PDA

View Full Version : Working with SPMBT

WBWilder
June 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Having this great piece of gaming available is a blessing. Now I can finally rework my 16 campaigns done for SP3 some years ago into this format.

I'm looking forward to it and may be asking for some testing help in the near future.

Any of you SPMBT lovers available?

WB http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Richard
June 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Welcome to our humble abode Wild Bill.

Hope all is well with you. Looking forward to Origins?

I am looking forward to playing your works in the new engine.

Double_Deuce
June 23rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
WBWilder said:I'm looking forward to it and may be asking for some testing help in the near future.

While I would be honored I think I will be busy learning the changes in this new version. Not only that but I will also be deep into design especially after the release of the Enhanced version CD. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

Skirmisher
June 23rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
Wild Bill,

I will help playtest for you.

Boonierat
June 24th, 2005, 02:42 AM
WBWilder said:
I'm looking forward to it and may be asking for some testing help in the near future.

WB http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Lol Bill, I'll test anything from you http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

JaM
June 24th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Good to see you here, your campaigns for SPWaW were best i ever played.

WBWilder
June 24th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Gentlemen!

Thank you! I appreciate the offers and I will take you up on it. Give me a few days to get myself acclimated to this new editor. I'll do that upon returning from Origens at Columbus. I'll be there most of next week. I'll be speaking Friday on Tactical Scenario Design for the 20th Century.

I have a question already on the editor which I'll place in a separate post.

Richard, thanks so much for your kind welcome. It will be a pleasure, I assure you.

Wild Bill

carp
June 24th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Damn, Wild Bill is back? I've still got some of your SP2WW2 scenarios saved. I'll playtest whatever you post.

carp

AB
June 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Wild Bill,

Its great to see you here. I'd love to test some of your campaigns. I prefere larger ones - battalion or multi-company core force. I know you tend to keep most of yours smaller (and more manageable). I just love the bigger battles. Let me know if you have any plans for a biggie.

A_B

Jankee
June 24th, 2005, 06:40 PM
WB,

I'm willing to help play test your designs.

Jankee

tmac
June 24th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Good to see all these familiar names..I've been waiting eagerly for the win version so I can use it easily on my PC, plus I missed modern fights.
Wild Bill, wasn't one of your old SP3 camapigns a monster about Iwo Jima? I'd love to try that one with this game.
well, hello all,
Tim

Arralen
June 25th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Hello Bill, nice to see you here ...

One little request - could you please make sure that the enemies mid-battle reinforcements do not pop up just under my tanks which outflank the enemy?
It's very annoying the get a rear shot from the neighbouring hex by something that just beamed into a hex I passed through the last turn.

Had this happen in SPWAW more than once. If it happens again, I'll call Scotty and let him beam me behind your back http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stefan

edited: grandma

Mobhack
June 25th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Yes - that sort of pop up on the main map may be valid in a counter insugency type game though (insurgent appears out of a sewer, or it represents a "civilian" pulling out a grenade or whatever http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

However, on an open battlefield, arriving reinforcements should probably only appear right at the map edge they arrive on (within 1-2 hexes maybe), and not "teleport" into the main playing area .

Any of your troops who were hugging that edge and then suddenly found enemy troops in thier midst/flank/rear can be assumed to have been outflanked/and or ambushed by the enemy reinforcements arriving unexpectedly. So you will have to pay some attention to flank security on the map edges, and cannot then assume it is "dead ground" beyond the grey hexes http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif!

Cheers
Andy

Pyros
June 25th, 2005, 02:41 AM
I agree with Andy,

If I may add to this subject, I think that even in the case of incoming hostile reinforcements from the edge of the map, the scenario designer should edit the map and include a warning text to that (aprox) location.

cheers,
Pyros

p.s of course there are exceptions. As for example when there is an enemy base near the edge of the map, then you may consider the edges of the map near that base as a possible entry points for hostile patrols. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Arralen
June 25th, 2005, 07:39 AM
The most annoying case was a french tank platoon, appearing right out of nowhere on the street I just drove through ... some 10 hex from the edge of the battlefield.

Another one some suicide bombers, '44 style: popped up right behind my inf that 'secured' a village. Called in an airstrike. .. the 500kg bombs whiped out everyone ... (2 hex radius splash damage...)

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

WBWilder
June 25th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Like any good thing, this can be overdone. In scenario design, the designer must make the human player be aware of his flanks and his conquests.

It is not enough to take a position. You must hold it. It is not enough to advance into the enemy. You must be prepared for his flanking your advance and cutting you off.

Such design tactics encourage a certain caution on the part of the human player.

ON THE OTHER HAND! If the best a designer can do is to put troops behind you to make a challenge that is not good. And sooner or later you come to expect it and it has no challenge. It becomes an annoyance.

SO....let's mix it up. You will have mines sometimes, guerrillas sometimes, strong frontal attacks, flanking moves, hidden defenses, unexpected armor or artillery, but you'll never know till you play.

One thing we will do, I promise you. We'll try to be as histrorical as possible while keeping the scenario/campaign challenging and surprising. And yes, most will be the smaller quick play type.

But you can look for what I call a "Momo" (Monster machine at 6 Flags of Georgia, with tentacle arms, what spins you till you get nauseated), a monster scenario for those who enjoy them.

Give me a little time to prepare some material, do some research and you'll see some scenarios from the old Kunel soon.

THanks for the kind words and the encouragement.

WB

Double_Deuce
June 25th, 2005, 09:07 PM
WBWilder said:It is not enough to take a position. You must hold it. It is not enough to advance into the enemy. You must be prepared for his flanking your advance and cutting you off.

WB - Not sure you know it BUT unlike SPWAW where you are limited to 4 Reinforcement Hexes, with SPMBT/SPWW2 comes the ability to use EVERY hex as a Reinforcement Hex.

WBWilder
June 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM
WOW! I repeat, WOW! I had no idea! THanks, Double D. I'll have to look into that one and try to figure out how to do it. Great news, indeed!

WB

Pyros
June 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
WB, WinSPMBT is a different game from SPWAW so I propose you read carefully the manual (Campaign & Scenario editor section) and if you have any question, post it here and I will try to assist you.

Pyros

WBWilder
June 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Thank you so much!

Would those of you willing to help in scenario/campaign testing drop me a line to my e-mail address, please?

bwilder@bellsouth.net

Give me a little background on yourself and your gaming experience. It will probably be at least a week before I can answer so don't consider no immediate reply as rejection. I'll be at the Origins Convention until July3rd, then some catching up at home and I'll probably wait for my enhanced purchased copy before really getting into some detail.

I can use you all, but we'll keep the team relatively small, no more than 5 or 6. Man, I'm really thrilled about our possibilities.

Remember, drop me a note when you can with your e-mail address. We'll make a group e-mail so we can be in contact.

Wild Bill

Jim1954
June 27th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I'm up for it again, Bill. Like you said, I do miss those "SE" days, too.

troopie
June 28th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Kunel,

You did some lekker Korea scenarios for SPWAW. Any chance of us seeing them in SPMBT? It would make a nice change from my bushveld diet.

Now that I can actually play the game, time to begin work.

Hope you are keeping well.

troopie

desh44
July 1st, 2005, 02:47 AM
Hi Bill... I emailed you about helping playtest. you will have it when you get back from origins. hope to hear from you sometime after that

Tom D

WBWilder
July 2nd, 2005, 08:46 PM
THank you gentlemen! I have enough. Now I have to catch up with you and give you something to test. Hang on...I'll get it done. Thanks so much for offering, guys. It is most encouraging...WB

Arclight
July 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Front and Center, Kunel, Front and Center...

Becides, I need to pick yer brain for scenario/campaign design... I want to do a Rhodesian number...

-Jeff (Big guy from Aberdeen)

WBWilder
July 11th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Let me know how I can help Arklight! Rhodesia sounds like a good one! I'm starting with a small one on Anaconda. This will help me get the feel of the game and the editor.

My advice to all, start small and simple. Get comfortable with the game. Learn its little nuances and then you can go for the more complicated ones. Just a thought.

I remember you Jeff! Man that was fun. Hard to believe that was ...what? Nearly three years ago?

Wild Bill

Arclight
July 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Three years??? Gosh, I'm getting old... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

We need to get a meet together again. Maybe Ft. Knox?

WBWilder
July 12th, 2005, 11:16 PM
You! Man, I can see 70 on the horizon. Now that is old...but wait a minute...that is not so old after all.

I'm here and doing just fine, Jeff. Old is not that bad, except you wake up hurting somewhere every day.

But at least you wake up!