PDA

View Full Version : Different types of victory hex

Bernard
September 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
I know it's probably heresey to mention SP:WAW in this forum, but does anyone else who has played it much agree that the extra types of victory hex (points per turn, exit hexes, hidden v-hexes that appear on a set turn, v-hexes that cannot be recaptured) really add to the gameplay and enable scenarios to have more interesting and varried objectives?

Would it be possible to add the ability to use these other types of v-hex to any future version of winSPMBT?

I think that after all the work and effort that has gone into rebuilding the game for windows and fine tuning the gameplay, simply driving the enemy off the victory hexes and killing them doesn't do justice to the possibilities of the game engine.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the idea?

scJazz
September 3rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Generally I agree with you. However I'm having a compationate moment right now. Don and Andy have been working really hard. Perhaps they can add this to the WinSPMBT version 1.2 upgrade.

kesh
September 5th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Agree completely Bernard. Also the 250point limit isn't high enough. When you've got modern forces of 20,000 points the v-hexes only have a total of 5250 maximum.

Bernard
September 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Good point. If all the v-hexes are worth less than a company of M-1A2s then in modern era battles more points can be gained by beating up the enemy than by taking the objectives.
Also with exit hexes etc you can have missions like breakouts by surrounded units or scenarios where an inferior force can used hit and run tactics against a stronger enemy before withdrawing.
And in reply to scJazz, I'm not wanting to nag or stick more work on the designers and i greatly appreciate their work, I'm just discussing possibilities for the future, not necessarily the next patch.

Pyros
September 5th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hi,

Here is my opinion:

The V-hexes with a point per turn option are not realistic in a battlefield and don't represent/simulate any real combat conditions.
Most pbem players are excluding these V-hexes from their game setup.

Also the V-hexes that appear in a time sequence or the permanent V-hexes are not representing any real combat situation.

The real use of the V-hexes (for the players) are to guaranty that the players will have to contest over something in the map (in order to avoid the draw).

When you play you have to keep in mind that you follow a solid plan that will lead you to victory...NOT just to wait until the last moment to contest the V-hexes.

cheers,
Pyros

p.s to increase the max value of V-hexes is not bad...IMO
p.s in my games, I never care about the V-hexes because I aim for the destruction of the enemy army.
p.s For a scenario designer the V-hexes are an excellent tool to create /design the tactical plan of the AI forces.

Bernard
September 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Hmmmmm......

Haven't really ever played PBEM, so I suppose you're right as I can't comment.
Was looking at it more from a Human vs AI scenario design point of view.
I have to agree with you on the time sequence hexs though, always found them a bit stupid.
In terms of the v-hexes that can't be captured, I've seen them used to represent "capturing" enemy personnel or intel/high value equipment, used in special forces/raid type scenarios.
I used to find the hexes that were attractive to the AI but worth nothing useful for triggering enemy counterattacks, but now you mention it, a normal v-hex would work the same, as if the enemy wanted a hex, it should logically have a points value.
In terms of exit hexes, if units are deliberatelly retreated of the map is the value deducted at the end of a battle? If not, in a hit and run/asymmetrical warfare type scenario, I could simply place no v-hexes (or give them 0 value) and then hot foot it off the map after ambushing the enemy to preserve my forces.

Cheers for helping me to realize the power of the tools already available.

DRG
September 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Bernard said:

In terms of exit hexes, if units are deliberatelly retreated of the map is the value deducted at the end of a battle? If not, in a hit and run/asymmetrical warfare type scenario, I could simply place no v-hexes (or give them 0 value) and then hot foot it off the map after ambushing the enemy to preserve my forces.

You can run a test and see this. Build a generated battle , set the number of turns to 2 using "view map" then press Human deploy and leave all your troops along the edge of the map. When the game starts take one step backwards into the grey hexes. On the next turn they will be gone. When the game ends you score no points but take no losses either

Don

Bernard
September 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Cheers for clarifying this, will use in in future scenarios.