PDA

View Full Version : Hotckiss Automatic Cannon

Miketee10022
June 24th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi Folks - I am working on a scenario taking place in Nicaragua in the 20's. My superior officer, so to speak, the main scenario designer - is telling me that in the battle we are working on (Las Cruces) there was a Hotchkiss Automatic Cannon, (this is a five barrelled cannon developed in the late 19th Century and used by Britain, the US, and several other countries in the first decades of the 20th Century). The force I am trying to equip is the USMC. I have tried to find this gun not only in the US arsenal, but that of several other countries and I am stumped! Just have not found it. So...

First off...

If it is hiding in one of the OOB's, please point me in that direction!

But if it's just not part of SP WW2, can someone help me modify an existing gun to at least simulate the Hotchkiss. What I mainly need is a rate of fire, in SP numbers, that equates to 40 rounds per minute for the real gun. Also - if anyone knows how much ammo was typically carried with these guns, please do let me know.

Thanks so much!

Mobhack
June 25th, 2012, 08:29 AM
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/hotchkiss-revolving-cannon/

It is not in the OOBS since it is a pre-1900 weapon. (Though common in the worlds pre dreadnought fleets).

All 1920s-30s 37mm and 47mm anti-tank guns tend to have their genesis in these 2 rounds/calibres (37mm being usually termed the "one pounder" and the 47mm usually as "three pounder" in the turn of the century Janes Fighting Ships etc).

If it is a one-off for a scenario then a 37mm or 40mm Bofors AA gun will probably do as a substitute - just rename the unit.

Andy

Mobhack
June 25th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Moved to the scenario thread since it's really a scenario design thread.

Andy

Miketee10022
June 26th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks Mobhack! I will pass along your recommendation to the designer. Appreciate your fast reply.