.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   "Access Violation" (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51485)

RecruitMonty January 30th, 2017 11:03 PM

"Access Violation"

Dear MBT Community,

I am having a problem loading the data for a few of my own scenarios in ScenHack. The scenarios in question are using edited units - from my mods of OOBS 44, 35 and 42. Other scenarios using these don't fail to load up, however.

Now most of them were just "junk scenarios" to test out this or that unit in combat but one of them is actually a pretty good one and one I'd like to release so although it is playable in spite of this mysterious error it would be better if a solution could be found.

I get the following errors: "Access violation at address: 657A696C..." or "...417A5028".

Does anyone know what all of this means?

At first I thought it might have something to do with faulty encyclopaedia entries (dreaded "ü, ö or ä", I missed the first few times when cleaning them up), but I went through the likely candidates, eliminated them and then checked again only to find that this was not the problem.

Then I thought it might be an OOB error. Took a look around and found nothing to suggest that this was the case.

Could it be an lbm problem, an icon problem or perhaps a problem with infantry loadouts or maybe even a problem with the maps or something like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Monty

Imp January 31st, 2017 04:32 AM

Re: "Access Violation"

That sounds like a PC memory issue to me.

Mobhack January 31st, 2017 05:54 AM

If the supplied scenarios etc all load fine, with the supplied stock OOBs then there maybe a problem with your custom stuff.

Have you tried clearing any scenario introductions (those may have illegal characters in there, not just unit OOB text files), in fact ensure any of your new scenarios text files of any description dont have non standard ASCII.

Also, focus on any Icons you have made yourself. If scenarios (or a generated battle using them) that try to use your new stuff cause a crash then you may have a bad Icon in there.

However if they were working before - then go back to whatever you last did for customisation - a new text file, new OOB, or new icons you added lately.

I would firstly run the windows disk checking utility to see if you had errors, though. Perhaps run a bad sector check as well, overnight since the surface test takes forever. (One way to check that would be to copy the entire game over to a new folder elsewhere, and see if it starts to work in the new location, sometimes that will recover from a disk error, if the files themselves weren't too damaged).

shahadi January 31st, 2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecruitMonty (Post 836957)
Dear MBT Community,

I am having a problem loading the data for a few of my own scenarios in ScenHack. The scenarios in question are using edited units - from my mods of OOBS 44, 35 and 42. Other scenarios using these don't fail to load up, however. I get the following errors: "Access violation at address: 657A696C..." or "...417A5028".

Hmmm. Interesting, Scenhack using a DB application, I recall Borland (maybe.) So, I would suspect the db is issuing the error as an Open issue.

Try to open the scenarios after applying a filter.

If you like, send them to me, I'll poke around with them on my setup.

=====

RecruitMonty January 31st, 2017 03:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and offers of help, guys! :)

Some of the .lbms I have don't quite fill the display stuff, for instance - limited to very few by now. Would that cause an error of this sort?

Not all of the scenarios had an introduction. So it can't just be that. Only the one I mentioned specifically. I'll check and see if there is something wrong with the intro. to it. Maybe there is a character knocking about that isn't ASCII - although that would crash the game, right? That hasn't happened.

In the OOBs themselves there is nothing wrong with the characters I have used for names etc.. Although some of the icons don't necessarily display perfectly in the shp file. The gunboats, for instance, have a yellow line through them in MOBHACK but not in the game and in the shp file also no yellow line.

Hmm... . maybe it's the infantry icons. They are not my work. But then all the German infantry would be pfutsch and that isn't the case either.

I'll tinker about a bit myself for a while and if I don't have any luck I'll take Shahadi up on his very generous offer of tech support.

Here is a funny one, what about spaces in the text files? What if, say I have the following entry: "Icon: AMM Picture: AMM*"

Does the extra space after picture cause problems?

Wish me luck! :D

Mobhack January 31st, 2017 04:24 PM

As far as I recollect Scenhack does not read scenario info text, display lbms or shps etc.

When exactly does it crash e.g. "Scenario loads OK but when I go to screen X and select unit Y .. kaboom!". In order to debug something, one needs to know exactly what path is taken to get to the fault. That is far more helpful than a vague and woolly statement of "it has an access violation error!" with no specifics.

For instance - is everything OK until you go to open the formation detail screen. (Which would point you to something being wrong formations wise with the OOB in question I'd infer!).

Then what is special about the scenario that causes the crash?. Do other scenarios using that hacked OOB load OK?. If they work OK, then what's the difference - uses some particular unit or formation or weapon the others don't, perhaps?. Or uses something that's no longer there since it got edited out of that OOB...

RecruitMonty January 31st, 2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 836968)
As far as I recollect Scenhack does not read scenario info text, display lbms or shps etc.

When exactly does it crash e.g. "Scenario loads OK but when I go to screen X and select unit Y .. kaboom!". In order to debug something, one needs to know exactly what path is taken to get to the fault. That is far more helpful than a vague and woolly statement of "it has an access violation error!" with no specifics.

For instance - is everything OK until you go to open the formation detail screen. (Which would point you to something being wrong formations wise with the OOB in question I'd infer!).

Then what is special about the scenario that causes the crash?. Do other scenarios using that hacked OOB load OK?. If they work OK, then what's the difference - uses some particular unit or formation or weapon the others don't, perhaps?. Or uses something that's no longer there since it got edited out of that OOB...

It is purely a problem with ScenHack. In-game everything is fine. No crashes whatsoever. Just one or two scenarios in ScenHack fail to register properly when I click on the "make tables" function under the SQL tab - specifically six of mine all of which use modified OOBs (units from 35, 44, and 42).

Other Scenarios I've made have, however been processed by ScenHack without any problems and have produced tables in SQL without incident. These also used the same OOBs and even the same units in some cases.

I hope that clarifies things.

The game runs fine. It is just ScenHack that isn't happy and only in the case of those six scenarios. It loads incomplete tables for those scenarios and I get those two error messages each time (one for one half and one for the other).

It is not the Borland problem. I downloaded the fix for that and everything runs great now.

I have a disk version of the game so I've got full functionality.

Incidentally, I did a "Broken Link" check in the vanilla OOBs recently - USA and found a whole bunch of units with Nationality set to "0". Is this a bug?

DRG January 31st, 2017 08:37 PM

Scenhack was designed to find errors based on the GAME STANDARD OOBs.......not custom OOB's

DRG January 31st, 2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecruitMonty (Post 836976)
Incidentally, I did a "Broken Link" check in the vanilla OOBs recently - USA and found a whole bunch of units with Nationality set to "0". Is this a bug?

NO it's not a "bug"...........it's a way to build a company sized formation with sub formations that ONLY show up in the company but not on their own.

RecruitMonty January 31st, 2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

NO it's not a "bug"...........it's a way to build a company sized formation with sub formations that ONLY show up in the company but not on their own.
Gotcha.