PDA

View Full Version : NewMap: Isolated Islands, 1-on-1 segregated

Wish
September 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Made this using age of wonders 2 map creator, and painstakingly cutting and pasting screens in to paint shop pro.

It is a head-to-head map (it can support 4, but isn't designed to) where the players are separated from eachother by water, and a blood-slavers island. Amidst the slavers and in part of the sea is an army of well equipped skeptics - designed to separate the two players by dominion as well.

Figure out how to cross the seas, get past the blood-based independents, and over to your enemies continent, and its time to battle. Usually by this time, the hope is, both nations will be pretty big.

43 provinces, 12 of them are water

http://www.importantlife.net/isolation.jpg

BigJMoney
September 23rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Downloading!

=$= Big J Money =$=

Gandalf Parker
September 24th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Very nice. Im thrilled to see maps like this showing up.

Nerfix
September 24th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Sweet! I wonder if I should reinstal my AOW just for the editor. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Frostmourne27
September 24th, 2006, 10:21 PM
You might want to put a bit more info up here... number of provinces, and number of water provinces especially.

Wish
September 24th, 2006, 11:53 PM
done, but i don't see how such information makes any difference.

Frostmourne27
September 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM
some people have... different... ideas about small and large maps, and its hard to judge from the picture how many provinces there are. It looks like a neat map though, I can't wait to try it out.

Gandalf Parker
September 26th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I find it works best to talk about maps in formula form. Hearing how many hundreds of provinces a map has isnt as clear to me about the type of game it will create, as it is when I see "appropriate for 8 players at 10 province each".

paradoxharbinger
September 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM
i really like the concept for the map, i'll give it go next time i get to play some dominions.

Wish
September 27th, 2006, 12:36 AM
yeah gandalf, i figured saying the map was designed for head-to-head play covered that. for what its worth, they each get 18 lands, 4 of which are underwater, and the other lands are inhabited by the skeptics. I figured that was enough of a base for any nation to build up the necessary resources to get across the sea.

also I wanted a map where sailing actually meant something. vanhiem has an advantage here, but they still need to be able to take out the independants.

paradoxharbinger
September 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM
what about a map similar to this one, but for 3 or 4 players, and a few more independant islands?

Wish
September 28th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I could drum one up, i actually have a very poorly drawn 4 island map that I occasionally play on to test new strats, but each player only gets 7 provinces and there was no intermediate islands (just underwater skeptics, guarded by armies of shark knights, it was rough)

I might whip something up for dom3 in that regard.

Wish
September 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
on second thought i will. it will be the same concept but for 4 players, with 11 lands and 5 water provinces each, plus a chain of skeptic-infested seas and islands. (3 two province islands and one central island - they wont have the same suprises on them except the skeptics.)

I got the tga done, I just need to run it through the editor and do some hand tweeking.

(i'll start a new thread for it)

paradoxharbinger
September 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
that's sweet, i've been playing with the 1 on 1 map, and it seems like a massive arms race. maybe with more players it will be a little more action-packed

Wish
September 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM
well it will still be an arms race i suppose, unless you play marignon or vanhiem.

paradoxharbinger
September 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
maybe i ought to go for easy magic research, i was playing with difficult reserch

Wish
September 29th, 2006, 02:30 AM
i usually test them with research on normal, max inde and max magic. though if i don't want to deal with the indes, i set it really low.

also keep in mind on this and the next map, you can make a pretender with low dominion, and not suffer for it.