PDA

View Full Version : Tanks backing up

whdonnelly
June 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Somewhere I thought I read that a vehicle unit moving backwards one space would be considered as backing up, with frontal armor towards the enemy, but it doesn't happen that way. Is this a bug, or am I suffering from wargame confusion?
Will

FJ_MD
June 24th, 2005, 03:17 PM
To use the backup you have to select the tank and hit "8" key. The tank will back up one hex as long as movement points are available.

Skirmisher
June 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Thats a nice feature! Woot.

Does it require more movement points to back up as oppossed to just turning around and moving to that hex?

FJ_MD
June 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Yep! the reverse is more movement point consuming than the normal movement. Anyway it will let your tank facing the enemy while...ehm... retreating!

Pyros
June 24th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Hi,

here is more info for reverse movement:

(quote from Don G.)

Every time you back up it uses 1/3 of your available Movement points. If you don't have enough MP's to back up further the game will inform you that you cannot back up anymore. You MAY, however, still have enough MP's to turn around the " old fashioned" way and move further to the
rear.

Mobhack
June 25th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Pyros said:
Hi,

here is more info for reverse movement:

(quote from Don G.)

Every time you back up it uses 1/3 of your available Movement points. If you don't have enough MP's to back up further the game will inform you that you cannot back up anymore. You MAY, however, still have enough MP's to turn around the " old fashioned" way and move further to the
rear.

It uses 3 times the cost for going forwards into that hex, not 1/3 of the units MP. so reversing into a clear hex usually needs 6 MP remaining for a treacked vehicle (2 times 3). Sticking probability is increased, e.g. eif you reverse into a swamp 9assuming you had enough MP in the first place to do so) - your ditching chance is 25% worse than when going forwards into the same swamp.

Cheers
Andy

whdonnelly
June 25th, 2005, 01:50 AM
I really appreciate the response. Now, to try it out!!!

Darius359au
June 25th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Reverse and BW , can it get any better http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

R

whdonnelly
June 27th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks a lot. The "8" key works for my desktop, any suggestions for a laptop keyboard?
Will

Mobhack
June 27th, 2005, 05:36 PM
whdonnelly said:
Thanks a lot. The "8" key works for my desktop, any suggestions for a laptop keyboard?
Will

The 8 key on the top row of your keyboard, - the one with the "*" key and the "8" as well on it, ie the normal numeric keys?.

Unless you are trying the numeric key-pad with NUM LOCK set to OFF, as then it obviously won't return a number, but the other character http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif!

Cheers
Andy

whdonnelly
June 27th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Sorry, I was back in the DOS game, too much of a good thing. It works fine on both computers.

cbo
June 29th, 2005, 05:40 AM
On a side note:

Does the AI know how to drive in reverse?

cbo

Pyros
June 29th, 2005, 07:20 AM
The AI never retreats !!! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Also the AI will always take the shortest path to reach a destination meaning that it won't spent 3x times the cost of the terrain movement to make a backward move.

cheers,