PDA

View Full Version : Ludus - CUnknown WINS!

Jazzepi
June 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM
<font color="purple">Ludus : Latin for games!</font>

Status Page: http://67.66.187.69/dominions3/stats.php?game=ludus#

SERVER IS UP. LETS PLAY http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif Everyone has been added to the e-mail notification list. I'll send out a diplomatic e-mail list so that people can use it for diplomacy in game.

Game Type: TCP/IP (static server)
Speed: 24 hour hosting for as long as possible, until the majority of the players vote in 48 hour hosting. This game is designed to have quick pace for hosting.
Quickhost: Enabled
Era: Early
Players: 10
Start: Nations will be assigned when we are filled. The game will start 48 hours after nations are posted. That will give you two days to create pretender Gods for the nation you have been randomly assigned.
Nation Selection: Random with exceptions (see below). Only 2 water nations allowed.
Map: 15 provinces per player pre-generated map. Below is a link to a picture of the map itself including a connection between the two large bodies of water.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/Jazzepi/ludus-overview.gif
Victory Conditions: 90 out of 150 (~60%) provinces controlled, or the surrendering of all other players.
Graphs: Off
Renaming: On
Everything Else: Defaults
Masterpass: There will be one
Length: This game is designed for quick turns. Staling without notice will get you set to AI or dropped from the game very quickly.

Nation Selection: Once the game is full I will randomly assign nations out. When signing up players may request up to THREE nations they DON’T want. These are nations you DO NOT want to play. Sign up in this thread. There will be only 2 water nations, and 8 land nations at most. There is a possibility of no water nations, or only one as well.

After nations are assigned I’ll need you to email your pretender password to jazzepi(at)columbus.rr.com. This is because I’ve had issues with the Master Password working in the past AND so we can give your nation to another human player if you disappear. This is not optional. If you PM me your password make sure and include your email address if you would like to be included in the diplomacy email distribution list or want email notifications when turns host.

Once I have your password I’ll send you the ip/port of the server where you can upload your pretender. Once everyone is uploaded I’ll send out an email listing everyone’s email contact for diplomacy purposes and add you to the game turn email notification list (unless you specify otherwise). Then the game starts.

If you don't want to download from the server, feel free to download the map files from the attachment. They're zipped up, and both need to be placed in your zip folder.

Quickhost will be enabled. We will remain on 24 hours hosting until enough players vote to switch over. We'll need at least 50% of the currently active players to vote for 48 hours, or longer, before we change.

Players who wish to surrender (resign) should simply let me know so we can find a replacement or turn the nation to computer controlled. If you will be unavailable for longer than a few days please let me know. Failing to do you turn twice a in a row without letting us know will get you put on AI. If I think you are missing too many turns (e.g. 3 out of the last 6) I will put you on AI. Once (*ahem* - If) I am eliminated I’ll rely on the remaining players to tell me when something needs done with the game.

Finally, I'd like to send out a huge thank you to Velusion for hosting the game server, which includes the one this game will be run on. The e-mail notification he has is the only reason I can play in so many games at once. I also stole... er, borrowed, his game setup routine.

Jazzepi

Lingchih
June 8th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I'll join. I might as well get another MP game going, since Perpetuality has gone to 48 hour. I'll send you my info when we get some more players.

Tichy
June 8th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I'm in. I'll send you an email with my prefs (or anti-prefs) soon.

Digress
June 8th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Sign me up. I would like to avoid playing a water nation - other than that I am happy

Fal
June 8th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Count me in please, will take any nation available.

AreWeInsaneYet
June 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I'm in. I'll PM you when I decided what to not play http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

carlosib
June 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I'd like to join this game and avoid playing a water nation.
Thanks
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

solo
June 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I'd like to join. Any nation is okay.

BigDisAwesome
June 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I'm in. No Mictlan, no Lanka, no Ry'leh.

tromper
June 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Looks like I was too late. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

CUnknown
June 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I'd like to sign up for this one as well, I'd like any nation except the water ones.

Lingchih
June 8th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Prefs PM'd to you Jazz.

Fal
June 8th, 2007, 08:54 PM
It seems water nations aren't too popular here. If possible I don't mind taking one of them.

Otherwise no prefs

AreWeInsaneYet
June 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM
prefs sent to ya Jazz, thx http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Shuma
June 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
If there are still spots, I would like to play. Any nation is fine, i.e. I have no 3 nations I don't want to play.

Jazzepi
June 9th, 2007, 02:23 AM
We're full, but I'll contact you if a spot opens up.

Jazzepi

Lingchih
June 9th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Is this some sort of strange joke? I specifically asked to not take Kailasa. Monkey men. Frakkin monkey men.

Oh well, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I'll do my best with them.

Jazzepi
June 9th, 2007, 03:54 AM
No, not a joke. I just messed up. Sorry about that. I'll redo your pick. It's why I asked people to correct me if I gave the wrong assignment.

Jazzepi

Lingchih
June 9th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks Jazz. I actually had an OK little SP game going with the monkey men, but I'm much happier with Neifelheim.

CUnknown
June 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I read in the first post that we have to e-mail our pretender password to you? Why? Just use the master password if you need to get into our nation.

Will the IP of the server be posted here?

My e-mail is Dowdcc (at) yahoo (dot) com if anyone needs to contact me for diplomacy or any other reason.

Jazzepi
June 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Directly from the game description on the first page. I've never hosted a game before, but Velusion has hosted many, so I trust in him that this is a good step and not one that should be circumvented. I'm not going to use your password to cheat, but if you feel awkward/unsafe about it use a password you don't normally use for your other pretenders.

If it's a huge issue to comply with, we can find a replacement for you. Again, this isn't my idea really, but I'm sure it's a good one.

The IP of the server gets mailed to you so that you can upload your pretender to it once I get the password for your nation mailed to me.

"After nations are assigned I’ll need you to email your pretender password to jazzepi(at)columbus.rr.com. ****This is because I’ve had issues with the Master Password working in the past AND so we can give your nation to another human player if you disappear.**** This is not optional. If you PM me your password make sure and include your email address if you would like to be included in the diplomacy email distribution list or want email notifications when turns host."

Jazzepi

lch
June 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM
CUnknown said:
I read in the first post that we have to e-mail our pretender password to you? Why? Just use the master password if you need to get into our nation.

To be able to give the nation to somebody else in case somebody vanishes completely from the game and from the forum, stalling forever. That's better than setting him to AI. And yes, since there is going to be a masterpass anyway you can aswell send over your password, too. It's not like you are losing anything by it.

Jazzepi
June 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM
lch said:

CUnknown said:

To be able to give the nation to somebody else in case somebody vanishes completely from the game and from the forum, stalling forever. That's better than setting him to AI. And yes, since there is going to be a masterpass anyway you can aswell send over your password, too. It's not like you are losing anything by it.

I would also like to mention that Ulm had to be set on AI in a game I'm in, Ragnarok, and it's a real pain in the butt when someone in such a crucial position can't be taken over by a human. Mostly because whatever alliances, or wars were going on at the time, are ignored by the AI. Anything that allows a player's position to be changed into another's players hands seems good to me.

This also happened to Patala in another game I'm in, Hidden Signs. We needed him for a world wide alliance against Emor, but instead he continued to attack Arco who needed time to prepare for Emor. Again, the AI doesn't understand diplomacy so nothing could be done.

The AI is fine for subbing in for a player who's capital is under seige and will never be able to fight back, but it does an awful job replacing someone who is a major super power.

Jazzepi

CUnknown
June 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Sorry, it's my anti-authoritarian side showing through. I'll do it, I'm glad to get an explanation first, though. I would hope that you'd trust me not to leave the game and stale forever -- I've never done that in any game I've ever been in. I think that dominions is a small enough community that we should all trust each other. I wouldn't invite someone to the game who I thought would be a risk to do something like that (for example, I'm probably never letting Remmy into a game of mine again).

But at the same time, it's not difficult to comply, so I will.

Jazzepi
June 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Honestly, it would simpler be easier for me to not have to collect everyone's passwords and just set people to AI with the master pass. I don't exactly /want/ to have to go through the additional trouble of wrangling passwords out of people, it's just something that seems like a good idea considering the problems it overcomes.

Again, I would encourage you to use a non-default, uncommon password for whatever pretender you send me so that you can be sure I won't be using it to log into one of your other games. I don't have any intention of doing so, but maybe it'll give you more peace of mind.

Jazzepi

Fal
June 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
CUnknown said:
Sorry, it's my anti-authoritarian side showing through. I'll do it, I'm glad to get an explanation first, though. I would hope that you'd trust me not to leave the game and stale forever -- I've never done that in any game I've ever been in. I think that dominions is a small enough community that we should all trust each other.

exactly, you should trust Jazzepi as well . http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

CUnknown
June 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM
True enough, Fal! I should practice what I preach. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

I do trust him, so I went ahead and sent him my password. Now that we've established a bond of trust, let's get started with killing each other!

Jazzepi
June 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
CUnknown said:
True enough, Fal! I should practice what I preach. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

I do trust him, so I went ahead and sent him my password. Now that we've established a bond of trust, let's get started with killing each other!

I trust that you'll die when I stab you.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Jazzepi

BigDisAwesome
June 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry on the holdup! I didn't even notice it had started. Turn is in now.

solo
June 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Server appears to be down at the moment.

Jazzepi
June 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I sent a message to Velusion.

Jazzepi

AreWeInsaneYet
June 15th, 2007, 04:34 AM
So, just like the mega....:p

Nation: Helheim
Looking For: Bag of Winds.
Will Pay: 25 Air Gems, or 20 Air Gems plus 75 gold.
Start from: Turn 4(Current Turn...*cough*)

Lingchih
June 15th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Jazz,

Did you ever send out that diplomatic email? I've recently met a neighbor, the friendly, flaming Abysians, but have no idea who it is. Their mere presence is causing some of my favorite glaciers to show signs of global warming.

Lingchih
June 16th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Ahh, never mind. I see from Velusions game server page that you, Jazzepi, are playing Abysia. Well met! I hope your travels to the south are fruitful. Because any travel to the north will be met with, well, extreme distaste.

BigDisAwesome
June 17th, 2007, 12:51 AM
A warning to all other nations.
After 1 messenger was sent to Helheim with no reply, we started to worry. He went offering peace, as all know a war this early is silly.

So went sent a second messenger, and Helheim responded to tell us it's too late. The war has already began.

If you border Helheim, don't trust them for a second. In fact, now would be a good time to take some of their land while they throw their little horse bound army at us.

Lingchih
June 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM
The North seems to be very crowded this time of year. I wonder what my neighbors' intentions are? I guess we shall see soon. That's a mighty big crowd of smelly cavemen on my border. I wonder what they're up to?

Digress
June 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM
I am having some difficulty logging onto this game. I belong to a couple of Velusion's other games and am not having any trouble with them.

I finished my turn and the turn hosted and now every time I try to connect dominions crashes in a heap while waiting for game info. Hope I didn't break anything ...

Jazzepi
June 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM
The server went down again x.x

Jazzepi

BigDisAwesome
June 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm out. I HATE getting rushed.
Helheim is running a W9/E9 bless. I like to think I did all I could possibly do, but couldn't quite pull it out.
First person to post proof of themselves taking over Helheim provinces gets free gems. Assuming it happens before he musters enough to start tearing down my walls.

Lingchih
June 22nd, 2007, 01:18 AM
The war against the Agarthans has begun. Let them flee to their caves against the righteous might of Niefelheim. They should never have crossed me, but now they will pay.

(Scribe of Niefelheim adds "Actually, they never crossed us. I think Big Stick just wanted to pick a fight")

Note: Scribe of Niefelheim has been sent to front lines.

Tichy
June 22nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Yeah, were a real threat aren't we, with all of our 8 (make it six) provinces. Has anyone figured out how to actually get EA Agartha to not have the problem I like to refer to as 'failure to thrive'?

Well, at least Niefel had the decency to declare war. Niefel, if you call off this assault you have all of my resources at your disposal to destroy Abysia utterly. You can kill us, or you can have an E4,D3,etc. factory devoted to production with a fanatical hatred of the fire demons to the south. It's your choice.

Lingchih
June 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Man, it is so hot down in there in Abysia. I mean, have you been there? It's just really freaking hot. We can't even wear our nifty fur greatcoats down there.

No, I think it would be better to crush you up here where it's nice and cold. We'll deal with Abysia after we've developed some really good sunscreen.

Jazzepi
June 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Tichy said:
Yeah, were a real threat aren't we, with all of our 8 (make it six) provinces. Has anyone figured out how to actually get EA Agartha to not have the problem I like to refer to as 'failure to thrive'?

Well, at least Niefel had the decency to declare war. Niefel, if you call off this assault you have all of my resources at your disposal to destroy Abysia utterly. You can kill us, or you can have an E4,D3,etc. factory devoted to production with a fanatical hatred of the fire demons to the south. It's your choice.

We love you too. Now, please die quickly so that we can get back to spreading firey goodness.

Jazzepi

Tichy
June 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Well then; to Helheim with the both of you.

Lingchih
June 25th, 2007, 03:42 AM
These have been some interesting battles. I never knew that Niefel Jarls and Niefel Giants could hold off so many units, with the proper bless (I've never played Nielfelhiem before). Quite impressive. I've also seen how vulnerable they can be to fear spells. Hopefully I can counter that more effectively in the future.

Well played, Agartha. You may be going down, but you did some damage in the meantime. Who knows? You may beat me back yet.

Jazzepi
June 25th, 2007, 04:27 AM
My understanding is that, for the most part, when the blessed giants get knocked out of a battle, it's because of morale. Their squads are so small that the checks are more difficult than normal.

Jazzepi

Tichy
June 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Well, I think the party's pretty much over now, but I'm glad my one-eyed buggers could put up such a fuss on their way down. Thanks!

It seems Agartha really needs an awake pretender for early expansion -- their opening army is awful and their decent units chew up so much cash that it takes a few turns to put together an army that can actually take provinces. But they also cry out for a strong bless, because all their big mages are H3 (and their unblessed warriors are kinda squishy and daft). So I'll need to figure out how to balance this...or avoid playing the cavemen in the future...

Lingchih
June 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I just don't like them. Even if you give them a good bless, their units have terrible attack values, and low protection. It seems like their H3 mages could be very powerful later in the game. I think the problem is actually living until later in the game.

Jazzepi
June 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I'm playing MA Argatha in Afterthought at the moment, and I've found them very difficult to play. I went for good scales, and the forge lord pretender to site search and give me better death magic.

The mapmove of 1 on almost all their commanders and units makes it difficult to respond to attacks. I found myself overwhelmed by a Van player in the early game, and only beat him by bribing a bigger player to basically come in and mulch his capital.

Jazzepi

Tichy
June 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
My impression of living longer in MP (from the few games I've played): there seem to be two basically successful strategies 1) to be honest and 'perceived strong' (i.e. not a border-threat, and costly to mess with) so that you don't get directly attacked after the initial expansion phase and you can be a modereate power player in alliances, or 2) rush to an very strong position and then play smaller states off of one another who will give concessions or become vassals in order to not be attacked by you. (I've achieved #1 exactly once, and #2 I haven't attempted.)

Unless EA Agartha gets really lucky right off the bat and uses an awake combat pretender, it seems nearly impossible to achieve either of these positions going into midgame. Partially because Agartha will always be 'perceived weak' and have to fend off early war. (Or fail to...and go down swinging his big slimy fists.)

Jazzepi
June 25th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. I'm playing another game where I'm rushing yet another Argatha player. They just seem so... weak.

Jazzepi

solo
June 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I also rushed them in one of the blitz games where they were unable to mount much resistance.

Digress
June 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Sorry folks I don't seem to be able to connect at the moment and am at risk of staling - I seem to be able to connect to another of Velusion's hosted games without any trouble. Will continue trying.

Jazzepi
June 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Sent Velusion a message.

Jazzepi

Jazzepi
June 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I can't connect either. I believe the server is down.

Jazzepi

AreWeInsaneYet
June 27th, 2007, 12:50 PM
It's working. Now.

lch
June 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Tichy said:
My impression of living longer in MP (from the few games I've played): there seem to be two basically successful strategies 1) to be honest and 'perceived strong' (i.e. not a border-threat, and costly to mess with) so that you don't get directly attacked after the initial expansion phase and you can be a modereate power player in alliances, or 2) rush to an very strong position and then play smaller states off of one another who will give concessions or become vassals in order to not be attacked by you. (I've achieved #1 exactly once, and #2 I haven't attempted.)

Actually, #1 is the way to go. With #2 you will have all the other little ones allying against you, if only to divert attention from themselves and in need of somewhere to expand further than indies, without wanting to step on the toes of somebody else who can drag it out too much.

Tichy said:
Unless EA Agartha gets really lucky right off the bat and uses an awake combat pretender, it seems nearly impossible to achieve either of these positions going into midgame. Partially because Agartha will always be 'perceived weak' and have to fend off early war. (Or fail to...and go down swinging his big slimy fists.)

LA Agartha, on the other hand, seems quite potent.

Lingchih
July 2nd, 2007, 02:27 AM
The North seems to be heating up. I think we shall see a winner in the north in the next several turns (certainly not saying that it will be me). But things are getting interesting.

CUnknown
July 2nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
"May you live in interesting times."

I'm glad I live in the south! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Lingchih
July 4th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Mmm. My giants are so very hungry. And you know what tastes good? Minotaur ribs, that's what tastes good. Roasted over an open fire. Centaur is not bad too, but a little stringy. I like to make jerky out of them.

Digress
July 4th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Sorry everyone - I staled and probably held up the game a little. For some bizarre reason I thought I had taken the turn already.

I blame the lack of sleep. Two infant sons who believe that sleep is for the weak. At the moment I feel like I have a permanent hangover without any of the fun bits, like being drunk http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif and and the associated condition, in my case sadly, of dancing badly http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Lingchih
July 4th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Well. Look at the bright side. You have more money now.

Lingchih
July 5th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Wow. Abysia held up like a wet match in a hurricane. Guess I should have just ganked them after all. Oh well. I guess it is on to Niefelheim vs. Pangaea. May the best double blessed giants win.

Jazzepi
July 5th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Pfff, after you begged us not to attack you while you were sieging the Argathan capital, and then the moment it's down you broke our NAP. I'm glad we were able to reach an agreement about that.

We had a terribly unfortunate battle with Tir Na'og where we lost 20+ battle mages to, rain, of all things. If we had simply had the chaff in front that we needed to absorb the first couple of thunder strikes I believe the battle would have gone a different way. Unfortunately we did not. This is our first time playing Abysia, and we didn't place anyone in front to suck up those armor negating thunder strikes x.x

For some reason... the lich leader of Tir Na'og just died on our province defense http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif So his immortal lich has died as the province didn't have positive dominion for him in it.

Jazzepi

Fal
July 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM
yes I made a bad move last turn, I was trying to be clever http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif no matter he will be back in 3 turns and that province will soon belong to me.

go on and blame the rain and thunders...you started a war without knowing our strength and your own strength. It was a war that you were bound to lose.

Tichy
July 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Jazzepi said:
Pfff, after you begged us not to attack you while you were sieging the Argathan capital...
Jazzepi

*Now* you tell me.

carlosib
July 5th, 2007, 08:22 AM
That should be an interesting war. You seem to be very confident of your giants and i have huge faith in my troops. I guess it's just a matter of a few turns until we find out who will prevail.
Anyway, good luck!! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

llamabeast
July 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Double blessed Niefel giants - eek! Make sure you do some SP tests against them carlosib, they are insanely brutal if you don't have some kind of a cunning plan. You will only have a couple of rounds of combat before your troops fall asleep if you end up fighting in a cold province (and he can probably cast Wolven Winter to make sure you do). I hear Destruction is very effective if you can cast it.

Sorry, don't know why I'm even reading this thread. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

Jazzepi
July 5th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Fal said:
yes I made a bad move last turn, I was trying to be clever http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif no matter he will be back in 3 turns and that province will soon belong to me.

go on and blame the rain and thunders...you started a war without knowing our strength and your own strength. It was a war that you were bound to lose.

We will incinerate you like a match in a firestorm. Or at least die trying!

We should have just attacked the giants of Neifheleim. Our sympathy for their cause got the best of us ;P

Jazzepi

Lingchih
July 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
We should have just attacked the giants of Neifheleim. Our sympathy for their cause got the best of us ;P

Yeah, you probably should have. I hear Tir Na Nog is huge. And thanks again for not attacking while I was seiging Argartha, although, in retrospect, that would have been the best time for you to do it.

Jazzepi
July 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Well guys, I'm out. Set myself to AI.

Jazzepi

Fal
July 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Let it be known, Tir is a peaceful nation where happiness lasts forever. we reward our friends richly and treat our allies with dignity and honor. We do not seek war and violence, but for those cowardly opportunists who wish to test the prowess of our army, Tir na n'Og shall destroy them without mercy and hesitation.

Fal
July 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Jazzepi said:
Well guys, I'm out. Set myself to AI.

Jazzepi

sorry to see you go Jazzepi, on the plus side though, you managed to kill my god with PD, I bet not many people have achieved that http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Thanks for hosting the game.

Jazzepi
July 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
It's cool. I got what I deserved for attacking Eriu without doing any scouting XD Generally I'm much more cautious than that, but for some reason I had convinced myself that you were at war with C'Tis. Imagine my surprise when C'Tis told me you and him were good friends after I canceled my NAP.

Oh well. Better luck next time!

Jazzepi

Lingchih
July 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
See you in Sophistry Jazzepi.

Lingchih
July 5th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Lookee Lookee! Pan has brought herds and herds of Pegasus cattle as tribute for our victory feast. Maybe I was wrong about Pan. They seem very generous.

Lingchih
July 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Ummm. He apparently wasn't bringing them for the feast. Damn things had little people on them, and attacked me!

About the outcome I expected. You had me vastly outnumbered, but my two Jarls put up a good fight, and one even got away.

Fal
July 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM
unable to connect to server.

Lingchih
July 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
It would appear that Pan has beaten me. I'm not giving up... I'll fight till my last giant is slain, but the odds are against me. They charm my very troops against me, and my magic is weak. I now fight a valiant but ultimately losing battle.

That said, I challenge you pretenders of the world to stand up, and attack those who would usurp this world. Helheim has cast a global. Atlantis has cast a global. Why do you not fight them? Although we decline now, Niefelheim has never shirked a fight. May you gather some courage and do the same.

CUnknown
July 9th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Have courage, Giants of the North! I believe victory will be yours in the end.

Helheim is indeed mighty, but they are hidden away in lands mortals seldom tread.

Atlantis is underwater, likewise a little out of the way.

Tir na n'Og is centrally located in the south, only he really has the ability to take the initiative. Since Abyssia's falling, his choice of targets are now Nefielheim, me (Ulm), and Ctis. I don't believe he borders Helheim. I suppose he could go underwater to battle Atlantis, if he wanted. Sounds like a difficult road to hoe, though.

Lingchih
July 9th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Yes, the killing of the Pangaean pretender god has given us some hope. Perhaps the brute force of the north can yet win against the cunning minions of Pan.

AreWeInsaneYet
July 9th, 2007, 03:58 AM
now who's saying helheim's mighty....you made me a good laugh http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif thanks for your trust bro, but the fact is Oops, We don't have a score graph :p

Hel's being forced into a battle we are about to lose, but I've already achieved my goal in this game, it's bonus time now..have fun!

ps. not only atlan's underwater, i'm pretty sure that the ghost king of c'tis and his minions' dwelling uw too. weird?...hmm, maybe....?

carlosib
July 10th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Lingchih said:
It would appear that Pan has beaten me. I'm not giving up... I'll fight till my last giant is slain, but the odds are against me. They charm my very troops against me, and my magic is weak. I now fight a valiant but ultimately losing battle.

Is this a joke? The first battle with the giants settled the fate of Pangaea. Although we won a couple of provinces it was to a huge cost. Those giants are a terrible menace. I think losing 100 centaurs and 50 pegasus to 9 giants isnt really a victory, is it? I reckon i'm a newbie and I put too much faith in the charm spell which didnt work as well as i expected. And i lost half my army due to an experiment with battle orders gone bad.
Anyway, it is a great learning experience, and i must say that i wasnt prepared for Niefel's strategy. I'll be ready for it next time!! Well done Lingchih

Lingchih
July 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
carlosib said:

Lingchih said:

Is this a joke? The first battle with the giants settled the fate of Pangaea. Although we won a couple of provinces it was to a huge cost. Those giants are a terrible menace. I think losing 100 centaurs and 50 pegasus to 9 giants isnt really a victory, is it? I reckon i'm a newbie and I put too much faith in the charm spell which didnt work as well as i expected. And i lost half my army due to an experiment with battle orders gone bad.
Anyway, it is a great learning experience, and i must say that i wasnt prepared for Niefel's strategy. I'll be ready for it next time!! Well done Lingchih

Oh. I thought you had several more armies like that (I don't have any scouts... big-*** idiots keep getting caught. Whoever thought of making a giant a scout anyway). Your charm actually worked pretty well I thought. You took a Jarl and several lesser giants.

carlosib
July 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, i took a Jarl and some lesser (shape shifters?), but after casting the spell more than 100 times in several battles. I thought it would have a much greater impact in the outcome of the war. High MR helped the giants a lot i guess. But the main reason of some battles going so wrong is my lack of experience setting battle orders, i messed up really bad there http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Lingchih
July 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Well, I knew the high magic resistance on the Jarls would help, and I kept them at the back for as long as possible, with chaff up front to absorb the charms.

I think the growing fury worked against you too, making all your troops berserk, and rushing them right into the waiting Jarl gauntlet at the rear. I believe that is what happened with your pretender.

Digress
July 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Some of you may be aware that C'tis wrestling with Atlantis over the pond/lake/sea in the east of this map.

Thus far its been a more expensive wrestle than I was expecting given the paucity of troops and fortifications that Atlantis had built up there. But I thought eventually Atlantis would give up and I would mop up Atlanta's troops faster than they could be recruited. I had planned that this would have happened by now.

Imagine my suprise this turn to find that the underwater province 75 in the lake is now connected to province 92 in the larger ocean on this map. Now I have held province 75 for a while now and I would swear blind that there was no connection between those provinces when I captured it four or five turns ago http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Now to my knowledge there aren't any magical sites that cause this effect upon being found (that is connecting to another province to another).

Anyway I am confused.

CUnknown
July 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
As far as I know, they have been connected since the beginning of the game. Jazzepi told us about those connections in the first post, I believe.

Digress
July 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Well thanks for sorting that out so quickly.

Whoops http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif I must have left one of the map filters off ... or somehow just blocked it out. I am coming to the strong conclusion that I have too many games going at once (or too many toddlers running amok - my multitasking ability kind of sucks at the moment).

C'tis will continue to splah about in a noble and iguana-y manner.

Jazzepi
July 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Digress said:
Some of you may be aware that C'tis wrestling with Atlantis over the pond/lake/sea in the east of this map.

Thus far its been a more expensive wrestle than I was expecting given the paucity of troops and fortifications that Atlantis had built up there. But I thought eventually Atlantis would give up and I would mop up Atlanta's troops faster than they could be recruited. I had planned that this would have happened by now.

Imagine my suprise this turn to find that the underwater province 75 in the lake is now connected to province 92 in the larger ocean on this map. Now I have held province 75 for a while now and I would swear blind that there was no connection between those provinces when I captured it four or five turns ago http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Now to my knowledge there aren't any magical sites that cause this effect upon being found (that is connecting to another province to another).

Anyway I am confused.

I posted image links that clearly showed the two bodies of water were connected. This was an artificial thing that I added after the map was randomly generated so that we could have two water nations on the same map.

Jazzepi

BigDisAwesome
July 11th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Well I think Caelum is finally done for. I've been stuck in my castle since about turn 10 or so, but I'm about to get preached out and my last attack didn't work out so well.

Man I wanna play Caelum in a different EA game now. I generally like to play random choice MP games and learn the nation I get assigned beforehand. I hate it when you learn the nation and then you get rushed and never really get to use it.

Good game Helheim.

Lingchih
July 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Since we're speaking of map weirdness, thought I would mention the province directly south of the Agarthan capitol (I'm at work so I can't tell you the number). It looks like ordinary plains, but you can't move into-out of it from N, NE or NW provinces, only from SE, SW. It's rather inconvenient.

Maybe you already mentioned it Jazzepi, I don't remember. Surely you would have noticed it.

Jazzepi
July 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
That was just some awfulness of the random map generator I didn't catch when I was cleaning up the map. Not something there by my design =\

Jazzepi

Digress
July 11th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I think I must have just blanked it out - now having been reminded repeatedly it is beginning to come back .... rather slowly and dimly.

While winter in Sydney cannot really be described as severe (or even mild) it must be the conjunction of the season and my cold blooded nature conspiring the slow the mind (that or chronic sleep deprivation).

solo
July 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Continued befuddleness by your lizards would be welcome news to the sea dwellers of Atlantis!

Lingchih
July 13th, 2007, 02:46 AM
"It's getting cold out here, let's put on all our clothes."

Good luck Pangaea. I'm driving at you though. Let slip the Dogs of War.

Lingchih
July 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Nice fight! You kicked my arse, and charmed a whole Niefel troop and a Jarl. Traitorous bastards. They'll get what's coming to them though.

I guess it's time to change tactics.

carlosib
July 14th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Lingchih said:
Nice fight! You kicked my arse, and charmed a whole Niefel troop and a Jarl. Traitorous bastards. They'll get what's coming to them though.

I guess it's time to change tactics.

Yes! finally that darn charm spell is paying all the research i put in it...
I guess this war is getting more interesting as it was very one sided until last turn

CUnknown
July 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
What do you guys say about maybe changing this game to 48-h quickhost at turn 50 or so? This game has been going amazingly quickly and that's great! But, I think it's almost time for a little extra time to take the turns. Anyone else agree?

Lingchih
July 15th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I don't know. It's a small game, with not that much micro management (at least on my part). Others may differ. I would prefer to keep it 24 hour for now, unless someone needs extra time on a particular turn. I do my turns in about 5 minutes (it's no that hard to tell a Jarl to go stomp on so-and-so province.)

But I'm fine with going to 48 hour, if everyone else wants to.

AreWeInsaneYet
July 15th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I find myself agree with Lingchih. It's not like other games where you have to deal with fifteen or so people for your diplomacy move, so I found myself enjoying this relax yet fast paced game. I suppose we can continue 24hours for some more times, and see if we need to change that in the future.

Yea, I'm enjoying it as I've achieved both of my goals in this game: rush and took down a neighbor(urh) and keep myself alive till the end of the 4th year http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Fal
July 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
yes, I'm also doing turns alot faster than usual in Ludus, the situations are much less complicated in this game. But if other players are not enjoying the game as much as they should due to time restrain, I'd certainly agree slower turns.

solo
July 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
The game was designed for quicker hosting with a majority vote needed for a 48 hour switch. My vote is to stick with 24 for now.

Digress
July 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I am struggling to keep up - but am willing to keep trying.

Atlantis continual Earth Attacks are reducing my micromanagment problems ... thanks a bunch http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/Sick.gif

Lingchih
July 15th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Actually, my turns are taking longer now as well, since Pan has forced me to actually think about what I'm doing, instead of just crushing whatever is in the way. I can still do 24 hour without a problem, but I could live with 48 hour.

How about an official vote? I have no idea how to set one up though.

carlosib
July 16th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I can manage 24 hour but wouldnt mind changing to 48 hour.

Jazzepi
July 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Just post clearly that you wish to change to 48. When at least half of the remaining players wish to change over we'll move it up to 48.

Jazzepi

CUnknown
July 16th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I am happy to keep taking my turns quickly, but I am going to go on record as voting for a change to 48-h turns. I just think it's getting to that stage in the game.

AreWeInsaneYet
July 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
dear C'tis,
your demand turned out to be too much for us to bear. I failed to get your point as peaceful as we were, and sadly I found myself have no options but step our forces into a very-likely losing war. just like you wished and you threatened.
that being said, the people of helheim shall never find themselves a dummy of lizard, as so much we valued pride and honor, and we would fight for it till the end of world. should our nation be annihilated one day, remember my word,
Helheim Never Surrender.

Digress
July 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I would like to vote for a change to 48 hour hosting.

C'tis is preparing to reap what it sowed ... our crop looks like it is going to bitter and particularly foul-tasting .... bleeagh !

solo
July 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I appreciate the sacrifices involved in making a hand delivery of a Sea King's Goblet to my ocean defenders, but since I have no immediate use for this item, I thought I would offer it up for sale. Anyone interested in obtaining this magic item can PM me for more details.

Fal
July 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM
yeah please buy the goblet from the sea critters and use it against them later on in the game.

Tir na n'Og will also sell Goblets at a discounted price. Contact for price.

CUnknown
July 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
The trading empire of Ulm has great prices on all items, especially those of elemental magics. Powerful items such as Staves of Elemental Mastery and Robes of Invulnerabilty are also available -- for under base cost! See your local Ulm customer service representative today!

AreWeInsaneYet
July 17th, 2007, 01:48 AM
*AreWeInsaneYet rings 1-800-856(1-800-ulm)
Greetings madam. At what price would you sell the Chalice to me? Yea, we are questing knights. Order of the Chalice...madam? hello? hello? (bee------------)

Digress
July 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Talk about a great time to stale a turn http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/rant.gif

CUnknown
July 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
The Ulmish barbarian peoples have lived in harmony with the earth for thousands of years. But now, the Great Earth Mother has been wounded, brutally injured by the devils of Tir na n'Og, who suck up her precious life essence for their own nefarious purposes!

We cannot abide this!!!!

DEATH TO TIR NA N'OG!!!!!!

I call upon all virtuous nations to join me in the crusade to destroy the evildoers!!

Lingchih
July 18th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Tir na n'Og's power is indeed disturbing. But the giants of the North choose to remain neutral in this conflict for now.

That said, our wrath is heavy with those who side against us. I think, in fact, that Tir may be goading on certain parties in our war against the valiant tribes of Pangaea. Time will tell.

Smaug of Niefelheim

Jazzepi
July 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I asked Veslusion to change the hosting schedule over to 48 hours. Please be aware this may take him some time to get done, but will most likely be put into effect soonish (next 12-24 hours).

Jazzepi

CUnknown
July 18th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Thanks, Jazzepi. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Jazzepi
July 18th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Velusion went ahead and changed it. Hosting should be 48 hours now.

Jazzepi

AreWeInsaneYet
July 18th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I thought it was "When at least half of the remaining players wish to change over we'll move it up to 48", not "at least half of players don't mind to change to 48"?

NVM, this way I'll soon find myself asking for a sub. The new semester--the final--begin in two weeks.

Jazzepi
July 18th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Players indicated their preferences as below with the unmentioned being counted as a vote against switching to 48 hours...

Digress - 48
CUnknown - 48
carlosib - Live with 48
Lingchih - Live with 48
Fal - Live with 48

I counted "I could live with 48 hours" as a vote for it.

"I could live with 48 hour hosting", to me, means "I don't want to switch over to 48 hour hosting unless someone else needs it, in which case I can live with it". Since two players expressly asked for 48 hour hosting, I felt like it was time to switch since 5 people is a clear majority out of the 7 remaining players.

Jazzepi

Lingchih
July 18th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Hey Jazz,

Thanks for continuing to monitor this game.

Jazzepi
July 18th, 2007, 03:00 AM
No problem. Do send some thanks to Velusion though, he's the host! And he has such nice e-mail notification :3 It's the only reason I can play in 7 games at once.

Jazzepi

Lingchih
July 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm capped at three. I could probably take on another one, but it would have to be a Velusion game. I'm spoiled by that nice email system and the status pages.

Digress
July 19th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Server appears to have fallen over. Will try to reconnect in a short while and after that contact our generous host.

Lingchih
July 19th, 2007, 12:40 AM
He's doing maintenance. All games are down for now. He's resetting all timers too (per his post in the game server thread)

Digress
July 19th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Thanks - his website was to be the next port of call. Lunch break ended early.

Lingchih
July 26th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Well, thought I would get this game back in the front page for a time. Pointless war vs. Pangaea is going as expected. Long slog. I haven't heard from any other players in a while... guess I've been regarded as unimportant since all I am doing is fighting Pan.

I would assume this game goes to Tir at some point.

CUnknown
July 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Don't assume Tir will win! His armies are indeed mighty, but I have been able to take a number of his provinces in the war so far. He is defeatable, I believe. Not easily, though.

Fal
July 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM
The blind confidence of the barbarians makes us laugh, yes they have been able to capture a number of provinces with merely 5 PD in them, but don't assume ownership of these provinces yet. Ulm will be the next Abysia, and you will weep in the thunderstorms!! Tir na n'Og shall soon bring peace, culture and enternal youth to your unruly nation.

delenda est Ulm!!

Lingchih
July 28th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Pangaea is under siege from the dreadful Giants of the North, and it and their scattered minions will soon fall to the wrath of Niefelheim.

And the treacherous Jarls who defected to Pan will be dealt with, most harshly, by my blood mages I think. They are quite adept at torture.

Except for Volsung. Can I have him back? Dude is a bad-***.

Fal
August 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ha! good move Ulm. I knew I should have been more patient, you outmaneuvered me last turn and kill my mages one by one while they were sneaking http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif. Again I was being too cleaver, together they were invincible, but I just couldn't resist the temptation of sneaking...

I will make some arrangements before I turn myself on AI in a few turns time, anyone interested in large amount of gems should contact me with a good reason.

CUnknown
August 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Uh... dude, I feel for you, Fal! That was so wrong, is that a bug? It seems like I should have faught all your sneaking guys at once, not individually. Very strange.

You are taking it very well, if I were you I would be screaming and ripping my hair out. That is quite some army you had, I would have liked to have seen our armies go at it all together. I'm not sure if it was invincible, but I certainly would have lost a ton, even if I won.

Should we report this as a bug? If there are multiple "caught sneakings" in the same province in the same turn, shouldn't they fight together?

To add insult to injury, Fal, all my guys gained like 3 stars because they won like 20 battles in that one turn. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

Fal
August 3rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
I don't think it's meant to be a bug, I think sneaking commaders are discovered individually.

My original plan was to take out your PD with a smaller force while my mages are hidiing, while you break the siege next turn they will suddenly appear from nowhere to give you a nasty surprise. And if you didn't break siege I had six gate cleavers and a earth mage casting crumble so I could storm castle in one turn. But I didn't realise you'd move beforehand and patrol the province with your entire army http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

FYI, The army had 3 Air mage casting shimmering fields, 1 casting fog warrior, 1 will of fate, 8 for earthquake/rain of stones, 1 for army of lead, 1 for darkness, and 1 for the armor-destroying spell (forgot what's it called) and some other for antimagic, astral healing, transformation, warrior of neiflheim, etc etc. So unless you had fog warrior, your army shouldn't survive the 8 earthquakes, even then there were shimmering fields.

and now they are all gone, along with all their items and gems, oh fate how you mock me http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

solo
August 3rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Fal said:
I will make some arrangements before I turn myself on AI in a few turns time, anyone interested in large amount of gems should contact me with a good reason.

I am the one, of course!

My good reason: I have no sympathy for you regarding your recent defeat and the gems would help me gobble up your remaining provinces after you go AI. Also, I have wasted 12 air gems on 3 Rings of Tamed Lightning which I no longer need and deserve a refund!

CUnknown
August 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I didn't patrol with my guys, apparently the game puts them on patrol automatically when two armies collide in a province with a castle (I was moving to attack at the same time you were). It was random I guess that the battle took place on my province, otherwise your sneaking guys would still be alive.

Fal
August 3rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
solo said:

Fal said:

I am the one, of course!

My good reason: I have no sympathy for you regarding your recent defeat and the gems would help me gobble up your remaining provinces after you go AI. Also, I have wasted 12 air gems on 3 Rings of Tamed Lightning which I no longer need and deserve a refund!

I wonder how old is Solo....
well be careful I've not gone AI yet so you might still need those rings.
Oh btw I have a few Barrel of Air if anyone's interested. and sea king's goblets, free of charge.

CU, that was interesting, yeah so AI does put your defending forces on patrol if the battle takes place in your province well I learned something new today. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/smirk.gif

Lingchih
August 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
So who the hell is winning this game now? I'm totally confused. Wish we had some graphs. Who has the Eyes of God up? They need to post a screenshot of the world so we can get some kind of idea.

CUnknown
August 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Well, Tir still has a number of provinces. He could recover, I think, if Atlantis was totally evil and decided to backstab me before I could finish him off. (That would be so cool!) But, maybe it's best if he just gobbles up Tir's remaining provinces along with me. In that case, me (Ulm) and Atlantis would have a lead over the rest of the players.

But, I don't know, despite the beating you two up (Giants, Pangea) north have been dishing out to each other, I think you are both still competitive. And who knows about Helheim, I mean how long has he had Forge of the Ancients active?? That is usually considered a game-winner, right?

Does anyone know how Ctis is doing?

solo
August 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Fal said:

I wonder how old is Solo....
well be careful I've not gone AI yet so you might still need those rings.
Oh btw I have a few Barrel of Air if anyone's interested. and sea king's goblets, free of charge.

CU, that was interesting, yeah so AI does put your defending forces on patrol if the battle takes place in your province well I learned something new today. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/smirk.gif

I am old enough to probably expire before I get any free gems out of you!

In regard to that battle, I think the patrol only occurs if those troops were given move orders. It's too bad that one disasterous result can drive a very competitive nation to despair.

Fal
August 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Well I still have some muscle and my battlefield magic are still much better than Ulm's, but the sheer number of barbarians and his thugs will eventually destroy Tir, the loss was TOO great for me to reverse current situation.

For the time being Atlantis has slight advantage over Ulm but it won't last long, CU is using the textbook strategy he has made a few effective thugs now and it shouldn't take him long to achieve magic diversity, at which point he will take the lead. FYI His homeland security is rather weak atm http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Oh btw Tir na n'Og is so much fun to play with, it has a wonderful access to some of the most potent magic combos, and Baobhan Sidhe are simply the cheapest yet effective thugs I've seen. you really should try it if you haven't played with it, just don't make the silly mistake I've made http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

CUnknown
August 3rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
I have to agree with Fal, the loss that occured on that turn was enough to make anyone go AI, especially the way it happened with like 20-30 of his mages dying one at a time back-to-back.

Unless he gets a 10+ turn period to recoup his losses, he's pretty much done for. And the only way he's going to get that is with outside assistance.

Lingchih
August 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I've messed around with Tir na n'Og in SP, and they look really fun. I haven't had the chance to try them in MP yet.

Digress
August 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Helheim is using a healthy gem income, perhaps with some help from someone, to keep C'tis well and truly slapped down - I staled the last turn and that didn't help things (my router blew up late in the evening mid-turn, would you believe it) and then I had a busy day away from a computer.

Combined Wrathful Skies and repeated Rain of Stones destroyed my most capable army almost completely (including some of my very limited number of air mages who would have come in handy).

Helheim has some well equipped SCs running around - fewer than I expected so I imagine there are quite a few hiding out around the place to really pile on the pain shortly.

Have to see about getting the turn in...

Lingchih
August 4th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Yeah, Niefelheim had some well equipped SCs running around at one time. They mostly work for Pangaea now. Must be those naked maeneds in the battlefield. Just too much for the Jarls to resist.

I'm castrating them all from now on.

solo
August 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Tir na N'og, my offer to accept all of your gems will expire this turn. This may be your last chance to part with them, so send them to me quickly, please!

Fal
August 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Lingchih said:
Yeah, Niefelheim had some well equipped SCs running around at one time. They mostly work for Pangaea now. Must be those naked maeneds in the battlefield. Just too much for the Jarls to resist.

I'm castrating them all from now on.

Well Neifelheim had some okay-equipped thugs at one time. It's amazing Pan used charm as main strategy and lasted this long against the mighty double-blessing giants.

Talking about which I might charm a few barbarians myself next turn.

Lingchih
August 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
To paraphrase, "Lingchih sucks at this game". Guilty as charged.

CUnknown
August 10th, 2007, 02:38 AM
To those who steal the lifeblood of Gaia for their own nefarious purposes: The Barbarian Hoards of Ulm are aware of your vile existence and are coming soon to end it.

CUnknown
August 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hail C'tis, the brave nation that fights against the dark evil of Helheim! I would like to know the best way to help you - it seems that to help you defend against evil I must trample on your ancestral lands. But, I have been attacked by Helheim's numerous longdead riders several times now, and I wish to strike back against this grave threat with you.

Digress
August 14th, 2007, 03:12 AM
C'tis is a broken shell of itself. Bled dry by a misguided venture into the sea and then economically crippled by ghost riders and werewolves C'tis has now suffered the loss of her pretender. One army destroyed by a combination of Curse of Stones and Wrathful Skies and a second routs around its god when facing a bunch of Earth Elementals, rather pathetic really.

The sauromancers of C'tis fade back into history (rather abruptly http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/fear.gif) with only the slightest remnant of pride when observing the diseased, cursed and horror marked god of Helheim.

C'tis has been set to AI.

Lingchih
August 18th, 2007, 12:08 AM
The mighty giants of Niefelheim, having become bored of their war with Pangaea, have launched a new campaign against the slimy, good for nothing pawns of Atlantis.

In our first glorious battle... we got our asses kicked. Wish my scout had told me about all the ghosts. Oh well, one of my Jarls won the death match anyway. Not that anyone but C'tis decided to come to it. It will give the scribes something good to write about:

Neifelheim Times, page 1 story:
"Hjlprek wins the Death Match. Becomes new Champion of the World!"

page 16 story:
"Niefelheim armies suffer slight setback in war with Atlantis"

solo
August 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
First gone, the broken shell of C'tis, who once dared to enter the seas of Atlantis.

Joining them next in a watery grave and a vanquished homeland, were the misguided Sidhe warriors of Tir na N'og.

Oh, befuddled giants, can you not foretell your certain fate after witnessing these events?

Fal
August 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hehe I can't seem to remember Atlantis dare move a finger before Tir had that terrible tragedy. I hope people make good use of my water breathing artifacts http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Turned myself AI this turn and sorry for stalling. Good luck everyone.

Lingchih
August 19th, 2007, 01:54 AM
solo said:

Oh, befuddled giants, can you not foretell your certain fate after witnessing these events?

Nuts

Lingchih
August 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Carlosib is on vacation. I don't think he posted this anywhere, but he PM'd me. That's why he staled last turn, and will stale again this turn. I believe he will be back after that.

Lingchih
August 22nd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Those giant earth elemental summons make excellent combat practice Atlantis. Please keep sending them my way. I need to get my heroes back up on the charts.

solo
August 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Celebrate while you can!

I'll get those guys one way or another!

Lingchih
September 2nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Yep, you got 'em. The old-fashioned way. You beat them to death.

solo
September 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Conserves my supply of earth gems, too!

CUnknown
September 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Helheim--

Some nice moves by the way! But I had a question about the Wraith Lord you've got set up with Mage Bane. When he dies (even in friendly dominion), he should lose all of his equipment, right? I went to try and re-build Mage Bane but it says the artifact is in play already. How is that possible?

CUnknown
September 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Mists of Deception - Exploit!

Helheim, that was complete BS man.. What's the deal with Mists of Deception, why doesn't that spell end when all your guys have either fled or been killed? That's an exploit.. I would be embarassed to use tactics like that, if I were you. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/evil.gif

Lingchih
September 8th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Ahhh, those Ashen Angels don't seem to deal too well with skellie spam. I'll keep that in mind in the future Atlantis.

Of course, it took me three dead commanders to learn that, but what the hell.

solo
September 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM
They also have that nasty habit of sometimes attacking and killing the spellcaster!

Lingchih
September 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Well, I'm about done. Atlantis is running roughshod over me, and it looks like they are doing the same to Pangaea. I have a couple of tricks left up my sleeve, and will probably play a few more turns, but I can't really see me able to push Atlantis back into the ocean.

I don't know how it is going in the south, but whoever is winning, watch out for Atlantis. They are getting very powerful, and will have my lands and castles as well in 3-5 turns.

-Niefelheim

carlosib
September 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Same here, Pangaea isn't going to win this game. Looks like the war with Niefelheim left us both in a losing position, but it was fun tough http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif
Anyway, i'll keep playing cause this is the first time i get to try some spells and i was looking forward to that.
Atlantis is powerful, but so is Ulm...there'll be some nice battles in the future, my guess is this game is far from finished...

CUnknown
September 19th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I (Ulm) am winning in the south, but it is very tough going. Helheim was quiet all game, but he had some power up his sleeve. I guess having Forge of the Ancients active for 40+ turns can do that! I know I complained about one of his tactics, but the truth is he is doing an excellent job against me, considering I am about three times his size.

My main army is moving at a snail's pace, so I've actually taken to just using my stealthy national troops to raid him. Since he took death-3 (you did, right Helheim?) his income has got to be basically zero (after upkeep) right now, so I think I can wear him down over the next 10-15 turns or so.

If Niefelheim is dying in 5 turns, that means I have sort of a problem.. 90 provinces wins this game, right? I hope I have enough provinces to prevent Atlantis from winning after Niefelheim is dead.. I need to sit down and count.

Lingchih
September 19th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Nahh. I can last longer than 5 turns. If it is important to the game, I can probably last 10-12 turns. I was only saying that because the game has become a bit stale to me, with no real offense against Atlantis. My castles will take a while to besiege, and none are under siege as of yet. I'll hold out for a while yet.

Lingchih
September 19th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Oh, BTW Atlantis. I'm sending my God into battle. Gird yourselves. He is a nasty character.

solo
September 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I will squash him with a secret weapon!

llamabeast
September 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
What's your secret weapon?

solo
September 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
That's a secret. That's why I can call it a secret weapon.

Lingchih
September 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Actually you could squash him with a well-placed blow from a fly-swatter. He's umm, not quite up to Niefel Giant standards as far as size goes. The servants occasionally step on him accidentally.

What he lacks in size, me makes up for with ferocity though!

solo
September 19th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Chances are I will snare your mighty mouse if I bait my trap with some green cheese.

Lingchih
September 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Mmmm. Green cheese. Sounds tasty. Is it nice and smelly? Where might I find this green cheese?

solo
September 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM
No need to fret or search. Delivery of bait to your home province is included at no extra charge.

CUnknown
September 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Has Helheim staled the last two turns? I think he's given up. In that case, he should be dead shortly! Lingchih, there's no reason to keep playing if you'd rather not.. just letting you know.

solo
September 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Just this turn, I think.

I think you have the province lead at the moment, CUnknown, so there's no need to panic yet!

Lingchih, e9n9 is quite a bless. Smaug can cast some pretty good battle spells, too! It's a good thing for me that your ranks of blessed giants were depleted in your war with Pangaea before I came ashore. Too many more of them running amuck in that last battle would have turned the tide in your favor.

CUnknown
September 20th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Oh, I'm not panicking! I am feeling pretty dang unstoppable actually. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

But unless we're at war, I can't control how many provinces you take, solo. Really, it's a race to the finish at this point, unless we decide to take military action against each other. Which.. bwhaha.. could happen any turn now.. We don't have a NAP or anything, do we? I can't remember. Hehe..

Lingchih
September 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks Solo. That was my last hurrah though, and it failed. Only a scant handful of Jarls left, and not enough money to buy any more. And you've overrun me on several fronts. I might continue a few more turns... or I might go AI. I'll decide later tonite.

Smaug was scripted to keep casting earthquake, btw, but he decided to use up all of his earth gems to cast just one time without any fatigue. I'm not sure how to stop him from doing that.

Lingchih
September 21st, 2007, 12:23 AM
OK. I've decided to play a few more turns. It's just too much fun battling Atlantis... even though I don't have much left to battle with.

But you know... Niefel Giants don't die easily. And we fight to the last Giant. And Smaug is extremely pissed off right now.

solo
September 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Niefelheim is also tremendous fun to fight against, but Giants are getting hard to locate now. Even so, I've decided to play a few more turns, too.

Smaug should learn to control his temper during the heat of battle. Anger clouds the judgement and this can result in poor decisions.

CUnknown
September 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM
"Even so, I've decided to play a few more turns, too."

You were thinking of leaving the game as well? I didn't realize that.

llamabeast
September 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
As I understand it spellcasters can only use at most one more than the required number of gems for a spell. So you can take that into account. No way of stopping them doing that, annoyingly.

solo
September 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
CUnknown said:
"Even so, I've decided to play a few more turns, too."

You were thinking of leaving the game as well? I didn't realize that.

Well, if Niefelheim is vanquished, Pangaea admits defeat, and then you set yourself to AI, why continue?

carlosib
September 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Well, even if i don't think i'll win this game it doesnt mean it has lost it's fun at all. I think i can still influence the outcome of this game some way.
I dont think Ulm is going AI, in fact i think he's the future winner of this game.

CUnknown
September 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Oh! Yeah.. When you said you might leave the game, I thought that meant you were surrendering to me. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

There's no way I'm giving up when I'm so close to victory!

Lingchih
September 25th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Niefelheim is going AI next turn unless someone needs me to stay in the game for some reason. No Jarls left, and I can't even afford the upkeep on my useless lesser giant armies.

It was great fun though... the longest game I've ever played in MP (except for Perpetuality, I guess, where I am still a bit player). I learned a lot in this game that I can hopefully apply to future games.

Good luck to all left.

CUnknown
September 25th, 2007, 01:38 AM
It was fun, Lingchih! Hope to see you around in future games.

solo
September 25th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Lingchih, I would like to see you remain in the game long enough to send me all your gems and magic items!

Seriously though, it's been fun and I'm sorry to see you leave and go AI.

By the way, I am also a bit on the sidelines in Perpetuality, but am still quite optimistic. I expect the big guns to go after each other fairly soon. Meanwhile you and I could form a secret alliance and then mop up after they all destroy each other!

carlosib
September 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Lingchih, i wish you wouldnt go AI, it was a nice having a friendly nation in the game.
Good luck and see you in the next one! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Lingchih
September 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, I'm playing one more turn expressly to send presents to my friends.

And don't worry Solo. We've made for Atlantis a giant, wooden seahorse sculpture. Please wheel it into your home citadel, and no need to keep a guard on it of course.

solo
September 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
So much honor you bestow upon my nation by gifting such a priceless artifact!

Unfortunately, the sandy sea bottom leading to my capital can not easily accomodate your wheeled contraption. Rather than have your gift get stuck and be wasted, is not it better that you use one of the landlubbers' paved or cobbled roadways to ensure a safe delivery elsewhere?

For myself, I am prepared to make this sacrifice and would be content to receive just a few minor trinkets and all your gems!

Lingchih
September 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Niefelheim is now AI controlled. Gobble up what provinces you can, though I think Atlantis is in place to take most of the good ones.

Thanks for a great game, and look forward to seeing you all in a future one.

-Lingchih

solo
October 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Congrats to Cnknown and a game well played!

Thanks to all the others for an interesting game. I look forward to seeing all of you in future games.

carlosib
October 9th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Mmmmm solo are you leaving the game? It really surprises me since you had a nice position. Am i missing smething?

solo
October 9th, 2007, 09:17 AM
No way, I wish I had had a little more time to present more of a challenge above water!

Contrary to the game report, I did not miss the last turn, which hosted last night. When I looked at my move, things looked fine until I noticed that my Pretender and all my units were gone! Then I noticed that Ulm's god had ascended, so game over, I'm afraid!

AreWeInsaneYet
October 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Oh, so that is over?
Hmm...probably a good news after all http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

It's a funny game which my original target was to surviving 40 turns and defeat one nation. My first MP ends up much better - Thank you all and I'd like to play with you guys again (when I have time)! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

carlosib
October 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Why did he ascend? ahh...maybe he got 60% of the provinces, i didn't remember about that.
It was a nice game but i'm kinda sad cause i was ready to try master enslave and undead mastering and never got the chance http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
Anyway, congratulations CUnknown!!!! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

CUnknown
October 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Yes, I think I just barely hit the 60% mark this turn, because I noticed that although I took some of solo's provinces, he took several of mine as well. And Helheim wasn't dead yet and I bet he was preparing for another charge! I almost wish we could play a few more turns to see how it unfolded.

Atlantis definitely had some power, many tartarians and some massive underwater defenses. It would have been fun to see our armies fight..

Well played game all around! Someone should host another one for us. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif Any volunteers? Maybe I will do it. Or maybe we should wait until the next patch comes out.

lch
October 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
CUnknown said:
Well played game all around! Someone should host another one for us. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/wink.gif Any volunteers? Maybe I will do it. Or maybe we should wait until the next patch comes out.

The next patch *is* out. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif I have updated my server to 3.10 and I can host a game for you if you get one together.

Lingchih
October 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Congrats CUnknown. I wish I had been able to hold out to the end.