PDA

View Full Version : One More for this Weekend

WBWilder
August 13th, 2005, 12:21 AM
The newest of the Wild Team scenarios is up at the Wargamer. A different time and place, "The Height of Battle."

Again, my deepest thanks to my great playtesters, Tom DeShelter, Stephen Porter and Lars Remmen. These guys get it done!

Scenario Link at the end of this piece.

Design: Wild Bill Wilder
bwilder@bellsouth.net

Testers: Stephen Porter, Lars Remmen, Tom DeShetler

Designer Notes: If you do not see the morning mist when beginning the scenario, press the clr icon to bring it up on the map.

This can be played as a 1 or 2 player game. If a single player, you should take the SAS side.

This scenario is a recreation of the British SAS Special Forces final assault on the nearly impregnable Jebel Akhdar height in Oman.

SPECIAL NOTE (Please Read!)

As the British, Taking the Objective hexes will not win this one for you alone. There are ammunition and supplies for Omani rebels that must be destroyed. You will need those points and at least two of the objectives for a victory. You must also seek to minimize your casualties. Just the opposite

will be true for the Omanis.

Historical background:

The tiny nation of Oman was ruled by Sultan bin Taimur, a repressive despot of his people. In spite of that, the British government supported his regime and sent in SAS units to wipe out the rebel forces fighting against the Sultan. The British supported the Sultan's government because the rebels were part of the Communist controlled "People's Front for the Liberation of the Occupied Arabian Gulf (PFLOAG)"

The stronghold of the rebels was situated in the what was to be considered the impregnable heights of Jebel Akhdar (Green Mountain). Since all entrances to the top of the fortress were carefully covered by the rebels, the British forces succeeded in scaling the steep, rugged sides of the mountain and initiated attacks on January 26th. That in itself was a feat thought to be impossible.

The attack was totally unexpected by the rebels and was highly successful for the British. Now the coup de grace would have to be administered by taking the final point of resistance of the rebels. On January 27th, Wadi Suwaiq and the surrounding heights were covered with a morning mist.

Taking advantage of the lack of visibility, the SAS forces started with a diversionary feint toward the front line. They then flanked the Oman rebel position and struck hard, storming the positions one after another.

By the end of the day, the Omanis were either dead or prisoners of the SAS, and what awaited them was a fate worse than death at the hands of the Sultan. Jebel Akhdar, the last stronghold of the rebels had been taken.

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=4065

Busko
August 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Downloading...can't wait to try this out, i love scenarios in "colonial" settings http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

WBWilder
August 14th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Enjoy Busko. Thanks for the note. I don't get many responses here and I was wondering. Yours is very encouraging.

Wild Bill

Skotty702
September 2nd, 2005, 01:29 PM
WBWilder said:
Enjoy Busko. Thanks for the note. I don't get many responses here and I was wondering. Yours is very encouraging.

Wild Bill

Keep these type of things coming WB. I love playing different locales like this. Good scrap this, SAS got a bloody nose for sure, but prevailed thanks to the timely air strikes.

Cheers
Scott

WBWilder
September 3rd, 2005, 11:37 PM
You got it, my friend. We've got more Korea, more Vietnam and more Iraq plus some smaller fights on the burner. I appreciate the note, Skotty!

WB