PDA

View Full Version : BCT unit grouping issue?

kneecaps
August 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM
I'm sure this is something i'm doing wrong! Following through the tutorial in the manual. The section on grouping units appears straight forward...group together with the mouse and SHIFT+(1,2,3) etc to assign a group number? However when I recall my Groups with the numeric keys the Groups recalled in no way correspond to Groups ive assigned. when Assigning group 2 to plow tanks and engineers in the tutorial mission, upon recalling this group on the engineers are selected. Also no matter what I assign group 3 to it will always recall 3 tanks, 3 plow tanks and 2 bradleys!! nothing like the group that I assigned to it!

Am I missing something, it feels like some of the numeric keys seem to be recalling some sort of presets.

Patrick Proctor
August 9th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Sorry for the problems.

Do you have a non-US keyboard? This will cause erratic behavior in the group-save keys.

I am afraid there is currently no software fix for this at present. The best solution is to set your keyboard up so it can be switched back and forth, to and from a US keyboard. To do this:

1. Open the 'Control Panel'
2. Select 'Keyboard'
3. Select the 'Language' tab
4. Select 'Add'
5. Select 'English (United States)' from the pull-down menu and select OK.
6. Select 'Left Alt + Shift', 'Enable indicator on taskbar', and 'OK'.
7. Now, when you start BCT Commander, select the left 'Alt' button and the 'Shift' button at the same time, and the number keys will work properly.
8. When you are done running BCT Commander, select the left 'Alt' button and the 'Shift' button at the same time again, and your keyboard will return to normal.

If you do not want to set up your keyboard in this way, your other alternative is to just make a "key" for yourself to do the conVersion mannually. Here is a translation key to allow you to figure out which character saves to which number:

! = 1
@ = 2
# = 3
$ = 4
% = 5
^ = 6
& = 7
* = 8
( = 9
) = 0

Sorry, again, for the problems.

kneecaps
August 9th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Ah thank you very much!! I thought there must have been something else going on! Tried it and it works like a charm!

Now I've got that fixed I'm going to have to actually learn how to command a Brigade! (any recommended reading materials?)

Thanks
Peter J.

Patrick Proctor
August 9th, 2004, 09:19 PM
My favorite resource is FM 3-90, Tactics (http://atiam.train.army.mil/portal/atia/adlsc/view/public/297119-1/fm/3-90/toc.htm).

It lays out the structure that US Army leaders use to disect tactical problems. Once you understand this, all that is left is to refine your technical skill at executing the techniques.

If you want to blow through the high-minded conceptual stuff, go to Part II, Offensive Operations, and Part III, Defensive Operations. This stuff is solid gold.

Enjoy http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

kneecaps
August 10th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks again for the reply! Looks like good reading!
Would you happen to know which FM describes the unit hierarchy , as i'm a little unsure about the relationship between, brigades, cavalry, sections...things tend to have different names here in Europe.

Again thanks for you valuable assistance!

EDIT: P.S. Answered found plenty of other manuals on the link which has clarified my other questions!