.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   A newbie's nagging concern. (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48944)

Spledge June 26th, 2012 08:25 PM

A newbie's nagging concern.

Hi All,

This is my first time posting in this forum.

I'm a long time fan of SP:WaW (I hope it's ok to say that here) and I've recently found out about this sibling version of the game.

One of the biggest issues I've had over the years that has diminished my interests in playing against other folks (ie PBEM) is that I've suspected that opponents can deliberately or unintentionally re-load game files once a game is underway. In malicious hands, this behavior can lead to the ultimate form of reconnaissance and therefore, unfair play.

So, to start off my participation on the board with a dozy of a topic, has this version of SP somehow corrected for that problem.

(Yes, I've heard a million times that one should not play against folks that do re-load files but still, it takes time to detect the activity and waste time in the process.)

Thanks all for allowing me into the forum. I'm looking forward to our discussions.

Spledge

Roman June 26th, 2012 10:12 PM

Re: A newbie's nagging concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spledge (Post 807182)
Hi All,

I'm a long time fan of SP:WaW (I hope it's ok to say that here) and I've recently found out about this sibling version of the game.

One of the biggest issues I've had over the years that has diminished my interests in playing against other folks (ie PBEM) is that I've suspected that opponents can deliberately or unintentionally re-load game files once a game is underway. In malicious hands, this behavior can lead to the ultimate form of reconnaissance and therefore, unfair play.

So, to start off my participation on the board with a dozy of a topic, has this version of SP somehow corrected for that problem.

(Yes, I've heard a million times that one should not play against folks that do re-load files but still, it takes time to detect the activity and waste time in the process.)

Thanks all for allowing me into the forum. I'm looking forward to our discussions.

Spledge

Hello. When you open the departure it indicates you if the game was re-load. Leave quickly, but if you press a key (I believe that the one numbers 8) you can see the detail thoroughly.

Mobhack June 27th, 2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spledge (Post 807182)
Hi All,

Spledge

Game Options->Help Tab->"Read The Game Manual" button will bring up the Game Guide(AKA manual) in your browser.

In the Game Guide
->Playing By Email (PBEM) link.

See the sections on "Secure PBEM". However it is really only of use for club ladder competitions etc., especially since it takes some getting used to and the logistics of making it work properly can be daunting for new players.

Also search the forums for "secure PBEM".

For friendly games Basic Mode (password only) is best since it allows you to play on different computers (your laptop when working away from home during the week for example).

Andy

RightDeve June 27th, 2012 03:20 AM

In other words: yes, Steel Panthers by Camo Workshop has a mechanism for thwarting PBeM cheats, like what you said, re-loading.
If you're afraid of an opponent cheating, use Secure PBeM instead of a Basic one. It's not that much complicated from the Basic security, once you get used to it you'll make it the default way of playing against PBeM acquaintances.

Spledge June 27th, 2012 04:20 PM

Thank you for those replies. It sounds as though my concern, players having the option to re-load a turn/game file, is reduced with Camo's version of SP. I am pleased to learn this.

gila June 27th, 2012 07:06 PM

You can certainly tell if one has reloaded on "full security"

Using full security is as simple as using basic,,just one click more or less.

Some players use different computers when playing a game and prefer "basic" as it does not foul up the game when switching between them,that's another deal however.

Spledge June 28th, 2012 06:52 PM

Got it.

Thanks.