had incompatible comm gear."