.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Best Magic Path Synergies? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=40988)

OmikronWarrior October 24th, 2008 02:36 AM

Best Magic Path Synergies?

As a mental exercise (and maybe part of a guide), I'm compiling the best combinations of two magic paths in the game. I was curious to see if others shared my values.

1. Earth and Astral

2. Water and Nature
3. Blood and Astral

Actually, other than the first one, I'm pretty much open in almost any argument as for relative utility and importance. For example, Death and Astral is great to have on national mages, but less great on a Pretender.

Lingchih October 24th, 2008 03:09 AM

Re: Best Magic Path Synergies?

I like Nature and Earth. But it only really works for Pan.

Tifone October 24th, 2008 03:22 AM

Well high N and E can be good on a Pretender, for the nice globals of both but even for super-tough, very durable sacreds. Of course you plan to do the real damage with something else while they take the beating ^^

Earth (for battlefield) and Blood (for rituals) go well with pretty much everything.

HoneyBadger October 24th, 2008 03:57 AM

Fire and Water are very nice, but good luck getting them together. I have trouble even imagining Mod Nations that would get a lot of those two, without trying to shoehorn a theme around them...

Possibly an Iceland/Greenland thing, with volcanoes and hot springs bursting up through glaciers, or something with genies.

Tifone October 24th, 2008 04:05 AM

Mmh? Except for the high bless, with the Pretender, I don't see uses of F and W together on a mage :confused:

Zeldor October 24th, 2008 04:10 AM

Tartarians bring nice path combinations :)

Tifone:
Rune Smashers!

rdonj October 24th, 2008 04:13 AM

And elemental staves. And a few decent spells I don't entirely recall at the moment.

HoneyBadger October 24th, 2008 04:15 AM

The bless ofcourse is nice, but you also get Boil, Geyser, Acid Spray, Acid Bolt, Acid Rain, and Acid Storm--not to mention Rune Smasher, Staff of Corrosion, and Staff of Elemental Mastery. Oh and the artifact 'Ember'.

Somebody mentioned, quite a while back, the thought of mass-producing Staves of Corrosion. I've yet to figure out a good way to do that early in a game, with any Nation, but it would still be a lot of fun if you could figure it out.

Digress October 24th, 2008 04:35 AM

Don't forget "Manifest Vitriol" - a nasty suprise for someone not expecting to run into a bunch of these little nasties.

Edratman October 24th, 2008 06:57 AM

If you want to test out every possible path combination, excluding blood, the mod "Gem Valley" provides that capability in a wild magic manner. :D