.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   amphiptere plus ma man's units (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46365)

earcaraxe September 23rd, 2010 02:39 PM

amphiptere plus ma man's units

since one of my favorite is ma man, i did a little experimenting, and i got stuck with the amphipteres.any ideas for how to use them? i tested them with lycantropos amulets - they got high hp thats why - versus ma tien'chi's PD10 and even 6 of them (costing 30 air and 18 nature) got beaten. Maybe if i could give them leadership but how? their poison spit - which wasnt used this time because of the amulet - seems very weak too.

i am also looking for ideas when to use ma man's longspearmen, light cavalry and axemen. It seems - tho i didnt test it - that the tower guards (or the other units) are almost always superior choices (when i got the resources). I'm curious of your opinions.

Kadelake September 23rd, 2010 04:15 PM

Re: amphiptere plus ma man's units

CBM makes longspearmen map move 2, which might give them a niche. (Though CBM is kind of mean to Eriu. Their longspearmen have the exact stats but only map move 1) The long-spear can be kind of good during expansion since it allows them to repel ordinary spears. The axemen simply looks really inferior to the tower guards, or almost any unit really.

That the way in dominions, sometimes units are added for flavour and not for their usefulness :)

Psycho September 23rd, 2010 04:45 PM

I am also curious if anyone found a use for amphiteres and kithairon lions. Both units got commander status in CBM, but 0 leadership and only misc slots.

earcaraxe September 23rd, 2010 04:59 PM

kithraironic lions according to my experiences are useful when wearing a lycanthropos amulet. they are somewhat stronger then cu sidhe/animals/lamias summoned from the same amount of gems. However cu sidhe are stealthy and can be blessed (my testing didnt use any blesses).

Rytek September 23rd, 2010 06:41 PM

So many better ways to make flying raiders with 30 air and 18N gems.

Now that you have them, only one good thing for them. Put them with an army of your knights and hope they take spells that would kill some of your good units (knights)

The only other thing I could think of is if you had some S casters and give them flying boots to cast ethereal on your flying gem sinks.

Even without a good bless A warden with that many gems makes a far superior flying raider, heck, you could make 2 wardens.

Flying boots, Vine shield. with just a n4, e4 bless this makes a far superior raider who can take out pd 10.

Finalgenesis September 24th, 2010 04:59 AM

It's anything but efficent and probably for messing around only, but maybe 2 water bottles on a Amphitere could work, though Con 6 might be a reach early on. In cold provinces it could be quite fun, against certain cold nations if may make a passable raider I suppose.

It'll be the modern equivalent of a bio-bomber heh, just be sure to keep it out of combat (hold x5 stay behind troops) or just retreat if there are others of your magic commanders present. It could possibly work as anti-raider PD patrol against certain raiders or just a quick "drop and run" in a front line battle (where you have other magic commanders). Lifelong protection on it might work, though blood access is a problem, you'll probably need a blood indie prov early to bother with it.

earcaraxe September 24th, 2010 09:19 AM

that ice cold version of two molotov cocktails are a nice idea.

lifelong protection also gives 5 ud leadership, so that begins to look much brighter now. i wonder what should/could be led by the amphiptere.

Stavis_L September 24th, 2010 12:30 PM

Note that there is not much inherently good that the Amphipteres themselves bring to the table for the ideas above, except for having enough hitpoints to survive a stray missile or two and flying.

Jarkko September 27th, 2010 06:23 AM

Amphis count as fliers, large monsters and archers. Use that to shield your other troops.

Give each a ring-of-regen, Place them in front with: "Hold or Fire (closest)" x5, Attack Rear
Place a gazillion of Longbowmen behind them, and the amphis will draw all the attacks and Fire orders which are aimed at closest, archers, fliers or large monsters. With the ring of regen they should be able to negate the damage they recieve and at least make them take less afflictions.

But would I summon amphis? Not likely, unless I got some special site which reduces the summoning price :)

HoneyBadger October 3rd, 2010 07:11 PM

Does the amphiptere even have swamp survival?