PDA

View Full Version : Has Deathmatch changed in Dom 3?

tibbs
September 8th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Is the reward vs. risk great enough that people would consider entering a Pretender in the tournament?

Any details? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

Endoperez
September 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Probably not. Only one can win, and all the others die. If it'd worth sending one's pretender in, that would mean that it'd be worth it for someone else to send his pretender to the arena as well. That is, the price would be so good that it'd be worth killing one's pretender in the Arena - and in that case, it'd be a bit much.

Research is slower, so it takes longer to forge better gear than the Champion's Trident, and it might be harder to get access to Water (and to Quickness) now. Even now that it doesn't let mages cast their spells twice as fast, it's still a very good ability, and with the huge experience award, at least cheap thugs should be worth sending in. If they win, they become respectable combatants, and you won't lose too much even if they lose.

Ballbarian
September 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM
A quote from thejeff in a Dom2 thread (http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=443242&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1):

An interesting approach might be for the prize to get more powerful with each match a champion wins.

As an alternative to the trident itself changing properties, what if your nation received a random magic trinket and a small cash prize that increased slightly each time you won a tournament in addition to the champion's trident. Nothing so powerful or valuable to justify Pretender suicide, but enticing enough to encourage participation. I myself usually don't want to restrict my commanders to a two handed weapon, but adding to my treasury and possibly getting a free dwarven hammer would make it more tempting...

Twan
September 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I hope it will be possible to mod the item id of the death match reward at least, then players will be able to choose to make the DM secondary, important or very important (personnally I'd give a really useful relic but not helping the winner for the next tournament, the philosophical stone, the chalice or something like that, then everybody would try to win but have to fully equip a champion).

Also having some commands to modify the tournament itself can be fun (like #nodm, #annualdm, #dmnoprentender, #dmnoprophet,#dmnomage, #dmonlyregular,or why not even #dmautosendpretender, #dmautosendprophet, #dmautosendrandom) .

NTJedi
September 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
All excellent suggestions Twan.

I wonder if the beta-testers can comment on the deathmatch ??

okiN
September 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Twan said:Also having some commands to modify the tournament itself can be fun (like #nodm, #annualdm, #dmnoprentender, #dmnoprophet,#dmnomage, #dmonlyregular,or why not even #dmautosendpretender, #dmautosendprophet, #dmautosendrandom).

This would be great. Especially #dmautosendpretender and #dmautosendprophet could be very, very interesting.

Endoperez
September 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
NTJedi said:

None of Twan's ideas have been implemented.

NTJedi
September 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Endoperez said:

NTJedi said:

None of Twan's ideas have been implemented.

Have any changes been made for the prize?
if you can't comment on details a simple Yes or No is good too

DominionsFan
September 11th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Twan said:
I hope it will be possible to mod the item id of the death match reward at least, then players will be able to choose to make the DM secondary, important or very important (personnally I'd give a really useful relic but not helping the winner for the next tournament, the philosophical stone, the chalice or something like that, then everybody would try to win but have to fully equip a champion).

Also having some commands to modify the tournament itself can be fun (like #nodm, #annualdm, #dmnoprentender, #dmnoprophet,#dmnomage, #dmonlyregular,or why not even #dmautosendpretender, #dmautosendprophet, #dmautosendrandom) .

Yes, modding can help a lot. I guess we can change the reward somehow. In fact I am pretty sure about it. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

JaydedOne
September 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Worst comes to worst, just use the copy command mentioned in the mods forum to copy another item's stats over the Champion's Trident or replace its stats with something altogether new of your own making.

Endoperez
September 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM
JaydedOne said:
Worst comes to worst, just use the copy command mentioned in the mods forum to copy another item's stats over the Champion's Trident or replace its stats with something altogether new of your own making.

I don't think there's a copy command for items. It's a very good idea, though, for the same reasons it's good for units.

JaydedOne
September 11th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Well, darn. I misremembered the text for the monster copying command and thought it also applied to items.

Ah well. Something to hope for in a future patch then! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Endoperez
September 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
JaydedOne said:
Well, darn. I misremembered the text for the monster copying command and thought it also applied to items.

Ah well. Something to hope for in a future patch then! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Actually, I also misremembered. There haven't been any updates to magic item modding, so I don't think that's a priority.

Copying powers and sprite of one magic item would probably work, as long as both items were of the same type (e.g. a weapon's powers copied for another weapon). Trying to change e.g. Champion's Trident to act like a Clam of Pearls wouldn't probably work. Changing names still isn't possible.

Even with a #copyitem and #copyitemspr commands, you could only change the price of the Arena to an existing weapon (but probably not its name). Changing the stats of the weapon it refers to would probably change the original weapon as well, so you couldn't do e.g. Trident of Many Colors without changing the original item as well.

I'm not sure if enchancing item modding is a priority. Giving examples of what you want to do might make it more of one. Modding subforum is still pretty empty, so you could try to start a new thread... It'd be better to keep the requested commands pretty simple, though. You know, casting a spesific spell, giving spesific unit special ability, etc.