.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Approaching Infinity (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Patch Notes (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50661)

Lord Felix February 20th, 2015 10:29 AM

Patch Notes

So the 1.1 patch is out! This presented me with a quandary, because the patch is said to be incompatible with previous saves, and in my current game I'd reached Crafting Nirvana in sector 201. That means I'd maxed out all officer crafting skills, plus I found an artifact that decreased the number of parts needed to craft an item. So it took me just one of each part! So I could make 12 of an item, upgrade as appropriate, then get 100% of the parts back on salvage! Last night I made some awesome items, such as a reactor with, IIRC, WEP 3 DEV 6 SUP 0 SPD 25!

But I had to get the patch, so I'm starting over in sector 1.

The patch claims it is incompatible with earlier saves, and no doubt there are inconsistencies, but at least the patched version of the game will open and run earlier saves.

This is good to know, because if you try to start the patched version with no old saves available to the program, it acts like a new install and demands a 19-digit registration code! I play at home and save my email at an office computer, so there is no way I could retrieve the registration code right now.

The solution to this is to continue an old save, and THEN pick new game.

I hope somebody can post a list of the contents of the patch. I know it fixes a few known bugs. Does it add new features?

Tim Brooks February 20th, 2015 11:41 AM

Re: Patch Notes

Hi Lord Felix:

If you go to the product page:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Ibology/AI/AI_page.html

On the right side of the page is the downloads and the patch is there. Right underneath the patch is a link to view the patch history, which has all the info you want.

It does add new features as well as fixing bugs.

Lord Felix February 20th, 2015 12:31 PM

Awesome. Somehow I'd missed that.

Cyberis February 20th, 2015 02:08 PM

Tim,
Do you know if there will be updated demos?

Lord Felix February 20th, 2015 02:23 PM

The patch would be worth it if all it did was give the option to change fonts. That's a big improvement.

Tim Brooks February 20th, 2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberis (Post 828617)
Tim,
Do you know if there will be updated demos?

Hi Cyberis:

We have been so focused on the patch, that we haven't discussed the demos yet. If the update changes the demo enough to warrant the work, then we will do a new version.

Tagger February 20th, 2015 06:20 PM

Excited to be trying the new patch !
Keep it going guys :)

OrionM42 February 20th, 2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Felix (Post 828612)
So the 1.1 patch is out!

This is good to know, because if you try to start the patched version with no old saves available to the program, it acts like a new install and demands a 19-digit registration code!

The solution to this is to continue an old save, and THEN pick new game.

Hey, Thanks, Lord Felix! I consider this a very useful piece of information. I can find the 19-digit code, if I have to; but I really don't care to re-enter it, if I don't have to. Between typos, other digital clumsiness, and my innate dislike of DRM implementations, I am better off not having to do this. (I understand the practical need for DRM requirements, and the one accompanying this game is more reasonable than many, ;) but they really annoy me, nonetheless.)

Anyways, when I finish my current game (which may take a while -- I am currently up to Sector 41, and having lots of Fun!), I will start a new "sacrificial" game, load the Update, resume my saved game, commit Hari-kari very quickly, and then start a new game for real. Most people would probably consider this strange; but it will tend to make me much happier. Thanks!

ibol February 21st, 2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

demands a 19-digit registration code!
This will not be true for everyone. It did not happen to me. That being said, I can't rule it out. But if it does, it does not count as a "unique install".

And that being said, you should really keep you serial # / "key" somewhere safe and accessible ;)

Lord Felix February 21st, 2015 11:03 AM

I could have been more precise.

Since I read that the patch is incompatible with earlier saves, I moved my save-folder to a backup on my desktop and deleted it from where it usually lives. Then I installed the patch, which created a plain vanilla starter save-folder, which had no record of my having registered. Therefore, when I started, the game thought it was a new install and asked for the 19-digit key.

I created the problem myself by deleting the old save-folder, which wasn't necessary. Most users won't have this problem.

To fix this, since I had no access to my registration key without driving to my office, I just deleted the save-folder created by the patch and pasted in the earlier save-folder that I had backed up.

When I then started over, it gave me the options of New Game and also Continue. One doesn't need to continue the old game; at that point one can just start a ver. 1.1 New Game.