PDA

View Full Version : Cradle of Dominion 2.14 - The Final... -Started!-

Azhur
February 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
The title may be a bit too 'epic', but still I predict this will be the MP-game you've been waiting for.

Cradle of Dominion (https://www.mosehansen.dk/cgi-bin/dom2.pl?page=BrowseGamePage&game=Cradle_of_Dominio n_)
Port: 2201

Game Settings:

Indep Strength: 6
Research: normal
Magic Site Freq: 50
Unexpected Ev: Rare
Hall of Fame: 15
Renaming: allowed
Victory: Standard

Current players:

Pangaea - Azhur
Vanheim - Harlock
R'lyeh - Manuk
Mitclan - Aku
T'ien Ch'i - Alneyan
Pythium - Boron
Ulm - Zapmeister
Abysia - Navar
Caelum - Knudsen

The game will begin after 8-10 players are in. It would be nice to see a mix of novices and veterans for learning purposes.

Harlock
February 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Hey you got the game up!

I'll join ASP. Haven't figured out my nation yet though.

What if there wont be 8-10 players to join this game?

Azhur
February 6th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Harlock said:
What if there won't be 8-10 players to join this game?

Then there won't be. I'll wait something like 2-3 days and if we have even 7 players by then, the game can be started.

Boron
February 6th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Is the map zens cradle or the old cradle ?

Joining as Pythium . I love your settings especially the rare events because i always hate the random events http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif.

Aku
February 6th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I will join as Mictlan.

Alneyan
February 6th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Let it be know that T'ien Ch'i shall take part in this conflict, and I shall be their ruler. The most enlightened Empire in the known world shall rise again!

Manuk
February 6th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Joining as Marignon

Aku
February 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Also anyone that is joining there is the option of playing a water nation. I have played Ryleh on this map and it worked out nicely. I found it a bit hard to get on the land but every army that attacked me in the water was completely destroyed easily. You do get a little island that you can only get to from the water so its a nice place to summon land troops then gateway them elsewhere. Also the water provinces are spread all over so you get an idea of how powerful everyone is very easily from your neighboring water provinces and some scouts. The only problem is keeping your dominion up but I just used priests in each province preaching and it worked fine. Would be a shame if nobody played a water race to take advantage of their unique position on this map.

Zapmeister
February 6th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I'm the sixth to join - in as Ulm. I noticed that "noclientstart" has not been checked, so fingers crossed it doesn't get started by mistake.

Zapmeister
February 6th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Boron said:

I'd also like to know the answer to this. There are actually 4 "cradles" on mosehansen, 2 of which are called "cradle". My guess is that the first of those is both the one most likely selected, and the old cradle.

To avoid confusion, and get Zen's superior map, I recommend remaking the game with the same settings, but the "zencradle" map.

Azhur
February 7th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Zapmeister said:

Boron said:

I'd also like to know the answer to this. There are actually 4 "cradles" on mosehansen, 2 of which are called "cradle". My guess is that the first of those is both the one most likely selected, and the old cradle.

To avoid confusion, and get Zen's superior map, I recommend remaking the game with the same settings, but the "zencradle" map.

We're using the very basic Cradle of Dominion.. how does it differ from Zen's? If you want to, we can change to Zen's version assuming it's a better version of the map.

Harlock
February 7th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Okay, I've decided.
I'll be boring and join again as Vanheim.
So Vanheim is taken now.

Zapmeister
February 7th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Azhur said:
We're using the very basic Cradle of Dominion.. how does it differ from Zen's? If you want to, we can change to Zen's version assuming it's a better version of the map.

The main improvement Zen made was to "flatten" the terrain, which was originally very rough, giving advantage to flying nations (i.e. Caelum) and also very poor. While I prefer Zen's version, I'm also happy to play on the old one.

Harlock
February 7th, 2005, 05:58 AM
A note for this map:

There are at least two provinces on this map that look like water but are actually land. The other is the insea province in eastern parts and the other the gulf in north shore of the west border.
Have these been fixed as water provinces in the other version of this map?

Also to note: If someone is going to play a water nation, it could be fair if someone played the other water nation as well, since this map has quite many water provinces and a lot of coastline.

Manuk
February 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM
dont know the map.
do the server uploads it or do i have to do it manual?

other question:
can i play my turns from 2 different computers?

if nobody plays water i will go for it.

i will wait a day or so.

Harlock
February 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Manuk said:
dont know the map.
do the server uploads it or do i have to do it manual?

if nobody plays water i will go for it.

The map is chosen on the server and no one has to do it manually, right?

7 players have alrady joined and if Manuk comes along that makes 8. Shall we wait for more or start already? I guess it would be alright to play with just one water nation.

Aku
February 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Why does the list have feyd as marignon? That person has never posted and it was manuk who said marignon. With manuk its 7 people we have because feyd hasnt posted here yet unless mosehanen feyd is forum manuk?

Azhur
February 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Well now we can only wait for manuk's confirmation, that he is or isn't feyd. Currently I assume that manuk = feyd. Yet it's indeed strange that the very same person is claiming to be Marignon and maybe choosing some water nation.. unless he's playing with two seperate nations! That's the reason, I think.

Boron
February 7th, 2005, 02:49 PM
That would be cheating if a player plays 2 nations at once .

Azhur
February 7th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Well I don't know then.. hope Manuk comments something soon.

Manuk
February 7th, 2005, 03:48 PM
i first enter mosehansen as manuk but forgot the password. therefore that im feyd.
So i could play rlyeh and put marignon as anonymous then you can kick marignon out. That if you want to have a water nation if not i will play as marignon.

Azhur
February 7th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Manuk said:
i first enter mosehansen as manuk but forgot the password. therefore that im feyd.
So i could play rlyeh and put marignon as anonymous then you can kick marignon out. That if you want to have a water nation if not i will play as marignon.

Well it's up to you to decide.. I think it's still manageable even though there would be only one water nation in the game. So choose between Marignon and Ryleh, then we'll wait, if we can have one more player in.

Knudsen
February 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I have joined the game with Caelum, but am willing to exchange with water nation if required.

Manuk
February 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I did it

im now rlyeh. Jus kick Marignon that now should be anonymous.

Aku
February 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Manuk if you want read the newbie slugfest thread, it should be somewhere on the first page of this forum. Read my last post there and you can get some ideas for Ryleh for mid to late game at least.

Azhur
February 8th, 2005, 06:24 AM
We could most definitely start the game, if Navar (Abysia) confirmed his place in the game. Other than that no more players are required for the game...

Zapmeister
February 8th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Who's Navar? Let's start!

Azhur
February 8th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Zapmeister said:
Who's Navar? Let's start!

All right, I guess we can start then.

Manuk
February 8th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I cant play my turn because I dont have the map file and I dont know wich cradle file I have to download.

anyone have a link to it?

Alneyan
February 8th, 2005, 08:22 AM
The .map file is not needed by the players. You merely need to download the appropriate .tga file, which can be found on Illwinter server here (http://www.illwinter.com/dom2/maps.html).

Boron
February 8th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Oh we are doing rich world setting ?

Manuk
February 8th, 2005, 08:43 PM
could play fine, thanks Alneyan.

Thanks for the tips, Aku. Strong magic you did there.

Aku
February 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Navar you care to post so we can see what your forum name is? I really didn't like how we started the game while having a player in the game who hasn't posted in the thread.

Manuk...do not use imprint souls...the spell is horrible. It is such a waste of pearls. And remember use the special water access only island to your advantage for mechanical men summoning. Also temple, lab, and castle every province so you can send your armies to defend anywhere with teleport and gateway. And remember to get those water queens out but no rush on them unless you feel some land lubber is going to embark are your precious seas.

Boron
February 9th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Yeah i would like to know also who Navar is .

Is master password on ? Would be helpful if Navar or somebody else stales to turn him AI .

Aku
February 9th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Well it sucks to have AI players.

I suggest if Navar doesn't identify himself by posting in this thread then we restart. I rather have a restart than have an AI player. Mainly because its not fun with the AI and we are only on turn 2 and if lets say he doesn't identify himself by turn 4 we restart. And I mean identify with a real forum name not some guy posting in this thread and you see his post count = 1. Then that means the guy is using an alias for some reason, which isn't good.

Zapmeister
February 9th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Aku said:
I suggest if Navar doesn't identify himself by posting in this thread then we restart.

That's a bit extreme isn't it? I think that if you want to make forum participation a prerequisite for playing, you need to say so in the game's comments. In this game, no such stipulation was made, not even the "see Shrapnel forum" seen in some other games.

If Navar is staling his turns, that's another matter. In that case, I would also vote for a restart.

EDIT: I just noticed that Navar's turn is in. I suggest we just continue. Silent players are at a diplomatic disadvantage anyway.

Aku
February 9th, 2005, 02:02 AM
But its also good to always be paranoid about cheaters. Maybe I am really being too paranoid but it is nice to know who everybody is in the game.

Zapmeister
February 9th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Aku said:
Manuk...do not use enslave mind...the spell is [censored] horrible. It is such a waste of pearls.

I think you must mean some other spell (Ether Gate, perhaps?)
Enslave Mind costs no pearls and is a serious combat spell.

EDIT: More likely you're thinking of Imprint Souls, right?

Aku
February 9th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Yeah you are right. I was thinking imprint souls and didnt realize I wrote another spell. Imprint souls is such a waste of 25 pearls and is countered so easily. I am going to edit my above post to correct the spell name.

Enslave mind is an uber spell. It is a nice way to counter vampires.

Navar
February 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hiya all,

the game in mosehansen didnt link to this post so i found it only today.
Problems ?

Aku
February 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM
No problem Navar. We just wanted to make sure somebody wasn't using an alias. Thank you for posting.

Manuk
February 9th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Imprint souls is an early spell. Not so bad.
Sure i can spend that in something else.

Azhur
February 10th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Harlock has some cd-key issues and can't even go into A.I control. Is there any other way to turn him out of the game
or is restart the only option..?

Boron
February 10th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Azhur said:
Harlock has some cd-key issues and can't even go into A.I control. Is there any other way to turn him out of the game
or is restart the only option..?

Sure the host can do it with master password .

Manuk
February 10th, 2005, 12:59 PM
we can restart since we just began.

if master password is off.

Boron
February 10th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Manuk said:
we can restart since we just began.

if master password is off.

Restart would indeed be good since my starting position suxx http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif.

Navar
February 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Agree !

Azhur
February 10th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Restarting then.. hope this won't be too troubling for the others in game.

EDIT: Do I have to do a new game now or is the game restarting by itself?

Knudsen
February 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Azhur said:
Restarting then.. hope this won't be too troubling for the others in game.

EDIT: Do I have to do a new game now or is the game restarting by itself?

A pity we have to restart, I was very happy with my starting position.

Btw. I'll be away for the weekend and would appreciate if you can hold the first turn until Sunday night, CET.

Alneyan
February 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I really shouldn't have expected my Odd Bug to go away so easily. I cannot connect to the server at the moment, which likely means I have lost access to TCP/IP once more (when playing Dominions). Disregard this message if it doesn't work for anyone else.

If it is working fine for the rest of the world, feel free to restart the game without me, or to turn my nation to the AI. I will forward the password if needed.

Aku
February 11th, 2005, 12:20 AM
yeah just restart it then on sunday so we dont get stalers bec someone said they will be away during hte weekend

Azhur
February 11th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Sunday it is then..

Aku
February 11th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Did we start to upload our pretenders again yet?

Azhur
February 13th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Sunday now. So I used the restart game-option and now the game status has been stopped for 2 days. Do I have to bury this game now and start a new one or what?

Boron
February 13th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Azhur said:
Sunday now. So I used the restart game-option and now the game status has been stopped for 2 days. Do I have to bury this game now and start a new one or what?

Yeah restart will only restart the current turn afaik .

So to be sure just start the game again and do these 2 settings :
-enable Master password for looking after cheaters if neccessary or turn stalers into ai
-disable client start then only you can start the game and nobody can trigger unwanted as error the start of the game by uploading his pretender and clicking start

Manuk
February 13th, 2005, 09:47 AM
So we have to start another game now and discard this one.

Azhur
February 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM
New cradle of Dominion available now at mosehansen, so upload your pretenders once again.. like before, I'll be pangaea again.

Aku
February 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM
i will upload my mictlan god after i eat lunch

Boron
February 13th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Last time we had 50% Magic site frequency .

Could you change this if still possible again from 45 to 50% ?
My design suffers quite a lot by the lower Magic site frequency because i assumed we play it with the same settings as the first one http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/fear.gif

Romanus
February 13th, 2005, 05:09 PM
the people of manckaka who are anonymous are to be eliminated because I'm using Marignon, sorry for the mistake From Romanus

Azhur
February 14th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Magic sites 50 now and Romanus' anonymous nation eliminated. We got 8 players signed, so are we ready to go or someone still interested in joining?

Aku
February 14th, 2005, 05:16 AM
you can start the game up

Boron
February 14th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Azhur said:
Magic sites 50 now and Romanus' anonymous nation eliminated. We got 8 players signed, so are we ready to go or someone still interested in joining?

Cool thnx http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Aku said:
you can start the game up

I second that http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Azhur
February 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
This may sound quite odd, but how can I start the game? In the beginning of the first Cradle I connected to the port, and there were two options available: Start Game and Disconnect. Now there is only Disconnect-option, so what's the catch here?

EDIT: Does it have something to do with the Master Password, which I enabled?

Manuk
February 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
you pressed (disalow players to star game).
Just unpress it and anyone could start the game.

Manuk
February 14th, 2005, 11:12 AM
just remember to put a master password

Azhur
February 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM
The game is on!

Aku
February 14th, 2005, 09:52 PM
2nd turn is up!

sorry for wait, was at school all day

Aku
February 16th, 2005, 06:57 PM
turn 5 is up

Aku
February 19th, 2005, 07:31 PM
new turn

anyone else notice how odd it is for ryleh to have land mercenaries...manuk is quick in establishing a land beach head

Zapmeister
February 20th, 2005, 05:07 AM
I think the game controller has gone AWOL

Aku
February 20th, 2005, 05:28 AM
I know he staled last turn in this game and in another game I am in with him. Did he stale the turn prior to that? But yeah it may be possible but if he stales all the way to monday then it is going to suck.

Zapmeister
February 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Aku said:
I know he staled last turn in this game and in another game I am in with him. Did he stale the turn prior to that? But yeah it may be possible but if he stales all the way to monday then it is going to suck.

A temporary absence, it seems. He's back and playing his turns.

Azhur
February 20th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Zapmeister said:

Aku said:

A temporary absence, it seems. He's back and playing his turns.

I was on a cruise this weekend, so those stales were inevitable. Sorry for not informing that, and hopefully we get the game back to its original speed.

Aku
February 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
so how was the cruise?

Azhur
February 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Aku said:
so how was the cruise?

It was.. well not too suitable to talk about it in these forums. In short it went kinda like this: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif -> http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/cool.gif -> http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif -> http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/rant.gif -> /threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif -> http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/Sick.gif

Knudsen
March 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Gentlemen and R'yleh :-)
I'm going to computer control this turn and I am more or less taking Miclan with me to an early grave.

In turn I've been attacked by Miclan, R'yleh and Marignon. And curiously I've taken over Miclans home castle and territories, while R'yleh has taken my home lands. Poor Miclan, who started the war holds a narrow stip of land in between, with no army and a dead pretender.

If nothing else this game has taught me the valuable lesson that if you do too well in the early game all your neighbours jump you.

Thanks for the game.

Aku
March 11th, 2005, 11:32 PM
It is actually the Caelum part that got you jumped. A good portion of players hate Caelum. It is like playing Ermor. Those two nations get jumped. Ermor because it wrecks the land and screws up your neighbors. Caelum because many feel they are unbalanced and particularly they are extremely unbalanced on the map we are on right now.

Knudsen
March 12th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Aku said:
It is actually the Caelum part that got you jumped. A good portion of players hate Caelum. It is like playing Ermor. Those two nations get jumped. Ermor because it wrecks the land and screws up your neighbors. Caelum because many feel they are unbalanced and particularly they are extremely unbalanced on the map we are on right now.

Now, you tell me :-)

Btw. I'm not complaining (much). Since I was winning against Miclan, I would have done the same in R'lyeh's place.

Aku
March 12th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I hope Ryleh wins the game. You like never see a water race win and would like to see it win this one because Ryleh is particularly strong going by the graphs.

Zapmeister
March 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Aku said:
I hope Ryleh wins the game. You like never see a water race win...

Eh? I don't believe I've ever seen R'lyeh lose a game when played by a vet and unopposed by Atlantis. I fear R'lyeh much more than I fear Caelum.

Saber Cherry
March 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Zapmeister said:
Eh? I don't believe I've ever seen R'lyeh lose a game when played by a vet and unopposed by Atlantis. I fear R'lyeh much more than I fear Caelum.

Hmmm... I crushed Rlyeh as Ashen Ermor once. I had to scrape together a bunch of underwater indies so they would have some targets to mind blast instead of my Mound Kings... and there was a massive battle... I think I resigned later to Vanheim, though. Can't remember who was playing.

Manuk
March 12th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I want to win but Iīm no veteran. Sorry about that attack on you, Zap.

I would want to see Mictlan win some time. I would play them but I have no clue how to.

Zapmeister
March 14th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I will be away for 3 days (Sat-Mon) this weekend. I'm in the GMT+10 timezone. I should be able to play within 48 hours, but could we have a 72-hour time-limit for the weekend to be safe?

Manuk
March 19th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Server says I have an unexplained increase of wealth. How come?

Aku
March 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM
It must be the alchemist stone. I suggested you forge it so I assume you did and used it. The alchemist stone does sometimes give that message of unexplained increase of wealth (or it at least has to me in all the games I have played).

Azhur
March 20th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Zapmeister said:
I will be away for 3 days (Sat-Mon) this weekend. I'm in the GMT+10 timezone. I should be able to play within 48 hours, but could we have a 72-hour time-limit for the weekend to be safe?

Changed it to 72-hour..

Azhur
March 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Azhur said:

Zapmeister said:

Changed it to 72-hour..

..and now back to 24-hour host.

Manuk
March 31st, 2005, 12:17 AM
Thatīs alright people your magic is too strong for me. I started good but Now Iīm just resisting the unavoidable end.

Anyway it was fun.

Zapmeister
March 31st, 2005, 12:53 AM
Manuk said:
Thatīs alright people your magic is too strong for me. I started good but Now Iīm just resisting the unavoidable end.

Hmm - which magic would that be? I thought you were dishing it out at least as much as you were copping it.

Manuk
April 12th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Cannot connect to the game. Hope I not stall the turn.

Boron
April 12th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Cannot connect neither . Seems as if moses server is completely down http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Zapmeister
April 12th, 2005, 07:39 AM
We need Azhur (or Mose as a last resort) to restart the game.

Azhur
April 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Zapmeister said:
We need Azhur (or Mose as a last resort) to restart the game.

Restarted.