PDA

View Full Version : Summary of armor chances in Dom 3?

Nerfix
September 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM
So, what exactly the shields do now? What determines the chance to block, how the blocking can be pierced etc.? Do they contribute to total armor of the unit, and if they do how?

Same for helmets. How much they they contribute to total protection and so on. Does unit with 15 prot helm hit on the head with a Maul take damage, how likely is it to get hit on the head etc,

Endoperez
September 25th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Nerfix said:
So, what exactly the shields do now? What determines the chance to block, how the blocking can be pierced etc.? Do they contribute to total armor of the unit, and if they do how?

Same for helmets. How much they they contribute to total protection and so on. Does unit with 15 prot helm hit on the head with a Maul take damage, how likely is it to get hit on the head etc,

I'm not the manual guy, but I'll try to sum it up. This might be wrong; this is just how I think it works.

There are two units, A and B. A has attack of 11 with his weapon, B has defense of 10 without a shield.

A tries to attack B. If B has no shield, attack and defense are compared to each other just like in DomII.

This changes if B has a shield. I'll use these fictional stats in the example.
Protection, shield: 14
Defense: -1
Parry: 5

If B has a shield, and A misses B's defense without the shield's parry bonus, nothing happens. There are no more effects than on a normal miss. Bigger shields lower defense. B has effective defense of 9.
If B has a shield, and A gets past B's defense but is stopped by B's parry value, the shield protection is added to B's protection. If A's attack rating is over 9 but less than (9+5) the defense+parry total of B, B has 14 higher armor for blocking that hit.

I'm even less sure about the helmets. I think Protection, Head values is used instead of Protection, Body whenever someone hits head instead of other bodyparts. I'm not sure which variables affect the chance of a head-hit. It's harder to hit bigger creatures' heads with short weapons, or something like that. Some afflictions are limited to head-hits (feeble-mindedness, eyeloss, etc).

That's all.

Nerfix
September 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hang on, so if the defender parries he gets Shield prot + normal prot for protection purposes?

As for helmets, how much say a 12 prot helmet contributes to total protection? Is there some percentage or something? I remember you posted some of the values at some occasion.

Endoperez
September 25th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Nerfix said:
Hang on, so if the defender parries he gets Shield prot + normal prot for protection purposes?

As for helmets, how much say a 12 prot helmet contributes to total protection? Is there some percentage or something? I remember you posted some of the values at some occasion.

I don't think there's any "total protection". The number shown in the unit view is just an approximation. Protection 20/0 for body/head is 20 for the body, 0 when someone hits your head.

Nerfix
September 25th, 2006, 12:42 PM
REally? I thought they added a bit to the total prot. Ah well.

PDF
September 25th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Well, I'm not sure of how Helmet prot works : the game indeed tracks Body prot and Head prot, but also shows a "global prot" that looks like 80% body+20% head

Either attacks are "localized" (body or head) but I doubt it (what about headless creatures or hydras ?), else the global averaged prot is used...

Endoperez
September 25th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Are you thinking of natural protection? Natural protection affects both types of armor in the same way, if the protection values happen to be the same.

Endoperez
September 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM
PDF said:
Well, I'm not sure of how Helmet prot works : the game indeed tracks Body prot and Head prot, but also shows a "global prot" that looks like 80% body+20% head

Either attacks are "localized" (body or head) but I doubt it (what about headless creatures or hydras ?), else the global averaged prot is used...

I thought the global prot. was just an approximation, and only either body or head protection was used. Quess we'll have to wait for the manual, then.

Meglobob
September 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I have an idea that would go well with this system. A new command to specifically target the head or body. Perhaps assassins and other similar units could have this ability? To late for Dom 3 but a future patch?

Taqwus
September 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM
How do the new shield rules work with damage shields? Ex -- does the horror-marking shield only trigger on a shield parry?

Endoperez
September 25th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Taqwus said:
How do the new shield rules work with damage shields? Ex -- does the horror-marking shield only trigger on a shield parry?

Haven't tested it to that amount, but a Nataraja with four shields (and a Useless Kick) isn't impervious to damage.

Kristoffer O
September 26th, 2006, 05:11 PM
The total (global) protection is used with AoE attacks, but otherwise a hit is either head or body.

Nerfix
September 26th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I see, I see, thanks for info.