PDA

View Full Version : Question on smoke grenades

WBWilder
July 17th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I'm delighted with the accuracy and the all inclusiveness of units, weapons, vehicles and aircraft. Someone did a lot of work.

In preparing the "Strangling the Snake," I noticed that most of the Al Qaeda had 4 smoke grenades or bombs. I honestly don't know and am not finding fault, just asking...is that too many?

I took out at least half of that number in the editor.

Curious as to your thoughts.

WB

DRG
July 18th, 2005, 10:09 AM
It's one of the quirks of the game.

Smoke is issued automatically but it's issued less to some types of units than others.

If you open up Afghanistan and buy a "Tribal Band" you will see they rarely, if ever, have smoke issued becasue they are unit class "Irregulars" and that is true for things like any "Guerrilla" class unit ( Viet Cong is a prime example)

If you buy Afghan "militia" they are issued 1 and sometimes 2 smoke rounds becasue their unit class is "Militia". "Reserve Infantry" classes also have reduced numbers of smoke rounds

The Al Qaeda units in the Afghan OOB are classed as "Mercenaries" and the way we have this coded "Mercenaries" are assumed to have full access to supplies like smoke.

If you want to reduce the smoke you could use a "tribal band" or Milita and rename them Al Qaeda or edit them out as you did

Don

DRG
July 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Addendum

The following unit classes do not get smoke

motorcycle
cavalry
guerilla
partisan
irregular
native
police

the following unit classes get 1 or 2 smoke

Militia
Reserve

note that is the UNIT CLASS not what an OOB designer has named them so you have to take note of the unit class name that appears above the units available in the purchase menu

also note that "Militia" includes Light Militia, Hvy Milita and Militia support. The same applies to any sub type of the other listed classed. For example, there are four guerilla infantry classes and they all do not get smoke

Don

WBWilder
July 18th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Very complete answer, Don. THank you. You went the extra mile...WB

Arralen
July 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM
This info should definitly be included in the smbtguide.htm !!

Btw. in my CD version from 13 May 2005, VC units from North Vietnam Army buy list are "commando scouts", not "guerilla" ?!

DRG
July 18th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Arralen said:
This info should definitly be included in the smbtguide.htm !!

Btw. in my CD version from 13 May 2005, VC units from North Vietnam Army buy list are "commando scouts", not "guerilla" ?!

I just answered this on your other thread. It's not carved in stone they are ALL "Guerilla" I used those as a simple example ( I'm already regetting that ! ) The VC use many different classes with many different capabilities built in. The "commando scouts" VC will be "sneakier" than the "Guerilla" VC and they won't have the "engineering skills" that the "Ranger Pioneer" VC do.

If you type "Viet Cong" into the FIND box of MoBHack in he 'Viet Cong" OOB you will find there are far more than just one or two types of "Viet Cong".

When you play the game and they are your opponents you won't know what type of "VC" they are which is the entire point.. Their is a great deal of diversity in this game. We try to use all of it http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Also, you just looked in the NVA OOB. They are a side show in that OOB. Look in the actual Viet Cong OOB.

Don

KevinRanger95
July 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
on that same note, on the captured tanks that AlQaeda had or any tank that AlQaeda had at all what kind of load out would they have, like would they even have smoke rounds or dischargers?