.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   What could we steal from other fantasy games... (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39031)

weimaar May 30th, 2008 07:10 PM

What could we steal from other fantasy games...

...implement it in this game in order to make dominions 3 even better? How about an item forge where one can choose the ingredients based on ones magic tech a la Age of wonders shadow magic and pay for it with gold/magic gems?

moderation May 30th, 2008 07:21 PM

Re: What could we steal from other fantasy games..

Let's steal the peasants from Warcraft 2. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...es/biggrin.gif

NTJedi May 30th, 2008 07:22 PM

Re: What could we steal from other fantasy games...

1) The ability to create and change events

2) The ability to setup planned events for a map

3) Allowing for a scriptable AI allowing the community to make the AI opponents more wise.

4) Improved diplomacy settings and official in-game agreements

5) Introduce a changing black market for the buying and selling of items lost in battle, gems, slaves, beasts, and secret spells.

6) Advanced Game Setting to increase/decrease battle turn limits. *important as computers continue to become more powerful*

7) Advanced Game Setting to increase/decrease unit and commander limits. *important as computers continue to become more powerful*

Renojustin May 30th, 2008 07:22 PM

Um Weimaar, we already have a very comprehensive magic item forging system.

johan osterman May 30th, 2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

weimaar said:
...implement it in this game in order to make dominions 3 even better? How about an item forge where one can choose the ingredients based on ones magic tech a la Age of wonders shadow magic and pay for it with gold/magic gems?

Not having designable magic items is a design choice.

Ironhawk May 30th, 2008 07:42 PM

I dont really think that adding the ability to design items/units to a game really adds anything, anyway. In the end, everyone ends up building basically the same thing just due to the demands of the game.

Meglobob May 30th, 2008 07:52 PM

Does dominions really need to steal ideas from other fantasy games?

I think its the other way around really, other fantasy games need to look at dominions and embrace originality and individuality which dominions has in vast amounts.

moderation May 30th, 2008 08:06 PM

Seriously though, Dominions could stand to steal a number of UI improvements from other games that would make units easier to manage. For instance, being able to create "stacks" of commanders a la Warlords II that you could easily reorder would help a lot with mid and late-game micromanagement nightmares.

MaxWilson May 30th, 2008 08:21 PM

Mid- and late-game I start renaming my commanders to their job titles. An indy priest who's supposed to go to province #49 and build a temple becomes "Build 49". The first thing I do on a turn after checking battle outcomes is to cycle through the commander list and do all the pre-determined moves. Build 49 moves one province closer to province #49, Forge-Boots forges another Earth Boots, Shuttle Fom moves a stack of units one step closer to my Fomoria stack, etc. All of this is done mindlessly before I start making hard strategic decisions like where to move real armies.

-Max

moderation May 30th, 2008 08:38 PM

Yeah, I've started renaming my pretenders that way as well. There's a few things I don't like about this system though. The first one is that it makes can spell out your intentions to other players which can be a bad thing. But the bigger problem is simply that you can't display that many characters from the strategic map. Also renaming your commanders every turn to keep things straight is a bit annoying since I also rename my mages according to their random picks. Finding a better way to organize all the various bits of information: magic picks, orders, battle groups, communion configurations, etc. would make the management part of the game more enjoyable.