.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Windows TCP/IP hosting Scripts (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31031)

therockfrog October 16th, 2006 02:23 PM

Windows TCP/IP hosting Scripts

Hi,

I am setting up a network game with 11 guys. It's being setup originally as a PBEM game but I am supposed to start it up as a 24 hour hosting TCP/IP game. We have to set it up first as PBEM since no one can get on at the same time to start it as a regular network game but we want it 24 hour quickhost. One other guy is setting a game up like this but using Linux (and it works for him) whereas I am using Windows and not sure how to do start it...any help would be appreciated.

Graeme Dice October 16th, 2006 02:36 PM

Re: Windows TCP/IP hosting Scripts

Quote:

therockfrog said:
We have to set it up first as PBEM since no one can get on at the same time to start it as a regular network game but we want it 24 hour quickhost.

You don't actually all need to be available at the same time. When the server is first started, it waits for everybody to upload their pretenders, then you can start the game once they are all available.

therockfrog October 16th, 2006 03:13 PM

True..but for some reason they want to do it this way and so I'm trying to find the right startup.

Ironhawk October 17th, 2006 04:18 PM

If you are going to be running a regular networked dom3 server then you really are better off starting the game that way. Why on earth would your players have problems starting that way if they intended to play that way eventually? It doesnt make any sense. You dont even need to use quickhost when you first begin the game, if that is something they are worried about?

Really tho its just a bizarre request. You should tell your players to step into line and respect the work you are doing to host the game.

Ironhawk October 17th, 2006 04:23 PM

That said, if you are dead-set on doing it this way, you need to give more information as to what problem you are encountering?

Starting a server on windows uses the same command line parameters as you would find on linux. Alternatively, you can even run the server via the normal dom3 game UI (tho this is not recommended as it gets a little funny when you want to play your turn). If you are looking for the command line itself, it goes something like this:

dom3 -ST -port <port here> <game name here>

Keep in mind thats all from memory tho so I could be missing something. All the game setting switches have been removed in this command line since you say you only want to run a previously made game, rather than generate a new one.