PDA

View Full Version : Manual Typos

Mindi
October 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM
We've had two typos reported in the manual, so I have started this thread for typos only. If there are enough of them, we will make changes in the next printing.

Thanks!
Mindi

Caduceus
October 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Page vi - A Note on the Music
"If you are lucky enough to love on the US west coast" should be "live". (A matter of taste, I suppose.)

Page 3 - A Note to Those...
Bullet 4 - "Certain nations have a lot of unqiue..." should be "unique"

Page 12 - Paragraph 3
"That's because these units cost 10 gold and 9 resources." Should be phrased with "each" as language is unclear.

Page 13 - Turn 3, Paragraph 2
"You can either left-lick on it..." should be "left-click". (Again a matter of opinion http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Page 39 - Chart
Order is underlined while all other scale names are not.

EDIT Fixed my own typos! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

PDF
October 5th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Magic Boost items table p 282, the Blood Stone is incorrectly indicated +1B instead of +1E.
The item description is correct.

thejeff
October 5th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Turn resolution sequence:
"17. ... So if you forge a magic item with a special effect (like a Clam) you will gain the benefit of its effect on the same turn."

But they appear in your lab and have no effect until given to someone.

daesthai
October 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure if this is a typo or if I'm doing something wrong..

p. 10 in the turtorial says "Left-click on Draam so he turns white, then hold down the [SHIFT] key and press [r]." to set Draam to be researching.

when I do that, it just opens up the recruit screen.

Caduceus
October 5th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Dominion Scales

Page 39 and Page 51

There are several discrepancies between the two charts.

1.) Turmoil - 10% more random events or 5% more random events
2.) Growth/Death - Increases/Decreases supplies by 20% or 15%
3.) Magic/Drain - Gives mages +/- 1 research or +/- 1/2 research per scale

thejeff
October 5th, 2006, 05:46 PM
daesthai:
You probably have Caps Lock on?

That's how I can duplicate it.

ceremony
October 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I found some too!

p. 225 Battlefield spells key: "plus several more are probably advisable just for fatiigue reduction"

p. 78 "2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1" should have an additional 1,1 at the end, as the damage only adds up to 13. The rest of the description in that paragraph is correct.,

I'm sure there are more. Sorry for the typos, guys. Hopefully the manual is a positive thing on the whole. I guess I underestimated the task of self-proofing a 300-page manual. I did my best to comb through the manual for corrections (and even caught a bunch just before printing, but I take responsibility for the errors which remain.

Now I know how IW feels when they make a patch.

Annette
October 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Bruce,

I think you did an incredible job. I've seen more typos in a hardback published novel. As Mindi said, if there are enough to warrant a new setup of the printers' files, we'll address these in the second printing.

Taqwus
October 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
The destealth calculations did not make sense to me. While I don't have the manual here with me at the moment, I seem to recall --

destealth ~ sum{unit destealth} - (unrest/2) + {pd-9)

example cites 10 Black Knights w/ destealth each 1.4 (commander not counted?) (total 14), unrest of 14 (which should be a penalty of 7, if it's unrest/2), pd of 21 or so.

It says that 'the BK destealth is reduced to 1'.

It has to mean that the total destealth of all 10 BKs is 1, because plugging in 10 (reduced to 1 per BK, instead of 1 total) yields a different final destealth. If the total BK destealth is reduced to 1, that's a penalty of 13, not 7.

---

IIRC the paralysis damage example also is inconsistent.

The manual states that if a unit already has a non-zero paralysis duration of P1, and gets hit with a P2 paralysis damage attack, the unit takes hp damage based on the lesser value (min(P1,P2)/2 IIRC), and gets a new paralysis duration of max(P1,P2). The example, however, switches them -- the lesser duration is kept, while the greater does the hp damage.

ceremony
October 5th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Taqwus said:
The destealth calculations did not make sense to me.
---

IIRC the paralysis damage example also is inconsistent.

There are miscalculations in both places. I will amend the examples and post them.

In general, the text is always right. The problem sometimes occurred that the example was recalculated wrong when the mechanics changed, or it was calculated wrong in the first place and not corrected by me subsequently. If in doubt, the manual text is always right. The example may not be. I will look through the rest of the examples.

RamsHead
October 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Page 214 Faery Trod

There is a 50% chance of becoming lost of the faery path if...

That does not sound right, though I could be wrong.

MarcinM
October 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM
The tutorial map has "Jelenia Gora" as one of the sea provinces. Unfortunately, Jelenia Gora means "Deer Mountain" in Polish, not a great name for a sea territory http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Minor quibble!

ceremony
October 5th, 2006, 10:53 PM
According to the .map file for Silent Seas, Jelenia Gora apparently appears twice - the island in the southeast was supposed to have two provinces named "Jelenia Gora" and "Giewont." I think there was a copy-paste error when I was assigning names. The one assigned to a sea province was inadvertent. Thanks for finding it.

ceremony
October 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM
p. 61: Retreat* should not have an asterisk as it does not require target orders. The text immediately below that is correct, though.

BigJMoney
October 6th, 2006, 01:50 AM
p.3, 1st paragraph: "...you're going to find out that there is a lot of learn." should be "a lot to learn"

p.37, 11th paragraph: "Capsule Screen The income, resources, and dominion in a province can be displayed (and toggled off) by hitting the [5] key." should be "the [4] key."

Wicked manual. I can't believe so much useful info is in one place. I am sooooo glad that resources and forts is in there. I always wondered if those heavy brown line impassable shared resources or not. Now I know that I had a crappy start as Ulm in my last DomII PBEM game! I had 2 or 3 territories across heavy brown lines, and they were all the local resource high ones.

=$=

Jarkko
October 6th, 2006, 04:02 AM
thejeff said:
daesthai:

No, it is a bug. Same thing happens to me too (Windows version, if that matters), no matter wether Caps lock is on or not. Also some other places where Shift does not work as intended (like I posted in the bug thread).

Taqwus
October 6th, 2006, 04:59 AM
National spells other than battle magic, summons, or holy appear to be missing. Intentional?

PDF
October 6th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Taqwus said:
National spells other than battle magic, summons, or holy appear to be missing. Intentional?

Do you mean there are national restricted rituals ? Didn't see any yet http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Endoperez
October 6th, 2006, 05:52 AM
From MA:
Ulm has Tempering the Will in Thaumaturgy.
Marignon has Holy Pyre, now national.
Tien Chi has Celestial Chastisement in Evocation.
Abysia has Inner Furnace in Enchtantment, and it's VERY cool.
Jotunheim has Illwinter the global, of course.
Bandar Log still has Celestial Music in Thaumaturgy.

Those are all I cound find ATM. MA R'lyeh doesn't yet have the dream thing, it seems.

PDF
October 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Endoperez said:
From MA:
Ulm has Tempering the Will in Thaumaturgy.
Marignon has Holy Pyre, now national.
Tien Chi has Celestial Chastisement in Evocation.
Abysia has Inner Furnace in Enchtantment, and it's VERY cool.
Jotunheim has Illwinter the global, of course.
Bandar Log still has Celestial Music in Thaumaturgy.

Those are all I cound find ATM. MA R'lyeh doesn't yet have the dream thing, it seems.

Except Illwinter , those are all battle spells, not rituals (as I was told on my Mage graduation http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif ), and all plus other are in pp 259-263 of the manual http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

We have a problem with Illwinter, which is not even in the full alphabetical list (Grimoire)!! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/shock.gif

Caduceus
October 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM
page 60 - General Orders > Fire
"If an enemy is" - this is a sentence fragment that doesn't continue on the next page - perhaps a printing error in my version?

page 63 - Unit Inventories
Should probably be "Commander Inventories" to alleviate confusion as standard units can't carry magic items. Just a thought.

EDIT - I am enjoying the manual as well, just trying to help its next incarnation. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

daesthai
October 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Jarkko said:

thejeff said:
daesthai:

No, it is a bug. Same thing happens to me too (Windows version, if that matters), no matter wether Caps lock is on or not. Also some other places where Shift does not work as intended (like I posted in the bug thread).

- Caps lock is not on.

For what it's worth:
- Win XP - Service Pack 2
- Laptop Computer
- AMD 64
- Like Jarkko said - several of the [SHIFT]+ operations are behaving incorrectly for me.

Nothing really special about the system - no weird setups or background programs running. But let me know if there's any more info I can provide to help. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

PhilD
October 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM
daesthai said:

- Caps lock is not on.

(Using the demo)

I tried, and failed, to type in capitals. My Pretender's name is all lowercase, and when I tried using the command for monthly casting (M, right?), I couldn't do it.

When I quit the demo, the caps lock was then on (I'd typed the key a few times during the session).

st.patrik
October 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Couple of things from the chart at the back showing Magic Boosting items:

It says Blood Stone boosts Blood but it actually boosts Earth

It says Staff of Elemental Mastery requires 3 of each path to forge, but unless I'm much mistaken it's actually 4.

Sindai
October 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM
PhilD said:
(Using the demo)

I tried, and failed, to type in capitals. My Pretender's name is all lowercase, and when I tried using the command for monthly casting (M, right?), I couldn't do it.

When I quit the demo, the caps lock was then on (I'd typed the key a few times during the session).

I can't use caps in the demo either. My keyboard shows when capslock is enabled so I know for certain that neither the shift key nor capslock have any effect.

Will
October 7th, 2006, 04:51 AM
pp. 85, Indirect Magic Table: might be a printing error, but there seems to be problem on the shaded lines of the table, so that the benefit from Earth magic has "Magic L adership +5", Nature magic has "Ma ic Leadership +5", and Blood magic has the "5" cut off halfway.

pp. 155, Grimoire Spell Index: "Summmon Sea Dogs" and "Summmon Sea Lions" should have "Summon". Not too big a deal, but the spelling puts them out of alphabetical order.

Sammual
October 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM
daesthai said:

Jarkko said:

thejeff said:
daesthai:

- Caps lock is not on.

For what it's worth:
- Win XP - Service Pack 2
- Laptop Computer
- AMD 64
- Like Jarkko said - several of the [SHIFT]+ operations are behaving incorrectly for me.

Nothing really special about the system - no weird setups or background programs running. But let me know if there's any more info I can provide to help. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

I have noticed that if the game is full screen and I ALT-TAB out to another app the same thing happens to me every time.

As long as I don't hit the windows key or ALT-TAB it is fine.

Sammual

daesthai
October 7th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I have noticed that if the game is full screen and I ALT-TAB out to another app the same thing happens to me every time.

As long as I don't hit the windows key or ALT-TAB it is fine.

Sammual

Hmm..thanks for the info, but didn't make a difference for me. Both fullscreen and windowed mode behave the same for me. And alt+tab'ing out of Dom and back does some strange video things on my system, so I just avoid it =)

And now that PhilD has mentioned it, I can't type in capital letters either, everything is lower-case. It's as if the shift button doesn't register at all.

Oh well, I'll keep an eye out to see if a solution presents itself. In the meantime, I won't worry about the hotkeys. =)

Fate
October 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Protection of the Grave on page 222: shouldn't it say 10 range? (it says 5)

I just got my copy today, and the manual is huge ( :O )

-I really really like it though http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

This is the first full Dominions game I have gotten, I am so excited! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

BigJMoney
October 8th, 2006, 02:09 AM
On page 77 under Missile Combat there is an inconsistency that is making missile deviation calculation difficult to comprehend. "The amount of deviation is equal to the range multiplied by 1.25 / Precision." Yet, in the example below that, the "divided by Precision" part is left out; it's simply 8 x 1.25 = 10. 10 is a lot different than 10/Precision! (In the example the precision was 10).

The difference is pretty big. For example, a unit with Precision 17 can fire with no deviation up to a range of 10 squares. However, once he hits 11 squares, either the max deviation is 13.75 (13?), or 0.57 (0?). If it's the latter, then technically he can fire with no deviation up to 19 squares away, because it's less than 1.

=$=

Fate
October 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM
In the tutorial it says that conquering the sea province will increase capitol resources due to the fort, but it says land forts do not take from sea provinces on page 36.

Another minor thing would be an explanation of summonable randoms (or, if they are totally random, a disclaimer stating that in the key), as the only other way to find out is via game files.

Truper
October 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Spell Index, page 149. Fire Shield is listed as Ench 1 when it is actually Ench 3.

Twan
October 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Error in the text or in the game :

The manual and the introduction page for Ct'is say that Ct'is (miasma) prefer heat scale +1.

The dominion screen when you create a pretender for Ct'is say they prefer heat scale +2.

hoo
October 10th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Page 213: Haruspex says it conducts a Search for "EARTH magic". I believe that's suppose to be for nature.

Same page: Augury spell: Search sites of "Earth Magic", but I believe it's supposed to be fire.

Cut and paste gremlin I suspect.

Page 233:

In the light of Northern Star spell description, there is a small conversation about the actual effects of the spell.

Manual is fantastic.

Taqwus
October 12th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Table of Abbreviations mentions FWAESDNBHU. There is no U anymore.

Possible omission, definite vagueness: Gift of Kurgi trait list does not mention Feeblemind (or was this removed? I don't have a good-enough Blood mage to check), and simply says "Dangerous". Granted, vagueness might be apropos here.

Taqwus
October 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Omission: 'Strength Not Added' is fairly important to know re weapons, ex. Rod of Death.

Endoperez
October 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Magical hearts don't mention that they cause Chest Wound afflictions

Peter Ebbesen
October 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Ashen Empire's Soul Gate is neither listed in the Grimoire index, nor the Grimoire itself.

Wraith Senator is listed as having H3 (page 191) - he has H2 in the relase version.

Wraith Consul is listed as having H4 (page 172) - he has H3 in the release version. He is also listed as being a summon generally accessible through death magic - hence his location on page 172, but the Wraith Consul belongs in the Ashen Empire national summons on page ~191.

Cainehill
October 16th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Not exactly a typo, but :

Couldn't the manual's spell lists and whatnot have been sorted in _some_ fashion? They're not alphabetical. They're not sorted by school of magic, or by magic level. Sometimes an Alt-3 spell is listed after an Alt-5 spell, all mixed with with Enchantment spells.

Makes it tedious / irritating when you're searching for a spell, and because of random(1) ordering, there's no logical way to quickly find the spells.

Similarly, is there any reason the Table of Contents & Index couldn't have been filled out a little better? ( _Why_ is the Dominions 3 Spell Index on page 143, instead of in the back of the book where the skeletal index is? )

Table of Contents could've/should've had something like :

Summoning Rituals
* Air Summonings
* Astral Summonings
* Blood

As well as having the national summonings mentioned, especially since once again there's zero rhyme or reason in the ordering of the nations : once again it's not alphabetical, nor is Early/Middle/Late age for the same "base" nation always grouped together.

(1) Possibly it's not really random, but if for instance it goes by the spell's ID number, that's essentially random when it comes to the players trying to use the manual as a reference.

ceremony
October 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Cainehill said:

Not exactly a typo, but :

Couldn't the manual's spell lists and whatnot have been sorted in _some_ fashion? They're not alphabetical. They're not sorted by school of magic, or by magic level.

Actually, all spells within a section are sorted by magic level within each path. The paths are listed alphabetically in each section, and within each path, they are sorted by level. The Death summons starting on p. 168 are a good example. They start at D1. Within D1, they are sorted by school, alphabetically (Conj before Ench) and again within Conj by ascending level (Ench 1 before Ench 2). This starts again in D2, with all the Conj spells being in ascending level order. And again in D3 (although Arouse Hunger is Alt and thus should probably be at the top of the D3 spells. So you got me there http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif). Multi-path spells are listed after single-paths spells if the primary paths are identical. See p. 209 (Astral Rituals) for another good example - all in path level order, then in school alpha order then level order if within the same path requirement. It is possible that in a few places I got one switched, as above, but consider that a typo.

In general, spell sorting was an important decision I made when I started the manual, and decided the most useful method would be by path, for the reasons I outlined on p. 143 in the intro to the grimoire. Within each path, they are sorted by level first rather than by school, again for reasons I tried to explain on p. 143.

Cainehill said:
As well as having the national summonings mentioned, especially since once again there's zero rhyme or reason in the ordering of the nations : once again it's not alphabetical

I think it is alphabetical, unless I'm misunderstanding you and we are talking about a different section. For national summons, they start on p. 182 with Abysia. Then Agartha, Agartha GC, Agartha KD, Agartha PO, Arco, Atlantis, Atlantis FS, Bandar Log, etc. I won't type it all out but if you are talking about this section, then the nations are alphabetically sorted. I even sorted the few nations with multiple ages listed by the name of the nation (so Agartha GC before KD before PO). I remember this because it required a lot of cutting, pasting, sorting, and re-checking to get them into this order. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Cainehill
October 17th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Ewww. The problem is that for national summons, it winds up jumping helter-skelter : Shinumaya for example goes Conj-3, Conj-5, Conj-1, etc, going up and down. I see now that it's astral, then death, etc, but that seems silly within national summons. That it's sorted at all is disguised because Astral comes before Nature, but looking at the Path column, Astral is 'S' - so 'S' is coming before 'N'.

Seems it would've made more sense to sort alphabetically within levels of schools of research, but...

On the nations you may be right, now that I'm looking at them again. Working night shift is playing havoc on my brain cell. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Frostmourne27
October 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
I'm not really sure if this is a typo, but Middle Ear Mictlan, The Reign of the Lawgiver, has no national example strategy, even though it is quite different from other ages of mictlan. (that's page 123 BTW)

Taqwus
October 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Murdering Winter is listed in the manual as costing 45 gems, but the game specifies 50.

Summon Mound Fiend lists the Mound Fiend's paths as D3; should be D3H2.

Tartarian Gate should probably not list (x1) in parentheses. There are multiple possible Tartarians, but none of them are in limited quantity as far as I know.

~~ Omissions

Hama Dryad summon perhaps should mention that they suffer if they leave their home province. Ditto for Naiads.

Tlahuelpuchi tags might want to mention Shapeshifting.

Void Spectre: Special, causes insanity.

olaf73
October 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I dont see the nation specific ritual Illwinter in the Grimoire index or in the ritual section of the Grimoire.

Louist
October 23rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Tables: p. 48, 49, 85:
The shaded tables in the manual cause letters to be left out on alternating lines.

Inconsistant use of periods within lists: p. 61, 62, 80, 92:
By this I just mean that some of the sentences within a single list have periods and punctuation, while others do not.

Tutorial: p. 12:
The screen shot shows the druid "Draam" to be named Ladenius. Not a big problem. Later in the tutorial, Draam is again referred to by another name, though I can't seem to find it just skimming through.

Also:
Territory names are sometimes used more than once on the pre-made maps. For instance, the larger "Glory of the Gods" map has two Scraw Points, territories (273) and (299).

Otherwise, a great manual of really amazing size.

Caduceus
October 24th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Grammatical error
page 136 - Middle Age Ulm
..cavalry and large monsters while the bowmen get engage enemy archers and light troops.

"Get" should be removed, most likely.

Arralen
October 24th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Twiceborn - erroneous spell description

In-game description says it works only on slain mages, i.e. in combat.

Manual simply states "if caster dies in friendly dominion" .. what would include drowning, disease, etc..

But the spell works only in combat, actually, therefore the text in the manual should be changed to "caster slain (during a battle) in friendly dominion".

Agrajag
October 25th, 2006, 02:34 AM
I know it worked on diseased commanders in Dom2, haven't got a chance to try it in Dom3

Cainehill
October 25th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Would also be interesting to see if it brings them back from the dead from magic assassinations, magic arrows from afar, etc. If not - bug city, imo.

Endoperez
October 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Some spells mention Def in the special box, but it isn't explained.

Some items mention Running, but it isn't explained.

EDIT:
On Page 74, battlefield movement doens't mention Flight's tactical teleporting. Also, the battle sequence seems to be out of order. Mages cast spells first, that's true, but fliers fly before missiles units fire missiles. If there is an order, archers should fire before fliers fly.

Arralen
November 5th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Info about magic sites is missing
Either its really not there, or its so well-hidden I haven't found it in half n hour of search .. . E.g. there is no "search for magic sites"-entry in the "Order" paragraph beginning on page 66!

magic sites
where can they be found? (Table: terrain-dependence)
how can they be found? (obvious = level 0, map icons on random map, sitesearch command, spells)
what they do - automatically or 'interactive':
gems
recruitables
enter for *free unit*
enter for *spell*
other properties (arena, holy fire, etc)

ceremony
November 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM
p. 44

Arralen
November 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
ceremony said:
p. 44

Ooh-key http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hmmm .. "sites" are surely not part of the "interface" ..

IMHO they deserve their own entry in the index, and maybe even in the table of contents.

Or at least the "map" should appear in the TOC.

And the sitesearch command IS missing, isn't it?

Agrajag
November 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Page 26 "choose do so" should probably be "choose to do so". (I don't think this was reported, I searched the forum for it and came up with no results)

ceremony
November 5th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Arralen said:
IMHO they deserve their own entry in the index, and maybe even in the table of contents.

Actually, they do have their own entry in the index. See p. 291.

Search for magic sites order is missing, yes.

Endoperez
November 8th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Trample description on pg 57 doesn't mention that Trample causes fatigue. On trample discussion, it was also mentioned that size difference affects the amount of trampling a unit is capable of, so that e.g. Great Mother with same APs as a minotaur trammples twice as many squares of size 2 creatures.

Endoperez
November 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Natural protection/armor protection stacking isn't mentioned on page 55, the only page index has for "Protection".

ceremony
November 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the help locating typos and errors. I have submitted a list of fixes to Shrapnel which will be incorporated in the second printing of the manual. Also, I have made a one-page National Globals list of the three missing spells. You can find it on the downloads page (http://shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/6.htm).

olaf73
November 26th, 2006, 08:22 PM
ceremony said:
Thanks to everyone for all the help locating typos and errors. I have submitted a list of fixes to Shrapnel which will be incorporated in the second printing of the manual. Also, I have made a one-page National Globals list of the three missing spells. You can find it on the downloads page (http://shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/6.htm).

So is the second print run of the game going to contain the new, updated manual? Any idea when it would become available?

Harry_Henderson
December 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
I can't find a list of random events or any discussion of them in the manual. When I was running the tutorial I got a message referring to a challenge in the Arena, but I couldn't figure out how to send anyone there.

Endoperez
December 22nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
The arena is a spesific one. You may send any commander there, via the "Compete in Arena Deathmatch" commander order available during that single turn. You can only send one champion, and he'll compete against other nations' champions. All matches are fought to death, and the price is lots of experience and a two-handed Trident that bestows the wielder Quickness and can't be removed. The wielder Champion's Trident will be forced to take part in any future Arena matches.

Edi
December 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
p. 85, Powers per skill level table for magic paths: Lists undead leadership bonus for death magic at +20 per path level, but the actual number that units get in the game, as of patch 3.04, is +30.

Edi

CyborgMoses
February 1st, 2007, 05:22 AM
Twiceborn does, in fact, work out of combat, at least on mages dying of disease.

CyborgMoses
February 1st, 2007, 05:25 AM
Also, I can't seem to find Lanka's national summons in the manual. Am I just missing it?

Edi
February 1st, 2007, 05:44 AM
Lanka was added as a new nation in a patch, hence it was not in the manual.

Edi

CyborgMoses
February 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Ah! That makes sense, then. Thank you. Is there a listing somewhere not in the manual, then?

Endoperez
February 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
They aren't listed anywhere AFAIK.

Nick_K
February 20th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Not exactly a typo, but the description for MA Abysia (p98) is a bit of a cop-out. There have been changes to the nation since EA so something better shouldn't be too difficult. For example
"Over time the Abysians have grown further from their progenitor, Rhuax. Burning Ones no longer dwell among the abysians, but the warlocks of the Smouldercone have grown in prominence. Now the demonbred are trained as priests and mages, and a new form of cross-breed, the humanbred, joins the armies of Abysia"
Although I imagine something better than that could be done.

I think a 'gem cost' section for battlefield spells would be useful. I've been informed that gem cost is fatigue/100 rounded down for all spells, but this was not immediately obvious to me and I that explicitly stating gem costs would not cause any trouble - there's definitely space for it.

p233 Light of the northern star: The description includes a question from the writer to the devs. It reads
"All mages on the battlefield, including enemies, gain one bonus level in Astral magic. Enemies get this bonus also, correct? Yes"

That should perhaps also specify /astral/ mages. This should be obvious for experienced players, but might not be for new ones.

p237 Hell power:
Again, a question is included in the text. This time it is not answered: "The caster gains a Blood magic (or is it all paths?) bonus of 2..."

The description for Undead mastery (p242) is misleading: "The caster takes control of all undead units on the battlefield. That means all of them"
In fact it does not: the spell is 'magic resistance negates easily'. This is noted in the 'special' column as MR+, but that could easily be missed by a new player.

p264: Crusher. 'crusherknack' is not defined anywhere. I can guess what it does from the in-game description, but I think it would be better to actually state what the effect does rather than use terms like this...
Actually, I forget exactly what it does. Something like 'double damage on constructs' IIRC.

p266: Mage Bane: apparently also has a chance of instakilling magic creatures

p270: Harvest blade: In dominions 2 this weapon always hit when attacking (Att value was relevant for repels only). If this is still the case, it is not mentioned.

p277: Cat charm: I seem to recall that this has some kind of effect on seduction (not mentioned in the manual), but I could be mistaken.

p279: Sanguine dowsing rod: The description is fairly good, but it could mention the value of the blood hunt bonues (+2 to blood magic for hunting IIRC).

ceremony
February 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Nick_K said:
Not exactly a typo, but the description for MA Abysia (p98) is a bit of a cop-out. There have been changes to the nation since EA so something better shouldn't be too difficult.

The descriptions for the nations are the same as the in-game text. Since the descriptions for MA and LA Abysia are essentially the same, there was no sense in duplicating the text, and KO had not written any new text. I was not going to write the history myself as I am not the keeper of the Dominions lore.

I think a 'gem cost' section for battlefield spells would be useful. I've been informed that gem cost is fatigue/100 rounded down for all spells.

It is, and this is explicitly noted at the bottom of page 225.

p233 Light of the northern star: The description includes a question from the writer to the devs. It reads
"All mages on the battlefield, including enemies, gain one bonus level in Astral magic. Enemies get this bonus also, correct? Yes"

I think this was listed previously in this thread, because this is one of the corrections that was made to the 2nd edition of the manual.

Thanks for all the help in correcting typos, guys. A lot of them were fixed thanks to all your eagle eyes and the game should be shipping with a revised manual, now.

Nick_K
February 20th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Ah yes, hadn't noticed it on p225 before, thanks. Has the typo there been pointed out? ('fatigue' has two 'i's at the end of the sentence).

ceremony
February 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Don't know if it was pointed out, but I fixed that in the manual update.

Nick_K
February 20th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Ah, good stuff http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Edi
March 9th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Contact Couatl has been listed as Conjuration lv 6 on manual pages 147, 188 and 198.

It is Conjuration lv 7.

lch
March 9th, 2007, 10:55 AM
The Magic Path Boosting Chart on page 282 lists Staff of Elemental Mastery as only requiring 3F3W / 3A3E, while it is 4F4W / 4A4E respectively. The description on page 269 is correct.

Eye of * does not list that the wearer gets the affliction "lost an eye", same for the Hearts (Black Heart, Heart of Life) which give the Chest Wound afflictions. I strongly believe that the manual should point these out, because most of the overwhelmingly good effects that they have (Eye of Aiming / Heart of Life) is used to neutralize the afflictions that they cause.

Actuarian
April 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
This isn't precisely a manual typo, but it is a Illwinter documentation error. I think it belongs here.

On the hotkey description download available on this site, the description for the hotkey "END" is "zoom x 1/2 scale". It should be something like "goto currently selected province". I can't remember if the "END" hotkey zooms or not, but it's not really important anyway.

MaxWilson
April 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Endoperez said:
All matches are fought to death, and the price is lots of experience and a two-handed Trident that bestows the wielder Quickness and can't be removed. The wielder Champion's Trident will be forced to take part in any future Arena matches.

If the champion is an Immortal unit, you can get rid of the trident by dying. This also prevents you from having to fight in the next Arena match, but of course you still keep the experience.

-Max

MaxWilson
April 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Jade Mask is listed as a Conj-6 path booster on pg. 283, but it is correctly listed as a unique on pg. 276.

-Max

MaxWilson
May 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Pg. 101 of manual, LA Agartha has weakness: "No units with strategic move of 2." Not correct. Cave Captains, Light Infantry, Sappers, Scouts, Attendant of the Dead, and all crossbowmen have mapmove 2.

-Max

lch
May 6th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Page 186, Page 195, Page 200: The Siddhas have mapmove 10, not 2.

Page 282: Staffs of Elemental Mastery is listed as taking 2x3 magic, but it's 2x4.
Blood Stone is listed as giving +1 Blood magic, it gives +1 Earth.

vfb
May 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM
This isn't so much a typo, it's more a case of some clarification needed.

On page 69 under Break Siege it says, "Units which retreat are eliminated instead of being able to return to the fortress." What it doesn't say is that units breaking siege can retreat into a neighboring friendly province and thereby survive the failed break siege attempt.

MaxWilson
July 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
On the game options -> set victory conditions screen, cumulative victory points says: "Victory points are accumulated each summer. This unsually results in games with a more predictable length." Should be "usually."

-Max

Caduceus
August 9th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Simple typos, may have been noted already.

Page 137
Paragraph 4 - no end parenthesis in first sentence.
Paragraph 5 - Line sixteen
Should read - "Right after that, you're going to get slaughtered..."

Morkilus
August 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Is there going to be a reprint or something? Dominions 3 Collector's Edition with miniature Amulet of Regeneration, cloth map of Aran, and coupon for a plush Doom Horror?

Tichy
August 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
"Oooh, He's cute! What do you call him?"
"Slave to Unreason."
"..."

llamabeast
August 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Wow, if the Collector's Edition came with a regen or reinvig item, I'd buy it like a shot! Actually most of the magic items would be pretty cool. I wouldn't like to get horror marked though.

I hope market research people are reading this and taking note.

Edi
August 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Now that the manual has come up for discussion, here's how you get a replacement if your manual has been destroyed, worn out or lost:

Contact Shrapnel technical support with the issue. They will see to it, but they must be able to verify your original purchase of the game. You will also have to pay a fee for the replacement to cover production costs.

Caduceus
August 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Typo:

[REMOVED, POSTER IS AN IDIOT]

Endoperez
August 20th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Caduceus said:
Typo:

Gift of Health
page 149 - Listed as Ench 5, should be Ench 6
page 219 - same mistake

It's 5 for me. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with some mod, like Conceptual Balance?

Caduceus
August 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I guess I am. Dang it.

lch
October 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Bringing this thread back from the grave...

ceremony said:
Thanks for all the help in correcting typos, guys. A lot of them were fixed thanks to all your eagle eyes and the game should be shipping with a revised manual, now.

So, all these things have been fixed and the game now ships with a revised manual? Are the new nations in there, too?

Otherwise the Stardocks crowd could help in hunting manual errors, too... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Shuma
October 29th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I would seriously buy a Plush Doom Horror.

Edi
June 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Call God command requires 50 holy points for successful recall, not 40 as the manual says.