PDA

View Full Version : ATF: Digital Elevation Model Converter

TDR
December 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Well just a quick question as to what is this "Digital Elevation Model Converter"?

There is not much detail with it.

Thanks.

Patrick Proctor
December 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I am not sure exactly what product you are talking about, but I will take a shot at it...

Digital elevation data comes in many different formats and resolutions. The ATF Power Toolkit uses USGS DEM, 1:250,000 (also called 3-arc second resolution) format data. This is parallel in detail to DTED Level 1, as well as many other formats.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of variance in the USGS DEM format. When it is produced by some converter programs (which convert from other formats such as DTED into USGS DEM format), it is not always in the exactly correct format. The two most common formats are that which is available from USGS itself, and the format generated by the Trilobite converter algorithm.

The ATF engine uses a custom DEM format (XDM, a ProSIM proprietary format) to generate ATF Engine maps. You can use the ATF Power Toolkit to generate this format from USGS format DEMs. When doing this, the Power Toolkit prompts you to find out which USGS format you are using. It asks you something like, "was this DEM created using Tilobite DEM converter?". If you are using maps generated by USGS, select "No". Otherwise, select "Yes". It is hard to know, though, so if the map you get is not correct, try again, using the oposite response.

I hope that answers your question.

TDR
December 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Pat, Thanks for that.
Actually what I was refering to was the download on this site.
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/prosim/atf/6.htm
It is just called "Digital Elevation Model Converter" and it has little, actually no docs.

As for generating maps, that is somewhere up on the learning curve for me. I am arguing with the game at present. I keep comming across new approaches to doing things and its is at least enjoyable but frustrating.

Patrick Proctor
December 11th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Ah ha! I didn't even know that was there. Yes. This program is for converting other data format types to USGS format DEMs, for use in the ATF Power Tookit (when you're ready, that is http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif ).