PDA

View Full Version : RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR II - Multiplayer "User vs AI" Campaign

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I inadvertently started this thread in the winSPMBT section so I am reposting it here where it belongs. :doh:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have started this new thread so we have a single place to post for the actual campaign. For those only "kinda" following along this is basically a group operational level game where each player takes the role of a commander and will play their "unit's role" through custom User Campaign's designed specifically for their unit.

For more information please refer to and read through this thread;

vs AI Tournament (Actually a Campaign) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47265)

Next, here is the draft campaign overview;

RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR II**

April - May 1930.**

The Russian Civil War basically ended with the surrender of General Anatoly Pepelyayev and his White forces in the Far Eastern Ayano-Maysky District on June 1923. As the Red Army slowly pushed the Whites out of Siberia many commanders made their escape, along with a good portion of the men to safe haven among the US and British possession in the Pacific. Many more were given refuge in northern Japan where they continued to be armed and trained for their eventual return to the Russian mainland. The regions of Kamchatka and Northern Sakhalin remained under Japanese occupation until their treaty with the Soviet Union in 1925, when their forces were finally withdrawn, however the Japanese continued to eye the region for future conquest.**

It was with the onset of the Great Depression in 1929 that the opportunity finally started to present itself for a return of the White army. The Pitelinskii Uprising in January 1930 and increasing peasant revolts against forced collectivism only encouraged the Japanese to push the Whites harder. Hoping that the Red Army would be too occupied in eastern Europe to do anything this far east the Japanese prodded the Whites to act. **

In late March, 1930 act they did and a large army of White veterans boarded vessels supplied by the Japanese and were successfully landed at Okhotsk along the northern coast of the Sea of Okhotsk. As they quickly overwhelmed the small Red army garrisons in the area their beachhead expanded considerably. In less that 2 weeks they had occupied an area over 100 square kilometers reaching 100 kilometers to the north near Arka, 70 kilometers to to the west at Zapadnyy and 65 kilometers to the east at Ul'beya. Not wanting to be left out of any of the spoils, Japan, the United States and Great Britain quickly dispatched their own forces from nearby bases to "support" the effort in the hopes they could cash in on the considerable resources in the area the Whites had already overrun.**

Slowly the Red Army responded and the first available forces were dispatched by train from bases in central Siberia. Unfortunately, these were essentially small units recruited as personal bodyguards of former Red Army officers who were now nothing more than warlords that kept the peace in their local areas. They were the first to arrive and confront the Whites with promises from the Politburo that more heavily armed and better trained Red Army units would soon follow to finish the job.**

As one of these "warlords" you quickly organize your men and arrange travel to the east by train. You should be in the area assigned to you no later than April 3rd, 1930 and are expected to take up the attack within a day or 2 of arrival, if not sooner. To make sure you do your duty to the state a Commissar and his aide have been assigned to you.**

SPECIAL CAMPAIGN NOTES: **

THE COMMISSAR: The Commissar, his aide and a staff car will accompany your unit everywhere you go. Should you find ways to put the Commissar in position to get "Kills" and thus increase his standing as a true Hero of the Red Army he will make sure that he heaps added praise of your loyalty to the state in his reports to the Regional Commissar. Thus you can expect that you and your men will be given special attention when supplies are issued. This could mean critical access to armor or air support if in the area as well as recruitment of local troops to bolster your ranks. However, if the Commissar unit is killed you can expect to be punished heavily. The exact punishment depends on the whims of the Regional Commissar and could range anywhere from withholding of supplies, being ordered to make attacks you have little if any chance of winning, or even surviving and so on. Basically this means it is in your interest to put the Commissar in position to get easy "Kills" BUT not get him killed in the process.**

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 03:42 AM
If you want to sign up, post your interest in the vs AI Tournament (Actually a Campaign) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47265) thread. I plan to use this thread for "official" communications with active players.

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
OK, here we go;

Attached is the campaign path for Brian61.

Comrade, the train carrying you and your men from your garrison in central Siberia can go no further without risking the safety of the trains due to enemy activity. You are being offloaded with your supplies here at the village of Arka.**

Once you and you men are accounted for, you are ordered to proceed with your force to the railroad bridge east of here where it crosses the River Okhota. Local peasants in the area have informed us that Interventionist forces have advanced farther north than we anticipated since they landed the other week at Okhotsk and are currently setting up defenses in this area. You should reach the river just after dawn however be advised that visibility will be limited due to early morning fog. Once you arrive at the bridge you need to cross the river and secure the bridge as well as the railway leading south as that will be the main route of our northern forces advance. Without the rail in our hands, supplies will be severely restricted as we advance.**

This zip file includes the base campaign frame as well as the 1st full scenario. Install files into your campaign folder. It will occupy campaign slot 041.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that you save the game before the battle ends, ideally the very last turn BEFORE the end result screen is shown. I would recommend saving to alternate slots each turn, just in case.

This is necessary in order to add more battles to the campaign.

Please post your end game screen file here or email it to me at doubledeuce@combat-campaigns.com

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Next up . .

Attached is the campaign path for Skirmisher.

Comrade, now that you and you men are rested, you are ordered to march along the coastal road to Zapadnyy and occupy the village. The village needs to be cleaned out of all opposition as we intend to use it as a staging area to launch further attacks from here in the west. As you attack, Comrade Roman will be clearing the woods north of your position in an attempt to sweep behind the village and cut off the fleeing enemy.**

Local peasants, loyal to the state have reported that the enemy appears to be digging in and preparing to fortify the area. They have also reported seeing enemy aircraft overhead earlier in the day but it is highly unlikely they will be operating at night. Speed is of the essence here.** This zip file includes the base campaign frame as well as the 1st full scenario. Install files into your campaign folder. It will occupy campaign slot 042.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that you save the game before the battle ends, ideally the very last turn BEFORE the end result screen is shown. I would recommend saving to alternate slots each turn, just in case.

Please post your end game screen file here or email it to me at doubledeuce@combat-campaigns.com

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
And the 3rd commander . .

Attached is the campaign path for Roman.

We have just been informed by runner that Comrade Skirmisher will begin his assault on Zapadnyy just after midnight. It is time to rouse your men and begin the advance. You are to sweep east, clearing a path through the woods north of Zapadnyy so that our forces can then sweep around and seal off any retreating White forces as they try to escape from the village.**

Local peasants, loyal to the state have reported hearing engines coming from the woods along your route so be on the lookout for vehicles. The path through the woods must be cleared of any enemy forces.**

This zip file includes the base campaign frame as well as the 1st full scenario. Install files into your campaign folder. It will occupy campaign slot 044.

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Anyone is free to download and play these on their own HOWEVER, please do not post or share any information you find out about the enemy with the players unit AFTER they have finished the battle themselves and I have uploaded the next scenario in their campaign path. ;)

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
For those wanting to follow along at the operational level I recommend Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/). If you do a search for Okhotsk > Region of Khabarovsk, Russia (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Okhotsk&aq=&sll=59.771609,142.987061&sspn=0.844865,2.90863&g=Sea+of+Okhotsk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Okhotsk,+Okhotskiy+rayon,+Region+of+Khabarov sk,+Russia&ll=59.461826,142.926636&spn=0.852692,2.90863&t=p&z=9&iwloc=A) it should place you right in the area. Obviously this link is for the current modern area and we are playing circa 1930. It is only used a general backdrop for the campaign and is for reference only.

Double_Deuce
April 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
OK, looks like I forgot to overwrite the files with Pack Mule to Wagon change for the 82mm Mortars.

Corrected campaign path for Skirmisher is attached . . .

Comrade, now that you and you men are rested, you are ordered to march along the coastal road to Zapadnyy and occupy the village. The village needs to be cleaned out of all opposition as we intend to use it as a staging area to launch further attacks from here in the west. As you attack, Comrade Roman will be clearing the woods north of your position in an attempt to sweep behind the village and cut off the fleeing enemy.**

Local peasants, loyal to the state have reported that the enemy appears to be digging in and preparing to fortify the area. They have also reported seeing enemy aircraft overhead earlier in the day but it is highly unlikely they will be operating at night. Speed is of the essence here.**

This zip file includes the base campaign frame as well as the 1st full scenario. Install files into your campaign folder. It will occupy campaign slot 042.

Brian61
April 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Comrades, the bridge and the railroad have been secured and the Interventionists in the area destroyed. The price was paid in the blood of a few comrades including one of our snipers. Our Commissar, Lt Fierens, was quite brave at the end, assisting in the destruction of the enemy HQ and a weapons crew, unfortunately his weapon was not equal to his bravery and other units nearby were credited with the kills.:doh:

Quite a fun first battle, I was worried everyone would rout at the first shot but fortunately those that did rout were able to be rallied despite my poor rally skills (60!!).

Last turn before end result attached as zip.

Skirmisher
April 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
OK, looks like I forgot to overwrite the files with Pack Mule to Wagon change for the 82mm Mortars.

Corrected campaign path for Skirmisher is attached . . .

Local peasants, loyal to the state have reported that the enemy appears to be digging in and preparing to fortify the area. They have also reported seeing enemy aircraft overhead earlier in the day but it is highly unlikely they will be operating at night. Speed is of the essence here.**

This zip file includes the base campaign frame as well as the 1st full scenario. Install files into your campaign folder. It will occupy campaign slot 042.

OK firstly, I enjoyed the battle.

Secondly, once the battle started and I saw 1930 combat power in all it's glory,I decided to play the wildcard.
I was going to get a kill credited to the Commissar.
I needed the extra help in the long run.

The battle begins and right away one of my Cossak platoons is caught in a crossfire between two snipers.
The rest of the Cossaks and HMG's took them out.
Mortars didn't seem all that effective.

The battle moves into the town proper and there's an HMG,scouts
and several squads of conscripts IDed.

Victory hexes are taken and the scout section of the enemy is down to one man.
The Commissar's driver hits the gas and heads for the secure hex right next to the last scout(who has used all shots for the turn)
An unseen scout section opens up from in town after a couple hexes and the staff car is destroyed.
Marines cover the pinned Commissar with smoke and on the next turn he attacks the scout.
I had turned OFF everybody elses weapons nearby, so they couldn't fire on the scouts.
After two turns of this, the Scout killed the Commissar and the aide.:eek:

Despite this, the attack continued and much of the town taken.

I emailed the final turn.

Roman
April 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM
And the 3rd commander . .

Attached is the campaign path for Roman.

We have just been informed by runner that Comrade Skirmisher will begin his assault on Zapadnyy just after midnight. It is time to rouse your men and begin the advance. You are to sweep east, clearing a path through the woods north of Zapadnyy so that our forces can then sweep around and seal off any retreating White forces as they try to escape from the village.**

Local peasants, loyal to the state have reported hearing engines coming from the woods along your route so be on the lookout for vehicles. The path through the woods must be cleared of any enemy forces.**

This zip file includes the base campaign frame as well as the 1st full scenario. Install files into your campaign folder. It will occupy campaign slot 044.

Hello. And got the files. I played the first mission. I had major losses but the enemy was worse than me. Even killed their HQ. The brave Cossacks deserve a medal.

Roman
April 9th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I had a problem. I was holding the turns until turn 7. Then I got tired and hoped to complete the turn 14. But after 14 turn ended the game. Bone had to do all over again on turn 7. I took more objectives but I lost my sniper and mortar that had not previously lost. :(

Double_Deuce
April 9th, 2011, 03:32 AM
[QUOTE=Double_Deuce;775307] The Commissar's driver hits the gas and heads for the secure hex right next to the last scout(who has used all shots for the turn)
An unseen scout section opens up from in town after a couple hexes and the staff car is destroyed.

. . . .

After two turns of this, the Scout killed the Commissar and the aide.:eek:
Some members of the Politburo aren't going to be happy about that. :D

iCaMpWiThAWP
April 9th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Man, THAT was some really bad luck, i guess i'm using my comissar as an FO

Double_Deuce
April 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
And now for the 4th commander . .

Attached is the campaign path for iCaMpWiThAWP.

Comrade, your forces have passed through Ul'beya and are approaching the objective area. It is imperative that you successfully defend the farmhouse and bridge to stop the enemy's advance as it will be several days until reinforcements from Kamchatka will start to arrive. Until then, you are on your own.**

Based on the speed of the enemy's advance we expect their lead elements to arrive at the bridge sometime around noon. Local peasants have also reported seeing Interventionist ships patrolling along the coast. It is possible that they will shell your position before they launch any ground attack. Unfortunately the peasants have not been so attentive to the makeup of the enemy's ground forces.**

This zip file includes the base campaign frame as well as the 1st full scenario. Install files into your campaign folder. It will occupy campaign slot 043.

iCaMpWiThAWP
April 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Will get to it, should have a report ready for army command tomorrow.
btw, end game screenshot=screenshot at max zoom, or parts of the battle area?
btw²-thanks for the pack mules.:up:

Double_Deuce
April 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hello. And got the files. I played the first mission. I had major losses but the enemy was worse than me. Even killed their HQ. The brave Cossacks deserve a medal.
Do you have the actual save game files? These are screenshots and I need to get into the individual unit info screens.

Double_Deuce
April 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Will get to it, should have a report ready for army command tomorrow.
btw, end game screenshot=screenshot at max zoom, or parts of the battle area?
btw²-thanks for the pack mules.:up:No screenshots, I need the actual save game files from the turn before the game end screen pops up.

Roman
April 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Do you have the actual save game files? These are screenshots and I need to get into the individual unit info screens.

Ok. I am sending you turn 14 and 15. Do not know which it serves.

Roman
April 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM
For those wanting to follow along at the operational level I recommend Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/). If you do a search for Okhotsk > Region of Khabarovsk, Russia (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Okhotsk&aq=&sll=59.771609,142.987061&sspn=0.844865,2.90863&g=Sea+of+Okhotsk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Okhotsk,+Okhotskiy+rayon,+Region+of+Khabarov sk,+Russia&ll=59.461826,142.926636&spn=0.852692,2.90863&t=p&z=9&iwloc=A) it should place you right in the area. Obviously this link is for the current modern area and we are playing circa 1930. It is only used a general backdrop for the campaign and is for reference only.

Now that area is completely urbanized. Earlier in 1930 will have been pure forest.:confused: :D

Double_Deuce
April 10th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Ok. I am sending you turn 14 and 15. Do not know which it serves.Mission 1 roman.rar seems it be the one. Man those Cossacks racked up some kills. :up:

iCaMpWiThAWP
April 10th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Loyal troopers advanced into the farm and secured the areas around the bridge, lake, and northern stream, an enemy light probe soon followed, with cavalry through the woods, motorcycles supported by a machinegun on the road, and a platoon trying to flank our force on the south. The commissar served as artillery spotter, when the MG was discovered, i tried to retreat him and the staff car into the staging area, but a hidden unit opened fire killing the driver and the commissar's aide.
FA-I armored car proved invaluable in the battle, supressing the enemy units without any return fire. More of these units could be commited to great success.
White forces Destroyer fired without any accuracy, but scared some nearby troopers.
We count 11 of our men killed, with estimated 80 to 90 enemy killed or wounded.
All enemy were routed off the map, killed or captured. We may have an opportunity to keep striking them should they fail to regain organization.

I lost a few man for stupid reasons, such as moving a scout team near the bridge, and coming under fire from a squad and a machinegun.:doh:

Roman
April 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM

I took the google maps earth. Are the width and length of the combat zone.
To make an operational map from this map would have to invent the woods.
Although you can make the map with the game editor. The map is 6.22 km x 900 meters. Bone that would be 121 for 9 or 10 hexes.
Is that correct?

Double_Deuce
April 10th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Although you can make the map with the game editor. The map is 6.22 km x 900 meters. Bone that would be 121 for 9 or 10 hexes.
Is that correct?No, that's only a map of the city of Okhotsk. You have to check the Okhotsk > Region of Khabarovsk, Russia (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Okhotsk&aq=&sll=59.771609,142.987061&sspn=0.844865,2.90863&g=Sea+of+Okhotsk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Okhotsk,+Okhotskiy+rayon,+Region+of+Khabarov sk,+Russia&ll=59.461826,142.926636&spn=0.852692,2.90863&t=p&z=9&iwloc=A) link to see the campaign area. Its over 150 square kilometers in size and stretches from Zapadnyy in the West to Arka in the North to Ul'beya in the east.

Roman
April 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Is that correct?No, that's only a map of the city of Okhotsk. You have to check the Okhotsk > Region of Khabarovsk, Russia (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Okhotsk&aq=&sll=59.771609,142.987061&sspn=0.844865,2.90863&g=Sea+of+Okhotsk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Okhotsk,+Okhotskiy+rayon,+Region+of+Khabarov sk,+Russia&ll=59.461826,142.926636&spn=0.852692,2.90863&t=p&z=9&iwloc=A) link to see the campaign area. Its over 150 square kilometers in size and stretches from Zapadnyy in the West to Arka in the North to Ul'beya in the east.

Be there?

Double_Deuce
April 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Maybe this will help give an idea of where each unit is, and where they have moved (I would recommend the Satellite view with Terrain enabled).

RED ACTIONS CAMPAIGN MAP (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=212192843830648091169.0004a0989d74e30444d0c)

Also, just to give an idea of the time frame, each turn (time between battles) is about 3-4 days. So 2 about battles, per week.

Roman
April 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Maybe this will help give an idea of where each unit is, and where they have moved (I would recommend the Satellite view with Terrain enabled).

RED ACTIONS CAMPAIGN MAP (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=212192843830648091169.0004a0989d74e30444d0c)

Also, just to give an idea of the time frame, each turn (time between battles) is about 3-4 days. So 2 about battles, per week.

Perfect. Thanks

Skirmisher
April 11th, 2011, 01:24 AM
i tried to retreat him and the staff car into the staging area, but a hidden unit opened fire killing the driver and the commissar's aide.
FA-I armored car proved invaluable in the battle, supressing the enemy units without any return fire.

The Commissar survived ,that's good.

In retrospect,I should have invested in an armored car,or cars.

I'll say I want to add them at this point,but complete radio silence from Command has me abit worried. They probably aren't looking upon my command favorably at this point.

Am I about to be thrown into a meatgrinder?

Will I be shadowed no more by Commissar's?

Will another appear to replace the last one?

Double_Deuce
April 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Working on the next set, about 1/2 way done. The scenario's I can pump out and test in about 30-45 minutes but its the text briefing file that takes me the longest to put together. :(

OH, and by the way. If your A0 unit gets KIA'ed, you are out of the campaign so if it comes down to it, feel free to use the Commissar as a human shield. :cool:

Also, for those following along I am updating the Google Map of the Campaign as I go along building the scenarios so you might occasionally get a sneak peak on what is headed your way.

Skirmisher
April 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Working on the next set, about 1/2 way done. The scenario's I can pump out and test in about 30-45 minutes but its the text briefing file that takes me the longest to put together. :(

OH, and by the way. If your A0 unit gets KIA'ed, you are out of the campaign so if it comes down to it, feel free to use the Commissar as a human shield. :cool:

That's cool.:cool:

Maybe if you focused on one player at a time, it would be less of a burden.

In order that you recieved the first battle back.

That way,you wouldn't need to account for all the text, all at once.

Brian61
April 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM
The scenario's I can pump out and test in about 30-45 minutes :eek: and if that includes the maps :faint:

I must say I'm impressed though, they certainly look and feel like they took much longer :up:

Brian

Double_Deuce
April 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
The scenario's I can pump out and test in about 30-45 minutes :eek: and if that includes the maps :faint:

I must say I'm impressed though, they certainly look and feel like they took much longer :up:Well, they are only 30x30. :D

Double_Deuce
April 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Just an FYI. You may want to back up any existing Scenarios you have in your current winSPWW2 scenarios folder as I am using the lower slots when creating your follow on scenarios. This is so I don't have to click 25 times to get back to and load your followup scenarios during creation and testing.

Double_Deuce
April 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Comrade Skirmisher, your next mission in the campaign is attached . . .
Comrade, although the loss of the Commissar was a blow to our country his replacement has arrived in time for the next mission. As your men were unable to finish the job the other night, the enemy was able to withdraw in good order and has been slowly moving back towards the safety of Tsentral'nyy. You must press the attack and run the White dogs down, clearing the road to Tsentral'nyy and the area around Alexseev's farm.**

The attack will take place sometime after noon in the hopes that you can catch them on the open road as they evacuate their supply and munitions wagons. The weather is expected to be clear. The destruction of the supply and munition wagons is critical. As you advance, Comrade Roman will be attempting to cut off their western army's escape route along the Tsentral'nyy - Chil'Chikan Causeway.**

Failure here is, well, unacceptable.**Mission #02

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C042_RED_ACTIONS_Skirmisher_002.zip file.
2) add U042i002.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn062.cmt and spscn062.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 042 RED_ACTIONS Skirmisher by adding scenario 062 into node 002 (the third scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 002 to 17.
6) Save your edit by pressing SAVE in the lower right hand side corner of the screen.
7) Save again. Make sure you have done this - if your edit (adding of next scenario) is not saved the campaign ends.

Go back to your Saved Game file and continue the Campaign.
AGAIN: Make sure that you save the game before the battle ends, ideally the very last turn BEFORE the end result screen is shown. I would recommend saving to alternate slots each turn, just in case.

Please post your end game screen file here or email it to me at doubledeuce@combat-campaigns.com[/quote]

Double_Deuce
April 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Comrade Brian61, your next mission in the campaign is attached . . .
Comrade, congratulations on your capture of the bridge at Arka. You must continue your advance, clearing the road south towards Simga. There is an important Rail Transfer Station to your south that need to be secured.**

Our spies tell us the Whites are preparing to destroy sections of the rail to prevent us from keeping up with their rearguard. The weather is expected to be clear.**

An armored train is closely following your main force and this will support your efforts with 2x 76mm field guns.**

You will have 15 Repair Points for this mission. When you add the Scenario to your Campaign, set the BUILD points for Node 002 to 15. Make sure you SAVE again after doing this.**Mission #02

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C041_RED_ACTIONS_Brian61_002.zip file.
2) add U041i002.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn052.cmt and spscn052.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 041 RED_ACTIONS Brian61 by adding scenario 052 into node 002 (the third scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 002 to 15.
6) Save your edit by pressing SAVE in the lower right hand side corner of the screen.
7) Save again. Make sure you have done this - if your edit (adding of next scenario) is not saved the campaign ends.

AGAIN: Make sure that you save the game before the battle ends, ideally the very last turn BEFORE the end result screen is shown. I would recommend saving to alternate slots each turn, just in case.

Double_Deuce
April 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Comrade Roman, your next mission in the campaign is attached . . .
Having penetrated the enemy's right flank north of Zapadnyy, you have been ordered to drive northeast and sweep in towards the coast to close the enemy's route of retreat along the Tsentral'nyy - Chil'Chikan Causeway. Once you reach the causeway you are to continue pushing southwest and clear the road and the Tsentral'nyy - Chil'Chikan Railway of any advancing enemy.**

Although Comrade Skirmisher failed to destroy the enemy at Zapadnyy he did manage to inflict enough damage to force them to withdraw towards Tsentral'nyy. This means that you can expect a large force moving your way as they fall back towards Chil'Chikan.**

You will have 23 Repair Points for this mission. When you add the Scenario to your Campaign, set the BUILD points for Node 002 to 23. Make sure you SAVE again after doing this.**Mission #02

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C044_RED_ACTIONS_Roman_002.zip file.
2) add U044i002.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn082.cmt and spscn082.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 044 RED_ACTIONS Roman by adding scenario 082 into node 002 (the third scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 002 to 23.

Double_Deuce
April 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
ANOTHER FYI. You CANNOT Expand your current force. You can only REPAIR your existing Core.

Double_Deuce
April 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Comrade iCaMpWiThAWP, your next mission in the campaign is attached . . .
Comrade, your forces have stopped the enemy advance cold. Now the time has come to counterattack and drive them back towards Partizanskiy however there is a choke point where they may be able to easily stop you. You will need to clear this area and make sure to way is open along the Partizanskiy - Ul'beya coastal roadway.**

In addition to the White force invaders local peasants have reported seeing both Japanese and British Interventionist troops maneuvering in the area. As with the Whites these foreigners are to be targeted as enemy's of the state. The weather is expected to be clear.**

You will have 24 Repair Points for this mission. When you add the Scenario to your Campaign, set the BUILD points for Node 002 to 24. Make sure you SAVE again after doing this.**Mission #02

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C043_RED_ACTIONS_iCaMpWiThAWP_002.zip file.
2) add U043i002.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn072.cmt and spscn072.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 043 RED ACTIONS iCaMpWiThAWP by adding scenario 072 into node 002 (the third scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 002 to 24.

Double_Deuce
April 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe if you focused on one player at a time, it would be less of a burden.

In order that you recieved the first battle back.

That way,you wouldn't need to account for all the text, all at once.I may try to stagger the battles a little, like you mentioned, working on them as they are posted. I think I can work on 2 as the other 2 are posted and being played. The problem is the battles are pretty small so while I can whip them out quicker, you guys also plow through them quicker. :D

Right now I think I'm going to aim for a 1 week turnaround time from the time you post/email me the results of your battle till the next scenario for that player is posted.

Roman
April 14th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Done. My battle is over. Nothing remained of the enemy. I killed everything. Their heavy weapons and their headquarters. Cossacks again showed their worth.

Skirmisher
April 15th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Comrade, although the loss of the Commissar was a blow to our country his replacement has arrived in time for the next mission. As your men were unable to finish the job the other night, the enemy was able to withdraw in good order and has been slowly moving back towards the safety of Tsentral'nyy. You must press the attack and run the White dogs down, clearing the road to Tsentral'nyy and the area around Alexseev's farm.**

The attack will take place sometime after noon in the hopes that you can catch them on the open road as they evacuate their supply and munitions wagons. The weather is expected to be clear. The destruction of the supply and munition wagons is critical. As you advance, Comrade Roman will be attempting to cut off their western army's escape route along the Tsentral'nyy - Chil'Chikan Causeway.**

Failure here is, well, unacceptable.**Mission #02

Things started rather badly. The supply officer has informed me that my request for armored cars has been denied.
Then he tells me I have a few handfulls of points to repair my tattered forces. :smirk:

A new maxum HMG is purchased,one Cossak platoon is brought up to full strength.

As soon as the battle starts I see enemy units on the road just ahead. The new HMG unit opens up on an enemy squad.
The combined return fire from 4 or 5 units kills most of the HMG unit and the rest flee. Easy come,easy go.

We push the enemy as ordered and at the end of the day mission accomplished. We lost a decent amount of men from various other units. None were destroyed but most,if not all where weakened.

At least we didn't fail,and the new Commissar is intact.
He spent the afternoon calling in mortar strikes.

Final turn files sent.

Double_Deuce
April 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
iCaMpWiThAWP and Brian61 have you finished your battles? I have Roman and Skirmishers files.

iCaMpWiThAWP
April 16th, 2011, 04:20 PM
iCaMpWiThAWP and Brian61 have you finished your battles? I have Roman and Skirmishers files.

Quick-played through mine:
Decided to avoid excessive losses, so i started with a platoon in the trench area, wich quickly turned into a confused melee, with me taking the "fort" without many losses.
then i used pack mules crews to capture the flags by the railroad.
tried to advance along the road with a platoon, but was met by british tanks and retread back into the fortified position, wich later proved decive winning the battle, as a platoon of marines tried to clear the road it blocked.
Japanese elite scouts scared me off the northern part of the map, nothing other than a little firefight with these same troopers there against a scout of mine wich retreated.
Late game AI counterattack didn't surprise me, i had decided to defend what ground i had 2 turns earlier, due to lack of heavy weapons to support the advance, but still was flanked by cavalry and had to divide the force, losing 2 flags because of that.
Battle turned bloody for the Whites, they stopped our advance, but learned that they can't swim against the red tide!
The comissar shot up a few units without destroying any of them during the counterattack, i tried retreating him into the woods but again, was caught by MG fire and the driver and his aide got killed, we're running low on drivers here.;)

BTW-Battle results may slightly vary from mine, as last turn AI is very active, and may end with 2 british tanks killed, or a platoon of my men routed.

Brian61
April 17th, 2011, 12:20 AM

Sorry haven't been in good health. Managed a marginal (barely), but losses were low.

Double_Deuce
April 17th, 2011, 02:44 AM

Sorry haven't been in good health. Managed a marginal (barely), but losses were low.No worries. Was going to start work on the next scenario set and wanted to make sure you didn't send them via email, cause I didn't get them there. ;)

Double_Deuce
April 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Another from the players if I may. I've been trying to test out the AI (mainly my pathing and waypoint usage) before zipping and sending you the scenario files. If you have any feedback on how the "AI" seems to be acting (with my programmed waypoints, etc) in your battles I would be interested to hear. Please note, not all of them are intended to be balanced but, are they challenging and feel like they fit the part in a bigger story. ;)

Skirmisher
April 18th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Another from the players if I may. I've been trying to test out the AI (mainly my pathing and waypoint usage) before zipping and sending you the scenario files. If you have any feedback on how the "AI" seems to be acting (with my programmed waypoints, etc) in your battles I would be interested to hear. Please note, not all of them are intended to be balanced but, are they challenging and feel like they fit the part in a bigger story. ;)

It's hard to judge waypoint movement on a smaller map,but
my battles so far have been good.

In the last one for awhile I was worried. The words "failure is unaceptable" rang in my ears and I was losing combat power to
enemy attacks here and there. I probably could have bought a better core to.

Roman
April 18th, 2011, 11:26 PM

The first battle was harder than the second. I'm thinking why....:re:
I already thought something. I do not know whether to tell you :confused:.... since it complicates my tactics;).
Well, I say. In the two battles I used my Cossacks to flank the enemy. In the second battle my Cossacks found less resistance, because most of the enemy forces attacked the center. :horse:

iCaMpWiThAWP
April 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
In my first battle the AI tried to flank me from both sides AND pushed the center. So this is a classical AI attack, throw whatever they got at me.

In the second battle the AI held it's ground for some turns and counterattacked the turn after i lost momentum. So there may be some waipointing in there...

Brian61
April 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM

In the first battle I didn't see any counter-attack or enemy movement (other than retreat/rout). I think though that this might have been due to the spoiling attack I launched south of the bridge across the river (hey, they're marines! :) ) under the supporting fire of my HMGs sitting in good overwatch positions.

The second battle, given the time constraints and very poor los along the railway, there was no other choice than a slow frontal attack along the railroad behind a walking barrage. There was a late counter-attack launched which included cavalry units from the north. They ran into my light screen of scouts and snipers reinforced by my FT engineer squad. As there were no VHs at risk, I mostly just retreated before the counter-attack and let it burn itself out against opfire on the advance.

Generally I don't care for infantry battles where time constraints are such that you need to advance more than one hex per turn. This is especially true when the terrain prevents long range support fire from mg's and los is such that overwatch and advance by bounds is problematic. I found this to be the case in the second battle, and, especially since I knew replacement troops would be hard to find, opted to fight very conservatively ignoring half the VHs in favor of force preservation.

Just as a side note, it is very hard to do railroads realistically in the map editor. Elevation changes and turns are very gradual on the main lines, los should be clear down a railroad bed to the limits of visibility barring obstruction by wreckage or smoke. Its a bit more relaxed with narrow gauge 'mining' railroads but even they are, in comparison to roads, very flat and slow turning. Outside of railway yards (where very slow speeds and short trains are the norm) and sidetracks (very slow speeds), its pretty much impossible to model a railroad turn on a sp map.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Double_Deuce
April 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM
This batch is taking a little longer that I expected. Trying to tweak the AI and then test. ;)

iCaMpWiThAWP
April 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
This batch is taking a little longer that I expected. Trying to tweak the AI and then test. ;)
No rush on mine if you need to pick one to run slowly...

Brian61
April 21st, 2011, 05:27 PM

Take your time :) Sorry about the grumpy tone of my previous reply, I really shouldn't post when I've been awake way too long :sick:

Thanks,
Brian

Double_Deuce
April 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM
Comrade iCaMpWiThAWP, your next mission in the campaign is attached . . .
Comrade, the loss of your Commissar was tragic. His loss seems to have demoralized your men and given hope to the enemy. At this moment it seems that they have been inspired enough to counterattack your forces under cover of darkness. **

You will need to hold onto the objectives you have now, beat back the enemy's advance and launch your own counterattack. A new Commissar has been assigned to insure you stay focused on finishing the task of clearing the Partizanskiy - Ul'beya coastal roadway as you were originally ordered.**

It is nighttime and a light fog has rolled in from the sea. Visibility will be extremely limited.**

You will have 10 Repair Points for this mission. When you add the Scenario to your Campaign, set the BUILD points for Node 003 to 10. Make sure you SAVE again after doing this.**Mission #03

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C043_RED_ACTIONS_iCaMpWiThAWP_003.zip file.
2) add U043i003.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn073.cmt and spscn073.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 043 RED ACTIONS iCaMpWiThAWP by adding scenario 073 into node 003 (the fourth scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 003 to 10.

Go back to your last Saved Game file and continue the Campaign.

Please post your end game screen file here or email it to me at doubledeuce@combat-campaigns.com[/quote]

Double_Deuce
April 21st, 2011, 06:51 PM
Comrade, while you were able to capture the rail station north of Simga it appears that the enemy forces in the area have not been totally defeated. You will continue your advance under cover of darkness and finish clearing the rest of the road to the south however, be aware that our spies have reported the enemy massing for a midnight counterattack.**

While it will be dark during the mission, the weather is expected to be clear.**

Unfortunately a lack of supplies has forced us to halt any support from the armored train to your rear.**

You will have 8 Repair Points for this mission. When you add the Scenario to your Campaign, set the BUILD points for Node 003 to 8. Make sure you SAVE again after doing this.**Mission #03

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C041_RED_ACTIONS_Brian61_002.zip file.
2) add U041i003.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn053.cmt and spscn053.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 041 RED_ACTIONS Brian61 by adding scenario 053 into node 003 (the fourth scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 003 to 8.

Go back to your last Saved Game file and continue the Campaign.

Roman
April 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hi Comrade General. I'm waiting for orders. My Cossacks are thirsty for blood ...:tough:

Brian61
April 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Comrade, while you were able to capture the rail station north of Simga it appears that the enemy forces in the area have not been totally defeated. You will continue your advance under cover of darkness and finish clearing the rest of the road to the south however, be aware that our spies have reported the enemy massing for a midnight counterattack.**

The enemy counterattack started a bit after midnight. They should've attacked earlier because waiting till after midnight caused them to run into an AM bush. :D

Last turn file attached,
Thanks,
Brian

Double_Deuce
April 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
The enemy counterattack started a bit after midnight. They should've attacked earlier because waiting till after midnight caused them to run into an AM bush. :DI was hoping that your timing would have been off, at least that was the plan. :(

Roman
April 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Comrade Double_Deuce.
Since I have not the pleasure of the general? I took care of Comrade Commissar jealously despite insulting to my saying that they smell Cossacks on horseback.:mad:
Please tell me if there will be a future mission for me.:(:re:

Double_Deuce
April 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hi Comrade Double_Deuce.
Since I have not the pleasure of the general? I took care of Comrade Commissar jealously despite insulting to my saying that they smell Cossacks on horseback.:mad:
Please tell me if there will be a future mission for me.:(:re:Yes, I am currently working on tweaking the ones for you and Comrade Skirmisher.

Roman
April 22nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hi Comrade Double_Deuce.
Please tell me if there will be a future mission for me.:(:re:Yes, I am currently working on tweaking the ones for you and Comrade Skirmisher.

Ok. Thanks. Sorry for the inconvenience. You take your time.
Greetings

Double_Deuce
April 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Comrade, having helped Comrade Roman crush the main western line of the White forces your next objective is to hit the right flank of their defenses at Chekistskiy. Comrade Roman will attack the village head on while you will flank around to the left and seize the high ground to the north. The enemy is currently occupying a long ridgeline with excellent fields of fire although our spies report their lines are very thin.**

The attack will take place just after sunrise. The weather is expected to be clear. **

You will have 12 Repair Points for this mission. When you add the Scenario to your Campaign, set the BUILD points for Node 003 to 12. Make sure you SAVE again after doing this.**Mission #03

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C042_RED_ACTIONS_Skirmisher_003.zip file.
2) add U042i003.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn063.cmt and spscn063.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 042 RED_ACTIONS Skirmisher by adding scenario 063 into node 003 (the fourth scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 003 to 12.

Skirmisher
April 25th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I spy a new mission,thank you.

Skirmisher
April 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM
OK this mission is locked and loaded,just waiting for Roman to get his mission and I'll get right on it.

Double_Deuce
April 28th, 2011, 04:35 AM
OK this mission is locked and loaded,just waiting for Roman to get his mission and I'll get right on it.Yeah, I have had to delay working on his due to continuous power outages from these **** tornado's the last 2 days. :mad:

Skirmisher
April 28th, 2011, 10:49 PM
[quote]Comrade, having helped Comrade Roman crush the main western line of the White forces your next objective is to hit the right flank of their defenses at Chekistskiy. Comrade Roman will attack the village head on while you will flank around to the left and seize the high ground to the north. The enemy is currently occupying a long ridgeline with excellent fields of fire although our spies report their lines are very thin.**

The attack will take place just after sunrise. The weather is expected to be clear. **

This is underway.

The White forces have been engaged.
So far we've only lost a few and sent three or four enemy squads running. Have to be careful though as my forces are thin.

How long before we get help from the motherland?

More on this tomorrow.

Double_Deuce
April 29th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Comrade Roman, your next mission in the campaign is attached . . .
Comrade Roman, having helped Comrade Skirmisher crush the main western line of the White forces you are to continue the advance to the Northeast to the village of Chekistskiy. Comrade Skirmisher will be on your left flank attacking the enemy in the hills to the North and trying to draw forces away from the village. Our spies report that Chekistskiy is occupied but has not yet been fortified.**

The attack will take place around noon. The weather is expected to be clear. **

You will have 19 Repair Points for this mission. When you add the Scenario to your Campaign, set the BUILD points for Node 003 to 19. Make sure you SAVE again after doing this.**
**Mission #03

Install instructions:
1) Unzip the C044_RED_ACTIONS_Roman_003.zip file.
2) add U044i003.txt file to your winSPWW2 Campaigns folder.
3) add spscn083.cmt and spscn083.dat to your winSPWW2 Scenarios folder.
4) Start up your winSPWW2 game. Edit campaign 044 RED_ACTIONS Roman by adding scenario 083 into node 003 (the fourth scenario slot).
5) EDIT your BUILD points for Node 003 to 19.

Skirmisher
April 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
More on this tomorrow.

The battle is almost over.

I lost the HMG unit and another cossak squad.

Didn't capture much in the way of enemy victory hexes.

Will send in the final turn shortly.

Saw more enemy waypoint activity in this one.

Roman
April 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Did not get the objectives. I lost my machine guns and sniper in the first turns. I failed. I hope to have another chance ....

Skirmisher
April 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Did not get the objectives. I lost my machine guns and sniper in the first turns. I failed. I hope to have another chance ....

I basically failed as well. Marginal Defeat.

But then,I don't have much to work with.

Hopefully we get some reinforcements.:sick:

Skirmisher
April 29th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I have had to delay working on his due to continuous power outages from these **** tornado's the last 2 days. :mad:

I saw a real time graphic from some weather service.

There was alot of tornado activity in south central/south western TN.

Roman
April 30th, 2011, 01:28 AM

I basically failed as well. Marginal Defeat.

But then,I don't have much to work with.

Hopefully we get some reinforcements.:sick:

This time, my tactic did not work. The enemy was well positioned. They had two snipers that ruined everything. I also got marginal defeat.

iCaMpWiThAWP
April 30th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Marginal victory, started counterattacking by turn 9 or 10, Platoon holding the fort lost their MG and ran critically low on rifle ammo.
FA-I armored car used to great success in the defense and the counterattack, capturing 2 v-hexes along the railroad.
Commissar was probably a little bored, but at least enjoyed watching my scouts and engineers rout a flanking platoon of cavalry :)

Double_Deuce
April 30th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Commissar was probably a little bored, but at least enjoyed watching my scouts and engineers rout a flanking platoon of cavalry :)Better bored than dead. :D

Double_Deuce
May 1st, 2011, 06:25 AM
For those following along and whom might be interested I am planning to release the custom maps I have been creating campaign for download. They are small 30x30 maps so not much room for large forces to operation but are good for small company sized actions.

Roman
May 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Ok. I'm interested. In which slots are the maps?

Double_Deuce
May 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to confirm if you 4 wanted to continue with this campaign or jump over to the NATO vs WP campaign (the one using the Motorized Rifle Companies)?

iCaMpWiThAWP
May 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Doesn't really matter to me :D but i've just started reading red storm rising again lol.
It's up to you lads.

Double_Deuce
June 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Since the campaign has come to a halt I will gather the maps I created (again these are small 30x30 maps) and upload them as soon as I can for anyone who would like to use them.

Roman
June 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Since the campaign has come to a halt I will gather the maps I created (again these are small 30x30 maps) and upload them as soon as I can for anyone who would like to use them.

Ok. Thanks

Double_Deuce
August 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM
Since RL has settled down somewhat from last year I am considering starting up another one of these type games. Nothing massive, or too complicated, probably company sized commands again and sticking with the WinSPWW2 engine because I think that version lends itself better to this game setup that WinSPMBT (not the differences in the games but in the force technology limitations).

If anyone is interested please post ideas, recommendations and/or preferences such as theater or time frame.