.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Warhammer MA: Empire (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36023)

Sombre July 26th, 2009 05:28 PM

Re: Warhammer MA: Empire

1 Attachment(s)
Just some work in progress. I tested out gunpowder weapons again today and wasn't happy with the results, so I'm sticking with a crossbow using version of the nuln engineering school.

From left to right - Free Infantryman, Nuln Marksman, Nobleborn, Flagellant.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/attac...8&d=1248643678

Noble713 July 26th, 2009 10:53 PM

Love the Free Company and the Flagellant. The Nobleborn seems like he could use a bit more on his mount to make him stand out from the rank & file horsemen types.

Sombre July 27th, 2009 08:57 AM

Well for Empire the rank and file cavalry are basically knights, so the lack of barding makes the Nobleborn distinct.

However you're right the horse is quite basic. It's an older KO one, so I could spruce it up a bit.

Sombre September 22nd, 2009 06:34 AM

Hi everyone. I'd like to ask a favour of you all, if you enjoy my mods.

Please nag me to do Empire. If I don't get it done and fairly soon I am going to be pissed at myself but apparently I need a bit more motivation than that, because progress is molasses slow currently.

So if you want Empire before 2015, please spare a moment to nag or enthuse either on IRC or in this thread. Demand a certain graphic or justification for design decisions or even to see code proving something. It'll work and therefore so will I. I think.

Humakty September 22nd, 2009 07:52 AM

Oh, mighty Sombre, who's sorcerous knowledge is envied by demons themselves, your work will live forever among the most shiny stars, my wife pronounce your name when she ... gives birth to my childs. I'll invade the world, and rename all of the bogs 'Sombre's bog' so that the witch hunters don't find you. We live only so that we can testify to our ultimate judge that we have played your mods. You can't leave us in darkness, you have to get up and, once more, save us from the mortal fate of 'Boredom' (a most evil sorceror).

rdonj September 22nd, 2009 07:57 AM

Hmm. I'm thinking reiksguard, some of the knightly orders, and a steam tank ;).

Nag nag nag.

BandarLover September 22nd, 2009 09:58 AM

Empire! Empire! Empire! The mob has spoken!!

Burnsaber September 22nd, 2009 10:15 AM

Here are my superior demands for the wizard order mages! Because I want everything to accomodate to my knowledge of the WRFP lore!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sombre (Post 546771)
Fire - Bright - F+ - Evocation
Wizard - Higher precision, lower research
Lord - Strong fire shield, starts at higher leadership

Pure fire sucks! Especially when you can't mass them for battlefield use. The summons from fire are basically neglible so they don't really have too many uses in few numbers. However the WRFP lore suggests that Bright Mages often lead squads of troops and are subject to some martail training at their academy. So perhaps they could have some basic armor (enc 0 magic scale mail?) and higher fighting stats with a Fire Sword. Won't likely matter much, but it might be nice to have some mages that might survive a rain of stones casting.

Quote:

Metal - Gold - E (F) - Alteration and construction
Wizard - Alchemy (?), higher upkeep
Lord - Forgebonus

Perhaps metallic skin for the lord? Not that he needs it, but it's thematic.

Quote:

Shadow - Grey - AD - Enchantment, alteration
Wizard - Stealthy
Lord - Flight, spy

In WRFP, the Grey order is descriped as a mix of KGB and Illuminati. Having eyes everywhere and eliminating things that could pose a threath for the empire. You have the stealth aspect here, but these guys are seriosly frightening. Assasination or patrolbonus could also be thematic.

Quote:

Light - Light - FS - Alteration and Evocation
Wizard - Heal, Auto communion (pythium copystats)
Lord - Better heal?

Perhaps some custom anti-demon weapon?

Quote:

Death - Amethyst - D (W) - Alteration, Enchantment
Wizard - Drain life attack
Lord - Armed with Soul Slaying scythe weapon

In WRFP, the Amethyst order is descriped as a special task force opposing necromancers. Perhaps they could get some custom anti-undead weapons by using the "stop the dead" vanilla weapon?

Sombre September 22nd, 2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnsaber (Post 711565)
Pure fire sucks! Especially when you can't mass them for battlefield use. The summons from fire are basically neglible so they don't really have too many uses in few numbers. However the WRFP lore suggests that Bright Mages often lead squads of troops and are subject to some martail training at their academy. So perhaps they could have some basic armor (enc 0 magic scale mail?) and higher fighting stats with a Fire Sword. Won't likely matter much, but it might be nice to have some mages that might survive a rain of stones casting.

Aside from the bonus via fire magic, bright wizards will be leader 40, lords 80. They will all have onebattlespell phoenix power. Pure fire may not be the best path, but when you have F3 (F4 in combat) and the other wizards are rocking 2s and 1s in their paths, I think you'll feel happy. The lord has a little death thrown in too and a variety of nice powers (including a flame sword). Additionally bright wizards will have heatpower 2 and lords 3 making their stats nuts in hot dominion. Finally the addition of spells like the flaming sword combat summon and the burning head evocation makes fire more interesting.

Quote:

Perhaps metallic skin for the lord? Not that he needs it, but it's thematic.

I think gold lords will probably get something along the lines of a selfbuff only army of gold casting. They're going to be decent battlemages with FE and they'll get a nice acid based aoe missile weapon at wizard and lord level.

Quote:

In WRFP, the Grey order is descriped as a mix of KGB and Illuminati. Having eyes everywhere and eliminating things that could pose a threath for the empire. You have the stealth aspect here, but these guys are seriosly frightening. Assasination or patrolbonus could also be thematic.
Yeah, sounds reasonable. The lords are going to be flying and incredibly stealthy so they'd be fun with the assassin trait.

Quote:

Perhaps some custom anti-demon weapon?

I think they get an anti daemon/undead spell added but I don't remember right now.

Quote:

In WRFP, the Amethyst order is descriped as a special task force opposing necromancers. Perhaps they could get some custom anti-undead weapons by using the "stop the dead" vanilla weapon?

Yeah that sounds reasonable. Though death magic itself is also seriously good at killing undead. The anti undead knightly order (which borders sylvania) whose name escapes me (Morr maybe?) will have some very nice undead blasting scythes and those will probably be available on the amethysts too.

Fantomen September 22nd, 2009 09:33 PM

nag.:poke:

Give us our mod, I want my mod!:p

Amonchakad September 25th, 2009 05:20 AM

*mutter mutter*

*more mutter*

Ehm ehm,

WE, the United Fans of Warhammer-Dominions - no,wait.

*mutter mutter*

WE, the International Association for a Complete Warhammer Mod - just a second,please?

*mutter mutter*

WE, the Warhammer Enthusiastics for a Better Dominions - what's NOW?Hang on there.

*angry mutter*

WE, the Warhammer Enthusiastics for a Better Dominions, AND Bill -

Bill: Thanks!

Hereby demand a beta version of the Warhammer: Empire Mod, to be delivered ASAP.

Failure to comply will result in a horrible death involving butter, cantaloupes and lobsters.

Sombre September 30th, 2009 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I am actually doing stuff. Slowly.

Here is an empire commander. He's supposed to be a state captain but he looks way too fancy for that now. I think he might be an 80ldr commander. He can't be that important as he's on foot. The 120ldr general will be mounted, as will the elector counts, who will be recruitable uniques. Probably. Or maybe just heroes.

You also get a choice of two flags. I'm not super pumped about either of them, but I don't care much about flags, as evidenced by the unfinished itza one.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/attac...5&d=1254345146

BandarLover September 30th, 2009 06:25 PM

I like the flag on the left, the white makes it stand out more. For someone who doesn't like making flags you do a fine job on them. :D

rdonj September 30th, 2009 08:06 PM

I agree, the white flag seems to work better.

Amonchakad October 1st, 2009 04:04 AM

The Angry Mob with Pitchforks and Torches declares the white flag to be the winner.

Sombre October 1st, 2009 05:13 AM

Coincidentally also the flag the commander is pointing at.

Sombre October 7th, 2009 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bright wizard. Hard to get them exactly right, but it'll do for now.

Burnsaber October 7th, 2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sombre (Post 713790)
Bright wizard. Hard to get them exactly right, but it'll do for now.

I.. I'm speechless. Pure 100% awesome distilled into a sprite.

If the Lord is even more awesome than that, it just might cause a brain overload.

Sombre October 7th, 2009 05:17 PM

I would like people's opinions on that actually. Should the lords be on foot or mounted? If mounted, they are easier to differentiate. Though it's not hard to have them look very upgraded on foot to be honest.

The patriarchs will all have special mounts and whatnot, like elementals, monsters, special forms etc.

Sombre October 7th, 2009 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Warrior Priest. One on the right is the nearer finished. I should do a stage by stage one day, I can just never remember to do so.

BandarLover October 7th, 2009 05:58 PM

Very nice sprites Sombre! Particularly the Warrior priest. LOVE the twin tail comet on his tunic.

As far as the lord goes, I know mounting them would def make them stand out separate from reg bright mages, I just don't think it they would look good to me on a mount. That's my own personal aesthetic sense though.

rdonj October 7th, 2009 06:47 PM

Amazing sprites as usual, sombre. Well, as I said on IRC I vote for mounted wizard lords. I think you can pull them off well.

Sombre October 8th, 2009 05:05 AM

I'm going to crank out a wizard a day if I can. I think grey is the next logical one. They're air and death magic combined with stealth.

Sombre October 8th, 2009 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Grey wizard. Not massively happy with it, but I'm getting one done a day at least :]

BandarLover October 8th, 2009 05:14 PM

You're prolly too demanding on yourself. I think it looks cool. :D

llamabeast October 8th, 2009 06:05 PM

I think it looks very cool. I was imagining a gandalf hat (my grey wizard model what I painted has a gandalf hat), but actually the hood looks very fitting.

Sombre October 8th, 2009 06:19 PM

The grey wizard lord will have a gandalf hat. He can be a bit less physically stealthy what with all his magical power. He'll also have a nice raven.

Any preference on which I do tomorrow?

Burnsaber October 9th, 2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sombre (Post 713852)
I'm going to crank out a wizard a day if I can.

This sentence mocks me. There's clearly a joke to be had on its expense but I keep on drawing blanks. So much potential, wasted..

But anyways, back to the topic.

The thing I'd like to see next is either amethyst wizard or Grey Wizard lord.

llamabeast October 9th, 2009 08:27 AM

Amethyst.

lch October 9th, 2009 09:25 AM

The choice already was Amethyst. Or else.

Zargen October 11th, 2009 04:48 AM

Amethyst would be a great one. Death magic! hm...But how to give them death magic without having them spamming undead spells? Since Amethyst Wizards more-or-less worship Morr who is against the use of undead.

lch October 11th, 2009 07:33 AM

Unfortunately Death magic grants the ability to command undead. Otherwise one could prevent the use of reanimation spells by removing this ability from the wizards.

Sombre October 11th, 2009 07:54 AM

Well I think if you give them #noleader they can't command undead no matter what.

I'm not that worried about it though - if people want to RP a bit they won't use the undead spells if they can help it. Amethysts will have their own national spells to be using anyway - rather than skellyspam they'll probably be able to spam shadelike things for instance.

Zargen October 12th, 2009 05:24 AM

Hey Sombre have a look at this
http://greywolf.critter.net/ahq/spells/amethyst.htm
From the looks of it Amethyst actually have more in common with astral magic instead of death.
For their weapons I think they should have like. staff(obvious) and more importantly; enslave(for Altered Allegiance).

Also found this picture you could take into consideration while making the sprites.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/wa...izard_npcs.jpg
from left to right: amethyst, grey, jade, and celestial wizard

Since I'm not sure how far along you've gotten with them I'd like to add my general thoughts to the wizards

Amethyst Wizards: Astral and some Death(most necromancers are actually corrupted amethyst wizards, we could use that)

Grey Wizards: Air magic. They're illusionists to the core. Maybe a little astral.

Light Wizards: Light Wizards are actually more along lines of Priests in Dom. They deal in banishing demons and destroying undead. I think they should have low amounts of water, astral, and fire.

Celestial Wizards: As one would expect. Heavy Astral users. Along with air and fire. When they attack someone. They make SURE they're dead after the first spell. Comets. Lighting bolts. that sort of thing.

Bright Wizards: Fairly obvious. Mainly Fire. But maybe a minor in earth for magma and the like.

Amber Wizards: They're less like wizards and more like tribal shamans. So some nature skill, but can also hold themselves in battle. They use spears instead of staves for such a reason.

Jade Wizards: These ones are the Druids. Big boost of Nature magic.

Gold Wizards: Earth magic users. Known to be alchemists.

If you want some ideas for spells without having to flip through the book you can use this link here: http://greywolf.critter.net/ahq/professions/wizards.htm

Sombre October 12th, 2009 07:32 AM

Hmm. Those resources seem to be from Advanced Heroquest and contradict some of the background from WHFB, which is my primary source.

I have the paths of the schools pretty much mapped out. Amethyst wizards are death users with some wind, maybe some astral too. They are all armed with anti undead scythes. They aren't getting an enslave attack.

Sorry for the delays on the amethyst, I've been really busy and one of my friends is going through some serious woe these last few days, so I've been looking after her.

Zargen October 24th, 2009 10:54 AM

Whats the latest news Sombre?

Sombre October 24th, 2009 01:57 PM

I got busy with so much other stuff! That's the news ;]

But I'll do an amethyst tomorrow.

Sombre November 17th, 2009 12:43 PM

This mod should probably be considered the 'mod that will never be' much like KO's impressive map ;]

Believe it or not I still intend to finish it though. I just need my new laptop to arrive and replace this horrible one.

Jack_Trowell November 17th, 2009 01:11 PM

Maybe you should split the mod into several parts, each for one faction of the empire (north with Ulric's followers, center with Sigmar's ...)

And it would allow for the civil war scenario I dream of ... :D

Sombre November 26th, 2009 06:10 PM

My new laptop has arrived. Now begins the painful process of transferance.

Sombre January 10th, 2010 07:43 PM

Been wizzy doodling.

Amethyst and Celestial. Like night and day!

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/pictu...&pictureid=277

rdonj January 10th, 2010 08:17 PM

I love the way the amethyst mage's robe wraps around his legs. It's a simple touch, but very cool. And I imagine somewhat difficult to produce.

Amonchakad January 11th, 2010 05:57 AM

That's some good-looking sprites! The amethyst mage looks indeed very cool with that swirling robe.

Sombre January 12th, 2010 08:20 AM

Thanks guys.

I've decided the wizard lords will all be mounted. This gives me a bit more canvas to paint the symbols of their orders on. The amber mage will be mounted on a bear, the bright mage will get a warhorse. It also makes them immediately distinct from the lesser order mages.

For bright mages does a 12 prec F2 with 30% ED who autocasts phoenix power sound reasonable? Not having to cast phoenix power saves you a round and equally importantly saves a bunch of fatigue.

Sombre January 12th, 2010 09:13 AM

Actually I've thought about all the wizard level paths:

Bright (Lore of Fire): F2 30% ED (autocast PP)
Light (Lore of Light): S2 F1 (sacred)
Gold (Lore of Metal): E2 F1 30% W
Jade (Lore of Life): N1 W1 A1 E1 30% NW (sacred, healer)
Amethyst (Lore of Death): D2 100% SA (no undead leading)
Amber (Lore of Beasts): N2 30% E (strength of gaea autocast)
Grey (Lore of Shadow): A2D1 (stealthy, spy)
Celestial (Lore of the Heavens): A1 S1 60% A 60% D (fortune teller, researcher)

rdonj January 12th, 2010 11:21 AM

Sounds pretty good so far. Although at first glance D on a celestial mage seems a bit odd.

Sombre January 12th, 2010 12:11 PM

Yeah that's a typo. It's supposed to be an S. Silly edit timer.

rdonj January 12th, 2010 12:47 PM

Yeah, that makes them look much better.

I took a look back 3 years ago (yikes!) at the first post, and I was wondering a bit about how you have the summon paths set up. You've got jade, light, bright, AND celestial mages all apparently summonable through evocation. So your best researchers, your primary evocation batteries, your healers (and most diverse mages), and your primary astral mages all available in the same tree. Evocation alone will get you access to all your national paths, and all but death to level 2 on just the basic mages. It would probably be a good idea to spread some of these guys around a little more to keep evocation from being too obvious of a path to head up early.

Also, I was thinking about steam tanks. From your description of them, I almost feel like they'll be too good as a recruitable unit. How do you feel about making them a commander instead? Or failing that, a summon.

Humakty January 12th, 2010 12:53 PM

Empire roster should allow for a OK early game, even without decent evoc. You've got every tactical combination you could dream of, plus some nasty special units. And if recruitable mages are weak, shouldn't it balance with ubber units ? You'd still be pretty vulnerable to air/astral mages (who can pawn any recruitable unit you could dream of). Not so sure about astral, isn't it countered by lifeless and other similar tags ?

All in all, it should give them a pretty different gameplay, which is always nice.

EDIT : I just remembered steam tanks were created by a long dead genius, and are slowly breaking down one by one, as time and battles pass along. So a summon similar to the elemental royalty one would be most fitting. Can't remember how many are stiil operational though. (and lended my army book, or lost it somehow, which is a shame, it had lots of fluff in it)

EDIT EDIT : I've seen an article in white dwarf, which allowed for customisation of steam tanks, to give them a more 'unique' feel, as each one of them is a unique masterpiece. So an immensely talented modder could even make each one of them slightly different. (is this one subtle enougth ?)

Sombre January 12th, 2010 01:19 PM

The spreading of the schools throughout paths is tricky. 8 mages spread throughout 5 paths (discounting construction and blood). This is what I figure at the moment:

Alteration - Gold
Evocation - Bright, Light
Enchantment - Grey
Thaumaturgy - Amethyst
Conjuration - Amber, Jade
?????????? - Celestial

Just don't know where to put Celestial.

Re: Steam Tanks - Definitely going to be construction summon, not a recruitable. The war wagon will be recruitable but will not be suitable for rushes/expansion due to the resource cost. I'm not going to make steam tanks unique because I think they're pretty boring doodads with the cannon removed. Tempted to remove them entirely.