PDA

View Full Version : ATF: LOS difficulty

El_Pistolero
February 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Often I run into the trouble of vehicles driving across relatively flat terrain yet unable to see other vehicles. Does the LOS calculation take into account the height of the vehicle, or the height of a person? Sometimes I feel as if I have to be on top of the other unit (500m) before I can see them, even on relatively flat terrain. If the calculation height were too low, such as ground level, that would make it difficult to see.

Gary Bezant
February 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM
The simulation takes into account the size of the target, whether it is moving or staionary, visability, whether it is in defilade, target value, threat value and the ground the target is occupying..

Patrick Proctor
February 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
It actually also takes into account the height of the vehicle doing the looking.

You can get a good idea what you will be able to see using the "LOS" tool. Just right-click on the unit and select "LOS". Sometimes terrain is not nearly as flat as it looks. Small, 5 meter ridges in the terrain may not show up on the map, but they are there, and will hide a vehicle (spoken from hard experience at the NTC).