PDA

View Full Version : This has to be a first!

Lars M. Nielsen
November 1st, 2003, 03:04 PM
Actually I wasn't sure what they were called, but I've read their symbol was the letter lambda. So you're probably right.

Anyway, did they appear in Dominions 1 as well?

Nerfix
November 1st, 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Lars M. Nielsen:
Actually I wasn't sure what they were called, but I've read their symbol was the letter lambda. So you're probably right.

Anyway, did they appear in Dominions 1 as well? <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Hert Companions? Nope, but i think Dominions I was the first computer game to have Blood magic and Crossbred monsters, and now we have Void Beasts and Hybrids with R'lyeh...

MStavros
November 1st, 2003, 03:13 PM
I think Dominions II is the first computer game in history to have homosexual infantry. If you don't know what i'm talking about, look at Arcosephale infantry, Heart Companions.

Btw. this is probably based on the ancient greek lambda regiment of homosexual warriors, known for their ferocity in battle.

The name "heart warrior" is probably from this song, sung by ChuChulainn, a character from british folklore. It is an ode to a fallen companion.

We were heart-companions once,
We were comrades in the woods,
We were men that shared a bed
When we slept the heavy sleep
After hard and weary fights.
Into many lands, so strange,
And side by side we sallied forth
And we ranged the woodlands through,
When with Scathach we learned arms!

I just wanted to point them out, I think it's pretty cool they're in the game. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">WTF? Shrugs

Mephisto
November 1st, 2003, 03:35 PM
Heart Companions, the Cymbrogen, were the men of King Arthurs army.

st.patrik
November 1st, 2003, 03:57 PM
the name "heart warrior" is probably from this song, sung by ChuChulainn, a character from british folklore. It is an ode to a fallen companion.<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">ahem. Chuchulainn is not a character from British folklore. Chuchulainn is most emphatically a character from Irish folklore. Specifically the Tain, an ancient story set in Ulster, involving a war between Connaght and Ulster. This whole 'British'/'Irish' distinction is a pretty important one to maintain. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

[ November 01, 2003, 14:06: Message edited by: st.patrik ]

Gandalf Parker
November 1st, 2003, 04:30 PM
Arent the Spartans supposed to have also been a gay legion? Saw something about that on the learning channel.

MythicalMino
November 1st, 2003, 04:54 PM
In the Bible, David (before he was king) and Saul's son, Jonathan, were Heart-Companions. I am sure they were not homosexual (although, the Heart-Companions in the game may very well be taken from a homosexual military unit of some sort from history...)

Here is the text concerning David & Jonathon:

I Samual 18:1-4

And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. And Saul took him that day, and would let him go no more home to his father's house. Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul. And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments, even to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle."

When it talks about Jonathan loving him as his own soul, I have read some translations use the term Heart-Companion....they also made covenant with one another, swearing by all that they had (hence, the giving of his garments, robe, weapons, ect.), to protect one another with their lives....

Not preaching to or at anyone...just thought it would go with the discussion on "Heart-Companions"

[ November 01, 2003, 14:55: Message edited by: cpbeller ]

johan osterman
November 1st, 2003, 05:09 PM
The heart companions are based on the Theban sacred band. An explicitly gay elite company, that if recall correctly fought against Philip II in Alexanders youth. As for the name I am not sure where Kristoffer got it, I'll hazard a guess that it is from Alexanders companions, and he choose to gay up the name by adding the heart prefix.

[ November 01, 2003, 15:50: Message edited by: johan osterman ]

Jasper
November 1st, 2003, 08:53 PM
I thought the addition of the Sacred Band was a nice touch; My only complaint is that at 25 gold they don't seem worth it. :-(

Maybe they should go berserk? As pairs of lovers fought in the same unit, that might be a fair approximation of the madness inherent in watching your mate die. This kind of psychology was the whole point of the Sacred Band.

[ November 01, 2003, 18:55: Message edited by: Jasper ]

Pocus
November 1st, 2003, 09:01 PM
they are the only units which can be blessed, so you cant really compare them to the cost of another Arcoscephalian one I think.

Nagot Gick Fel
November 1st, 2003, 09:50 PM
Actually I wasn't sure what they were called, but I've read their symbol was the letter lambda.<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Nope. The Lambda letter was not used by Thebans, but by Spartans (Lambda as in 'Lakedaimon', ie the alternate name for Sparta).

st.patrik
November 2nd, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
Arent the Spartans supposed to have also been a gay legion? Saw something about that on the learning channel. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Not exactly - I mean in Greek culture generally back then homosexuality, or rather a form of bisexuality, was pretty standard - just read some of Plato's dialogues (there's references all over the place). The only difference was that in general it was an older/middle-aged guy with younger boys, or at least youths.

I don't remember the details on Sparta in particular, but I don't think they differed that much from the Greek norm in this respect. They certainly weren't distinct in this regard from other Greek city-states.

PvK
November 2nd, 2003, 12:21 AM
Spartan youths were frequently raised and trained by older warriors, and part of the training, it's generally accepted, included homosexual relations. Though, they were more bisexual rather than gay - they had wives and children, too.

Dominions isn't the first computer game to have Spartans, although AFAIK it might be the first to mention it, though I doubt it - there are many games out there.

As for the first to have blood magic and crossbreed monsters... nah. I remember a game back about 1989 that had a "sacrifice virgin" command... another that had male prostitution as a way to make money for your hero... there are quite a few games that include necromancy, vampirism, abominable monsters, and so on. Spiderweb Software has its "Geneforge" series of games, which center around making mutant monsters.

PvK

Mephisto
November 2nd, 2003, 12:29 AM
Why does a "Heart Companion" have to be homosexual? They share the same dream in the heart for the same thing and are companions in this regard.
The lamda could have its origin from the island of Lesbos, where a school for girl/women was seated. It’s said that they were mostly homosexual, therefore the word “lesbian”.
Just my 0.02€. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

[ November 01, 2003, 22:29: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Lars M. Nielsen
November 2nd, 2003, 02:52 AM
I think Dominions II is the first computer game in history to have homosexual infantry. If you don't know what i'm talking about, look at Arcosephale infantry, Heart Companions.

Btw. this is probably based on the ancient greek lambda regiment of homosexual warriors, known for their ferocity in battle.

The name "heart warrior" is probably from this song, sung by ChuChulainn, a character from british folklore. It is an ode to a fallen companion.

I just wanted to point them out, I think it's pretty cool they're in the game.

PDF
November 2nd, 2003, 02:58 AM

I just wanted to point them out, I think it's pretty cool they're in the game. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">"Lambda Regiment" ? I rather think they're reffering to the Theban Sacred Band - or are they the same ? (and no, they didn't play jazz http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif )

PvK
November 3rd, 2003, 02:14 AM
Ya, just make sure you have them travel with Arco priestesses! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

PvK