PDA

View Full Version : DAR: Russia

RERomine
June 17th, 2009, 09:43 PM
US vs. Russia

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Moscow Region, 6/2009 - grouped objectives.

Enemy: Reinforced Battalion - 2-3 Armor Co, 2-3 Mech Infantry Co, 2-4 Artillery Btry, plus SAM, AAA, ATGM, etc. Average force experience, ~70.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Lightly wooded terrain with a few low hills. Some single tree hexes does not block LOS. There is one stream running from northwest to southeast. The map is relatively busy with roads. Two roads run from the east to west across the map. One is a straight dirt road all the way across within 150m of the south edge. The other is a more centrally located paved road with curves. There is a generally straight railroad extending from the northern edge of the enemy deployment zone to the southern end of the friendly deployment zone. Roughly parallel to this and 2km to the west is a dirt road. It spends most of it's time in the friendly deployment zone and exits the west central edge of the map. Because of the stream and the number of roads, there are seven bridge hexes. There are about a dozen building clusters scattered about the map, most of them between the deployment zones and along roads. Visibility = 5.

Troops: Battalion sized Task Force - 1 NG Armor Co. (14xM1A2), 3 Mech Infantry Co. (NG Infantry in M113A3 APCs), 3 Artillery Btry (On board, 8xM109A6s and 4xM1129s), 2 SP-SAM sections, 2 SPAA sections, 2 AH-64D attack helos, plus recon, ammo supply and a few other assorted HHC units. Average force experience, ~80

Time: 20 Turns

Analysis

An initial observation is one of the objective groups is IN the enemy deployment zone!! The other more distant objective groups are within 200m and 400m of their deployment line. If I were in the AI's position, I would set up defensively and say, "Come and get them". I know that won't happen, however.

The northern third of the map is relatively open, aside from two villages near the enemy deployment zone and one small hill near mine. There is a tree line in the middle of this area. Some blocks LOS and some don't. Given the general openness of the area, it doesn't seem like a good area for either side to move through. At least here, the stream is well behind the LD, so forces could be posted east of it easily. It doesn't really pose a hindrance to either side. Roads aren't of much use here either, at least not if you want to stay in the area. Two roads (one being a railroad) going to the southwest cross the northern section. The AI could use them to concentrate an attack on my center, where I could use them as a means to quickly spread out or shift reserves.

The center of the map is dominated by a large, somewhat round, wooded area about 2km across. It starts in well into my deployment zone and extends the center of the map. The east-west paved road passes through the southern edge of these woods. Since I will get first move and the woods start in my deployment zone, I can easily take up positions in them before the enemy can. The only real annoyance is the stream. It bisects these woods almost evenly from northwest to southeast. The bridge I would need to cross is 600m outside of my deployment zone. It should be easy enough to get some units across on turn 1, I don't like choke points. Control of the woods would allow a central axis of advance and the ability to fan out on the other side to move on the objectives. There is are a couple of small villages in a small wooded area about 300m southwest of one objective group. This would work as a nice jumping off point to capture the objective group if I can get to it before the enemy does. Further east, the objective group in the enemy deployment zone is tucked between two hills. The enemy will have control over them almost immediately. They will provide decent visibility as long as the enemy units have some TI or night vision capability.

Down south, there is an east-west dirt road and it's straight as an arrow, at least between both LDs. In the center, there is a small cluster of trees that the stream passes through. On the friendly side of the map right at the LD, there is a small hill that allow visibility as far as TI will allow. The enemy has a few sparsely spread out trees around the road in their deployment zone. Those trees are the the southern edge of a small woods which is almost entirely in the enemy deployment zone. Just outside the woods to the northwest is the southern objective group. Just to the northeast of the objectives is a hill. Because of the stream, any approach from this area would have to cross either the road bridge in the south or the railroad bridge 600m to the northwest. The stream could also be crossed, but I ran a 50% mire rate in my first battle. Before anyone wigs out, I tried to cross with two units and one got stuck :D

Since the enemy all but have ownership of the objectives, I'm going to let them have them. Any attempt to capture them will cost more than they are worth, which is a total of 1365pts (65pts x 21 flags). What is that, three MBTs? I will lose more than that if I rush out to get them. Keep in mind it is a battle and not a game of "capture the flag". The plus side is the AI will more than likely not just defend the objectives. I fully expect the enemy forces to come out to play :D

Plan

My plan is fairly basic. Two infantry companies will move into the woods in the center of the map near my deployment zone. One will deploy on the north side facing north and northeast. The other company will deploy on the east side of the woods facing roughly east and southeast. They will be supported by one tank platoon and the tank command section. The tanks will deploy on a hill between the two infantry companies, but back away from the edge to avoid ATGM fire. Anyone coming up on the hill will be engaged by the armor and the armor will be in a position to shift support to either infantry company.

The remaining company will have one platoon deployed in the north sector, moving to take a position on or behind the hill just east of my deployment zone. A second platoon will take a position in the woods in the southern sector, covering the dirt road there. Supporting each of these platoons will be one tank platoon. The third infantry platoon and the gunships will be held in reserve behind the central woods with the intent of supporting either the southern or northern platoons as needed. Once it is determined where the enemy's main effort will be, units in the north or south will be shifted as needed.

Recon with TI will cover gaps in the positions.

The overall objective is to ambush an attacking enemy force and destroy it. Capturing the flags is a secondary interest. If the enemy gets routed and there is time, I'll go after the objectives as more of a mopping up procedure.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.

RERomine
June 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire from either side.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.

RERomine
June 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Turn 1

Units moving in to position. From their initial position, I was unable to get any units safely across the bridge in the southern portion of the central woods. I could have pushed a couple across, but I road is very straight and open to the enemy side. I felt leaving units on the road would be a careless move.

Two enemy T-90As approaching on the dirt road in the southern sector.

Casualties

RERomine
June 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Turn 2

No real enemy activity in the northern sector, but there is an enemy recon platoon on the boundary between the it and the center sector.

Things are basically FUBAR in the center section. Enemy T-90As had a clear view of the bridge across the stream, so I couldn't get any units across. I had a FO check before I blundered my force back onto the road. One platoon dismounted and is advancing on foot south of the road. The other two platoons moved north of the road and have advanced to the stream. My tanks are holding position 150m west of the bridge. Artillery was called in on the advancing enemy column destroying one T-90A. Unfortunately, there are eight more.

I had better luck with the company moving into position in the north part of the woods. They were already in the woods and have advanced far enough and are dismounting. Another enemy recon platoon is heading toward the hill my armor was going to deploy on.

On the dirt road to the south, six T-90As and three T-62M1Vs were advancing. Their numbers have been thinned a bit by artillery and AT teams. Two T-62M1Vs and one T-90A were destroyed.

Casualties

Enemy: Two T-90A and two T-62M1V tanks destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Turn 3

North Sector: Two enemy GAZ-3937 APCs were engaged, destroying one and immobilizing the other. A combination of tank and AT team fire destroyed four BRDM-2s in the central sector.

Central Sector: Enemy tanks have pushed forward to the bridge. One is on the bridge and three are next to it. Two additional T-90As and one BMP-1M were destroyed. I've lost sight of one tank. The tanks traded fire with my AT teams, destroying two. When the enemy tanks moved forward to the bridge, they were assaulted by infantry without effect. Artillery was dropped onto the road, but most of the enemy had cleared out.

South Sector: Two more T-90As and one T-62M1V were destroyed by artillery and AT team fire. I'm pulling back two of my AT teams because they are just about out of missiles. M1A2s have pulled up behind the hill and infantry has dismounted in the woods. My two gunships from the reserve section have moved over, but the reserve platoon is holding in the center for now.

Casualties

Friendly: Four casualties.

Enemy: Four T-90As, one T-62M1V, four BRDM-2s, one BMP-1M and one GAZ-3937 destroyed, estimated 40 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Turn 4

North Sector: Destroyed three BRDM-2s and pounded on some scout units with my tanks. My AT teams are almost out of missiles and are pulling back for resupply. I will reposition my tanks next turn. Enemy artillery can't be too far into the future.

Central Sector: All four enemy tanks on or around the bridge have been destroyed. A combination of AT teams, infantry assaults and M1A2 fire was too much. A fifth was destroyed farther back. Somewhere, there is one last T-90A. I lost track of it last turn and don't know where it is. There is the FOW some people talk about. I'm moving my units out of the contact point because enemy artillery is likely soon. Two enemy BRDM-2s have penetrated into the woods and beyond my main infantry line. I can either swarm them with M113s or get my gunships after them.

South Sector: Destroyed last three T-90As in the area, plus the last T-62M1V. All I see now are retreating crews. I'm pulling back here for resupply as well.

Comments: I guess I'm not finding the T-90A to be the big, bad boogieman that it has been described as being. They burn as well as any other tanks. Out of 15 seen, 14 have been destroyed by artillery, Javelins, M1A2 fire and one good, old fashioned infantry assault. My tanks, which are curiously defined as "obsolete" destroyed six and were fired at once. It missed. My gunships did pepper them with some 30mm, but they didn't fire any missiles.

Casualties

Enemy: Eight T-90As, one T-62M1V and three BRDM-2s, estimated 30 enemy casualties.

I'm done for tonight. Here are some screen prints of some ill-treated Russian tanks.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Turn 5

North Sector: M1A2s engaged a few scouts in the center sector and then pulled back. AT teams have also pulled back and are resupplying.

Central Sector: Two enemy BRDM-2s in woods were destroyed by gunships. Enemy artillery is starting to hit around the bridge. One AT team was destroyed, but most units have gotten away from the bridge.

South Sector: AT teams and tanks have pulled back for resupply. Recon unit spotted one T-90A on the road, but lost sight of it later. Enemy artillery pounded area 200m forward of the south objective group. It's treating it more like it is assaulting deep into enemy territory rather than trying to capture something on their door step.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: Two BRDM-2s destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Turn 6

North Sector: Resupply underway. Called in artillery on the immobilized GAZ.

Central Sector: AT team took out one Zeus and fired small arms at some enemy scouts. One enemy T-90A spotted 200m east of north end of woods, facing east! Must be confused, because it is in a "ready" status. Called in artillery on two AT BRDMs, but they moved before impact. Almost got another T-90A that moved in after they left. More enemy artillery around the bridge.

South Sector: Resupply underway. Recon unit spotted T-90A again on the road 150m west of the bridge.

Casualties

Enemy: One ZSU-23-4M4 destroyed, estimated 5 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Turn 7

North Sector: Resupply underway.

Central Sector: Took at the immobilized GAZ with a Javelin. AT teams also go another Zeus. They fired at the two enemy T-90As in the area, but did no damage. Three more showed up, heading down the road to the bridge again. An enemy scout actually penetrated my positions in the woods and made it to the stream. Unfortunately for him, he popped out of the trees 100m from my gunships. They were hanging out there after dispatching the enemy BRDMs a few turns back.

South Sector: Resupply underway. Pulled my recon unit back of the road, consequently losing sight of the T-90A again.

Casualties

Enemy: One ZSU-23-4M4 and one GAZ-3937 destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Turn 8

North Sector: AT teams completed resupply, so the infantry platoon is moving back to the center reserve area. The M1A2s are still resupplying. One of the central T-90As moved into their LOS however and was engaged resulting in an immobilization.

Central Sector: Started moving my tanks back up since we are expecting more company. One AT team took a few shots at the AT BRDMs, but missed. Another one popped off at a T-90A with better success. It's burning. Artillery was called in and was more effective.

South Sector: AT teams completed resupply and moved back up on the hill. No matter. The lone T90A on the road got too bold. It crested the hill and got taken out by two M1A2s on the back side. Another T-90A was spotted near the south objective group.

Casualties

Enemy: Two T-90As and one BRDM-2 Konkurs destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Turn 9

North Sector: M1A2s engaged and destroyed the immobilized T-90A. It helped that it was facing the wrong way when it was immobilized. Since my resupply point had been spotted, I decided not to loiter in the area. Good move, since artillery started falling where they had been.

Central Sector: Started pulling my infantry and AT teams back here since they had been stinging the enemy forces and their position was know. Also a good choice. Artillery started dropping there as well. Two enemy T-90As pushed into the woods on the road, where one was destroyed by an infantry assault. The other one decided to scoot. My artillery continued to fall, taking out two more AT BRDMs.

South Sector: Shifted my forces again figuring I would attract more attention after destroying the T-90A on the hill. Enemy tanks in platoon strength now moving toward railroad bridge.

Casualties

Enemy: Two T-90As and two BRDM-2 Konkurs destroyed, estimated 15 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Turn 10

North Sector: M1A2s resumed resupply, behind a hill further from the line. Infantry platoon continuing to reserve area.

Central Sector: More enemy artillery, but no damage. Mine immobilized a T-90A in the woods next to the intersection of the central road and the railroad.

South Sector: Moved units in position to engage three enemy T-90As if they continue to moved forward. They didn't. Instead, they engaged an AT team on a hill in the center woods.

Casualties

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Turn 11

North Sector: M1A2s continuing resupply. Infantry platoon continuing to reserve area. One enemy squad approaching from the east.

Central Sector: Shifting positions in woods. One AT team destroyed a BMP-1 east of the woods.

South Sector: Engaged enemy T-90As with gunships. No effect other than to wake up some unseen Zeuses. I moved the gunships back to the reserve area. Destroyed on tank with an AT team that had moved up.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-90A and one BMP-1M destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Turn 12

North Sector: M1A2s continuing resupply. Moved back a recon unit I had watching the area. The enemy squad is getting too close. Popped smoke and took a few shoots through it, but didn't hit the enemy.

Central Sector: AT team destroyed another BMP-1M, this time on the hill at the edge of the woods. Moving some infantry forward to get that T-90A immobilized by the railroad tracks. He's buttoned and alone. Enemy artillery hit the woods near the hill.

South Sector: AT teams engaged enemy T-90A in woods about 500m east of the stream, immobilizing it. My AT units are bugging out now. They've fired two turns in a row from the same positions. Russian artillery can't be far off. Shifted one M1A2 section to try to get a shot at the enemy Zeuses, but no luck. The Zeuses and two T-90As are still approaching.

Casualties

Friendly: One.

Enemy: One BMP-1M destroyed, estimated 5 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Turn 13

North Sector: M1A2s continuing resupply. My recon unit took a few shots at an enemy squad last turn and the enemy responds with 122mm stuff. At least I pulled them back.

Central Sector: More enemy artillery in the woods, pinning one platoon, but otherwise ineffective. I've got five squads after that immobilized T-90A. Managed to rattle their cage, but no joy. Enemy infantry showed up in the area, but my infantry got the drop on them. There was a nice little fire fight around that tank. The crew had enough, bailed and go out of Dodge.

South Sector: AT teams still pulling back, but nailed one T-90A with a parting shot. There is one left mobile and one immobilized. The Zeuses are still coming.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-90A destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Turn 14

North Sector: M1A2s continuing resupply. Recon pulled back further as enemy artillery increased on their old position. One enemy squad crested the hill and may be at risk of getting hit by their own artillery next turn.

Central Sector: Spotted a BMP-1M out front of the woods heading northeast. Nothing I could really do, but I had to move some of my SP mortars. I though it possible the BMP-1 could round the north edge and get some shots off before I could destroy it. As it swung around the north end, one of my AT teams popped it. Most of my squads attacking the immobilized T-90A pulled back. Two M1A2s moved up and inspired the enemy infantry to leave faster. One friendly squad moved into the hex with the empty tank and cooked it. No sense leaving it incase the crew comes back. A BMP-2PG moved in right next to the squad, but didn't even seem to notice it. My squad ignored the BMP also. They all must be getting tired. One T-72B and a scout team moved onto the hill on the east side of the woods. Again, no one is shooting.

South Sector: Scout team engaged last mobile T-90A in the area without effect. The tank is on the railroad bridge right now. Enemy infantry seen moving in from the east. Zeuses are hanging out by the stream.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-90A and one BMP-1M destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Turn 15

North Sector: Crested one of the back hills with two M1A2s and pounded the advancing enemy squad. It took quite a beating.

Central Sector: Destroyed enemy BMP-2PG that showed up next to my squad. Two more came down the road and were popped by the M1A2s that hit enemy infantry last turn. AT teams engaged two T-72Bs, immobilizing one. Enemy artillery is hitting my infantry on the hill on the east side of the woods hard. My artillery had been resupplying, but I moved them to isolated locations so they can engage the enemy armor moving around without brining in enemy artillery on the resupply point.

South Sector: Scout team pulled back to get away from the enemy T-90A. It came through the woods and they assaulted it, without effect. I tried to move some M1A2s in position to help, but they can't get a view of the area without risking moving into the open. I've got an AT team moving in from the north and they might be able to help soon. One Zeus moved west of the stream. I should be able to get it next turn.

Casualties

Enemy: Three BMP-1Ms destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Turn 16

North Sector: M1A2s hit the enemy infantry squad again and then pulled out. Two more popped up and destroyed the T-72B that had been immobilized. Enemy artillery started dropping where my tanks had engaged the infantry from. It's always a good idea to shift after you've fired a turn or two.

Central Sector: AT team traded shots with a T-72B in the woods without effect on either side. One enemy scout ran into my infantry line in the woods and was dispatched. Trying to pull back my platoon that has been getting hit by artillery. At least that finally stopped.

South Sector: Moved my tanks up and popped one Zeus. The other one has moved to a blind spot 500m west of the stream. I called in artillery on it and the immobilized T-90A on the east side of the stream. Two scout units ganged up on the T-90A on the west side of the stream and nailed it with a rear AT shot. A recon unit watching the area opened up on the enemy infantry moving across the stream. Not really what I wanted, but no real harm.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-72B Rogatka, one T-90A and one ZSU-23-4M4 destroyed, estimated 15 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Turn 17

North Sector: More enemy artillery that didn't amount to anything but smoke and noise.

Central Sector: Pulling back infantry in woods. No sense being too far forward. Enemy artillery hitting area where AT team was located, causing suppression but nothing more. Another enemy scout popped through and was rudely handled.

South Sector: The reward for the scout team that destroyed the T-90A; lots and lots of artillery. My artillery finally took care of the T-90A immobilized east of the stream and the last Zeus blundered into the LOS of one of my tanks. I let my scout take some more shots at the approaching enemy infantry, but it's probably time to disengage.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-90A and one ZSU-23-4M4 destroyed, estimated 10 enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Turn 18

North Sector: Armor started moving out to the reserve point.

Central Sector: Still pulling back. Enemy T-72B pushed alone into the woods so I swarmed it with infantry. I managed a mobility kill on it, so the crew bailed. They didn't get far.

South Sector: Pulling back to reserve point. Enemy artillery continued falling and managed to destroy an AT team.

Casualties

Friendly: Two.

Enemy: Three.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Turn 19

North Sector: Armor moving out to the reserve point.

Central Sector: Still pulling back. Torched the abandon T-72B.

South Sector: Pulling back to reserve point. Scout teams dispatched a retreating enemy crew.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-72B Rogatka destroyed, three enemy casualties.

RERomine
June 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Decisive Victory!!!!

Turn 20

North Sector: Empty except for two recon units keeping an eye on things. No activity.

Central Sector: The enemy pounded the area around that abandoned tank I destroyed and caught a few squads in the area.

South Sector: Tanks and infantry pulling back. No activity otherwise.

Casualties

Total Casualties

US

Men: 22
Artillery: 0
Soft Vehicles: 0
APCs: 0
AFVs: 0
Air Transports/Helos: 0
Aircraft: 0

Russia

Men: 162
Artillery: 0
Soft Vehicles: 0
APCs: 18
AFVs: 36
Air Transports/Helos: 0
Aircraft: 0

Score

US: 18561
Russia: 2035

Final Comments

This wasn't really a difficult battle because I didn't do more than was necessary to win it. A review of the map after the battle did show there were enough Russian ATGM teams around that going after the objective groups would have cost more than it would have been worth. Some people might say it wasn't a victory because I didn't capture any flags. To that I would say it wasn't a meeting engagement because some flags were in the Russian deployment zone.

I would have gone after the flags if it was necessary to do so, but when only total up to about 6% of the total enemy force points, why bother? It might be nice if the flag points were a percentage of the force points used for one or both sides. Even at 1% per flag based on just my force points would have given the Russians over 5000 points unless I fought for the flags. There would have been no decisive victory without at least some of them. While I understand why the flags when grouped are closer to player 2's deployment zone, it would be nice if they weren't partially in it. Had I been fighting a person instead of the AI, this battle would have been a bear to win. How about making sure the grouped objectives are no closer to player 2's deployment line than 10% the width of the map? At least they then have to come out and get them and player 1 has a chance to cover them with fire before player 2 gets there. Make objectives worth fighting for and make the fight fair.

The fight overall wasn't difficult and my plan was 80% successful. I didn't expect the AI to lead out with tanks and be able to cover the center bridge with fire before I could get across. My tanks never got into position, but I got my infantry there on foot. The bottom edge road was active this time. You can never be sure with the AI. In my first battle, there was a similar road and they never touched it. The northern edge was fairly quiet this battle. Overall, it was a good battle. The AI came out to fight and being careful kept my casualties light.

I've attached the save just before I ended my last turn. Enjoy!