PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Riders?

Tyrant
September 3rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
I've read about lifedrain, quickness and relief, but not a word about the spell that i think is most overpowered in DomII- Ghost Riders. Anyone know if it has been nerfed?

And on a completely unrelated topic, was there any effort to rebalance magic paths as a whole? I always felt fire was generally inferior and water's unquestioned value was highly concentrated in a very small number of spells and items. I also felt that it was wierd that water magic was not especially powerfull in underwater battles.

Nerfix
September 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'd like to know that too. I think there were some really cool suggestions for new fire spells made by some of the fans (Namely "Incadescence" which increased spell damage) but I doubt they got in.

PvK
September 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
I think Ghost Riders now requires the caster to have at least a couple more levels of Death magic (and in general, some summoned and indy death mages have lower death levels than before), so it's harder to do and to cast with many casters at once, but still strong if you can cast it. I haven't seen the effect since several versions ago, to know if it is any different than before.

Boron
September 3rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Yes ghost riders needs now 6 to cast. Also keep in mind the doubled research costs. The need of 6 to cast ghost riders forces you basically to use demiliches to cast ghost riders.
At least most nations. Because most of those national mages that can get death 4 have also old age and thus need to get replaced every now and then.

For fire there are now to quite useful looking new battlefield spells http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif.
Evocation 8: Pillar of fire. 2F to cast.
Range 100, AoE 1.
34+ ap damage.
Alteration 8: Conflagration. 2f to cast.
Range 25, AoE 10.
Precision 100
Works like high area combustion. Armor is ignored this way. So a good spell to get rid of highly armored human troops.

These 2 spells give fire even more flexibility on the battlefield, and f2 is not a high requirement.

And then hellswords and soul contracts need now some fire gems too for forging.

And finally fever fetishes got thematically nerved, they do not produce fire gems every season now but rather unpredictable, so every other season only.

These changes should make fire magic better than in dom2 http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif.

I think fire might be better battlemagic than air in dom3.

Nerfix
September 4th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Better battlemagic because of two high-level spells? Sorry, I doubt it.

NTJedi
September 5th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Tyrant said:
I've read about lifedrain, quickness and relief, but not a word about the spell that i think is most overpowered in DomII- Ghost Riders. Anyone know if it has been nerfed?

I agree with the others and eager to see if Ghost Riders was nerfed enough.