.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Help needed ! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=34811)

Ramiro May 23rd, 2007 09:08 AM

Help needed !

I have the following problem I am playing with Me Ermor and I am sieguing the pangea capitol. my main armie is constructed by undeath and the mages inside the fortress are summonging maeid every turn so I can not breach the walls. how can I breach the walls?

any sugestion?

Folket May 23rd, 2007 09:35 AM

Re: Help needed !

Bring more people. Surely you can reanimate more undead them he is able to get maneads.

I guess that you have death mages to lead your army. Are they besieging the castle or reanimating. If they are reanimating that may explain why you are not able to breach the walls. Only units commanded by commanders with siege order help when breaking down walls.

In general I believe that MA Ermor should be one of the easiest nations to bring down castles with.

johnarryn May 23rd, 2007 11:42 AM

Does Pangaea continue to get maenad in castles under siege? That would seem strange to me.

Edi May 23rd, 2007 11:57 AM

It's the same deal as Ulm's vampire counts summoning thralls, Etimmu summoning shades etc. It's a property of the monster to create summoned allies automatically, and it does not matter what type of monster it is. Hence maenads, even if it is a logical disconnect in a siege situation.

Manuk May 23rd, 2007 12:18 PM

later on, you can forge the horn (air magic) or the gate cleaver (earth?). And equip some commander. Be sure as said above to have the commanders who lead the troops doing siege and not something else.

Morkilus May 23rd, 2007 12:38 PM

Yeah, don't be stuck without a supply of siege items; you'll be recruiting something stupid like Troglodytes to take down a bunch of monkeys hiding in their treehouse. Remember strong (as in the stat) units count much more than weaker ones.

Ironhawk May 23rd, 2007 02:11 PM

Summon some strong death units. I dont use death that much... which of thier units have a good payoff of gems/strength? Behemoth?

Nick_K May 23rd, 2007 03:34 PM

Mindless undead are bad at sieging. Ghouls are the most massable non-mindless.
Flying units get a bonus IIRC - anyone had success with 'call of the winds' for sieging? They're cheap flyers, but the low strength might be a problem.

thejeff May 23rd, 2007 03:52 PM

I thought mindless undead were fine at sieging, but bad at resisting a siege.

Call of the Winds is good for sieging. I make heavy use of them with Vanheim early on. Few, really tough troops plus plentiful air magic. Big problem with the birds is any attempt to break the siege usually makes them get slaughtered and scatter. Maybe put them on Guard Commander?

MaxWilson May 23rd, 2007 04:00 PM

Yeah, I used Call of the Winds frequently as Helheim. Put the birds on Guard Commander on a mage, or on a commander set to Hold/Hold/Hold/Hold/Hold/Stay behind troops. Problem is that if an attempt is made to break the siege on the same turn you summon the birds, they don't have orders yet and so they charge into combat. Later on I prefer Gate Cleavers and Wall Shakers, but the birds are pretty okay at breaking sieges and give you flying commanders (who are *not* upkeep-free) to shuttle troops around.

-Max