.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer & AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Dom III Gone Gold (Domiiigogo) - (Started) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=29908)

PashaDawg August 27th, 2006 07:00 PM

Re: Game Started - Turn 4

Turn 4 is out.

Deadline is Monday night at 9pm Boston Time.

Pasha

PashaDawg August 27th, 2006 07:01 PM

Scales Bug, Kissblade?

KissBlade August 27th, 2006 07:57 PM

I lost all my order/growth scales in my capital.

I'm not too thrilled if my misfortune 2 takes advantage of this either =).

BigJMoney August 27th, 2006 08:09 PM

I'm assuming this is a known bug? I wonder how often it hits. I just realized one other potential problem with me posting my AARs now. I might give away info my scouts find out about my enemies. It seems unfair to share all that with everyone else. I don't want any bad blood. I'll try to post this stuff while leaving those things out, I guess.

=$=

BigJMoney August 27th, 2006 09:05 PM

Month 2 – The Year Of THE HAG

It didn’t even take one month for Erkeborn to decide to become Yohlla’s prophet. After his first meeting with her in the Hall of the Fathers, she took residence inside the Great Keep. Immediately, people began to find passion and motivation around this woman. She healed the sick and tended to the children, even spending many days teaching them lessons of greatness, and the stories of their great fathers; many stories which even Ulm’s lords did not know. The livestock grew more fertile and the people had more weddings. It was a wedding, in fact, that proved to Erkeborn that Yohlla was truly miraculous. Through a vision, she told him that a lovely woman was waiting for him in a cave. It was true. A troll had captured her while she was traveling and had eaten her horse. It would have eaten her sooner or later had Erkeborn not rescued her. She was magically gifted and became his true love. Erkeborn rejoiced and became Yohlla’s prophet.

As weeks passed, the lords of Ulm grew nervous at the way the people regarded Erkeborn and especially Yohlla. It was, however, at this time that Erkeborn found the scout which Yohlla had predicted. He punished his Lieutenant publicly for not reporting him the news and sent the scout, Bune on a new assignment. When he asked the lords for permission to attack the people in the south, they were happy to have him leave the city, so they agreed. Not knowing of the situation, they thought he would lose, and felt that either outcome was desirable. Yohlla chose to go with him to be his counselor and the troops’ inspiration.

“Son, I don’t think you appreciate how short your time in this world is. You have asked the lords’ for permission to attack, but your plans call for a battle two to four months from now. By then, you might miss your opportunity.” The hag was walking with Erkeborn down a secluded path one evening after dinner. They often went on walks at this hour, but this was in a place he’d not been before.

“Mother,” for this was how he and many others respected her now, “I wait this time so I can be prepared. We have not fought any major battles in many years. If we invade now, we will lose. Is there something you can teach me?”

She chuckled. It was always odd the way such a beautiful young lady cackled like an old crone. “If you are asking me to what extent my powers flow, I say that you will find out soon enough. No, this is a matter of practicality. Your people have grown rich with extra money. Your beloved province has never been so prosperous; you must act.”

“Maybe, great woman, this is when I will teach you a small lesson, then. The gold of my people is great, yes; even greater than the lords remember. Still, my people can only work so hard. All the money in the world will not buy them more time. Even now, they are producing weapons for me as fast as they can. I cannot ask for more than that.”

“You cannot. Your people work for you and me, as well. But, there is one thing you must do with your wealth to make it win battles for you. Gold can win battles, son.”

“And what magic is this?” ask Erkeborn, skeptically.

The ageless woman did not answer him, but as they rounded a corner in the path, she bent down and moved some foliage to the side, revealing a smaller path a child might frequent while playing games of seeking and finding. On the other side, however, was a mercenary camp. The prophet commander cleared his throat and approached boldly.

KissBlade August 27th, 2006 10:07 PM

Just sent my turn. Sorry =)

PashaDawg August 27th, 2006 10:28 PM

Re: Game Started - Turn 5

Turn 5 sent.

Deadline is Monday night at 9pm Boston time.

Pasha

BigJMoney August 28th, 2006 12:00 AM

Re: Game Started - Turn 5

I hope these aren't bothering people, but I enjoy this.

Month 3 – The Year Of THE HAG

Mercenaries are a dangerous risk. They will appeal to your desire to wage war, and then at the last minute, you will find they have been hired by your worst enemy. The surprise is, of course, the worst part about it. It’s one thing to have your plans delayed. It’s another thing to fight an unanticipated battle against someone you had expected to have on your side. Fortunately for Erkeborn, Gynter Blukraft’s men showed up when he expected them. These Sonnenkinder were not as well equipped as the Ulmish regular infantry, but there were a lot of them; in fact, they more than doubled the size of the prophet’s force when they arrived. The time of waiting was over sooner than anticipated. The lords were squeamish at first with the prospect of relying on mercenary forces, but when the men showed up, fully equipped in battle dress, the hearts of the people were filled with hope, and the lords breathed a sigh of relief. The next month would be spent waging war in the Iron Range. After that area was under control, the amount of laborers would be increased, the supply train would prosper, and the Great Keep would be able to equip the Ulmish armies much better. This was a good thing, because there was no lack of recruitment and training. Over the past few months, news of Yohlla the hag had spread across many lands. It was said that merchants of the Wailwind Waters were now giving thanks to her and offering small sacrifices in hopes of calmed weather for increased profit. Pagan nomads out in the deserts in Linshire were settling down and forming communities centered on tribal worship. They believed that their prayers weakened the power of the magical beasts that attacked them, giving them the power to conquer them.

One more preparation was being made. There was an old man who lived by himself higher in the mountains than even the Great Keep. Yohlla went to speak with him. Erkeborn did not know what happened there, and he did not ask. He did notice, right before making preparations to leave for war, that this old man had taken up residence inside the Keep. He would have to ask Yohlla who this man was, and how he could help their people. As the army marched south, he prepared himself to ask her about the man. “I am surprised you have not asked me about the man I went to visit high in the mountains, son.” said the hag before he spoke. “It is important, though, and I will tell you. That man is the only one left of my people who knows one of the greatest secrets, the secret of the mystic forge.”

“Mother, when you say, ‘your people’, who are you speaking of?” asked Erkeborn, obviously distracted.

“Who do you think?” she questioned him, “When you look at what I do, and what I spend my time on, who would you say are my people?”

“I would think you mean our people, the people of Ulm. I just never heard you say it that way before.”

“Well, this man is what I call a true son. He has kept the secrets that others have forgotten. He is one of my people, but truly, all of you are my people. Anyway, did you ever wonder why I think it is important that we go to war at all? Some of us will die. You might even die, and your beautiful wife would be broken by it.”

Erkeborn was still a bit distracted at the way she was speaking, so he answered the question slowly, “Our people wish it. They long to inherit the land. Besides, look at the way these other people live. They are nomadic, and they cannot produce from the land what the land tries to give them. They are irresponsible and dangerous. Finally, I do it because you ask. You perform miracles and you are the savior of our people.”

Yohlla nodded while he spoke. “Those are all noble reasons, but there is more to it than that. Why would I save my people, if they did not need saving? That is an important question. More specifically, however, we are taking these lands to the south, because I believe there are old sites of power that we must rediscover. It is only by discovering these sites that my true son can do what he needs to do for your people.” Before the prophet commander could respond however, a rider appeared on the horizon. It turned out to be Bune the scout. After another month of investigation, he had found that in the thick forests of Robber Home, beyond the mountains to the south, there was hidden a great silver mine. Erkeborn rewarded him this time with a purse of gold. A lot more gold than that would be produced, should he be able to wrest that mine from the pagans.

“Bune, what kind of forces must we contend with there, so we can take that mine for our people?” asked the commander.

“Sir, I do not know. I saw no men in that forest, but there were evil things there. There were large horned serpents, and wicked looking women spoke words to control them. They worshipped a god there, too, but I do not know his name.” The scout appeared disturbed but tried to sound confident.

Yohlla dismissed the scout and spoke to her prophet, “I believe these creatures are lamias. They worship a false god now, but if they were to become my people, they would aid us in battle. They would make a unique ally. I also suspect they guard secret sites there besides simply a mine of silver, but I cannot know this for sure. Do not disturb them now, though, because they are powerful magic creatures and your men are not ready.” You must consider preparations.

PashaDawg August 28th, 2006 12:16 AM

Shall we restart?

Hi All:

I know we had a good start today, but I don't like that Kissblade will suffer from the dumb scales bug and not get what he bargained for.

I suggest we restart even though it is a small pain. (And, sorry to the munny man for spoiling his storyline.)

Anybody strongly against a restart?

Pasha

KissBlade August 28th, 2006 01:53 AM

Re: Shall we restart?

Mind you, I'm actually not against NOT restarting as well as I understand is is a hassle for everyone =). Also I must say I quite enjoy Ulm's story and it might inspire me to write my own ... =)

djo August 28th, 2006 06:57 AM

I haven't seen the latest turn yet, but why not keep going? We've got the first handful of turns done fast (since it was a weekend).

(I'm not actually against restarting, if that's what people want. My start position is bad, and I just had a famine.)

PashaDawg August 28th, 2006 08:32 AM

Ok. I am happy to keep going, too.

Given that KissBlade is not against continuing as is, then let's keep going. He's the aggrieved party.

Pasha

PashaDawg August 28th, 2006 08:04 PM

Turn 6

Turn 6 is out.

Deadline is Tuesday at 9pm Boston time.

Pasha

PashaDawg August 29th, 2006 10:14 PM

Re: Turn 6

For some reason Big J Money has been silent and has not submitted a turn. I am assuming this is because there is a problem beyond his control. So, let's wait until morning before hosting.

Pasha

PashaDawg August 29th, 2006 11:09 PM

Re: Turn 7

Turn 7 is out.

Deadline is Wednesday at 9pm Boston time.

Pasha

PashaDawg August 30th, 2006 08:08 PM

Re: Turn 8

Turn 8 is out.

Deadline is Thursday at 9pm Boston time.

Pasha

PashaDawg August 31st, 2006 10:25 PM

Re: 3.0 Gold Waiting Game - Short PBEM (Open)

Quote:

BigJMoney said:
Are we hosting on schedule regardless of who sends in turns? Let's not slack on that 1/day cycle. I'll be the first to say that we shouldn't make exceptions unless in emergencies. After all, we only have ~ a month to play this. If life allows, it would even be nice to have a few days where we can get 2 turns in.

=$=

No turn yet from Big J Money with the deadline passed. I will wait a bit longer, but I will take Big J Money for what he urged previously http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif and will host at 10:00 pm.

For what it is worth, if a player needs an extension or a break in turns, please just ask. I am happy to be flexible.

Pasha

PashaDawg August 31st, 2006 11:10 PM

Turn 9

Turn 9 is out

Deadline is Friday at 9pm Boston time.

Pasha

BigJMoney September 1st, 2006 02:13 PM

Re: Turn 9

Thanks for going ahead. My wireless connection at home has been out for the past 2 days, and with all the workload I have right now, getting out wasn't possible in time. Now that I know I can't rely on it, I think I'll be able to schedule trips to WiFi spots to play my turns until my internet is back again. I'm at Panera right now, playing turn 9. In a way, this is fair because of all the poor starts I hear about, lol. Missing one turn isn't the end of the world.

=$=

KissBlade September 1st, 2006 04:59 PM

haha, I would gladly stale a turn if it means getting my scales back =).

PashaDawg September 1st, 2006 05:08 PM

Glad you're still with us, BigJMoney!

PashaDawg September 1st, 2006 11:02 PM

Re: Turn 10

Turn 10 is out.

Deadline is Saturday night at 9 Boston time.

Pasha

PashaDawg September 2nd, 2006 09:32 AM

What schedule do players want?

Hi:

Now that we have reached turn 10, do players want to keep the current daily schedule, or should we switch to a 3 turns per week schedule?

Also, I will be out of town starting mid-Sunday until Tuesday. So, we'll need to take a little break.

Pasha

djo September 2nd, 2006 09:38 AM

Re: What schedule do players want?

Daily until you leave, then 3/wk after?

PashaDawg September 2nd, 2006 01:14 PM

Ok with me!

KissBlade September 2nd, 2006 03:08 PM

daily is good for me. =) My turn really consists of looking to see if my scales returned and then ending turn when I don't see it has XD.

PashaDawg September 2nd, 2006 06:47 PM

Turn 11 is out

Turn 11 is out

Deadline is TUESDAY NIGHT at 9pm because I will be away. But, I don't leave until Sunday around 1 in the afternoon. So, if players get their turns in... I will host before I leave.

Pasha

BigJMoney September 2nd, 2006 08:43 PM

Re: Turn 11 is out

Month 4 – The Year Of THE HAG

Erkeborn, the commander of the Ulmish armies and Prophet of Yohlla swiftly kicked the side of one of the fallen. This one didn’t look like there were any wounds on him, but when the body rolled over, he noticed from the loll of the head that the neck was snapped clean. Sometimes the angle the maul hits the head causes the neck to break without leaving any bruising. A good kill. He knew that his armies of men armed with mauls, hammers and axes must seem strange to some of these other people. After all, they had rites and rituals that revolved around cutting and spilling blood. It was barbaric. To the Ulmish mind, it was better to crush your opponent beneath hammer and foot. It was cleaner, and there was a sense of power and dominion associated with it. Gynter’s men had performed admirably, but this was an easy enough battle that Ulm probably could have won it on their own. Gynter was given the task of roaming the land and quelling any remaining dissenters. He took to it with a sly grin, probably knowing he would keep any valuables he found for himself. Erkeborn had other priorities. He would dedicate this land to Yohlla, overseeing the construction of a temple here to help educate the local mountain people. In many ways, these people weren’t unlike his own, and they had already begun to recognize Yohlla’s worthiness already. He had seen it in the eyes of their quaking soldiers as they fought.

One day, a scout returned to him bearing a body. The body was Bune’s. Erkeborn was angry. “Well? If you return, you must have important news for me, right?” This scout had never known Erkeborn before his new reputation as Prophet, and was uneasy speaking to him.

“Ss – sir… we found him dead from his injuries… we retrieved the body first. Look, here is the report scroll!” Erkeborn was grateful for the skill of his spies. Their technique was to record what they had found on report scrolls that in case they should perish and be found, then the scrolls could be retrieved. The news on the scroll was grave. To the southeast of Robber Home was a land known as Machaka. In this land, the people worshipped a god, but the name was unknown to him. His report found that there were giant creatures that were kept on enormous metal shackles. To feed them, a horse was brought near the creature. At first, the creature remained motionless, then with surprising quickness it would jump on the horse, biting it once before retreating. The horse would fall down screaming, then die after several moments of agony. The creatures fed on these corpses. The report also mentioned something about them spouting flames when angered. The scout seemed to think the land was teeming with people, but he was not able to write again before the report ended. “We think he was attacked by hostile natives, but managed to hide himself before he lost his blood. I didn’t dare… enter the land without updating you, sir.” The commander looked his scout directly in the eye to tell him his next assignment. There was no use going easy about the fact that he’d be replacing Bune in that region.

Inside the dark walled throne room of the Great Keep, an old man named Ruprecht was standing before the thrones of the lords of Ulm. The soft voices of the old men echoed resoundingly throughout the great stone chamber.

“But magic is not permitted in this land, Ruprecht. It is a distraction. The people must never fail to work hard, and magic makes things too easy on them. You know the law.” The lord who sat in the middle was speaking to Ruprecht, his speech confident with finality.

Ruprecht replied, “You have been assessing taxes too long, great lord of Ulm. It is too bad you have forgotten the rights of your subjects in that time. I do not wish to practice magic, I wish to gain access to the ancient laboratory for the purpose of research.”

“And what would you use the magical research for, other than for casting spells, Ruprecht? Go back to your home in the mountain, you know we cannot allow you in there.” said another one of the lords; he to the right of the last one.

Ruprecht replied again, but with anger this time, “Look in your great book of laws, old, useless men, and see that a master smith is never to be denied entry into the library or the Great Forge for any reason! You will see that if you deny a smith his duty, your honor is forfeit, and your inheritance as well!”

In unison, the men on the thrones rose and began to shout and yell curses at the man standing on the floor below them. They never got the chance to ask the guards to see him out, because he quickly left.

BigJMoney September 3rd, 2006 01:54 AM

Re: Turn 11 is out

Month 5 – The Year Of THE HAG

More than ever, the people of the home province of Ulm desperately began to pray. While Yohlla was away at war, an earthquake struck their home and destroyed their precious temple. To make matters more grim, the five lords who sat on the throne to guide them were in the temple that day to inform the temple caretakers about new religious tax laws. None of them lived. There was only one man in the Great Keep who was willing to speak with the people. He was the old man, Ruprecht. Ruprecht knew the true reason for the deaths of the five keepers of Ulm. For her to destroy her own temple and ruin a thousand Ulmish lives in the process was mere consequence to old Yohlla – she was among her people, and this would not be the final calamity these people would face in the following years of her ascension. It was up to Ruprecht now to do two things. Most importantly, he had to help his goddess do what she must to bring the people of Ulm into their eternal ruler ship. Also important would be his role in looking after the people during these times, helping them hold on to success.

“Great and strong people,” the elderly man announced from atop the balcony of the Great Keep, “it is no time to be afraid. Though we have lost the wise men who have kept rule over us for many years, the timing of this misfortune is no coincidence. Was it not recently that we found our Mother Yohlla? Was it not only months ago that she anointed the Prophet to spread her word and bring the nation of Ulm into new lands? Was it not only days ago when news came that our armies conquered the land to the south, bringing those people to join with ours in this good empire? In this time of change, these things remain true. In losing our old guides, we have found new ones. And today, I will announce yet another new thing, so that you may have hope. The ancient library and forge that our ancestors used to build the foundation for our empire have been opened and the secrets of the old smiths are available again! As in the days of old, blacksmiths and craftsmen will lead our nation to greatness under the banner of the mighty Yohlla, the mother princess of education; the one who is with us, even when she is far away!”

The first temple to Yohlla in the Iron Range was built. Before it was even dedicated, the local people traveled to worship at it. Such was the affection the ageless woman inspired. Rumors arrived that a major barbarian tribe had risen to power above all others in the neighboring province of Scytha. Erkeborn knew well that barbarians usually remained in small tribes and fought each other into regression, so this alarmed him. One night, he had a dream. In his dream a strong barbarian was running through rain, carrying a baby. It was dark… nighttime, but there were no clouds. Then it wasn’t rain after all, but… arrows falling all around the barbarian while he splashed through a stream. The barbarian made it into the woods and found a clearing. Quickly, he set the baby down and commanded it to stand. The baby was too young and could not. The arrows found them and they ran for a while more. Again, he found safety and placed the baby down on the ground. He shouted for the baby to stand, but it was too young to yet walk. As arrows came down again, he screamed in frustration and then an arrow pierced his heart. Erkeborn realized himself to be walking toward the baby now. As he stared down at the infant, it began to cry and bleed until it died. When he awoke, he realized the meaning. Now was time to kill the infant nation before it found its legs and became perilous.

PashaDawg September 3rd, 2006 10:03 AM

Turn 12

Turn 12 is out.

Deadline is Tuesday night at 9pm Boston time (GMT-5)

Great job on the AAR, Big J Money!

Pasha

BigJMoney September 3rd, 2006 03:07 PM

Re: Turn 12

I've been a bit slow in posting these, so there are obviously many of them to come, soon.

Month 6 – The Year Of THE HAG

Smoke rose high into the air like a pillar. A great bonfire and sacrifice went up tonight on the very grounds where a new temple to Yohlla was to be erected. The men in Erkeborn’s war camp celebrated and enjoyed themselves. Even the few survivors remaining in Gynter’s band joined the frivolity. And, why not? What had they left when all their companions had either been slaughtered or run into the wilderness, never to return? Their commander did not join them however, for he was greatly disturbed.

“Wise mother, you are great and powerful. Do you understand that we all trust you with our lives?” Yohlla was with him in his tent, sitting on a soft bench. Were someone to enter, they would not realize the significance of these two, speaking casually and meeting together as they were.

She replied, “Erkeborn, when you ask a question like that of me, I can tell you wish to speak about something. This would be a better conversation if you simply said it to me.”

Her Prophet sighed, “This battle, today; I was lead into it. I did not fight it because I chose to fight, but because I had a dream which told me I must. This is the first time I have seen a prophecy and then seen it fulfilled. Still, I felt today as if we could have lost. This was no easy battle, and there were times when it might have gone the other way. I thought the prophecy implied we were meant to win and that it could be no other way.”

Yohlla replied, “It could not have been. Things happened the way they did, and nobody can change it, not even you could have. However, the prophecy fulfilled its role not in helping you win the fight, but by bringing you onto the stage to perform. It is still up to you to win it. Do not ever forget that, or else you and your men will become complacent. I think today’s lesson was an important one. Still, I feel there is more on your mind than even this.” She was right, there was more he needed to speak with her about.

“We won today, but we had a hard time with these barbarians. They even knew who we fought for, yet still they gave us a difficult time. I cannot imagine what it will be like when we must fight the terrible creatures south of us that can suck the life right out of a horse if moments. Any people who would use such creatures are terrible, indeed.”

“Erkeborn, there is nothing I can tell you that will reassure you, but I will say that you have no choice but to conquer this fear. With my help, there is no creature on this world that can defeat you, except your own fear; not even strange creatures with magnificent powers.”

“But mother, you are so beautiful. I know you will help us, and we will give our lives for you, but how can you protect us from such dark forces?”

The goddess stood up and fidgeted with some of the sparse tent furniture. She paused for a moment and then asked, “Am I young or old?” Rather than wait for his confused response, she continued, “I am both. The reason I appear to you people as young and old belies the very truth of who I am in power. I am wonderful and I am terrible. No, do not interrupt me, son of Ulm, but listen. People everywhere are drawn to me. They realize that I can make their lives better if only they would worship me. This happens, and so I am wonderful to them. What they do not know is that this comes at a price. Wherever I walk in this mortal realm, great misfortune besets those whom I live among. This is not something I desire, but it is who I am. Even now, thousands in the great city have died from a disastrous earthquake that my presence there has caused. Your enemies will know this wrath too, but you must not neglect your role as Prophet, and you must not fear.”

PashaDawg September 5th, 2006 09:31 PM

Re: Turn 13

Turn 13 is out.

Deadline is Wednesday night at 9pm Boston time.

PashaDawg September 6th, 2006 08:46 PM

Re: Turn 14

Turn 14 is out.

Deadline is Thursday at 9pm Boston Time.

Pasha

Ballbarian September 7th, 2006 12:19 AM

Re: Turn 14

The AAR is looking really good Big$!

PashaDawg September 7th, 2006 07:40 PM

Re: Turn 15

Turn 15 is out.

Deadline is Friday night at 9:00 pm Boston Time.

Pasha

BigJMoney September 8th, 2006 12:49 AM

Month 7 – The Year Of THE HAG

Things were underway once again in the Great City. In fact, even though the leaders had been killed two months previously, the people were working harder than ever to contribute to the war funds. Ruprecht was turning out to be a stern taskmaster and, from the day he had taken over leadership, he had expected a lot from the Ulmans. If anything, he was working harder than anyone, however. Not only was he now running the city and Keep, but day and night he focused on two important tasks. He studied the secrets of the magic of his fathers and he trained young men to do the same. On this particular occasion, he was sending his finest pupil into the world to gain some military experience.

“Son, no matter what the risk is to you, make sure you keep those troops alive! They are your people, and your responsibility. I didn’t teach you any of this stuff for nothing. You don’t go hiding under a rock or in a cave once the enemy comes running at you, but you do what you were trained to do. Now, the spy tells me that he will take you to the field of battle. He should keep you safe until you get there. Hopefully during the months of your service, we will uncover some things that you can learn when you get back. For now, though, our armies need good smiths traveling with them. And, when you aren’t fighting, make sure you are looking after their armor and weapons. That’s good armor they wear out there; the best! But in the heat of the waste lands, they don’t always take good care of it. You keep an eye out, kid, I know you’ll do well.”

The young smith embraced his mentor, and after a final look of approval from Ruprecht, the spy and the smith headed out of the keep and onto the road into the neighboring land. Linshire was the land of the desert nomads to the east. For some time now, they had become familiar with news of the wonderful Yohlla, and the time was come where these people should officially come under the reign of her chosen people.

As warlike as the people of Machaka were, they were also curious. Curious enough to ask questions about Yohlla. And, while they did not express interest in her as a god, it was causing tidings of disturbance and upheaval among many of the communities. Farmers and craftsmen were finding themselves engaged in discussions and meetings more and more about the idea of a woman who called herself a god; enough so, that the Ulmish spy in the province wondered why the late Bune had not considered meeting with some of these people on friendly terms before. If only the right ideas could be planted in their minds…

BigJMoney September 8th, 2006 12:54 AM

Month 8 – The Year Of THE HAG

In the desert heat, soldiers armed with spades were digging trenches. In the last battle that the Ulmish regular army fought, not many of their enemies were killed. Very few lay dead in the sands, because most of them had broken easily and retreated. It was almost as if they were waiting for Yohlla’s chosen people to come and subject them. The bodies that did lay motionless would be buried. These people were now his people, and Erkeborn was prepared to respect their dead appropriately.

“What will you do, now that your captain is dead?” asked the Prophet. The mercenary lieutenant he spoke with rubbed his hands together to shake off more sand.

“We will do what we have always done. These lands are torn with war, and we do not think it will be hard for us to find an employer.”

Erkeborn questioned him, “Why not join us? You are experienced men. You would receive better pay than a fresh recruit. I can even set you up as one of my own lieutenants. There is no need to wander, you can fight with us now. We will always be in need of good men.”

The man smirked and replied, “The day I join a regular army is the day my heart stops beating and I lay down to die. I think I speak for my companions here when I say that there is nothing like making this money. I would lose all desire for war if a man commands me to wage it, but while I can make a living for myself by my own sword, I am content with life.” The three men standing around him - the only men left of the Sonnenkinder - nodded in agreement. Erkeborn and the man looked each other in the eye for a bit longer, and then the men began to walk away. He watched them take their belongings and begin the long hike into the dunes. He watched them until they disappeared over the horizon and wondered at their spirit.

“Excuse me, commander?” a clear voice was calling. Erkeborn turned from his gaze to see a young man in earthen and bronze robes. Ah, yes. He had forgotten about this young man who had helped him win the battle so easily.

“Balin! Allow me to congratulate you on your first military operation. It was an easy one to be sure – don’t be fooled – but, I think it was good exercise for you. Actually, I’m glad you are here. There is something I need you to do, and I think this thing will broaden your experience even more. When you finish this project, you may return home right away. Come back to me again tonight after you have looked over the men’s equipment and we will discuss this further.” The young master smith headed toward the tents of the soldiers. It would be easier to look after their things while they were busy digging graves, so this was good timing. As the young man tended to his duty, Erkeborn wondered if he was making a mistake in giving such an important assignment to such a young man. The man had promise and Yohlla had spoken very, very highly of the men Ruprecht would be sending him. Still, this was important. To settle his doubt, he decided that it would be permissible for him and his forces to spend a month resting in these lands while he personally oversaw the first stage of the project. After all, what was one month in the eternal reign of his goddess?

[Edit: Thanks, ballbarian! I just noticed you aren't even in our little game, but you are browsing the AAR. I am very pleased to know it's being enjoyed.]

KissBlade September 8th, 2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

PashaDawg said:
Ok with me!

I'd prefer weekly as things have not quite heated up yet. The majority of my turns are done in about 10 -15 minutes tops. When things get around 25 or wartime, I wouldn't mind slowly down for others. =)

PashaDawg September 9th, 2006 03:30 PM

Turn 17 is out.

Deadline is Sunday at 9pm GMT -5 (Boston Time).

Pasha

BigJMoney September 9th, 2006 06:55 PM

Re: Turn 17 is out.

Month 9 – The Year Of THE HAG

If you were to have visited Linshire one month ago, you would have had no idea that this was the same land. What was once a dry desert basin had become a verdant hillside country. Staying for a while had been a good idea. Despite the disapproval of his goddess, he knew that she was the reason their progress had been so rapid. He had never seen men work so hard to search for a well, and they were rewarded for their hard work. Atop the green land, however, was the real reason they were still here. Smoothly cut granite stones formed a low wall that spanned the entire slope. This was the foundation of his peoples’ second walled city. Things had gone underway and were now in full swing. Balin had performed phenomenally up to this point, and Erkeborn was confident that he would finish it properly.

To the east, a lonely mountain peninsula stared down upon the foundations at night. Ulm’s commander looked back into the mountain and wondered who lived there. No spies had made it that far east, since they were busy feeding him information from the dangerous lands in the south. He wondered if the people in that mountain had heard of his god yet. He believed they probably did, for, who could not know of the greatness of Yohlla? In his eyes, she was everyone’s mother. Erkeborn heard shouting. It was coming from the entrance to the camp. He made his way in that direction when three riders broke through the darkness, heading toward him. Two of them he recognized as his men, but the third was a dark skinned man he had never seen before. He wore strange clothes marked with bold and bright colors.

“Commander! We can barely understand this man’s tongue, but he carries a piece of parchment and is demanding that you read it. I have opened it to make sure it is safe, but I did not lay my eyes on the message. We have taken his weapons, and we are ready to do with him whatever you ask.”

Their commander replied, “Good. Hand me his message. Maybe it will explain where he is from or who he is.” Erkeborn read the parchment and then looked at the strange man. He paused in thought for a while and then ordered, “Elon, go and take a message from me to my spies. I am altering their assignments. Do not delay. Let this man leave our camp. He should return to his people, immediately. Do not give him any trouble.” He looked down at the message again, and wondered at the true meaning of the words there:

Dear Men of Ulm,

We are not a thoroughfare. Please reroute your spies, or we will continue to kill them.

Sincerely,
Your friends in the lands of Machaka

[Don't worry about me posting diplomatic relations in this 'AAR', because I won't. That would ruin the game. I will try figure out some way to represent it in the story appropriately.]

djo September 9th, 2006 08:26 PM

Heh. I had forgotten I'd sent that.

I have no problem in your posting any reasonable communications or observations.

KissBlade September 9th, 2006 09:00 PM

Heh, nothing wrong with posting diplomatic relations. Also Machaka are among the top patrollers of the game and thus very hard to spy upon =).

PashaDawg September 10th, 2006 10:33 PM

Turn 18

Turn 18 is out

Deadline is Monday at 9pm boston time

BigJMoney September 12th, 2006 02:14 PM

Re: Dom III Gone Gold (Domiiigogo) - (Started)

Ouch! I learned the hard way not to set a mercenary army to Fire and Retreat. I didn't realize retreating mercs don't come back. I also learned that shortbows have surprisingly long range. I had some longbows set all the way to the back of the map, and the enemy's shortbows were able to fire at them the first turn after movong forward once.

=$=

PashaDawg September 12th, 2006 09:09 PM

Re: Dom III Gone Gold (Domiiigogo) - (Started)

Haha

PashaDawg September 13th, 2006 07:50 PM

Turn 21

Turn 21 is out.

Deadline is Thursday night at 9pm Boston Time (GMT-5)

BigJMoney September 14th, 2006 09:55 PM

Re: Turn 21

Month 10 – The Year Of THE HAG

It is a wonder what prosperity can do for a people. Those who once barely survived in the desert wastes of Linshire were now becoming an educated populace of goods and commerce. With the speed of a spreading fire or a quaking tremor, those who lived in that land were becoming strong believers in this ageless lady Yohlla. For the first time ever, Erkeborn was struck with a thought he would regret and despise for the rest of his life. Was this a self-fulfilling prophesy? Were his people merely so inspired that they were finally living up to their potential and creating their own prosperous world? But that would mean all of Yohlla’s miracles were cheap magician’s tricks, and her prophesies untrue. He quickly cast all such notions from his mind. No, Yohlla was the savior of his people, he was sure of it. No, Erkeborn did not have the luxury of time to fill his head with philosophy and conjecture; especially not with the recent news. So far, reports from the home city had been positive. Despite the loss of the Keepers of Ulm to a mighty earthquake, the man Yohlla had recently enlisted to work within the great city had been in prime position to take the mantle of leadership and had been doing a good job – until now. He had pushed the people too far. Their recent loss was too great, and they had been worked too hard to support the wagons of war. Over the past month, massive rioting and rebellion had seized the lower class population of the city. Even some of the Ulmish nobles were grasping the opportunity to make capital gains on the unrest. Things had gotten so bad that the only solution would be to eventually send an army in to remind the people that their freedom and prosperity had a price. The people of Ulm had always been a great people, and now would have to be the least time such non-productive behavior could be tolerated. And, Ruprecht would have to be talked to. If the people were rioting so much, there was a reason for it. Erkeborn did not know the man, but from what Yohlla had told him, he was suspicion the man had the tendency to be over zealous at times. Fortunately, Yohlla herself volunteered to visit, for there was business she felt she needed to personally attend in the city anyway. Erkeborn was confident that her mere presence would help to solve problems immediately. Hopefully the job would not fall squarely on the backs of his fighting men who were needed for war. However, a lesson he learned came to mind. When there was a surplus of work for a man’s laborers to do, and gold sitting in the coffers yet to be used, a man should ask the gold to do his work for him.

PashaDawg September 14th, 2006 09:55 PM

Re: Turn 22

Turn 22 is out.

Deadline is Friday night at 9pm Boston Time.

Pasha

BigJMoney September 14th, 2006 09:56 PM

Month 11 – The Year Of THE HAG

Inside the laboratory, things were moving very quickly for an empire that once shunned every aspect of magic completely. There was a group of young men who were astonished at the things they learned or simply witnessed from this old man who seemed to possess an endless passion for his magical work. They learned to cast some spells in the ways of earthen magic, and they learned of possibilities they could explore by enchanting items with the power of arcane earth gems. Deep below the city was an ancient cavern where was housed the Great Forge of Ulm. These young men made constant expeditions down to this place to collect the deep magical earth gems that grew down there. Only in the darkest hours of the night did their old mentor, Ruprecht venture down there. Those were the hours when he would work on his most secret projects, for it was during the daytime that he had to divide his time between teaching and running the matters of the province. For an old man, his spirit was very bright. From time to time, he would also work closely with the great woman Yohlla, and together they forged items that the pupils used to expand their minds and increase their research potential.

Outside, things were not going so well. Even though the people were initially grateful for Ruprecht’s guidance, they were now completely sick of him. They were sick of being overworked for war, so they took their anger out on him, their figurehead. They even began to believe in fear that his new ways would corrupt them, and these lies especially made the poison of rebellion more potent. The fact that Yohlla had returned might have made things better, but she had chosen to make her presence a secret. To her, there were urgent matters more important than the temporary state of the peoples’ desires. Still, things were out of control. The Prophet looked out his window to witness another scuffle between one of his soldiers and some civilians. The morale of his troops was being affected by their police duty in their home city, and it didn’t even seem to be making a difference – not fast enough, anyway. If things didn’t change before the end of the month, he would have a difficult decision to make. However, he had looked into some mercenary options again. This time, he was able to catch the attention of one Arnaud who commanded a company of longbowmen. He had heard tales of the longbow, but had never seen one used in war before. Hopefully, these light troop wouldn’t mind a little bit of “tax” duty. The people of Ulm would soon see that their own leaders were more merciful about the collection of taxes than a local bully would be.

Later that day, Erkeborn found out that the scuffle he witnessed was actually an old witch who was casting curses on his men. He was fortunate to not have been out on the street himself at that hour. This had to end, now.

BigJMoney September 15th, 2006 12:13 AM

Month 12 – The Year Of THE HAG

The sound of hooves followed by the feet of twenty marching men became forever entrenched in the minds of the Ulmish that month. Ruprecht’s name was no longer tarnished among the people, for a new name took his place: Arnaud. Arnaud the villain, who pillaged the city at night, collecting as much money as he and his men could get their hands on. Unfortunately, during this month, some young men were killed when they tried to defend themselves. It was the price to be paid when a shepherd let a wolf roam among his sheep. Hopefully, by the end of the month, the people would see that paying their taxes was not so bad, after all.

“Son, the time has come for you do focus yourself on what you wish to be doing.” Yohlla smiled at Ruprecht, somewhere deep inside the Great Keep that stood watch over the Great City.

“I will do whatever you say, mother. Just tell me what you desire of the people. They have no leaders here. I am sure Erkeborn is faithful to you, and the people respect him, but he is away at war. We need someone to lead the people here, in the city. Why not you? Mother, why not make your permanent home here, among us? We would adore you here, forever.”

Yohlla smiled again, “I know you would, Ruprecht, and I will stay here awhile and watch over your work and the work your master smiths have been doing. However, I am not to be the leader of these people. They need a man. A man has always been the Keeper of Ulm, and a man it will always be. I made it that way myself, a long time ago, and I like it to be that way. There is a young man who lives outside the city. Do you want to know what he does? He makes shoes. He makes shoes for a living, but he deserves to be watching over this city, because he is the only blood here that is tied to the five Keepers whom I killed. Not only is his destiny tied by his blood, but he has a strong spirit. He has no experience with command, but he is one of the bravest and strongest men here; he just doesn’t know it. Bring him here to the keep, and have him work closely with your master smiths. He might even help them develop something they’ve been working on recently, he is an expert when it comes to boots and shoes.” She winked at the old smith.

“Lady, for you I will do anything,” was the smith’s reply.

“And Ruprecht,” said the goddesss.

“Yes?”

“Lower the taxes.”