PDA

View Full Version : Crushing the tutorial :P

gorckat
May 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Wow- first: SP is AWESOME! I got into People's Tactics for awhile, but it wasn't quite what I wanted. I grew up on Avalon Hill games like Tactics II, Firepower and MBT and SP hits the mark and then some!

Anyway- after 3 attempts at winning the tutorial with something better than a Marginal Victory, I finally discovered the secret weapon...smoke! It never entered my mind to use it heavily, even though the walk-through says the Iraqi tanks don't have thermal.

I planned a massive smoke wall between the Rough patches just before the objective ridge. Three turns of this, making adjustments to fill the gaps, and the Iraqis never got a shot off first from the ridge.

My Apaches made a first turn sweep through the rear of the Iraqi position, but didn't see anything (I guess the scenario calls for Iraqi units to arrive turns two/three?). They picked off the AA units shortly after they arrived, while watching over the ridgeline.

One tank platoon made a run along the top edge of the map and would later top the ridge there under cover of their own smoke, completely wrecking the tanks hiding behind the ridge.

The rest of my forces (except two M901s, who hung back in overwatch from the high ground- many kills for those two!) made a hard push up the middle, between the soft sand and rough spots. Artillery provided smoke cover up to the ridgeline, and tank fired smoke masked the going over.

Most of my artillery started dropping the hammer on the rough area just below the VP hexes after the smoke was laid down. Life was miserable for infantry units trying to advance or retreat through it.

Only one of my soldiers fell, picked off while debarking a Bradley (forgot to pin the other guys down first).

Finally score was something like 9700 points for me, 2 for the AI. A turkey shoot it was, but the planning and execution was a blast!

Brummbar
May 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Welcome to SP. It is one the greatest game's that I have ever played. These forums are very helpful and the people here are great too.

Nice AAR btw.

Cheer's
Jimi

PanzerBob
May 4th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Welcome to my obsession!!

Sgt_Walrus
May 19th, 2008, 01:05 AM
...and you think playing against the AI is good :-)
Wait until you try the PBEM aspect of the game.
Playing a human really brings this game alive... the scenarios are great practice and great fun, as are the campaigns...but the first time you beat a human in a PBEM...you'll never go back.
If you are interested, check out www.theblitz.org (http://www.theblitz.org) it's the best place to find other PBEM SP commanders online.

Welcome to our world and happy gaming.
Cheers
SGT