PDA

View Full Version : Helheim?

mjlaufgr
April 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have any useful strategies for Helheim? I am aware that they are not considered to be at all strong, I am just curious about any suggestions you all might have, particularly spells that might work well in tandem with their strengths.

That said, any advice about them at all is welcome!

mjlaufgr

Huzurdaddi
April 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I have only one word: Vans.

They rock. Try a bless effect. Makes the game kind of boring, actually. They are that good.

Blitz
April 28th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Vans and skeletons. Use the DDEE mages to summon bones, flank with vans. Get wights and behemoths to clog the middle. Wights are pretty badass shock troops, they don't die easy, and Behemoths don't seem to rout often. I'd have your flankers wait 3 turns before charging.

Not the strongest theme to be sure.

Graeme Dice
April 28th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Blitz:
Not the strongest theme to be sure. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">You can always use the Hanadrott's as close combat mages. Have them cast soul vortex, mistform, resist lightning, attack one turn, orb lightning, cast spells. They are fairly survivable due to their excellent stats, and any units that get close to them will improve their fatigue.

mjlaufgr
April 28th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Thanks everyone! You'd be surprised how long it took to realize the importance of holding my troops back a bit before attacking. Any more strategies for Helheim? How can I use the dwarves effectively in tandem with my other units, you think?

Mark

tinkthank
April 28th, 2004, 09:55 AM
I love Helheim.
It depends on what you like to do, but dwarves make excellent support mages. Once they get a pair of boots on them they can not only cast legions of steel and the other buffs, but can start going blade wind as well too. Raise skellies etc. doesnt hurt either.
I dont find Helheim weak at all. Like HK already said, they have access to Vans everywhere. Vans dont even need a good bless to be very good troops for their price.

Cainehill
April 28th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Blitz:
Not the strongest theme to be sure. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">You can always use the Hanadrott's as close combat mages. Have them cast soul vortex, mistform, resist lightning, attack one turn, orb lightning, cast spells. They are fairly survivable due to their excellent stats, and any units that get close to them will improve their fatigue. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Wouldn't Shock Wave actually be a better spell than Orb Lightning after getting up close? Spell area 7, starting at the caster, should kill & maim more than units than an orb lightning would.

Nagot Gick Fel
April 28th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Cainehill:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Blitz:
Not the strongest theme to be sure. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">You can always use the Hanadrott's as close combat mages. Have them cast soul vortex, mistform, resist lightning, attack one turn, orb lightning, cast spells. They are fairly survivable due to their excellent stats, and any units that get close to them will improve their fatigue. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Wouldn't Shock Wave actually be a better spell than Orb Lightning after getting up close? Spell area 7, starting at the caster, should kill & maim more than units than an orb lightning would. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Yup, since the AI will probably default to Orb Lightning if nothing is in range for Shockwave. It doesn't make a great difference in actual practice, though.

Graeme Dice
April 28th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Cainehill:
Wouldn't Shock Wave actually be a better spell than Orb Lightning after getting up close<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">You have to make sure that you are resistant to lightning if you plan to use shockwave, as it hits the caster very often.

Nagot Gick Fel
April 28th, 2004, 11:13 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by Cainehill:
Wouldn't Shock Wave actually be a better spell than Orb Lightning after getting up close<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">You have to make sure that you are resistant to lightning if you plan to use shockwave, as it hits the caster very often. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">But wasn't Resist Lightning one of your scripted spells? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Jasper
April 29th, 2004, 04:35 AM
You have to make sure that you are resistant to lightning if you plan to use shockwave, as it hits the caster very often. <font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">If you try this trick with several mages, you'll want to have resist lightning cast even if you use orb lightning.

I'm not sure how well Soul Vortex would work in a pack though...

[ April 29, 2004, 03:35: Message edited by: Jasper ]