PDA

View Full Version : Pretender God ideas!

Nerfix
May 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Emperor Oak - Essentially a giant Treelord pretender for nature nations. Immobile, starts with high nature. Can summon Hamadryads in a battle, maybe some Domsummon effect too, or gems.

Void Flame - A cold, lifeless, hostile flame not from this world, bruning in sickly green and otherworldly colours...It burns underwater with ease and those who venture close enough may be struck with insanity. Void creatures will spawn from it when it's threatened. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

King in Yellow - A humanoid pretender for R'lyeh, but it's not a human, nor an illithid not ever from this world... A rainbow-mage esque pretender with insanity powers-

Morkilus
May 25th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I shall be severely disappointed if there isn't a Monkey God. Then I will begin to mod one immediately.

Sandman
May 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Artifice: Ulm pretender. Essentially a Virtue with Earth and Astral.

Forge Lord: Ulm pretender. A Vulcan/Hephaestus character with Earth and Fire. Forge bonus (naturally), probably fire immune as well. Any number of other cool potential abilties - see the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus).

Iron Council: Ulm pretender. High Earth magic, immobile. An ancient machine created for some unknown purpose. Generates mechanical men when its dominion is strong. Drain immune.

Raven King: Luxury rainbow mage for Man and Vanheim. Has air-1 and nature-1, and glamour. Can also turn into a raven for rapid travel.

Great Wolf: Jotunheim pretender. It's Fenrisulfr, from Norse mythology. Size 6, has a nasty bite. Water and death magic?

Trickster: Another Jotunheim pretender - Loki this time. A versatile giant wizard, with glamour (since he can change shape). Maybe assassination as well.

White Guardian: Vanheim pretender. Has air and earth magic, a magic horn and an absolutely ludicrous patrol bonus (100+). Based on Heimdall, one of the Aesir.

Nerfix
May 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Sandman said:
Artifice: Ulm pretender. Essentially a Virtue with Earth and Astral.

The reminded me of Endoperez's Vices/Virtues concept that I am fond of...

Argitoth
May 26th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Hey, can we gather the community to make an official community mod that EVERYONE pretty much uses? As in, we all add the best content in this ONE mod. The quality of the mod *must* look and feel as if it was meant to be part of the game. No ugly-looking sprites that don't fit in and stuff. It was kind of this way with Dom2 with the pretender mod, spell mod, etc. Maybe we should do that again except involve more people.

Gandalf Parker
May 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM
You could do it but how would you go about having no ugly-looking sprites?

You could set it up right from the beginning as "this is my mod and everyone can contribute but I will decide what goes in". Or something like "only a limited number will go in so we will vote on the ones we like best". Both of those would save you the trouble of telling someone that their sprites are ugly.

Tortanick
May 27th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I see someone has a good taste in books, sandman http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
Although I'd be a little more true to the book if I designed him.

Edi
May 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM
What I'd like to see is more options than just the Moloch for a F9 bless effect. The Moloch is rather antithematic for several nations.

For rainbow pretenders, a Master Bard would be a cool addition. A mage that makes magic through music, and might have some special ability like animal awe, summoning random animals as a Summon Allies option or something similar.

Edi

ioticus
May 28th, 2006, 01:56 PM
How about a nature/astral mage antihero from another world that starts with a leprosy affliction/disease? He gradually gains more magical power as the game progresses while his body is wasting away . . . .

Edi
May 29th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Won't work with a non-undead or non-demon pretender unless it has insane hit points, and I'm not too fond of the idea of having a whiny, self-centered arsehole like Thomas Covenant further immortalized in Dom3.

I'll admit that the inspiration for the Master Bard idea did have its roots in Wurts's Wars of Light and Shadow and the character of Arithon s'Ffalenn, but the concept is far older and archetypical than that.

Edi

ioticus
May 29th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Edi said:
Won't work with a non-undead or non-demon pretender unless it has insane hit points, and I'm not too fond of the idea of having a whiny, self-centered arsehole like Thomas Covenant further immortalized in Dom3.

Edi

Lol, I was wondering if someone would see the connection.

Shmonk
May 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
hehehe He probably needs to have a White Gold ring as permanent equipment, too. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Taven
June 1st, 2006, 05:27 AM
How about Cthulhu for R'lyeh, tentacles, wings and all http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif. And maybe some more kinds of dragons. Here's some others;

Insect Lord : A nature/death mage that rides on a large beetle. Automatically summons swarms of Dragonflies in combat.

Undying Tyrant : C'tis pretender. A massive undead T-Rex with high death magic. Spreads diease in the province he's in.

Master Engineer : Ulm pretender. Earth/astral mage that fights in a titanic suit of clockwork armor. Great bonus added to sieges.

Dragon Lord : Combat pretender that rides a Wyvern. Can ritually summon Draconians to aid him.

Well that's all I can think of right now.

Nerfix
June 1st, 2006, 08:09 AM
Wizard of Hunger: A long time ago this wizard succumbed to the curse of hunger as he wandered the lands in search of magic. The vile act corrupted him forever, but he retained he skills, and the vile curse made him only stronger. He can harvest one death gem in a month and hungry Ghouls flock to him when his dominion is strong.

A ghoul mage, starts with 1E 1D

Nerfix
June 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Master Illusionist The Master Illusionist is an Illusionist of exceptional power. He has gained such great power through his trickery that he has mastered his own mortality. Now he draws plots for godhood. He is accompanied by illusionary warriors in combat. He can create exceptionaly permanent illusions when his dominions is strong.

An illusionist RB pretender, has glamour, air magic and summons illusionary soldiers in combat. He also domsummons them.

Edi
June 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
A Ghoul Mage would be interesting. I also like the master illusionist, since there is currently no air-based rainbow pretender.

For oriental/Arabic type nations, a Djinn or Efreet pretender would be cool. Probably a mid-level SC with decent magics. Primaries would be air for djinn, fire for efreet, secondary could be either astral for both or water for djinn, earth for efreet.

A Lord of the Volcano would be another possible earth fire combo, but this one would have to be on the Titan/Giant Humanoid template and a rather expensive one given how good the earth/fire bless combo is. It could also offer a good alternative to the blindingly obvious Moloch-only option for fire bless effect.

Edi

Endoperez
June 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
But the Djinn is in the lamp!

quantum_mechani
June 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Edi said:
since there is currently no air-based rainbow pretender.

Well, there is Caelum's national one.

Edi
June 2nd, 2006, 02:40 AM
The Arch Seraph, yes. Haven't forgotten that one, but I'd like the option of having a more generic air rainbow pretender as well. Wouldn't mind generic ones for all of the elements, especially if pretender selection can be assigned at the nation level like troop assignment (and could be changed by modding).

Edi