PDA

View Full Version : I've just purchased the game, glad I found it!

Mortibus
August 30th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I read an article about Dominions 2 a few years ago and have always wanted to play, but unfortunately the article was just read in passing and I forgot the name. I recall looking through my huge stack of computer game magazines trying to find it again.

I'm very glad I came across Dominions 3 recently in the Galactic Civilizations II forum, and bought it right away! This sounds like the perfect game for me.

I'm wondering if there is a beta version I can download to keep me occupied until the disk arrives in October?

If not, I'm wondering if there is a listing of the gods and troops, possibly with accompanying screenshots, or perhaps an online manual?

Thanks.

NTJedi
August 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Download the Dominions_2 demo... this will allow you to learn the basics of the game and keep you busy until DOM_3 arrives in early OCT.

Mortibus
August 31st, 2006, 12:09 AM
I'll try it, thanks. I hope it's not a demo that ends too quickly.

I noticed that Dominion 3 was "out of stock" when I ordered it, hopefully the shipment of the full version of 3 won't be too delayed.

I do think putting the manual online, monster database, etc. would be great, so if anyone knows of such let me know.

Now that I've seen the cover art for Dominion 2 I'm kicking myself, I could have bought it a while ago at a store but didn't recognize it as the game I read the article about. I got Masters of Orion 3 instead. Bah.

Arralen
August 31st, 2006, 02:42 AM
Mortibus said:
I do think putting the manual online, monster database, etc. would be great, so if anyone knows of such let me know.

You'll find lots of Dom2 documentation online - check the links in the Dom2 subforum.

But you won't find the manual - it's considered some kind of "copy protection" by Shrapnel, as it contains the serial number, amongst other things. Therefore we got explicitly told not to put it online in any form.

For Dom3, obviously there isn't any manual online - for the same reasons. And the game is not released yet http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

There's good news for you nevertheless: Most of the information which you have to hunt down on your own for Dom2 will be in the manual for Dom3.

NTJedi
August 31st, 2006, 02:29 PM
Mortibus said:
I'll try it, thanks. I hope it's not a demo that ends too quickly.

The demo ends on turn40, only some spells are available and you're limited on the nations you can play. It's definitely enough to learn the basics of the game.

Mortibus said:
I noticed that Dominion 3 was "out of stock" when I ordered it, hopefully the shipment of the full version of 3 won't be too delayed.

The sooner you place your order the better because it places you closer to the front on the waiting list compared with another individual who orders the game 4 weeks from now.
Not sure why it's listed as 'out of stock' when ShrapnelGames has not even started making the CDs yets. The 'out of stock' statement will also have some customers not make a purchase.

Mortibus said:

You won't find the manual online, but there's some helpful spreadsheets about the game.

Mortibus said:
Now that I've seen the cover art for Dominion 2 I'm kicking myself, I could have bought it a while ago at a store but didn't recognize it as the game I read the article about. I got Masters of Orion 3 instead. Bah.

I heard MoO_3 was a disappointment to most gamers. I almost bought the game luckily I waited and avoided this purchase.

SafeKeeper
September 1st, 2006, 05:08 PM
I heard MoO_3 was a disappointment to most gamers. I almost bought the game luckily I waited and avoided this purchase.

I bought it, as I like 4X games. It's probably a good game once you know how to play, but the problem is I couldn't for the life of me get into it. I did try, and believe me, I do have a patience with hard-to-learn games, but every attempt I made ended in failure.

It had some interesting-looking concepts, but in the end I just gave it up. Sad.

Pity Stars! Supernova Genesis got cancelled. It'd have rocked.

Reverend_MrBlack
September 1st, 2006, 05:20 PM
SafeKeeper said:
Pity Stars! Supernova Genesis got cancelled. It'd have rocked.

I didn't even know they were working on a sequel to Stars! What a shame it got cancelled. I found a copy of it in EB for 10 bucks back when they were selling used PC games. Very good game.

Mortibus
September 1st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Okay, the demo for Dom2 just made me cranky, now I REALLY want to play Dom3. I can't wait to play the C'Thulu race (forgot the name). Not very user friendly, but I expected worse from some of the reviews.

Moo3 was okay, but a disappointment from Moo2, and it's still buggy years after release. I really enjoy GC2, but also can't get it to run very well on my new Dell and I'm just waiting for the patch at this point.

Stars! was a great game, I agree. Is the Space Empire V on this board comparable?

Okay, I want a download of the full Dom2 to pass the time until 3 comes out. A free download for every paying customer!

Nerfix
September 1st, 2006, 06:30 PM
R'lyeh. It's called R'lyeh.

Ahhh, R'lyeh and it's lobo wave attacks... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Gandalf Parker
September 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
I loved stars (still have it on my machine).
But I consider Space Empires to be well above Stars. Im playing Space Empires IV with giant universes and 150 different races for it to choose the opponents from. And thats after I trimmed it down.

I havent tried Space Empires V (it hasnt released yet but it should soon).

baby_arm
September 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM
If you're interested in Space Empires, SE4 is now only $10 (download version) so you might as well pick it up.

DominionsFan
September 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM
Gandalf Parker said:
I loved stars (still have it on my machine).
But I consider Space Empires to be well above Stars. Im playing Space Empires IV with giant universes and 150 different races for it to choose the opponents from. And thats after I trimmed it down.

I havent tried Space Empires V (it hasnt released yet but it should soon).

Yeah, SEV is out very soon. I will buy the game of course. Anyways I wonder that it will be better then Galciv2 or not. I already stopped to play with Galciv2, the game is not addictive enough to be honest. Doms 2. is much more addictive.