.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Keyboard requests (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51897)

PantherCub April 16th, 2018 12:18 PM

Keyboard requests

I use the keyboard shortcuts quite a lot and find them useful. However, I have two small requests.

The "D" button for firing smoke discharges is very close to the "F" button for fire. Countless times I have accidentally fired the smoke dischargers instead of firing, thus obstructing my own field of fire. Could you either please move fire smoke dischargers to another key or add a confirmation message?

Likewise with the "V" key. When I accidentally press this I get a rather lengthy replay of last turn that there seems no way of interrupting. A confirmation y/n would be very useful here too.

scorpio_rocks April 16th, 2018 12:45 PM

Re: Keyboard requests

There IS a confirmation with the V key!

PantherCub April 16th, 2018 12:55 PM

You are right, there is. However, any response key other than a "N" will be treated as a confirmation. Thus if you mistakenly press it, and then press another key not realizing that you had hit "V", it will start the replay. For example, hitting "V" twice will start the replay.

DRG April 16th, 2018 12:57 PM

The solution is simple..be more careful.

We are not going to re-organize the entire Shortcut system that has been in place and used by thousands of players for years.

This is right up there with " Patient:..it hurts when I do this"......" Doctor:... Don't do that"

PantherCub April 16th, 2018 01:05 PM

So, you are saying, don't accidentally hit "D" when you intend to hit "F"!

The doctor might just as well tell the patient to stay in bed for the future!

DRG April 16th, 2018 02:57 PM

Again.......what do you expect ? That we are going to rearrange all the shortcuts because you are all thumbs ?

Slow down and pick the correct key

PantherCub April 16th, 2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 841819)
Again.......what do you expect ? That we are going to rearrange all the shortcuts because you are all thumbs ?

Slow down and pick the correct key

No I didn't expect you to rearrange all the keyboard shortcuts. What I did expect was perhaps a "We can see the problem, and we'll see if we can do anything about it" or something similar. I certainly didn't expect a "you are all thumbs".

You make a fantastic game. I am sorry to have bothered you with my unnecessary feedback.

DRG April 16th, 2018 04:09 PM

Virtually all of the keys are already assigned and who's to say but you if we did move it if that would be suitable to solve a problem only you have reported...meanwhile we get "bug" feedback from others that are accustomed to the existing hotkey set up...but now the keys they used to press do other things now.

Yes, I could have given you warm and fuzzy assurances that we will consider your request ....but I did consider your request and it's not practical because the solution is with YOU not with re-arranging the hotkey assignments.

Glad you like the game otherwise though......Feedback is always welcome just don't expect we will always agree.

DRG April 18th, 2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PantherCub (Post 841815)
You are right, there is. However, any response key other than a "N" will be treated as a confirmation. Thus if you mistakenly press it, and then press another key not realizing that you had hit "V", it will start the replay. For example, hitting "V" twice will start the replay.

The Replay key Y / N we can probably change so that ONLY pressing Y starts it and either only N cancels it or any key other than Y cancels it but I don't think adding the extra step of confirmation to the smoke discharges would be well received since there has only been one ( 1 ) complaint about it in 20+ years