.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Making mods for Dominions II. [Basic editing/modding discussion.] (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=16417)

MStavros September 28th, 2003 04:41 PM

Re: Making mods for Dominions II. [Basic editing/modding discussion.]

/me vote for modding tools of course.

What do we need?
Unit editor, race(nation)editor, god(pretender) editor, hero editor.
All other editing tools are just +++ for us. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

[ September 28, 2003, 15:42: Message edited by: MStavros ]

st.patrik September 28th, 2003 04:44 PM

Wow, I'm kinda shocked with how vicious you guys are being with Nerflix. Sure he expressed his viewpoint a bit too strongly, but that's no reason to call the guy names. And I think he has made a positive contribution to these Boards - I rate him 4 stars

With regard to modding, when it comes to a saleable feature modding has a lot of pull - people love to tweak something which they can actually play - 'see their name in lights' syndrome. So I think it may increase the desirability of the game to most people.

Nonetheless I would prefer not to see it happen. Not because I don't like elves, orcs, etc., but because about 0.1% of mods are worth downloading - I think modding is mainly itching a different scratch from playing a good game, if that makes sense. In other words, the satisfaction and enjoyment from playing a good game is one thing, and the satisfaction from creating your own little world is another thing. What I'm saying is that it's pretty much an illusion that adding moddability will in any way enhance gameplay.

That, of course, doesn't mean modding is bad - I just hate playing a ton of crappy mods and would happily just play the carefully engineered and well-tested game that Dominions II will be.

Just my opinion - don't flame me just because you disagree.

MStavros September 28th, 2003 04:50 PM

I strongly disagree with you. 0.1% of the mods are worth to download? You must be kidding. I play many mods for many games, I barely even play with the vanilla games. Mods are super. Yes, there are bad mods, so what? You won't play with bad mods. Who will?
The point behind modding is that you can design what you want to see and to play with, using the engine of the game. Simple as that. If the others will like your mod, its just a +++ to the community. Think about that.

As for Nerfix, he sounds like an idiot, I reckon. His opinion is ridicolous and nonsense about modding. 1 star for him. Ooops I already gave him 1 star a few days ago. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
14 persons used the voting system to rate Nerfix...Hes got 2 stars...I think at least 8 voted with 1 star? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

[ September 28, 2003, 15:53: Message edited by: MStavros ]

Nerfix September 28th, 2003 05:01 PM

Have you played Dominions more than 2 times? Have you played it at all? I have dedicated my life to Dominions, i have played it for something like 2 years, and i knew immediatedly when i got the demo that this game was unique. I and my friends have our own webpage and Boards, and i have watched the progress of Dominions II from the beginning. I have spent countless nights thinking what will become of Dominions II.
Is it so horrible that someone actualy like this game the way it is, even with its "horrible", "ugly" GFx?
This game is literaly holy to me. I don't want to see it being destroyed, but my worst nigthmares are turning true.

Every damn passing day these Boards sicken me more and more, and that is because of you whining GFx worshipping Tolkien fanatics! I hate you all, i couldn't care less what you rate, i'm leaving these Boards NOW and i think i migth return if Dominions II will not trun out to be some beer and pretzel game!
Goodbye!

[ September 28, 2003, 16:05: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

DominionsFan September 28th, 2003 05:01 PM

WOW! Dominions 2. will be moddable? COOL! WOW! Imagine! Tolkien or Warhammer mods! I C.A.N.T W.A.I.T! I want Dominions II. now! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

MStavros September 28th, 2003 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nerfix:
Have you played Dominions more than 2 times? Have you played it at all? I have dedicated my life to Dominions, i have played it for something like 2 years, and i knew immediatedly when i got the demo that this game was unique. I and my friends have our own webpage and Boards, and i have watched the progress of Dominions II from the beginning. I have spent countless nights thinking what will become of Dominions II.
Is it so horrible that someone actualy like this game the way it is, even with its "horrible", "ugly" GFx?
This game is literaly holy to me. I don't want to see it being destroyed, but my worst nigthmares are turning true.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Dude, nothing will be destroyed. Can you tell us, that what the #$%^&*( are you talking about? You are not forced to download and play any mods, you...*insert bad words here*
I can't belive that this kid is so stupid.

As someone suggested, do not even load this thread, you are just making us mad and angry with your stupid replies.
Stpatrick - This is lot more than disagreement. Nerfix cannot tell us anything wrong about modding. 'He just don't like modding'. Shrugs....
Leave this god damned thread Nerfix, you are making no sense.

[ September 28, 2003, 16:07: Message edited by: MStavros ]

DominionsFan September 28th, 2003 05:10 PM

UMMMM, Nerfix is a typical troublemaker. Ignore him.
1 star for him.

st.patrik September 28th, 2003 05:17 PM

Ok, so maybe 0.1% is an exageration - but honestly something like 1% or 2%, in my experience. Of course there is an inversely proportional relationship between how good the original game/scenario is and how worthwhile the mods are - if the original NEEDS tweaking, then mods can be a really good thing. I suspect if people are no longer playing vanilla it's because vanilla needed something that a mod added. I definitely don't think that's the case with Dominions.

And Nerflix - I agree with you in being opposed to mods, but you are stating the case too strongly saying that having the ability to mod will ruin the game - it will still be possible to play "vanilla" Dominions and ignore the mod world.

MStavros September 28th, 2003 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by st.patrik:
but you are stating the case too strongly saying that having the ability to mod will ruin the game - it will still be possible to play "vanilla" Dominions and ignore the mod world.
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Yes, this is what he can't understand with his 70 IQ I guess.
As for the rest, you don't see the point behind modding as well. Mods aren't made only to fix the balance, the best mods are totally different from the original game. It is a GOOD thing.
If someone says that its bad, its sounds abnormal to me, sorry. Why? Because as someone mentioned, more diversity = more fun. Got it?

st.patrik September 28th, 2003 05:43 PM

ok, so I don't want to get into a huge pointless argument here - I'm quite happy to agree to disagree, but here is maybe the key issue:

you say (or rather quote) more diversity = more fun, whereas I think while diversity can contribute to something being fun, it is in no way a sufficient condition to make something fun - much more important is careful design and balancing. Some of the best games of all time are incredibly simple - hardly any diversity at all. So I don't agree that more diversity necessarily equals more fun.

Honestly I think (without getting too philosophical on you all http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif ) that valuing diversity so highly is one of the most foolish things about our postmodern culture - we value diversity more highly than it deserves - it is almost the sole criterion for determining worth. exhibit a: this whole discussion about modding.

However, such philosophical musing are somewhat irrelevant, because what it comes down to is Illwinter deciding whether or not they like the idea of modding. You want them to, I don't want them to, we'll see what they decide. I guess I'm willing to leave it there.

[ September 28, 2003, 16:46: Message edited by: st.patrik ]