PDA

View Full Version : New to Dom world

bruce205
September 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Hey folks,
Just got Dom 2 and have gone through walkthrough and have read the manual. The whole world seems so fascinating that I just preordered Dom 3!! Does that seem a little stupid for a newbie to the Dom franchise? I guess I just wanted to help a small developer out and show my support.
Since I preordered a few days ago will I still receive Dom 3 on Oct 2? I live in Ohio.
Also any tips to get the most from the game?
Thanks for listening.

NTJedi
September 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
bruce205 said:
Hey folks,
Just got Dom 2 and have gone through walkthrough and have read the manual. The whole world seems so fascinating that I just preordered Dom 3!! Does that seem a little stupid for a newbie to the Dom franchise? I guess I just wanted to help a small developer out and show my support.

After playing the dominions_2 demo about three times way back during 2003 I proceeded with purchasing the game as well. In my book this is one of those games which doesn't get uninstalled.

bruce205 said:
Since I preordered a few days ago will I still receive Dom 3 on Oct 2? I live in Ohio.

The first orders will be loaded onto the trucks OCT.2nd. I remember hearing those who ordered first will get processed first so if someone preordered the game in July it's more likely for them to have their copy shipped out sooner. I really don't think this will make much difference.

bruce205 said:
Also any tips to get the most from the game?
Thanks for listening.

Sure...
ERMOR is the most dangerous of the computer opponents. To build-up suspense play against him when you feel good and ready for a new challenge.

If you find a nation which is not enjoyable for whatever reason feel free to jump and try a different nation. You can always return later.

You can edit the .map file to make maps more interesting and/or challenging. Allowing you to make changes such as placing allies for computer opponents. You could even start yourself or computer opponents with some unique commander and/or units. There's a PDF describing all the changes which can be made within the .map file.

Try to remain friends with as many computer opponents as possible until you feel ready to attack and absorb their provinces.

Check-out the Dominions II Game FAQ and Dominions II Links at the top of the Dominions2 forum... there's many useful tools and pieces of information.

bruce205
September 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks NTJedi, exactly what I was looking for!

PashaDawg
September 23rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Don't be bashful about playing multi-player! Playing against the computer is fun, but playing against other players is even FUNNER!! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Gandalf Parker
September 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
When learning Dominions 2 I recommend turning UP the independent setting. The default of 3 will frustrate you. It lets the AI rush you too soon. A setting of 5 or 6 will give you an advantage. You are more likely to make logical choices of who to attack while the AI gets the tail kicked trying to take on the wrong province too soon.

Pay attention to the candles. The name of the game is "dominions" and thats the measurement of your dominion strength.

Try each nation and dont be discouraged if you cant win with some. They are very unique. Everyone has their own style of play. Barbarian horde, stealth and sneak attack, defense and research, army of tanks, just to name a few. What you are trying to do is figure out which nation allows you to play YOUR way the best.

Gandalf Parker

Endoperez
September 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Gandalf Parker said:
When learning Dominions 2 I recommend turning UP the independent setting. The default of 3 will frustrate you. It lets the AI rush you too soon. A setting of 5 or 6 will give you an advantage. You are more likely to make logical choices of who to attack while the AI gets the tail kicked trying to take on the wrong province too soon.

That's been changed to be the default setting in Dom3 as well, so using it in DomII games will help you to get into Dom3 more easily.

Meglobob
September 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Gandalf Parker said:

Pay attention to the candles. The name of the game is "dominions" and thats the measurement of your dominion strength.

Try each nation and dont be discouraged if you cant win with some. They are very unique. Everyone has their own style of play. Barbarian horde, stealth and sneak attack, defense and research, army of tanks, just to name a few. What you are trying to do is figure out which nation allows you to play YOUR way the best.

Gandalf Parker

This is spot on.

If u turn indies to 9, the AI has a hard time expanding. Giving u the player time to build up, thus making the game much easier for yr self.

When u want a really hard, testing game put indies to 1 and AI to difficult or even impossible. It's really hard to survive the 1st 20 turns as one AI will declare war early and attempt to steamroller u. It's good fun thou, especially when u survive and get yr revenge. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif