PDA

View Full Version : question about unit flags in scenario design

desh44
October 3rd, 2005, 11:52 PM
I am currently working on a scenario and would like to change the flags on a couple of units. I cannot do this using the ally function. Here is the situation. The scenario is the Stanleyville rescue op in the Belgium Congo in 1964. The main force is Belgians.
The player forces consist of Belgium Paratroopers, Mercenaries and US aircraft for transport and tactical air. I can get the transports OK by having them as allies, the problem is with the tacair. The planes used were obsolete aircraft and if I go to the strike element for this time period with the US the only options are for jets. The planes used were prop planes. I can find the planes with some other countries and I can use these with the allies listing and then setting them as captured but that sets them as Belgium. If possible I would like to have these aircraft with US flags as that is the historical model. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am in the final stages of setting this one up before testing and it should be out with a week or so.
Thanks for any help

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Double_Deuce
October 4th, 2005, 12:20 AM
I doubt its possible. The ID flags are gonna pull from either Belgium (as captured) or from the actual OOB they are allied from.

Pyros
October 4th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Hi,

I am not sure if this will work but try this:

While designing your scenario (editor), after you have bought any Belgium units try to alter the nationality of player's1 forces by selecting the US.
Now you will be able to buy units from the US oob while at the same time you will retain all the previous units in your forces list.
Now (while you have selected the US nationality as player1) if you press the button "ALLIES" and then you "set captured" you may buy any required equipment from other countries under the US flag.
After you finish this process, you may change in the main editor screen (once more) the flag/nationality of player's 1 forces by selecting the BELGIUM and you may buy additional Belgium units.

cheers,
Pyros

p.s I don't know if this will affect the game but you will probably get what you wish.

desh44
October 4th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks....will try that out Pyros...will let you know how it works out.

Tom

Pyros
October 4th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Tom,

There is also another (more direct) solution to your problem.
Simply set as Player1 the US and then buy whatever "captured" equipment.
Then you may add to your force selection any required units from your Belgian Allies http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

cheers,
Pyros

p.s In this later approach the only visual difference should be that your HQ unit will have US nationality... I also fear that in the first approach (even if you change the player's 1 flag to US) all captured equipment will still be bought as Belgian units (I will check it later).

WBWilder
October 5th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Pyros, the way I do it when I want to change armaments is to buy them in the nationality I am using.

I then change the flag to US or other (and can even change the date to get outdated equipment) and use the D key to open a unit's list of weapons.

I can then purchase the weapons I wish, go back to main editor screen and change the flag back. So far this has worked well for me.

WB

Pyros
October 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM
WB,

This fine game offers many possibilities for the scenario designer. For sure there are more than one way to achieve a desired modification to a unit or create/simulate a battle situation.
I am currently trying to develop innovating approaches with the use of the designing tools (that WinSPMBT offers) and I am amazed from the new things that I learn through this activity.

cheers,
Pyros

Double_Deuce
October 5th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Pyros said:

This fine game offers many possibilities for the scenario designer. For sure there are more than one way to achieve a desired modification to a unit or create/simulate a battle situation.

I am especially appreciative of those who post these kinds of tips. I have seen several items I would have never thought of in a million years.