PDA

View Full Version : Network Server host question

vfb
March 25th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'm running a network server game for the first time, and it seems to be working properly, and the game is started.

Only thing is, it's hijacked my ALSA sound, because I started the server though the menus just by running 'dom3' with no args.

Is it safe to stop and restart the server? I assume so, but I don't want to interrupt the game by not knowing how to restart it.

I think I should click 'Quit' in the server Gui, then run it from the command line with something like this:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
/usr/local/bin/dom3 -T -S --port 1024 -q --scoredump --mapfile tyrande_103_map_free.map --era 1 -s b2
</pre><hr />

"b2" is the name of the game.

Since it's already started, do I need to specify mapfile and era and quickhost? Or is this enough:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
/usr/local/bin/dom3 -S -T --port 1024 --scoredump b2
</pre><hr />

Gandalf Parker
March 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Answers:
A) You can stop it and restart it with no problem.
B) most of the starting items (like map) are unneeded on a restart but quickhost is needed
C) that line might work. And it should also ask you in text mode for anything it needs.

Notes:
A) Technically, thats how its meant to be run actually. As a pbem and not as a continual server.
B)but I find it safer to put them in than to try and figure out what I can leave out.
C) You might want to put that line in a script and make it executable. That saves you haveing to rememeber all this when someone asks for a change such as --hours 24. And it iwll let you do things like
nice nohup dom3 xxxxxxxxxxxxx &amp;

You should also get in the habit of putting a master password on the game. Its a real pain to have a game die months into it because you cant change a player.

vfb
March 25th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the help, Gandalf!

Thrawn
March 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Is this game full now?

vfb
March 26th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Sorry, yes, it's already running.