.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   VIRSS, SDs and Tank Smoke Rounds (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52096)

jivemi October 22nd, 2018 03:39 AM

VIRSS, SDs and Tank Smoke Rounds

Sorry did forum search (nothing) then DuckDuck and Google. All I got on this was something from The Blitz back in 2007 and some quotes (from Don or Andy?) concerning how VIRSS works in the game. Basically an AFV had to fire one VIRSS (or EW) shot for each incoming missile. The "smoke" graphic was simply an indication that the AI was doing the algorithm to determine success or failure for that particular missile, not for subsequent ones.

Yet recently, playing campaigns in 2018 my tanks have experienced apparent immunity against a second missile shot on the same turn, at least from the same attacking unit. Ditto for when my ATGMs try second shots against enemy armour that fired single VIRSS shots. Also sometimes when my tanks fire SDs or smoke rounds they have no LOS through it, as though it's opaque to TI.

So what's the latest on this? Has anything changed since 2007 or am I imagining things? Thanks.

[EDIT: Campaigns were as Israelis vs Russians, Syrians and Turks, then as Russians vs Ukrainians, British, US and Canada (didn't pick the Canucks as an opponent but they came up anyway).]

DRG October 22nd, 2018 07:38 AM

Re: VIRSS, SDs and Tank Smoke Rounds

Quote:

Originally Posted by jivemi (Post 843644)
......recently, playing campaigns in 2018, my tanks have experienced apparent immunity against a second missile shot on the same turn, at least from the same attacking unit. Ditto for when my ATGMs try second shots against enemy armour that fired single VIRSS shots. Also sometimes when my tanks fire SDs or smoke rounds they have no LOS through it, as though it's opaque to TI.

So what's the latest on this? Has anything changed since 2007 or am I imagining things? Thanks.

When the second missile failed to hit did you see a "VIRSS defeats Missile"message? If you didn't then maybe the missile just missed ( they do that on occasion...)

Also, you do not say which missile and which nation fired it nor do you say who you were playing as and all of that is basic info 101

jivemi October 22nd, 2018 08:00 AM

OK, apparently nothing's changed. Didn't see any message at all on the second shots, but got the "VIRSS defeats Missile" on the first ones (have Message Delay at one-half so shouldn't miss anything).

If nobody else experienced it then yeah, must be imagining things. Sure was nice to dodge two Hellfires on one EW shot though, not to mention a couple Javelins with another T-80.

Anyway never mind, unless I can get you a save or two. Sorry for the bother. Cheers!

Mobhack October 22nd, 2018 09:46 AM

There is only one smoke layer and both players smoke goes there. That smoke layer is ordinary smoke only - there would need to be another map-sized array (and display code for that layer, and another ammo type, so yet more code and OOB stuff) for IR smoke rounds.

So the VIRSS defeating missile is one test for the one missile in question, together with a regular smoke discharger animation marking it. The smoke does not have effect on any other missile - the tank needs a second VIRSS round to defeat a following ATGM.

scorpio_rocks October 22nd, 2018 12:41 PM

While we are on the subject:

Any chance that we can get more than 2 "shots" for VIRSS and CIWS? or reloads?
I believe many modern systems have more than 2 "shots" - Trophy, etc?

Mobhack October 22nd, 2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 843652)
While we are on the subject:

Any chance that we can get more than 2 "shots" for VIRSS and CIWS? or reloads?
I believe many modern systems have more than 2 "shots" - Trophy, etc?

Maybe.