PDA

View Full Version : Can Dom3 be modded to play like Dom2?

ioticus
August 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Just wondering if Dom3 can be modded such that the spell and magic item paths are the same as Dom2? Also, can life draining weapons be changed to the way they worked in Dom2? In Dom3, only the first 5 points of damage are drained. Can we mod the castle system to work like Dom2?, etc.

I think it would be interesting to try out, and we still get the improved AI, UI, and graphics of Dom3.

Nerfix
August 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
How come you know that only 5 first points will be drained? Hmm? HMMM`??

ioticus
August 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Nerfix said:
How come you know that only 5 first points will be drained? Hmm? HMMM`??

Ahh, c'mon Nerfix, I thought you were on top of everything Dominions http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=28598&page=5

Nerfix
August 30th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Well, that was new to me.

PDF
August 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I suppose much will be possible via modding (spells paths, magic items costs...). For Drain that has been changed it will be possible only if the "old" attack still exists somewhere in the code, so you can put it on the weapons you want to change.

Nerfix
August 30th, 2006, 06:25 PM
May I also ask why exactly you'd want to make it play like Dom 2?

ioticus
August 30th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Nerfix said:

As I understand it, it will be much harder to build powerful SCs and use other exploits such as clam hoarding in Dom3. Just for nostalgia and novelty sake, I'd like to play Dom3 using Dom2 stats and see how it plays with the improved UI and AI. I'm probably the only one with that desire, however.

DominionsFan
August 30th, 2006, 07:53 PM
ioticus said:

Nerfix said:

As I understand it, it will be much harder to build powerful SCs and use other exploits such as clam hoarding in Dom3. Just for nostalgia and novelty sake, I'd like to play Dom3 using Dom2 stats and see how it plays with the improved UI and AI. I'm probably the only one with that desire, however.

Yeah I guess you are alone with this. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Gandalf Parker
August 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Actually its a common first effort in a game to mod it to the previous version. Good learning experience. I like that better than planning to change it into a whole new game right off the bat. Just IMHO

DominionsFan
August 30th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Gandalf Parker said:
Actually its a common first effort in a game to mod it to the previous version. Good learning experience. I like that better than planning to change it into a whole new game right off the bat. Just IMHO

Well there is a point in that yeah, however I doubt that I will have any problems to make a total conversion mod. The hardest part will be making/editing the gfx for it.

Arralen
August 31st, 2006, 03:00 AM
Don't waste your time on such a silly project!
Just off the top of my head:
You can't mod the changed blesses back
You can't mod changed spell or weapon effects back, as those are hardcoded and not accessable for modding; you can only choose between effects
You can't change the castle building system, as this would require a GUI change (there's no castle choice in pretender creation)
You can't remove the eras and bring themes back, unless you delete all nations and load every nation which is played in a single game via mod file

And I think it's good that you can't do that!

Why that, and why do I think it would be silly project anyway?
At first, lots of work has gone into Dom3 to make those changes and new features work well and balanced. Throwing that work away doesn't make sense to me. Furthermore, you won't get to see much of how it plays with the improved UI and AI - as e.g. the AI does not know about castle choice at pretender creation any more. I'm not exactly sure what it's criteria choosing the provinces for castle building during the game are now, but for sure it tries to protect it's borders with castles, and it may go for ressourece-heavy or 'special' provinces as well, I'm not sure about that. Oh, and o.c. you can't mod the AI not to build castles at all!
You can of course mod some of those inbalanced units and items back in, or create some new one. But I really don't see any worth in that - do you? Is clam hoarding really that great?

Daynarr
August 31st, 2006, 05:15 AM
Basically, if you want to play game like Dom2 then play Dom2.

Gandalf Parker
August 31st, 2006, 12:42 PM
But he wants to play Dom2 with the better ai and new races and new equipment. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif Modding it back to a super-patched Dom2

Im not sure that its possible though. You might get the spells and effects switched back but the old castle system would be rough. Im not sure though since I dont mod much

NTJedi
August 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM
He would have more luck modding DOM_2 to include all the DOM_3 features he wants. If he wants better AI... no choice, but to play DOM_3.