.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Midgard Play Tips (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35463)

OmikronWarrior July 19th, 2007 09:03 PM

Midgard Play Tips

I'm workin on a Late Age Vanheim play style. Considering how high scales and a minimal reliance on creating thugs/SCs is my play style regardless of nation, I've decided to go with a high scale strategy with a dormant pretender with high magic in at least one area for casting globals.

Beyond that, I've decided that Midgard's sacred unit is simply two expensive to produce in great numbers, so I'm trying to find the best mix of regular troops to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, does anyone know how Volva units work in preventing bad events? Do they just have a chance of adverting a bad event in the territory they are in, or does it go further and stop events from occurring accross all occupied territory. Or do they effect luck scales? I'm really clueless here.

Shovah32 July 19th, 2007 09:21 PM

Re: Midgard Play Tips

Firstly: Vans are great. They are expensive and capitol only(for LA) but are considered one of the most powerful and cost effective sacred units in the game. Generally used with W9, often with F9 added and occasionally with E9 or N4-9.

I often play midgard without a bless and it works very well. Your general plan should be having high gold scales(order firstly. Then growth and production) and mass producing skinshifters at every fort you build. Your research would be quite fruitful if you focused on getting battlefield enchantments like storm, fog warriors and will of the fates(aswell as protection boosting spells such as army of lead/gold and marble warriors) to boost your very powerful troops - first skinshifter form tears through most units with its greatsword, particularly expensive high protection units due to its single powerful attack. The second form can kill most things: Its multiple attacks handle chaff, its high strength lets it go against high protection troops and the multiple attacks and high strength mean elite units such as cavalry cant hide behind their high defence.

MaxWilson July 19th, 2007 09:29 PM

Vans are soon to be capital-only in all ages, according to the progress page.

-Max

Shovah32 July 19th, 2007 09:31 PM

Probably a good idea, too limit their usability later on if nothing else - 10 castles churning out F9W9N4 vans who will get fog warriors, will of the fates and army of lead cast on them can be fun but a little over powered.

Saulot July 19th, 2007 09:58 PM

Preventing bad events only works in the province the unit is in. It's a chance that any normally occurring negative event is negated.
As for whether this is (A) an individual chance per unit ie. multiple checks, for example 5%, 5%, 5%, or whether there is (B) only one check, a cumulative for all such units (15%) I'm not sure.

Jazzepi July 19th, 2007 11:56 PM

I would recommend this. I've had good luck with it. Make researching Mist and Storm high priority.

To begin with, you have good randoms as LA Midgard, getting into high level death and nature should be easy, and you can random up the occasional A3. Storm can be cast off the A3s, and mist can be cast off of any A2 both with help of gems. Storm and Mist together cut precision to 1/4 of its original value. This is great if you are spamming werewolves as you have no archers, and it also messes up enemy mages's precision.

Pretender - Any good dormant/imprisoned rainbow mage works. I would avoid paths that you can already item boost/summon yourself up through. This includes nature, and death. Focus on ones you wouldn't otherwise have access to like fire, water, earth, and astral. I find earth is difficult to get to level 5 for forge of the ancients. Astral also has a lot of boosters, but it's much easier to forge rings of wizardy if you don't have to cobble a ton of boosters together to get there.

I would recommend a mage with at least level 3 in any path that you wish to search with. If you search a province for level 3 in any given path, you've go a 90% chance of getting all sites of that type.

Scales
Dom 5
Order 3
Prod 3
Cold 1-2
Misfortune 2
Magic 1

This should give you plenty of points to play with. You may want to pickup growth 1 just to have that slow growing factor, and to help counter blood hunting if you plan to expand into blood magic later on.

Other than that, just build tons, and tons, and tons of skinshifters. You can stick with one castle for much longer into the game then other people. If you can, try to rush someone who has an awake pretender who is weak to swarming (dragon). Or someone who does not have a pretender currently awake. If you run into an undead pretender try either lightning bolt, or dust to dust. Unfortunately, your D2 guys have crappy precision, so you will have trouble killing undead pretenders in very high dominion with dust to dust.

Again, research to storm + mist for the 1-2 punch against archers. That's pretty much all there is to it http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif I've tried this strategy twice, and been successful with it each time.

Jazzepi