PDA

View Full Version : Blood Bath - EA Glory of Gods [Running]

Hellboy
March 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM
This game will be played on an edited version of the Glory of God (multiplayer) map. The only editing I have done is to make the two separate ocean region connected by two connections and the edited map is attached.

I am looking for 12 players (including two water nations), which puts this at nearly 23 provinces per player. If there is hue and cry enough, I could see going up to 14 players, but I'm looking for a spacious map which is disadvantageous to rushers. I am also looking for a long, epic game with big armies and big magic in the end game, so please don't join up unless you're ready to commit to a six month game.

I want this to be a relatively quick paced game, especially in the early turns. If at all possible, I would like to see this start out w/ a 1-2hr blitz on Saturday or Sunday, maybe starting at 8 or 9am PDT (GMT-7), which should leave us in a reasonable time frame all the way through European time zones. Ideally, I'd like to see us stay at 1 turn/day pace up to turn 40+, but changing over will be a matter of consensus (with some bias in favor of those that want to slow down).

Settings:
Game Type: TCP/IP
IP: 24.17.189.161
Port: 8982
Hall of Fame: 15
Magic Site Frequency: 50
Renaming: on
Graphs: off
Others are standard

Hosting Schedule:
26hr QH, moving to 50hr QH later

Victory Conditions:
60% of provinces (165 provinces) or consent of surviving players

Mods:
Worthy Heroes

Contacting Host:
kirkpp at yahoo dot com

Nation Selection:
First come, first serve by posting on this thread. Once you have posted, you must email or PM your email address and player password. Once I have received your email I will send you the ip/port for the game. This is not optional. As I have seen players disappear in the past, I will insist on being able to replace players going forward in the future.

Replacements/Extensions:
Players who wish to surrender (resign) should simply let me know so we can find a replacement or turn the nation to computer controlled. If you are having any kind of availability/motivation issues, please contact me - communication is always helpful! I will generally allow extensions, once contacted, although I would prefer to avoid any long extension in the early phases of the game (if you're going on vacation next week - this is not the game for you!).
If you will be unavailable for longer than a few days please let me know. Failing to do your turn twice in a row without letting me know will get you put on AI. If I think you are missing too many turns (e.g. 3 out of the last 6) I will put you on AI.

Players:
1. Agartha - cupido2
2. Caelum - LoloMo
3. C'tis - BigDisAwesome
4. Helheim - quantum_mechani
5. Lanka - Evilhomer
6. Marverni - JayThomas
7. Mictlan - Hellboy
8. Niefelheim - Meglobob
9. Oceania - GameExtremist
10. R'lyeh - Foodstamp
11. Ulm - Sandman
12. Yomi - Digress

Links:
Worthy Heroes 1.6 (http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=470523)

GameExtremist
March 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM
I'd like to play http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Evilhomer
March 21st, 2007, 04:05 PM
I'm in as lanka

JayThomas
March 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'll try marverni again.

tromper
March 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM
I'd go for this, but it's not random nations. Have fun and I'll enjoy the AARs.

quantum_mechani
March 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM
I'll take Helhiem.

Hellboy
March 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
GameExtremist said:
I'd like to play http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Great! I need a nation choice from you.

Sandman
March 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Can I take Ulm?

Reverend Zombie
March 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM
must...resist...joining new game...already...overcommitted...

cupido2
March 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Might I join? With Agartha? (I couldn't resist... this game will be my end...)

BigDisAwesome
March 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM
I'd love to join as c'tis, i got rushed by mictlan and helheim in the other EA game where i got assigned them too quick to even play.

Foodstamp
March 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM
If there is still room, I would like to play as rlyeh.

(edited to change vanheim to rlyeh)

Peregrine42
March 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM
I'll take Caelum unless I can convince Foodstamp to undo his edit http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

edited:
Nevermind. I've convinced myself to stick with Caelum.

Shovah32
March 21st, 2007, 10:32 PM
I would like niefelheim please.

Digress
March 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Could I have a crack as Yomi ?

Hellboy
March 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
OK, looks like we have our 12 players, BUT, we need two water nations, and so far we just have one. GameExtremist, since I have no nation choice from you yet, I'm assuming you're willing to take a water nation, but I need to hear from you with a nation pick.

Everyone get your emails to me, I've got 4 so far, if everyone gets those in, we could be starting by tomorrow!

GameExtremist
March 22nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Sure thing...I'll take either Oceania or Atlantis.

Never played a water nation before, so give me a few hours to think about it and I'll send that confirmation email and give my final choice.

I'm actually looking forward to playing a water nation for a change http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Digress
March 22nd, 2007, 03:41 AM
I feel a bit of a goose.

Somehow didn't see your Sat/Sun blitz plan http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif. In my part of the world that may prove problematic, timezone-wise - so I will have to bow out.

My apologies. I hope you all have fun.

GameExtremist
March 22nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Give me Oceania, and I like Digress and from downunder, so that means if a sunday blitz is planned, I'll have to bow out, saturday I might be able to do.

Hellboy
March 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Digress said:
I feel a bit of a goose.

Somehow didn't see your Sat/Sun blitz plan http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif. In my part of the world that may prove problematic, timezone-wise - so I will have to bow out.

My apologies. I hope you all have fun.

The Sat/Sun blitz plan was desireable, but not a requirement. I rather like having a global set of players, and would prefer to lose the ability to blitz, than to lose a player.

So, would you care to stay in?

Hellboy
March 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
So to get this show on the road I need to verify that Digress is (or is not) still with us as Yomi,

AND, I need email/PMs from:

quantum_mechani
Evilhomer
Shovah32
Foostamp
Sandman
Digress?

Shovah32
March 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Gona have to drop out here-sorry.

Meglobob
March 22nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hi Hellboy, can I replace Shovah32 and play Nielfelheim?

Hellboy
March 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Meglobob said:

Certainly! Just email or pm your email address + player pword, and we'll be all set.

Assuming Digress is still with us, we're back at 12 players now. I got a couple more emails in but we're still short, so if you haven't gotten that to me, please do so!

Foodstamp
March 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
I apologize, I did not see the part about the email. I have not designed my pretender yet, once I do I will PM or email you my email address and user PW.

Meglobob
March 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hellboy said:

Meglobob said:

Certainly! Just email or pm your email address + player pword, and we'll be all set.

Thanks, I have emailed you my password/email address.

Hellboy
March 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Foodstamp said:
I apologize, I did not see the part about the email. I have not designed my pretender yet, once I do I will PM or email you my email address and user PW.

No worries. But just so you know, you can actually send your email before you design your pretender. All I need to know is the user PW you are intending to use.

As soon as I hear from Digress, and I'm 100% sure about the nations in play, I'll start up the game. Then, once you've received your email from me you'll be able to upload your pretender any time.

Foodstamp
March 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Email sent!

Hellboy
March 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
OK, now we're just waiting on

Digress - confirmation & email
quantum_mechani - email

If I haven't got emails in 24hrs from the time of this post, I'll look for replacements.

Hellboy
March 22nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
Digress is on board and I'm just waiting on the email from quantum_mechani now.

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 02:56 AM
I've got everyone's emails, and I've now set up the server. I'll be sending out all the emails in the next hour, so you should be able to log in and upload your pretenders.

Please DO NOT hit the "start game" choice!

I'll do that once everyone has uploaded.

Edit:
All the emails have been sent, let me know if you have any problems.

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 05:49 AM
I cannot log into the server. I can log into the middle way game fine, but not this one, I will try it again tomorrow.

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
Anyone else having difficulty getting in? I see at least some of the pretenders have been uploaded.

JayThomas
March 23rd, 2007, 07:34 AM
Marverni uploaded ok.

GameExtremist
March 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Oceania uploaded ok http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Still having issues connecting to this server. I have downloaded the attached file and I have the lastest version of Worthy Heroes installed http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Here is what I have done so far...

I downloaded the attached map file and placed it in the map directory of Dominions 3.

I have Worthy Heroes installed already because of the Middle Way game.

I type in the correct IP and port you gave in the email.

It tells me I cannot connect to the server.

I can can change the port to the Middle Way game and it connects fine.

What a great mystery!

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Here's the paramaters that I'm using under Windows

"-C --ipadr 24.17.189.161 --port 1025 --nocredits --nonationsel"

Does this match IP and port with what you're using?

Edit:
Foodstamp, I would also set up an entirely new shortcut (or the equivalent if you're on Linux or Mac) and try again. It sounds like you're editing the Middle Way game to see if you can get at Blood Bath, so maybe there's some weirdness there.

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/uploads/506710-dom3%202007-03-23%2009-56-36-49.jpg

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
BTW, here is the command line I am using...

"C:\Program Files\dominions3\dom3.exe" -C --ipadr 24.17.189.161 --port 1025 --nocredits --nonationsel

I have tried it without the --nonationsel, I have tried doing it manually by starting dom 3, choosing network game and putting in the IP and port. I have tried connecting with worthy heroes mod on, off. I have tested the map file in a single player game to make sure it loaded correctly. I have checked my router to make sure some weird bug had not reset my ability to connect to online games. This is absolutely baffling.

I am going to try to redownload the map file, maybe it is corrupted in some weird way and that is causing the error. The only other thing I can think of is some weird problem connecting to that particular port with my computer setup.

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Foodstamp said:
I am going to try to redownload the map file, maybe it is corrupted in some weird way and that is causing the error.

It seems unlikely to be related to the map file, I think you'd get other different kind of error messages. You actually don't need the map file at all, it'll take it off the server no matter what you have locally, I only attached it so people could see the changes I made.

The only other thing I can think of is some weird problem connecting to that particular port with my computer setup.

This seems more likely. It certainly is possible that 1025 (and maybe most all ports) are blocked by firewall software. Is The Middle Way the only other TCP/IP game you're participating in? If you can give me a port # (other than 1024) that you know is working for some other game, I can setup a test on that other port.

Other than that I would suggest looking for Windows Firewall software settings (or anyother software, includind your router), that may have blocked outbound TCP/IP connections coming from Dom3.

Iirc, when the first time I ran Dom3 on a TCP/IP game Windows firewall asked me if I wanted it to allow it to make a connection. It's possible that that might be allowed only on a single port.

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Currently I am only in the Middle Way game. I just finished another MP game with no problems.

I took one of your suggestions anyway though and went to Gandalf's page where he hosts random games. I was able to connect to one of his games using port 8982 without any complications. It took me straight to the upload pretender screen.

BigDisAwesome
March 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Hopefully you get it working soon, but in the mean time you just taught me a little more about command lines.
I used to always type in the ip and port manually, and now I can just make a shortcut for each game I'm in. That is basically awesome.

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
HAHA, well I am glad someone is benefiting from my misfortune 3 scale! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Foodstamp said:
I took one of your suggestions anyway though and went to Gandalf's page where he hosts random games. I was able to connect to one of his games using port 8982 without any complications. It took me straight to the upload pretender screen.

OK, so I set up a test game on port 8982, try the following IP and Port and see if you can upload:

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
No luck. Maybe our versions of the game are incompatible? I am running 3.06.

It doesn't make any sense to me that I can connect to The Middle Way with no problem, even after your IP change. I can connect to other hosted games that have not started. Yet I cannot connect to a brand new game that you are hosting.

I am at a loss. If I cannot figure it out by the time everyone is ready to go, I will bow out and you can find a replacement for me http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty much at a loss, as well. One more thing I think you should look at (if you haven't already). In the control panel, look at "Windows Firewall". If it is turned on, then go to the exception tab, and see if under the list of "Programs and Services" there is a dom3 checkbox. If it is there, make sure it is checked. I doubt this will solve the problem, but it's worth looking at.

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Oh, 2 more things to do before giving up:

1) Turn off Windows firewall altogether (and no, I don't mean permanently - that would likely be a bad idea, unless you're quite confident you're protected through your router).

2) Reboot your computer (preferably a cold boot - i.e. by powering the computer all the way down). Never, ever give up on debugging a PC problem without going through a reboot! (or 2 or 3 reboots!)

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Don't know if we'll get any answers, but I just posted a new thread on the main forum describing the problem we're having here.

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
OK, sadly, at this point I'm going to have to open this back up to recruit a replacement for Foodstamp.

Foodstamp, if you figure this out before we get a replacement, that'd be great, but otherwise we need to get this game started (and everyone else is uploaded, at this point).

To the potential replacement, we need a 2d water nation, and Oceania is already taken, so that leaves Atlantis and R'lyeh.

- Hellboy

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
whatever you did it worked! trying the real game now

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
I got my hopes up too soon. I can connect to the test game you created on the other port, but not the real game. Is there any way you can do whatever you did to get that game to work to the one on 1025?

If not, go ahead and replace me, and thanks for all the effort of trying to get me into this game.

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Foodstamp said:
I got my hopes up too soon. I can connect to the test game you created on the other port, but not the real game. Is there any way you can do whatever you did to get that game to work to the one on 1025?

If not, go ahead and replace me, and thanks for all the effort of trying to get me into this game.

I suspect that there is something on your end blocking 1025 (and maybe other ports, as well).

Anyhow, I've moved the real game to 8982, hope you're still online, cause I'd like you to try again.

Foodstamp
March 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Victory!

Pretender uploaded http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Hellboy
March 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
OK, we're up and running, however everyone note that the port is changed. We are now on:

Good luck everyone!

Meglobob
March 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Errm...just 2 provinces adjacent to my capital, resources are going to be scarce...never had that in a MP before...always had at least 4 adjacent provinces.

Hellboy
March 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Just waiting on Caelum/Peregrine42 to host our first turn!

Peregrine42
March 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Oops. Just saw that this has started - I'll get my turn in now.

Hellboy
March 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
And we're off! 1st turn is up.

Foodstamp
March 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Well, for the first time ever I have been hit with the scale bug! Even so, I am fairly confident I can overcome this disadvantage and get off to a decent start. Especially since I lucked out and recruited a national hero on this turn!

Is there anything else I should know about the bug beyond my scales being out of wack. Are there any longterm effects or issues with dominion spread that stem from the bug?

Meglobob
March 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Foodstamp said:Is there anything else I should know about the bug beyond my scales being out of wack. Are there any longterm effects or issues with dominion spread that stem from the bug?

My experience of it in Middle-Way is that there are no longterm effects other than you losing your scales for a period of time. Once it hits, your scales return to normal according to your dominion, so if you have a high dominion 9 or 10 3 turns or so. If low 10+ turns.

Foodstamp
March 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM
That doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks for the info!

Hellboy
March 30th, 2007, 01:14 PM
We now need a sub for Caelum as Peregrine42 is pulling out of the game. As I understand it, the position is in fine shape, and we are just turn 9, so there should be plenty of very enjoyable game play ahead.

Anyone up for playing EA Caelum on a large map?

- Hellboy

Hellboy
March 31st, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm going to reset the clock another 26 hrs, so that we can take some more time to find a Caelum sub. Peregrine42, I'd appreciate it if you did not take your turn, I'm hoping to find a sub before we host turn 10.

LoloMo
March 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Hi, I would like to sub for Caelum

Hellboy
April 1st, 2007, 12:41 AM
LoloMo said:
Hi, I would like to sub for Caelum

Excellent - you're in! I'll PM you shortly w/ instructions, but you might also want to PM Peregrine42 to see if he can give you any sort of inside information.

LoloMo
April 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM
Hail all nations. For the Glory of Gods, the nation of Caelum would like to announce that it is now under new management!

Sandman
April 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Three months ago, Lanka decided to make war on Ulm. Three great armies of demons and apes were dispatched to invade the lands of Ulm. Two of those armies have now ceased to exist.

The sly words of Mictlan will bring only hardship to those who heed them. But Lanka has learned this too late.

Hellboy
April 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Sandman said:
Three months ago, Lanka decided to make war on Ulm. Three great armies of demons and apes were dispatched to invade the lands of Ulm. Two of those armies have now ceased to exist.

The sly words of Mictlan will bring only hardship to those who heed them. But Lanka has learned this too late.

Curious, we did not know that Lanka was a neighbor of Ulm. Thank you for the information!

- Mictlan

BigDisAwesome
April 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Is there any possible way we could take a small break for the weekend? I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow and i'll be back monday morning.

I can do my turn tomorrow before i leave, but i can't do another one until when i get back monday. and i'm fairly certain i'm gonna be getting attacked by 2 nations in the next turn or two, so it'd pretty much royally screw me.

please?

Hellboy
April 14th, 2007, 12:10 AM
BigDisAwesome said:
Is there any possible way we could take a small break for the weekend? I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow and i'll be back monday morning.

I can do my turn tomorrow before i leave, but i can't do another one until when i get back monday. and i'm fairly certain i'm gonna be getting attacked by 2 nations in the next turn or two, so it'd pretty much royally screw me.

please?

Sure, should not be a problem. I'm leaving the game on it's current cycle, but I'll make sure it doesn't host without you. It's likely to host before you leave tomorrow, so if you do get in another turn, that'd be great.

cupido2
April 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Yes, we like that, BigDisAwesome... First attacking peaceful neighbours and when the attack fails running out of town. I think we won't see him again, he will be hiding in a swamp until the war is over.

BigDisAwesome
April 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM
haha, nah i got last minute tickets to see the reds play the cubs in chicago. i'm a reds fan and i live in ohio so...its pretty cool.

Hellboy
April 16th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Reset the server to 26hr QH, to give BigDisAwesome a chance to get his turn in.

BigDisAwesome
April 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
kk i just got home and gonna slam my turn out now. thanks again for holding it.

Sandman
April 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Even in its death throes, Lanka sent another wave of demons and apes into the Ulmic lands. As before, they were hurled back by its stout defenders, though at great cost.

Meglobob
April 17th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Request:- Any chance from turn 31 onwards moving to 50 hr turn QH?

I find 1/turn per day tiresome beyond turn 30'ish. Also the weather is absolutely fantastic at the moment where I live and promises to be a lovely sunny spring/summer so I would like more free time to enjoy it!

Hellboy
April 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Meglobob said:
Request:- Any chance from turn 31 onwards moving to 50 hr turn QH?

I find 1/turn per day tiresome beyond turn 30'ish. Also the weather is absolutely fantastic at the moment where I live and promises to be a lovely sunny spring/summer so I would like more free time to enjoy it!

As I recently took a job, I am quite inclined to agree. Also, I had the intent to move to 50hr QH about this time anyhow, so unless there is a great hue and cry against this change, I will reset the server tonight.

JayThomas
April 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
That's agreeable with me.

Sandman
April 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Lanka was logged on earlier today, but still hasn't taken his turn. What's going on?

Hellboy
April 18th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Server reset to 50hr QH

JayThomas
April 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I'll be on buisness travel from Apr 23 to Apr 26. I don't know if I'll have internet access during this time.

Can the game be put on hold during this time? If the delay is to long, a substitute is acceptable.

Thanks

Hellboy
April 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
JayThomas said:
I'll be on buisness travel from Apr 23 to Apr 26. I don't know if I'll have internet access during this time.

Can the game be put on hold during this time? If the delay is to long, a substitute is acceptable.

Thanks

We can put it on hold during this time. Any efforts you can make to make sure you have a turn in just before you go, and perhaps getting in a turn during your trip will be appreciated, though. Nonetheless, I'll make sure you don't stale.

JayThomas
April 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks Hellboy. I'll be doing turns over the weekend and I'll try to get a turn in AM on Monday before leaving.

Hellboy
April 25th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Reset server to allow Jay Thomas some extra time.

JayThomas
April 25th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm in Iowa, USA. I was able to get an internet connection but I can't connect to any of the game servers. Probably some firewall setting on my work computer which I won't mess with.

Anyway, I'll be home tomorrow evenning to continue my turns.

Hellboy
April 28th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Well, Helheim has had up both Forge of the Ancients and Well of Misery up for a while now - does anyone care?

I guess I would've expected a neighbor of Helheim's to initiate some coordinated effort to dispel these (especially the FoTA) - does Helheim have no hostile neighbors?

I have also seen on the Dom3 boards a number of people (including quantum_mechani) who believe that no diplomacy or little diplomacy makes for a higher quality game. I am certainly not of that opinion, but is our game made up of players who consider diplomacy a bad thing?

One thing I will say is that I know that Helheim controls a large (huge maybe?) area, and that they've had FoTA up for a while, and WoM up, and afaict, both of these are unopposed. Based on these facts I would say that without diplomacy, Helheim's victory is a fait accompli.

Now in saying all the above, I should mention that I am having a great time playing in this game in my corner of the world. Also, I have no ill will vs. q_m (the player), he appears to have done an outstanding job of accumulating power in the early/mid game.

quantum_mechani
April 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I can understand why having two globals might worry people, but just because I'm slightly ahead of the game in that one area doesn't mean a lot of other people won't be soon throwing up their globals too.

I should also point out that as far as worrying about a nation being on the fast track to winning, that Helhiem is not one of the nations already bloated on huge areas of conquests (Mictlan, Niefelhiem, or Ulm). The case of Mictlan is particularly worrying given how huge they can - invisibly - grow their blood economy. They even have access to probably the most efficient blood outlet in the game, in the form of super-blessed jaguar fiends.

Hellboy
April 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
quantum_mechani said:jaguar fiends.

Jaquar fiends? What do you mean, "jaquar fiends"? Oh, you're probably talking about our cats that fly: we call them "Dandelion Cats". Honestly, in Mictlan our children raise them for pets. No threat to anyone. Really. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Meglobob
April 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hellboy said:
Well, Helheim has had up both Forge of the Ancients and Well of Misery up for a while now - does anyone care?

Niefelheim has been extremly concerned about the huge, massive power Helheim has for some time now.

Hellboy said:I guess I would've expected a neighbor of Helheim's to initiate some coordinated effort to dispel these (especially the FoTA) - does Helheim have no hostile neighbors?

No because we are all completely terrified of him and don't want to be the first one splatted! Also we are waiting for someone to organise such an alliance!

quantum_mechani said:I can understand why having two globals might worry people, but just because I'm slightly ahead of the game in that one area doesn't mean a lot of other people won't be soon throwing up their globals too.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gifAnyone with half a brain should realise this is utter, utter rubbish. Here is the full awful truth of Helheim's strategy.

Research construction, get forge of ancients, continue to research construction, get all the unique artifacts, trying to get the chalice in particular. Then research conjuration all the way to Tartarians (now you know why he wanted the chalice), casting well of misery and summoning all the limited number of water/air queens and earth/fire kings etc.... Obviously by now Helheim will have a huge number of SC's and shortly roll over everyone in his path.

Game over.

quantum_mechani
April 28th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Meglobob said:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gifAnyone with half a brain should realise this is utter, utter rubbish. Here is the full awful truth of Helheim's strategy.

Research construction, get forge of ancients, continue to research construction, get all the unique artifacts, trying to get the chalice in particular. Then research conjuration all the way to Tartarians (now you know why he wanted the chalice), casting well of misery and summoning all the limited number of water/air queens and earth/fire kings etc.... Obviously by now Helheim will have a huge number of SC's and shortly roll over everyone in his path.

Game over.

Trying to roll over everyone with SCs would actually be a pretty poor plan, they are always nice supplements to forces, but there are too many counters.

I should also note I'm more than willing to share the bounty of FotA, just let me know what kind of items you are interested in and anyone could be getting great discounts too.

Lastly, I think Niefelhiem has more than little bit of ulterior motive in trying to redirect the ganging... some scouts in their lands quickly shows a territory that is both vast and almost unassailable in the in the foreseeable future.

Meglobob
April 28th, 2007, 04:42 PM
quantum_mechani said:Lastly, I think Niefelhiem has more than little bit of ulterior motive in trying to redirect the ganging... some scouts in their lands quickly shows a territory that is both vast and almost unassailable in the in the foreseeable future.

Okay then my god is willing to swap nations with you, you come north to rule Niefelheim and I will come south to rule Helheim, what do you say? Deal?

Interesting, that you accuse Niefelheim, Mictlan and even Ulm of the same thing having vast lands...also you mention ganging up...this is Helheim's only weakness, if every nation turns against him and jointly attacks him then we all have a chance. No alliance equals no chance.

GameExtremist
April 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Helheil has a Tartarian spirit and sure using a few SC's to roll ppl over is a poor plan...but an army of SC's is very scary when you have none of your own.

quantum_mechani
April 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Meglobob said:

Okay then my god is willing to swap nations with you, you come north to rule Niefelheim and I will come south to rule Helheim, what do you say? Deal?

An interesting idea, but the amount of time to figure out what was going on with a nation this far along, and then come up with plans for it, is scary.

Interesting, that you accuse Niefelheim, Mictlan and even Ulm of the same thing having vast lands...also you mention ganging up...this is Helheim's only weakness, if every nation turns against him and jointly attacks him then we all have a chance. No alliance equals no chance.

I freely admit my nation is one of the more powerful in the game at the moment, but I think it's being put above other threats simply because globals are so visible. In a game without graphs, casting globals is really sticking your neck out, it's one of the only easy ways you can tell when someone is doing well. But just because other (possibly more prudent) nations haven't cast them doesn't mean they are not also doing extremely well.

BigDisAwesome
April 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Anyone care to let me in on why both nations I have NAP's with both informed me they're letting them expire within the last 2 turns? I have been a good neighbor with both Ulm and Niefelheim.
I hope Agartha hasn't been sweet talking both of you into fighting his war.

On a side note, I didn't get a NAP with Agartha cause then I'd have them with all my neighbors except Ry'leh, and getting in the water is a pain. And in my opinion you can't just have NAP with every single neighbor of yours.

Hellboy
April 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
quantum_mechani said:
I freely admit my nation is one of the more powerful in the game at the moment, but I think it's being put above other threats simply because globals are so visible. In a game without graphs, casting globals is really sticking your neck out, it's one of the only easy ways you can tell when someone is doing well. But just because other (possibly more prudent) nations haven't cast them doesn't mean they are not also doing extremely well.

We of Mictlan assess Helheim as the most powerful nation in the world, and we do not make this assessment by global spells alone. For one, we look at research. With Conjuration 9 (based on reports of Helheim having Tartarians) and Construction 8+ it seems clear that Helheim's research is well beyond that of other nations. In addition, based on our scouting (which is admittedly incomplete), Helheim is much larger than Mictlan, at least. From what we have seen Ulm is rather large, but it appears that Ulm's territory is less secure, being surrounded on all sides.

In short, we encourage all nations to recognize Helheim for the threat that it is. The globals are dangerous in and of themselves, but there is plenty of evidence that these globals are only the beginning of the threat that is Helheim. It is also worth mentioning that globals are easily brought down when multiple nations distribute the cost.

Hellboy
April 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM
BTW, Digress set Yomi to AI last turn, if you're still reading Digress, thanks for a good fight! With no fortresses left and only 4 provinces, you certainly took the fight to a reasonable end, thanks for sticking it out!

And now, in character: Having killed the Yomi pretender, the nation of Mictlan now lays claim to all remaining Mictlan territories - let none dispute this claim!

Digress
April 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I should have attacked you all out after I repulsed your first couple of raids ... instead I decided to go after independent provinces and research and as a result got minced by various combinations of Mictlan sacreds.

Sorry I forgot to announce I was setting Yomi to AI to everyone.

GameExtremist
April 30th, 2007, 04:21 AM
The Great nation of Oceania declares war on Mictlan, no longer shall its slaves blood sully our clear blue waters bringing death and decay so that not even the lowliest anenome or urchin will dwell in Mictlans shadow.

WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

*sounds of waves crashing ectcetera ectcetera*

Hellboy
May 1st, 2007, 02:34 AM
GameExtremist said: no longer shall its slaves blood sully our clear blue waters ...

Instead our jaguar warriors will slay the turtle warrior until the ocean itself runs red with their blood. This suits us.

Hellboy
May 1st, 2007, 02:34 AM
Reset server to 50hr qh. Sorry, but I'm in my first 'month close' on my first accounting job, I'm afraid the next 3 days are gonna be ugly http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

I think I'll be able to get my turn in tuomrrow night, but I can't promise.

BigDisAwesome
May 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM
Ouch, I suppose now would be a good time to thank you for hosting. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

BigDisAwesome
May 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
So should we all patch now?

Meglobob
May 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
BigDisAwesome said:
So should we all patch now?

Wait for Hellboy to patch.

Meglobob
May 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Turin said:
A warning:
3.08 pretty much broke the mod, because suddenly the itemslot numbers I used are incorrect and now pretty much every hero has two heads. In addition some old age issue showed up, but a fix is on the way.

From the worthy heros mod creator. Just pointing it out as we are using the mod!

Personally, I have nothing against heros with 2 heads... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Hellboy
May 4th, 2007, 09:25 PM
BigDisAwesome said:
Ouch, I suppose now would be a good time to thank you for hosting. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Your welcome!

Yes, as Meglobob points out, no one should patch before I upgrade the server. Also, it looks like we'll need to wait until Turin provides a fix for the Worthy Heroes mod before I can upgrade the server.

LoloMo
May 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM
oops sorry, I think I crashed the server, sorry again!

Hellboy
May 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Server is back up, Lolomo, you'll need to resubmit your turn under 3.06

Hellboy
May 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Somebody killed the server again http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Everyone, you MUST do your turns under 3.06!!! If you have installed the upgrade, you will need to uninstall and reinstall, and upgrade to 3.06 all over again.

You can play different versions of Dom3, all you need to do is keep a copy of the Dom3 3.06 version around before you upgrade to 3.08

JayThomas
May 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Oh crap, I think that was me. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

Hellboy
May 5th, 2007, 10:28 PM
OK, server is back up now.

I removed everyone's turn file (.2h file), as there was some funkiness that I just couldn't trust. Everyone who had previously uploaded will need to reupload from scratch (sorry!).

Also, I disconnected a couple of people while I was working on the server, so you'll need to reupload as well.

BigDisAwesome
May 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Is the server down or am I locking up every time I try to connect?

Meglobob
May 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM
BigDisAwesome said:

Servers down.

Hellboy
May 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
BigDisAwesome said:

We keep having players submit turns from the 3.08 version, and that is knocking the server down. This time I'm going to try to figure out which is the offending .2h.

Meglobob has suggested going to 3.08, which is not an outlandish idea, but I'm reluctant to do that based on Turin's description of the problems. In my experience, when code has some problems that are readily apparent, there are often collateral problems that are less apparent.

It sounds like Turin is intending to get a fix out soon, and it really isn't that hard to have 2 versions of Dom3 running. Your post (here (http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=518553&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)) has made it quite clear how to do that.

Hellboy
May 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Server is back up. Please, everyone else use 3.06 to connect to this server and play in this game! I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but as BigDisAwesome's post makes clear (link (http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=518553&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)), Dom3 does support playing 2 different versions on the same machine.

Foodstamp
May 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM
This is probably the best choice. Because I imagine the game will explode if we go to 3.08, someone equips two helmets then we use the fixed version of worth heroes.

I am surprised the fix is not out yet, should take about 5 minutes to do, even for a mod that size. You just use a word doc program, find all instances of the one bitmask, and replace it with the other.

Meglobob
May 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I just noticed Helheim's forge as gone...wonder who dispelled it?

It would be nice to get a message telling you about those important events. I assume it went this turn and not last turn or whenever?

quantum_mechani
May 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
It went down last turn I think.

Hellboy
May 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
quantum_mechani said:
It went down last turn I think.

That sounds right - who do we congratulate, btw? Anyone care to take the credit?

Out of character: Any chance of everyone getting their turns in tonight? With all the restarts our last turn hosted more than 48hrs ago (I think).

quantum_mechani
May 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I can't seem to connect (with 3.06). Is it down for anyone else?

Meglobob
May 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
quantum_mechani said:
I can't seem to connect (with 3.06). Is it down for anyone else?

I just connected with no problems.

Just Agartha & Marverni to do there turns.

cupido2
May 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I made a 3.06 version of dominions but the server now says its too old... and I don't dare to reconnect with the 3.08 (I take the credit for the last crash http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif ). Tell me what to do... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/fear.gif

Hellboy
May 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
cupido2 said:
I made a 3.06 version of dominions but the server now says its too old... and I don't dare to reconnect with the 3.08 (I take the credit for the last crash http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif ). Tell me what to do... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/fear.gif

I think the safest thing to do at this point is in the following instructions. I am assuming you are on a PC w/ Windows, and I have also made some assumptions about your knowledge of Windows file management. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! And sorry about the hassle, but this is kind of file management really is necessary to support two versions of Dominions.

1) Uninstall all versions of Dominions, and delete all dominions directories. Be sure to copy the saved games directory, and any directories where you've added custom content (such as mods or maps).

2) Reinstall vanilla Dominions

3) Patch to 3.06 and install the Worthy Heroes mod.

4) Make a second copy of the entire Dominions game directory, call this Dominions directory Dom3_3.06 (or something similar).

5) Redo your turn, connect to the Blood Bath server and upload your turn. You will probably not be able to do this until I get the server back up and running, which won't happen until about 7pm or so PDT (GMT-7). I'll be up and around this evening, so if something goes wrong we can iterate until we get this right.

6) Once you've established you can connect to the Blood Bath server, set up a shortcut for the game on your desktop, and make sure that it points to the executable in the Dom3_3.06 directory.

7) You can now patch the original Dom3 directory to 3.08 and play that at will. You will just need to be careful which version you are running when you play various turns of various games.

Hellboy
May 7th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Server is back up.

Jay Thomas, you're the culprit this time - get on version 3.06, please!

cupido2, this means you're off the hook - if you thought you were running version 3.06, you probably were.

Edit:
BTW, all you need to do to make sure you're running v3.06 is check the version number in the lower left hand corner of the screen on startup.

cupido2
May 8th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Still have the same problem... version too old. I don't want to stall the game further and my position is more than lost in the game, so please set me to ai. May the hordes of C'tis have fun with my 7 provinces. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Hellboy
May 8th, 2007, 10:09 AM
cupido2, thanks for playing! I agree that it is reasonable to set Agartha to AI (and that is now done).

JT, we are just waiting on you, now!

JayThomas
May 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I've been gun shy. I'll give it another go.

Went, through... Hew

GameExtremist
May 11th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Let it be known that the nation of Ryleh can not be trusted, one moment they shall pledge support in a war, but the first moment your back is turned they wrap a tentacle around your gills.

Foodstamp
May 11th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I guess this means we will not be renegotiating our NAP with your nation. Prepare to submit one way or another kneelers.

<3
R'lyeh

GameExtremist
May 11th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Ry'leh would do well to prepare herself in the three months grace period as agreed in the original NAP, for if she intends war she will find our forces quite up to the task.

Foodstamp
May 11th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Indeed I hope your warriors fight bravely. We do not wish to gather weak slaves to our banner.

JayThomas
May 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Server down?

quantum_mechani
May 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I think I may have accidentally uploaded my turn from my 3.08 version. I was just going to re-upload but it looks like it may be too late...

Hellboy
May 11th, 2007, 10:01 PM
quantum_mechani said:
I think I may have accidentally uploaded my turn from my 3.08 version. I was just going to re-upload but it looks like it may be too late...

Yes, I do think it was you quantum_mechani. But we'll forgive you anyhow. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

The good news is that the server is back up. The bad news is that I saw some weirdness that disturbed me, so I deleted all the .2h files. This means that everyone needs to re-upload. Sorry about that!

Foodstamp
May 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
GameExtrememist, I just wanted to clarify, we can begin naval exercises in your waters starting on turn 43 correct? Meaning we can give the orders on turn 42? Some people interpret these NAPS different ways and I don't want to attack a turn too soon.

GameExtremist
May 15th, 2007, 06:56 AM
OOC - We agree to give orders on turn42? I'm okay with it:)

*cowers from the onslaught*

BigDisAwesome
May 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
So Helheim got Gift of Nature's Bounty up this turn. Now I haven't had a single bit of contact with him all game, but I'm pretty sure that's bad. So who wants to dispel it or start a collection to take it down?

BigDisAwesome
May 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Oh no one else cares? K, cool. I don't wanna play competitively either.

Hellboy
May 17th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I sympathise. I tried to started a similar discussion on Helheim's globals a while back, and there was some limited discussion, but it didn't seem to go very far.

Hellboy
May 17th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Sorry, but I'm giving myself a 26hr extension. I just got back from work an hour ago, and I have no hope of getting my turn in tonight.

Hellboy
May 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Sorry, but I've reset the server to 50hrs again. I just can't see how I'll be able to get to my turn before Sat morning.

I'm open to having my position replaced, if that'll help get this game rolling again.

Meglobob
May 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hellboy said:
Sorry, but I've reset the server to 50hrs again. I just can't see how I'll be able to get to my turn before Sat morning.

I'm open to having my position replaced, if that'll help get this game rolling again.

No rush, from my point of view, anyway.

BigDisAwesome
May 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
It's up to you. I always enjoy faster turns(apparently I have no life), but I'm not dying to push you out for them.

On a side note, return my PM Hellboy.

Hellboy
May 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
OK, I'm back. I've reset the server to 50hr qh, and I'm hoping I can stay on track this coming week, but I'm not sure about that. The turns for this game don't take so long, and I'm lengthing my deadline for my other game, so hopefully combined that'll work out better.

BigDisAwesome
May 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM
You know, there isn't a rule that EVERYONE has to attack me. Seems kinda silly for everyone to be ganging up on someone who isn't really a threat. Shouldn't we be worrying about Helheim?

Hellboy
May 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM
BigDisAwesome said:
You know, there isn't a rule that EVERYONE has to attack me. Seems kinda silly for everyone to be ganging up on someone who isn't really a threat. Shouldn't we be worrying about Helheim?

Are you sure about that? I coulda sworn I saw somewhere in the manual that in MP games it is considered obligatory for everyone having a border with C'Tis must attack C'Tis on turn 42? Did I get that wrong?

BigDisAwesome
May 20th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Oh crap. There it is on page 68. Sorry for the bother. Resume the attack!

Hellboy
May 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
Sorry, but I just put in yet another self extension. I'm pulling out of The Middle Way, which is a far bigger time sink than this game, so hopefully I can get back on steady keel on this game. If can't do that in the next few days, I'll look for a sub in this game as well.

Meglobob
May 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Worthy heros mod v1.7 by Turin is out. This means we can upgrade the game to 3.08.

Hellboy can you let us know when you upgrade the server to 3.08 with worthy heros v1.7?

Heres the link to worthy heros v1.7 :-

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=470523&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

quantum_mechani
May 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Just a notice- the nation of Helhiem is under new management, I've handed the the nation over to lch.

BigDisAwesome
May 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
WHAT!? Why would you hand over what I assume to be one of, if not the best off nation in the game?

lch
May 27th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Why shouldn't he? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif I just happened to be at the right place, at the right time.

lch
May 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Eh, I didn't expect that this server is still on 3.06 and I seem to have crashed the server. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif
Sorry for that. Will redo my turn with 3.06 when it's up again.

Meglobob
May 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Server down.

Hellboy
May 29th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Meglobob said:
Worthy heros mod v1.7 by Turin is out. This means we can upgrade the game to 3.08.

Hellboy can you let us know when you upgrade the server to 3.08 with worthy heros v1.7?

Heres the link to worthy heros v1.7 :-

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=470523&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I'm up for doing this, but has everyone noticed that in the last post of Turin's thread Edi notes that it is necessary to manually edit Turin's mod?

It shouldn't be too complex (although it is more complex than maintaining 2 versions of Dom3, and we had problems pulling that off), so I'd like to see some support for taking this step, before I move the server to 3.08. So is everyone up to manually overriding the v1.06 Worthy Heroes as Edi suggests?

lch
May 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I don't see how one has to keep the old version number. I have only kept the filename, overwriting the old mod with the new mod, and it seemed to work okay.

Hellboy
May 29th, 2007, 11:15 AM
lch said:
I don't see how one has to keep the old version number. I have only kept the filename, overwriting the old mod with the new mod, and it seemed to work okay.

Have you tested it? For example:
1. turn the mod off in preferences
2. load up a save from Blood_Bath
3. exit out from the Blood_Bath game (but not all the way out, just to the Dom3 main screen).
4. at this point, if the Worthy Heroes label is showing, then I would be convinced that the Blood Bath game found the right files.

Meglobob
May 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Hellboy, I still cannot connect to the server, is it down?

Or as the IP changed?

I did not notice Edi's comments, so I am unsure what will happen.

Sandman
May 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I can't connect either. Has it been patched?

lch
May 30th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Well, I can't connect either.

Foodstamp
May 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Cannot connect here either.

BigDisAwesome
May 31st, 2007, 11:46 AM
ditto

BigDisAwesome
June 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
So is this game over then? Will the server ever get put back up?

Meglobob
June 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM
I hope so, I was enjoying this game!

lch
June 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
In case Hellboy has technical problem, I could provide hosting until the game is finished. I only need all the game files from the savegame directory for it. I'd suggest updating to 3.08 in that case, but I could just keep it at 3.06, too.

Meglobob
June 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
lch said:
In case Hellboy has technical problem, I could provide hosting until the game is finished. I only need all the game files from the savegame directory for it. I'd suggest updating to 3.08 in that case, but I could just keep it at 3.06, too.

Its more new job problem.

Would be great to continue the game, I was looking forward to a few epic battles.

BigDisAwesome
June 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Well unless we hear from Hellboy in about a weeks time, I'm gonna assume this one is done and join another game.

BigDisAwesome
June 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
And I'm with Meglobob, I'd love for a few more epic battles before Helheim crushes us all.

lch
June 2nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
It's okay that you all give up, trembling in fear, now that I have taking over that nation... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

BigDisAwesome
June 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Haha, you netted a pretty sweet spot for the game.

Hellboy
June 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
OK, I'm back sorry about the disappearance. Mb was correct, new job got out of control - I lost Mon/Tue to endless unscheduled meetings and Sat to month close. I'm patching the server now.

- Hellboy

BigDisAwesome
June 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Are we updating worthy heroes too? If so someone throwdown a guide or link to the thread that had it.

Hellboy
June 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
BigDisAwesome said:
Are we updating worthy heroes too? If so someone throwdown a guide or link to the thread that had it.

Yes, we are updating worthy heroes to 1.7. Here's the link to the Wothy Heroes thread: link (http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=470523&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1), complete with attachment and instructions.
I am following lch's suggestion of simply renaming the mod to 1.6, although I never heard an answer if he tested it or not. So, I'll test it myself next, and write up precise instructions, once I'm sure it's working.

Meglobob
June 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hellboy said:
OK, I'm back sorry about the disappearance. Mb was correct, new job got out of control - I lost Mon/Tue to endless unscheduled meetings and Sat to month close. I'm patching the server now.

- Hellboy

Welcome back!

lch
June 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hellboy said:
I am following lch's suggestion of simply renaming the mod to 1.6, although I never heard an answer if he tested it or not. So, I'll test it myself next, and write up precise instructions, once I'm sure it's working.

Yes, just renaming the 1.7 file to the 1.6 filename is enough. But in case you already have some heroes in play you should check their slots before uploading your turn with the new version. Some slots could be shifted. Make sure that you have the gear on the correct slots (by either temporarily transferring them to the laboratory or to another commander) before you submit your turn, otherwise you'll lose your gear. Nice to hear that this game is going to continue soon.

Hellboy
June 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks, good to be back!

OK, the server is up and I tested renaming the mod, and everything seems to be up and running correctly. The server is now on v3.08, and the Worthy Heroes mod is now on v1.7.

The only trick here is that after you install the mod (as you would any mod), you must delete the heroes1_6.dm file, and you must then rename the 1.7 file to "heroes1_6.dm". This is important, and I would assume there is some chance of screwing things up, if we don't all get to the correct version here.

Hellboy
June 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the detailed instructions on re-equipping the gear, lch!

lch
June 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Oh, it won't be trouble for the server, just for the players. The server will just reject items on incorrect slots and remove them. Okay, I'll have a look at my turn again and upload it.

lch
June 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
P.S.: I will keep former treaties, but just to make sure that I'm not missing anything, I'd like my allies to remind me of the contracts that have been in place before I took over.

BigDisAwesome
June 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Helheim had a deal to pay C'tis a monthly tribute.
1,000 gold and 25 of each gem.

MUHAHHAHAHAHHHaAAA

lch
June 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Less than 2 hours left and a third of the turns are still missing! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/shock.gif
Should we really host like this?

Meglobob
June 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM
lch said:
Less than 2 hours left and a third of the turns are still missing! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/shock.gif
Should we really host like this?

My turns in, just the 2 water nations, Oceania and R'lyeh.

Would be nice to get a new turn and this game back on track.

Completely forgot where I was upto... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

lch
June 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I heard that the water nations stalled last turn, and I haven't checked closely, but this turn there weren't that many turns in some hours before hosting, too.

Would it be okay to move this game to a 72 hour timer or is that considered too much time for others?

BigDisAwesome
June 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
That's quite a long time, but then again it's no fun playing with people that are staling.
This game really lost its steam, and a little of its fun for me after such a gap in play.

Meglobob
June 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I am keen to continue, as I am trying out some new spells and a new mad strategy, I am calling it, "Bob's crazy ultimate invincible defense strategy" http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/stupid.gif Just give me another 20'ish turns or so to set it up!

I will PM any nations/players who have not done there turns 12 hrs before the next deadline in a effort to help get this game back on track.

I will ask them either to continue with the game or put there nations to AI, so those who are still keen can fight to a finish. If this is ok with everyone.

Btw who cast fires from afar on me? You wasted your gems you know, it only killed a feebleminded, diseased mage...I was glad to see the back of him... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

lch
June 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I am not sure about the stalling, it's just what I heard. Maybe everybody gets his turn on in the last five hours or something? I'm okay with the 48h timer, but if people need more time then I'm okay with that, too.

Foodstamp
June 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Crap, I didn't know this game had started back. I missed the update on the thread. I figured this game was done like the other. I will get my next turn in on time.

R'lyeh

Meglobob
June 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Servers down.

Hellboy
June 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Back up.

Foodstamp
June 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I can't get into this game anymore. Seems I am having mod conflicts. Not that it matters because I don't have time to play anymore. Just bump me to AI or find a replacement depending on what has happened the past few turns.

lch
June 9th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Foodstamp, we have updated to 3.08 and Worthy Heroes mod 1.7

If you download the new WH mod and replace your 1.6 version with it you should be fine.

Meglobob
June 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Not got time to pm all the stallers, lets just continue the game to the finish with those who can be bothered to do there turns...good plan.

Hellboy, perhaps it may be an idea to use the master password to change any players who stall 3 or more turns to AI. At least the AI won't get bored and provide some opposition and mix it up with the remaining players.

Hellboy
June 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Meglobob said:
Hellboy, perhaps it may be an idea to use the master password to change any players who stall 3 or more turns to AI. At least the AI won't get bored and provide some opposition and mix it up with the remaining players.

Sure, I can do that, but at the moment we've got < one hour to host time, and Helheim, Caelum, R'lyeh, Oceania and myself have not submitted turns. I can get my turn in in about 2 hrs, but I am wondering who is still interested in this game.

Oceania is done for, so turning them to AI is no problem. But R'lyeh, Helheim and Caelum all have substantial positions, (likely leading position for Helheim). Anyone care to comment on whether it worthwhile for this game to continue?

Meglobob
June 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hellboy said:But R'lyeh, Helheim and Caelum all have substantial positions, (likely leading position for Helheim). Anyone care to comment on whether it worthwhile for this game to continue?

Well R'lyeh=Foodstamp, he has said turn him AI.

But I would hope Ich/Helheim and Caelum/LoloMo will continue. Give them Sunday to do there turns and see how we are then?

Hellboy
June 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM
OK, sounds good to me, I'll reset the server to host tomorrow evening.

LoloMo
June 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I've finished my turn =)

lch
June 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Hmm, I was waiting on Foodstamp, hoping he'd only have temporary technical problems. I have my turn basically ready, but if he really goes AI then I guess I'll have to change a few things. Can I get a confirmation that he is setting himself to AI this turn? I'll send in my turn within 24 hours or something, sorry for the holdup.

Hellboy
June 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yes, I'll be setting R'lyeh to AI shortly.

I have a question though, for anyone out there. I'm running my client to play the game on one machine, and hosting from a separate machine. I've read in posts where game hosts have screwed themselves over by setting another player to AI w/ the master password (iirc, they were using the serving machine to set to AI). I believe I've done this before (safely) by setting them from the same client machine I'm using to play the game, but I'm not 100% sure.

Can anyone confirm for me whether its safe to set to AI from the same client machine I'm using to play my main position?

lch
June 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM
The problem is if you are using the same key to set somebody to AI with the master password, which you use to play your own turn, then the server will reject both turns and let you both stale, not executing any orders.

Hellboy
June 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
lch said:
The problem is if you are using the same key to set somebody to AI with the master password, which you use to play your own turn, then the server will reject both turns and let you both stale, not executing any orders.

So, does this mean that if I use my password for playing my Mictlan position, and the master password for setting R'lyeh to AI only, then everything should be fine?

lch
June 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
It is not about passwords, it is about game keys. If you are using the same installation of Dom3 with the same key, then you will both get a stale turn. You will have to use two different keys, that means that you have to use two copies of the game which you bought seperately. Yes, that may seem overly complicated.

Hellboy
June 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
lch said:
It is not about passwords, it is about game keys. If you are using the same installation of Dom3 with the same key, then you will both get a stale turn. You will have to use two different keys, that means that you have to use two copies of the game which you bought seperately. Yes, that may seem overly complicated.

Actually, that's impossible - no way will I pay $55 to finish off this game. It also implies that a game host requires two copies of the game, which I think is counter to the license agreement and Shrapnel/IW's intent. I know I've done this before, I just can't remember whether I did it from the server machine or client machine (although I think I did it from the client machine)

lch
June 10th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I guess the reasoning is that if more than one nation in a MP game is using the same key, then they are sharing a copy of the game, thus pirating it. If the master password would ignore that, then they could all just use the master password to play their turns. I don't really know, though.

Hellboy
June 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
R'lyeh now set to AI.

Meglobob
June 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Just Helheim to do his turn now.

Come on Ich, just move your tartarians and other assorted badasses outward in a ever expanding circle until you have conquered the world! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/stupid.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

BigDisAwesome
June 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Well I was already bored with this game, but now I'm getting screwed.
I'm not exactly in the best position at the moment, but I'm staying alive. Now that Ry'leh is set to AI, I couldn't help but notice that he has 2 armies now moved to my border.
And we have a NAP.
So basically...my final stand against Mictlan is pretty much screwed.

So I suppose you can find me a replacement, or I can set myself to AI.

I'm all for conceding to Helheim.

Fun fights though Hellboy!

Hellboy
June 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
BigDisAwesome said:
So I suppose you can find me a replacement, or I can set myself to AI.

I don't see myself making the effort to find a replacement, unless someone objects, I think it's ok for C'Tis to go AI.

I'm all for conceding to Helheim.

Personally, I think Helheim won this game a long time ago, due to lack of a coordinated effort against the obvious leader. But I have little direct visibility on Helheim, and I'm still having fun, so I'm willing to play on as long as others want to.

Fun fights though Hellboy!

Thanks! I had fun too, and I've certainly been impressed by the effectiveness of your horde of sauromancers. They've kept me thwarted for altogether too long!

lch
June 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Hellboy said:
Personally, I think Helheim won this game a long time ago, due to lack of a coordinated effort against the obvious leader.

I don't know about the other nations that much to be able to confirm it, but I guess it's true. I have finished research on some schools and the others will soon follow. I'll complete my collection of the Elemental Royalty this turn, it seems like I'm the only person with unique items, too, and I now have a strong foot in Blood aswell.

But I have little direct visibility on Helheim, and I'm still having fun, so I'm willing to play on as long as others want to.

I will play along as long as people want me to and have fun with the game. Sorry for not rushing you with Tartarians already, Meglobob, but I still have to forge some gear for them before sending them out. qm didn't seem to receive any opposition so there was no need to equip them so far(?).

I'm having an eye on the timer and I'll do my turn, but it will probably take me some time. The turns for this game do cost me hours... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

BigDisAwesome
June 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Alright I'm AI. Have fun guys!

Meglobob
June 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Helheim is the most likely winner of this game but he still as to prove this on the battlefield, so far all he has done is build quicker and faster than anyone else.

If myself Niefelheim, Ulm, Caelum, Mictlan and Marverni all agreed to hit Helheim repeatedly with every nasty piece of magic we have got, raid his lands and put up serious armies to fight him. We, all combined could perhaps destroy him. It does not even after be co-ordinated, just relentless turn after turn. Btw if we can not do this there is no point in ever playing MP again where Helheim is controlled by a good player such as Quantum Mechani. Both of hellboys games Blood Bath and Middle Way prove that. Which is very sad... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

All the remaining players bar Helheim should agree not to fight each another until Helheim is utterly destroyed. Then the rest of us will have a fairly equal chance of winning and we could have a normal game.

Tartarians, elemental royalty, all the unique items yea Helheim/Ich should win but we should make him earn it or it will be the cheapest win in Dominions history

I have already decieded Nefelheim will fight to the death or near death... http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif I am nowhere near powerful enough to defeat Helheim on my own, my entire strategy revolves around defense and as done since I relised how powerful Helheim was.

C'mon guys we have a duty to put up a solid fight vs Helheim.

Sandman
June 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM
The high number of provinces per player was a mistake. It never really turned into a 'blood bath'. More of a turtle soup.

lch
June 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
My laptop has finally broken down after being jumpy for some weeks. I played the current turn with my windows workstation (yech), but I might have a little trouble to get the next couple of turns in until I have a replacement. Plus, I will be in Austria from this to the next weekend. I'll try to keep up, just wanted to warn that I might have too much on my schedule that I could lag, especially if you really all decide to attack me now. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Hellboy
June 13th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Sandman said:
The high number of provinces per player was a mistake. It never really turned into a 'blood bath'. More of a turtle soup.

I agree with your characterization of the result, but disagree regarding the cause. Dominions 3 is still, imo, an interesting game w/ big, spacious maps but it does require a different style of play than on smaller maps.

Sandman
June 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Any chance of a short extension?

lch
June 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I will have to ask for an extension over the weekend, too. I will be travelling the whole day on Sunday and I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get back at the game.

Hellboy
June 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'll reset the server tonight. lch, no worries, I'll make sure you don't stale.

Hellboy
June 17th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Meglobob, are you with us? I'll reset the server, but it'd be good if you took your turn before lch goes out of town.

Meglobob
June 17th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Hellboy said:
Meglobob, are you with us? I'll reset the server, but it'd be good if you took your turn before lch goes out of town.

Done it!

lch
June 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Sorry, I won't be able to do my turn this week, I'm on a conference and there's a high constant workload. I could maybe get to it on Sunday.

Hellboy
June 26th, 2007, 12:10 AM
lch said:
Sorry, I won't be able to do my turn this week, I'm on a conference and there's a high constant workload. I could maybe get to it on Sunday.

So, what's going on lch? I'll postpone until tomorrow night, but it'd be good to get this show on the road.

BTW, I will be mostly out of action between 7/1 and 7/10, I may get a turn or two in durng that period, but it'll hit and miss.

lch
June 26th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I arrived at home yesterday. Didn't have time to prepare my turn before and didn't have the energy to do so yesterday, but I have devoted today to catch up. I'll play my turn within some 20 hours.

Thanks for your patience.

lch
June 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Sorry for the delay, I played my turn. The message screen tells me that one of my globals has been dispelled, but not what it was. Can anybody help jog my memory here?

lch
June 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Uhm, do we have a 24 hour timer now!?

LoloMo
June 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM
It says 64 hours on my screen.

lch
June 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hellboy must have extended it, it was down to 17 hours with no turns in a couple of hours ago.

Meglobob
June 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM
This game should still be going when Dom 4 comes out! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Hellboy
June 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Meglobob said:
This game should still be going when Dom 4 comes out! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Should we make that our objective? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yes, obviously I extended the timer, I was adding 24hrs extensions for lch. Unfortunately my schedule is becoming very difficult now, and will remain so through 7/10. Depending on how things go, I may be extending the clock again. I really don't know how many turns I'll be able to get in for the next 1 1/2 weeks.

lch
July 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I haven't been able to connect to the server for the past three days. Anybody knows what's up? I'm sorry for the really slow pace but preparing the turns for this is literally taking me AGES. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/Injured.gif

LoloMo
July 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I haven't been able to connect either for the past 2 days I think.

Sandman
July 25th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I'd assumed that this game had ended. How's Ulm doing?

lch
July 25th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I'd be glad if we would call this game over without neglecting anyone. Helheim has now researched everything there is to research and I have to bring my mages to the front lines... insane micromanagement. Having two players gone AI screwed this up a little, too, I think - R'lyeh immediately went for Oceania. I'd like to get backups of the game files for the last five turns or something, because with the stuff that Helheim has at his disposal, and a number of opponents to spar with it would be perfect to use the setup for test games. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif