.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Running on Oracle VirtualBox (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51889)

zovs66 April 12th, 2018 04:57 AM

Running on Oracle VirtualBox

Just an FYI.

I am currently running SPWW2 version 11 on my host machine (O/S Windows 7 with 32 GB's of RAM and 3 TB of HDD, with 8 cores) in a virtual machine running Windows 10 Pro (I gave it 3 cores and 12 GB of RAM and a 250 GB HDD). I popped in the CD and installed it on the guest system just fine, downloaded all the patches and it runs just fine. Everything works and plays great.

Thanks Don and Andy for your hard work, dedication and amazing fun factor in doing this since the nineties.

By the way I been out of the loop for a few years is Ed Mortimer still around? He is a great guy and taught me a lot.

Many thanks and cheers.

DRG April 12th, 2018 07:03 AM

Re: Running on Oracle VirtualBox

I have not heard from Ed since the last DOS version of the game.

We are very glad the game is working well for you

Spledge April 14th, 2018 08:40 PM

When running a PBEM game in secure mode within a virtual machine, would rolling back the VB to a prior state trigger the production of the warning message when the next player loads their turn?

It's not a pleasant scenario to ponder, but I'm wondering if using the roll-back feature of a VB would be one way to perform unlimited reconnaissance during a game's turn. Not that I advocate for it in the least as I despise cheating in general.

Imp April 15th, 2018 01:01 AM

I would expect that to fail, could test it I suppose by setting up an email game woth yourself

zovs66 April 15th, 2018 12:50 PM

To be honest those kind of thoughts never even crossed my mind. Currently I have no computer other then the on provided by my employer and I can't really install any games on it, however my external drive is mine, and I can install many O/S on my host machine and use my own personal VM's for whatever I want. Hence installing Win 10 via VM.

I don't have time to pbem, so I do all my playing solo, so you'll never have to worry about any crazy cheats like that from me.

Spledge October 28th, 2018 04:27 PM

Understand your point, for me though, I'd value highly playing PBEM games for a few reasons. But of the few that I've played over the many years with the game, more than I'd like have smelled of some sort of rigging by an opponent.

With my question posed, it seems reasonable to ask other than sticking my head in the sand. It could lead to making the game experience better for all of us as difficult as it is to consider.

Mobhack October 28th, 2018 06:02 PM

There is secure mode PBEM for that - but it is a pain to use (typical problems occur if a free demo game user tries to "reuse" the same slot for several games, thus causes hiccups, secure slots must be used for one ongoing PBEM only).

But really, the best you can do is find an opponent who does not play squirrelly and use basic security. Basic has less hassles. Finding such a reliable opponent (and one who sends turns back frequently enough) is the problem.

Squirrelly opponents - just don't play them again.