PDA

View Full Version : New info re KWK30/38

chuckfourth
April 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi
I have some new and interesting information from the book "Leichte Panzers In Action", book no. SSP2010 in the squadron/signal series of books.
see http://www.leisure-time.com/ssp.htm
This is the best researched and most detailed book I have found so far dealing with panzer 2.

The book states that the 2cm gun as mounted in the panzer 2 is semiautomatic. Which by definition means it -cannot- fire bursts. Now this gun appears in a lot of German vehicles other than the pz 2. So as this is the same gun I would suggest that all the vehicles carrying the 2cm KWK 30 and 38 guns should recieve there full quota af 180 rounds as was modelled in the game previous to version 6.

Another new and relevant piece of information is this quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Tank_Mk_VI

"The final design of the Mark VI involved changes to the armament, replacing the Vickers machineguns with the equivalent Besa machine guns. The Vickers .50 in (12.7 mm) for a heavier 15 mm Besa and the .303 for the near equivalent 7.92 mm. The 15 mm was capable of single shot and therefore only 175 rounds for it were carried along with 2,700 rounds for the 7.92 mm"

Most of the myriad german vehicles that carry the 2cm KwK guns have an ammo loadout of 180 or less. Now the british thought this was not enough ammo to supply a gun firing automatic. I would think the germans though the same.

Best Regards Chuck.

MarkSheppard
April 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
So as this is the same gun I would suggest that all the vehicles carrying the 2cm KWK 30 and 38 guns should recieve there full quota af 180 rounds as was modelled in the game previous to version 6.

I'm sorry, but you fail. Loading up Combat Mission Afrika Korps and selecting the Panzer IIC shows it to fire in bursts, and seeing as Battlefront is as anal about accuracy as SPCAMO is....

Besides, there are a bunch of errors in the Squadron Signla books. They're good for photos, drawings and artwork, and little more.

Achtung Panzer says:

Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf a/1 to Ausf F were armed with 20mm KwK 30 L/55 automatic cannon (developed from 20mm FlaK 30 anti-aircraft cannon) with rare of fire of 280 rounds per minute and coaxial Rheinmetall-Borsig 7.92mm MG34 machine gun. Cannon was mounted on the left and machine on the right side in the turret.

chuckfourth
April 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Hi Mark
Well I guess it is a battle of sources. The only book that I know of that doesnt contain errors would be the bible.
Best Chuck.