PDA

View Full Version : Playing all nations

WraithLord
October 2nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
I have read some mentions that it will be possible to play with all the nations from all the three ages, IIRC this should be possible via an "anachronistic mod".

I was wondering if that mod is ready or not and also whether the balance between nations of different ages in such mod was considered or, better yet, tested.

From what I gather there are considerable changes between nations in different ages, so just technically allowing to choose every nation might not be sufficient if the nations are significantly unbalanced across ages.

Given the wealth of nations in all ages I think it will be really nice if the option the play all the nations will be viable.

( Also such an option will make it possible to determine which nation rules http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Arralen
October 2nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
1) No
2) Because of that, a little bit, and no.
3) yes

Endoperez
October 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Well...

EA nations often have big, expensive, specialized commanders. They start with income of 6 gems.
MA nations sometimes can summon big, expensive, specialized commanders, especially if the version from earlier era had them. They start with income of 5 gems.
LA nations are rarely diverse in magic. They start with income of 4 gems. Death seems to be more common in LA.

Some nations would be pretty easy to move from one Age to another. As an example, I think Patala could be made into an EA nation simply by replacing their armored apes with those Kailasa has. There are few reasons for not doing that, but their mages are expensive and powerful, and I immediately thought of EA when I noticed them.

Daynarr
October 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Actually, I have made a mod (actually 3 of them) that lets you play all nations in one era. Made 1 mod for each era so you can chose, for example, early era mod to play all nations in early era. Eras DO matter, as indies, mercs and some events depend on era as well.

However, I won't release it immediately as there are some bugs related to it, so I'll wait until they are fixed. Actually, each era has more nations then Dom2 had so you really won't feel the need for this mod until much later and maybe not even then.

Gandalf Parker
October 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
And I can create games which are setup to allow players from a particular era, but all the other nations are in as AIs. Thats seperate from Daynarrs mod and not quite what you wanted but still a fun option.

WraithLord
October 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Daynarr said:
Actually, I have made a mod (actually 3 of them) that lets you play all nations in one era. Made 1 mod for each era so you can chose, for example, early era mod to play all nations in early era. Eras DO matter, as indies, mercs and some events depend on era as well.

However, I won't release it immediately as there are some bugs related to it, so I'll wait until they are fixed. Actually, each era has more nations then Dom2 had so you really won't feel the need for this mod until much later and maybe not even then.

Your mods sounds great!

For me, the main drive for this mod would be to create MP games with more options for nations and so that ppl can get to choose their favorite nations regardless of eras. The main gripe I foresee with this is that nations are (apparently) not balanced between ages. But it might result in some fun MP games anyway, for which purpose Gandalf's mod sounds indeed like another fun option.

Gandalf Parker
October 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah I think that a game of "everyone pick an early era nation" and then playing with all of the middle and late era tossed in as AI's could be very interesting.

But I will hold of on non-standard things like that until people have played for awhile on the game that Johan and Kristoffer wrote. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif